Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Science 02:38 - Mar 1 with 3596 viewstimcocking

My arse. Sorry, but taking off our talismanic best player for somebody who is worse than lots of the people on this forum is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever come across. It has a massive psychological effect on the rest of our players for a start. That substitution does not just effect Charlie Austin, it effects the whole team. Absolute bollox is what it is.

Everybody who has played competitive football will understand how nobody on that team playing in that match wanted Charlie taken off for Dykes so early, it's a huge mistake without doubt. Ask yourself how pleased Birmingham will have been to see it.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 2:44]
Sports Science on 02:58 - Mar 1 with 3568 viewsMatch82

I dont know why this is the one people are annoyed about. When we need a goal and take him off I get it, but we were winning, against a team who hadn't shown anything to be scared of and we'd let in two goals from open play in the last seven games, most of which were against way tougher opposition. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect us to hold on or extend our lead and to my mind we didn't look any worse after he came off. For 25 minutes afterwards we were well on top and didn't look in any danger.

If we had left Charlie on would we not have conceded the two goals?
Sports Science on 09:19 - Mar 1 with 3382 viewsnix

It would have been far more ridiculous for us to have kept him on, lose anyway, and have him pull a muscle and be out for six out of the next eight weeks.

As Clive says, our current (lack of) injury situation would suggest they're actually getting it right, even though it's annoying for us.

I know Dykes is the latest boo boy and responsible for all ills at the moment but actually I thought he did alright when he came on and actually enabled us to keep possession a bit better in their half. More significant was the ref's decision to give a foul by Bonne when he was almost definitely going to score, then not one against the player who did a worse barge against Kane, and the out and out miss by Stefan.

We didn't play well across the team on Saturday, which was in large part about having so little down time after Preston. Charlie's been great for us, but he can't perform miracles and I want him to last the season.
Sports Science on 09:25 - Mar 1 with 3369 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First of all, leave him on and you get 90 minutes maybe, but maybe you don't get two more months out of him.

Secondly, Austin has to ask himself why at 31 he's not fit enough to play ninety minutes.

Thirdly, "somebody who is worse than lots of people on this forum". Take a breath, please.

Fourthly "everybody who has played competitive football". Do we know anyone on here who has?

and

Fifthly - as Clive regularly points out - do you think Warburton wants to take Austin off?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sports Science on 09:57 - Mar 1 with 3296 viewsPhildo

I watched the Pele documentary on Netflix yesterday and one thing that struck me was that at the 1970 world cup people were saying - Pele is old now etc, even Alf Ramsey was at it.

Pele was 29 in 1970. Only 29 and seen as an old boy. Sports science has extended sportspeople's careers a great deal.
Sports Science on 10:08 - Mar 1 with 3257 viewsdaveB

Taking him off didn't seem to have any effect on the game, we were poor when he was on and poor when he went off imo

Taking him off after 55 or 75 had little effect on the result.
Sports Science on 11:24 - Mar 1 with 3155 viewsbakerloo8

Sports Science on 10:08 - Mar 1 by daveB

Taking him off didn't seem to have any effect on the game, we were poor when he was on and poor when he went off imo

Taking him off after 55 or 75 had little effect on the result.

Don't agree with the OP at all and agree that we were poor with Austin on the pitch and poor with him off. Difference is that Austin will always score goals whie he's playing, and Dykes likley wont.
Sports Science on 11:37 - Mar 1 with 3148 viewsdaveB

Sports Science on 11:24 - Mar 1 by bakerloo8

Don't agree with the OP at all and agree that we were poor with Austin on the pitch and poor with him off. Difference is that Austin will always score goals whie he's playing, and Dykes likley wont.

True but you want Austin fit for the full season, he's not played regular football for a few years now, he was in and out a lot at both Southampton and West Brom so they have to be careful with him. There has been a lot of complaints about these kind of subs but they seem to know what they are doing as we are not getting loads of minor injuries through fatigue so are able to have our key players involved most of the time.
Sports Science on 11:49 - Mar 1 with 3127 viewsenfieldargh

what made the difference was the Brum Croation. He desnt come on then they get no momentum

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Sports Science on 12:50 - Mar 1 with 3051 viewsFrankRightguard

Science shmience eh. I’d rather him come off with time left in games than we run him into the ground and then don’t see him at all for the last six weeks of the season. But what do the experts know?

*And apologies for the down vote. Fat fingers!
[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 12:52]
Sports Science on 13:01 - Mar 1 with 3020 viewsstevec

Sports Science on 11:49 - Mar 1 by enfieldargh

what made the difference was the Brum Croation. He desnt come on then they get no momentum

Watched the goal this morning, great strike, they happen but... I can't help think that maybe the player marking him didn't seem focused enough to any danger. It was a long way out but the Croatian didn't make a lot of movement and still had a view at the whole of Diengs goal.

He may well have placed it just as perfect but you wonder if the player concerned had bust a gut to narrow his angle at the very least, the shot may not have been so perfect.

Only watched it once but think that player was Dykes, though stand to be corrected.
Sports Science on 15:05 - Mar 1 with 2923 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Sports Science on 13:01 - Mar 1 by stevec

Watched the goal this morning, great strike, they happen but... I can't help think that maybe the player marking him didn't seem focused enough to any danger. It was a long way out but the Croatian didn't make a lot of movement and still had a view at the whole of Diengs goal.

He may well have placed it just as perfect but you wonder if the player concerned had bust a gut to narrow his angle at the very least, the shot may not have been so perfect.

Only watched it once but think that player was Dykes, though stand to be corrected.

I only watched the highlights Boston uploaded but I think you can hear MW shouting at the top of his lungs to close down the shooter before he unloaded that superb goal .
The loss stings but its the first time in a few games we imploded late and gave up all 3 points so hopefully we can get back on the horse .
No idea on Austin just switch it up and bring him on at halftime for once not off it cant hurt
Sports Science on 23:50 - Mar 1 with 2796 viewsB_Wad

Do any of you know how planned in advance the game minutes and substitutions are? I've always assumed the coaching staff discusses game plan and individual fitness conditions at least a day in advance and then with players so that Austin would know pregame that he's probably only going to be on for about 60 minutes and can pace himself accordingly.
I'm ignorant on this but having some athletics background I'd be shocked if they didn't plan like that.
Sports Science on 00:06 - Mar 2 with 2781 viewsdistortR

Sports Science on 23:50 - Mar 1 by B_Wad

Do any of you know how planned in advