Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dominic Ball : Club legend 20:24 - Feb 21 with 8305 viewsT_Block

My man of the match yesterday.I thought he was very good in a team that is getting tired.
Tick in the for column.
Can pass like an Arse then like Faurlin-better than most think.
I would really like to know how flashy he is in training
Pushing Todd Kane for club legend
One to enjoy yesterday....
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 14:13 - Feb 22 with 1980 viewsgazza1

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 12:46 - Feb 22 by essextaxiboy

I agree with all of this , cant fault his attitude and commitment but he doesnt get a start if Johannson Field and LTC are match fit IMO .

He gets around the pitch more than Carroll, works harder, tackles more, scores more, heads the ball more, gets forward more, defends better and you want Carroll in the side ahead of Ball and you have seen Field playing for an hour....strange.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 14:14]
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 14:37 - Feb 22 with 1936 viewsMalintabuk

And possibly scored the goal or at least shot, of the season so far
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 15:36 - Feb 22 with 1871 viewsPinnerPaul

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 11:36 - Feb 22 by simmo

I hope so Pinner, but I think that depends exclusively on fitness. As I mention in my post another thing Ball has going for him is his durability, he's always available in any position.

Fingers crossed Field has fully recovered and goes on to be reliable, but so often players like that are always unable to play full seasons. George Thomas looks another one...

Yep fair point. TBF to me! I did say in another thread I could see him being a star AFTER having a decent pre season and a good run of games leading up to Christmas this year (next season)
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 15:38 - Feb 22 with 1865 viewsPinnerPaul

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 12:12 - Feb 22 by Geoff78

Agree with most of this. Until we can go full Barçaball (although that's not wearing well at the moment) I can settle for Dom. I made him MotM a couple of games ago. He's one of those players whose errors get more attention than his positive play. He has certainly provided energy to our midfield on more than one occasion when others have looked tired or apathetic. His passing isn't worse than a number of other players.

Will be interesting to see how Field fits in longer term. People say he's got much more talent than all of our regular midfield, but I think he may be another Wells/Hugill loanee, who after a decent half season with us is priced out of our range.

Difference with Field is that we have the option to buy already.
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 22:06 - Feb 22 with 1777 viewsswisscottage

I'm also a big fan of the 'Dominator'. I especially like the way he receives turns and drives forward in fluid style.

He's improved from last season and given he's only had 150 first team appearances at the age of 25, there's more improvement to come under our coaching team I feel.

One of the reasons he's so inconsistent with his passing and his drives forward, is he plays at a pace that his technique isn't quite solid enough for. If he can improve his technique to match he will be some player.
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 22:59 - Feb 22 with 1727 viewsdavman

He is so QPR and fun to watch going from Prem Class to Conference within seconds. As well as he played on Saturday, there was one moment where he was marking their no. 5 (Kelly?) out on the right and then just switched off and let him run inside untracked. That could have easily ended up as a goal. I was busy looking for Dom Ball to give himself a rollocking ('cos he would if it were anyone else) before I realised that he wouldn't do it to himself...

As I say, can be excellent at times, but then shows the touch of a Sunday League player or switches off completely defensively.

Like QPR, can be very limited...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 10:14 - Feb 23 with 1626 viewsrsonist

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 14:13 - Feb 22 by gazza1

He gets around the pitch more than Carroll, works harder, tackles more, scores more, heads the ball more, gets forward more, defends better and you want Carroll in the side ahead of Ball and you have seen Field playing for an hour....strange.

Passing the football is kind of a big deal.
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 11:28 - Feb 23 with 1562 viewsParkRoyalR

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 09:54 - Feb 22 by simmo

Dom Ball isn't very good. He often struggles with the more polished basics - passes at the wrong weight and onto the wrong side of a team mate, he let's the ball run across him, misjudges the speed and then ends up having to chase after it (my personal favourite) and when the opposition play at pace he's unable to keep up, thrashing around in the middle and inevitably fouling/getting booked.

But what do you want from a 'limited' player for QPR?
- You want them to work their nuts off so that even if all of those things are true, they are at the very least nuisance value.
- You want them to be selfless, so when their pals are gambling and end up out of position, they fill the gap and track the runners.
- You want them to be aware of their limitations, so when the chance comes to use the ball they're looking for those more capable to make things happen.
- You want them to train well and be fit, so that they're always available for selection and later in games, can use their stamina to readdress the imbalance against superior opposition.

Ball does all of this and the fact his bumbling, tazmanian devil stylings occasionally lead to a shoulder drop, step over, drive through the pitch and lay off for a chance for someone to score, make him a very QPR type of player. A fan that's won a short term contract in a raffle and is doing all they can.

Sometimes I wish we had better players so we didn't have to use him every week, but mostly I'm glad we're still enough of the 'sh*t but local' QPR to appreciate a man like Dom Ball.

I must admit to being super-impressed by your eye for detail and analysis - you know when you read something and the penny drops and you just go - oh yeah - that's so spot on - particularly comment about letting ball run across him and misjudging its speed and then chasing after - reckon you could add something to our recruitment + coaching staff with that eye for detail!

Great to then say yeah he has a few limitations but let's recognise all that he does well - and he ours - and he cares - so lets back the lad 100%!

I'll await your thoughts on Toddy Kane and Captain America as although similarly have limitations, both contributing to a competitive Championship team that has spirit and is being competitive, which is all we ask for..most of the time!
Login to get fewer ads

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 11:47 - Feb 23 with 1542 viewsheadhoops

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 09:54 - Feb 22 by simmo

Dom Ball isn't very good. He often struggles with the more polished basics - passes at the wrong weight and onto the wrong side of a team mate, he let's the ball run across him, misjudges the speed and then ends up having to chase after it (my personal favourite) and when the opposition play at pace he's unable to keep up, thrashing around in the middle and inevitably fouling/getting booked.

But what do you want from a 'limited' player for QPR?
- You want them to work their nuts off so that even if all of those things are true, they are at the very least nuisance value.
- You want them to be selfless, so when their pals are gambling and end up out of position, they fill the gap and track the runners.
- You want them to be aware of their limitations, so when the chance comes to use the ball they're looking for those more capable to make things happen.
- You want them to train well and be fit, so that they're always available for selection and later in games, can use their stamina to readdress the imbalance against superior opposition.

Ball does all of this and the fact his bumbling, tazmanian devil stylings occasionally lead to a shoulder drop, step over, drive through the pitch and lay off for a chance for someone to score, make him a very QPR type of player. A fan that's won a short term contract in a raffle and is doing all they can.

Sometimes I wish we had better players so we didn't have to use him every week, but mostly I'm glad we're still enough of the 'sh*t but local' QPR to appreciate a man like Dom Ball.

great analysis Simmo - he's also one of our more vocal players, and his facial gestures show how much he cares about the team and winning. Just needs to roll his shorts up Samba style to go to the next level.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 13:53 - Feb 23 with 1472 viewsgazza1

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 10:14 - Feb 23 by rsonist

Passing the football is kind of a big deal.

Relatively easy to pass the ball around where he passes the ball with lots of time, space and no pressures......its the last third where it is difficult where close 'touch-tight' marking goes as a norm. How many assists has LTC got this season??
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 14:25 - Feb 23 with 1460 viewssimmo

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 13:53 - Feb 23 by gazza1

Relatively easy to pass the ball around where he passes the ball with lots of time, space and no pressures......its the last third where it is difficult where close 'touch-tight' marking goes as a norm. How many assists has LTC got this season??

But LTC was starting every game for us, so surely that means he's good enough?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 16:22 - Feb 23 with 1396 viewsNorthantsHoop

Sort of player you want in the team, beats himself up a bit, cares and tries to motivate others, saw him do a lot of that, when in the ground last season. He might not be the most stylish of players, but is really effective and can get those attacks going, and to be honest that winner against Cardiff he can dine out on that for years.
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 16:53 - Feb 23 with 1360 viewsgazza1

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 14:25 - Feb 23 by simmo

But LTC was starting every game for us, so surely that means he's good enough?

Lucky man to be in the side as frequently as he was.......injuries, shortages were the prime reason. Doing much better now without him. Doubt if he will get his contract renewed and if he does he will be 'warming the bench' on most match days.
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 16:54 - Feb 23 with 1356 viewsgazza1

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 16:22 - Feb 23 by NorthantsHoop

Sort of player you want in the team, beats himself up a bit, cares and tries to motivate others, saw him do a lot of that, when in the ground last season. He might not be the most stylish of players, but is really effective and can get those attacks going, and to be honest that winner against Cardiff he can dine out on that for years.

Agreed.....
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:20 - Feb 23 with 1338 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 16:53 - Feb 23 by gazza1

Lucky man to be in the side as frequently as he was.......injuries, shortages were the prime reason. Doing much better now without him. Doubt if he will get his contract renewed and if he does he will be 'warming the bench' on most match days.

Well, he started off the season in the team first and only dropped to the bench a hand full of times, so I'm not sure we can say his high number of appearances (as much as Ball or Cameron up until his injury) were down to anything else but Warburton rating him.

Personally, I agree that he's not at his best at 10 or 11. I like him as one of the two deep midfielders, preferably beside Ball. I think his positional sense is solid and he protected that Barbet/Niko channel well when placed there, I like his passing and he's good at the first pass out of defence to the attacking midfielders. I thought he was crucial to us when we were trying to play through oppo midfields with balls on the ground as he was the only one who could consistently play that ball. The other midfielders played in that role either wouldn't try it often enough or weren't consistent enough at it when they did, leaving us exposed on the break.

I think Ball and Carroll are completely different players who've both done a solid job for us this year in those deep roles. I like them both.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:39 - Feb 23 with 1309 viewsdanehoop

So are we saying that Ball is a bit like Holloway was in his era. Passionate, committed and competitive which tended to make up for the absence of quality in places?

Never knowingly understood

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:18 - Feb 23 with 1272 viewsgazza1

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:39 - Feb 23 by danehoop

So are we saying that Ball is a bit like Holloway was in his era. Passionate, committed and competitive which tended to make up for the absence of quality in places?

You could put it that way......
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:27 - Feb 23 with 1241 viewsgazza1

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:20 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, he started off the season in the team first and only dropped to the bench a hand full of times, so I'm not sure we can say his high number of appearances (as much as Ball or Cameron up until his injury) were down to anything else but Warburton rating him.

Personally, I agree that he's not at his best at 10 or 11. I like him as one of the two deep midfielders, preferably beside Ball. I think his positional sense is solid and he protected that Barbet/Niko channel well when placed there, I like his passing and he's good at the first pass out of defence to the attacking midfielders. I thought he was crucial to us when we were trying to play through oppo midfields with balls on the ground as he was the only one who could consistently play that ball. The other midfielders played in that role either wouldn't try it often enough or weren't consistent enough at it when they did, leaving us exposed on the break.

I think Ball and Carroll are completely different players who've both done a solid job for us this year in those deep roles. I like them both.

He did play frequently and I am sure that MW thought he was worthy to start so many games. My view is that he added very little to the Team. He passed square balls most of the time, he picked it deep where he had time and space, rarely looked for difficult balls into advanced players, rarely got into dangerous positions, cant recall him getting into the box(either end), one pace, rarely lasted for 90 minutes, and it goes on.

I saw him live against Reading, where he had the ball more than anyone in the team during the 1st half and looked good, I reiterate 'looked' good but everything was in his own half. Nothing too positive basically, The second half he just faded away and basically done nothing and rarely got the ball. Got subbed in the end.

I am sure MW will give you answers why he picked him but LTC is 'not for me'.....give me Dom Ball every time in midfield.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 18:28]
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:33 - Feb 23 with 1232 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:27 - Feb 23 by gazza1

He did play frequently and I am sure that MW thought he was worthy to start so many games. My view is that he added very little to the Team. He passed square balls most of the time, he picked it deep where he had time and space, rarely looked for difficult balls into advanced players, rarely got into dangerous positions, cant recall him getting into the box(either end), one pace, rarely lasted for 90 minutes, and it goes on.

I saw him live against Reading, where he had the ball more than anyone in the team during the 1st half and looked good, I reiterate 'looked' good but everything was in his own half. Nothing too positive basically, The second half he just faded away and basically done nothing and rarely got the ball. Got subbed in the end.

I am sure MW will give you answers why he picked him but LTC is 'not for me'.....give me Dom Ball every time in midfield.

All very good points, Gazz.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:33 - Feb 24 with 1122 viewssimmo

Up until his injury, Tom Carroll played the most progressive passes per 90mins for central midfielders in the Championship. I'm sure you'll just say it's nonsense, just because, but maybe the trope that LTC is just a sideways passer isn't true for him this season.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:36 - Feb 24 with 1117 viewsNorthernr

Is it not slightly strange to say Willock isn't good enough because Warburton doesn't pick him, but Carroll who Warburton picks every week is also not good enough?
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:02 - Feb 24 with 1093 viewsAntti_Heinola

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 17:36 - Feb 24 by Northernr

Is it not slightly strange to say Willock isn't good enough because Warburton doesn't pick him, but Carroll who Warburton picks every week is also not good enough?

Anyone watching earlier this season could see that Carroll was playing very well and was looking for forward balls as often as he could. Would have been fascinating to see him playing in this set up with a more confident side and with Austin scoring. It's all very well saying 'how many assists' but I think there was some stat saying Chair had created more chances then most people in the division, but had not got an assist. The problem with assists is that they rely on someone actually converting.

But let's get it right. Gazza speaks a lot of sense and his posts are always worth a read. But he is a contrarian who enjoys arguing the opposite side of popular opinion. He's a stoker of debate, and nothing wrong with that, but I don't take all his posts seriously - and nor should anyone. I'm sure he doesn't.

Bare bones.

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:04 - Feb 24 with 1090 viewsessextaxiboy

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 14:13 - Feb 22 by gazza1

Carroll is the best passer of the ball in the Club , he makes the midfield tick , constantly recycling the ball and playing other players in He is a creator , We have Johanson(sp) to do all of the stuff you mention without giving the ball away and collecting yellow cards . I have seen Field play for WBA .

I like Ball , I like his attitude and commitment . I would like to see him on the bench to come on and see the game out .
Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:38 - Feb 24 with 1039 viewsrsonist

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:02 - Feb 24 by Antti_Heinola

Anyone watching earlier this season could see that Carroll was playing very well and was looking for forward balls as often as he could. Would have been fascinating to see him playing in this set up with a more confident side and with Austin scoring. It's all very well saying 'how many assists' but I think there was some stat saying Chair had created more chances then most people in the division, but had not got an assist. The problem with assists is that they rely on someone actually converting.

But let's get it right. Gazza speaks a lot of sense and his posts are always worth a read. But he is a contrarian who enjoys arguing the opposite side of popular opinion. He's a stoker of debate, and nothing wrong with that, but I don't take all his posts seriously - and nor should anyone. I'm sure he doesn't.

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:53 - Feb 24 with 1024 viewsrsonist

Dominic Ball : Club legend on 18:04 - Feb 24 by essextaxiboy

Carroll is the best passer of the ball in the Club , he makes the midfield tick , constantly recycling the ball and playing other players in He is a creator , We have Johanson(sp) to do all of the stuff you mention without giving the ball away and collecting yellow cards . I have seen Field play for WBA .

I like Ball , I like his attitude and commitment . I would like to see him on the bench to come on and see the game out .

Yes. There are a lot of ways into having a reasonable discussion about Carroll's value and suitability to a side but criticising a textbook deep lying playmaker for not doing what an attacking midfielder, a box to box, or a destructive defensive midfielder do isn't how to start going about it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024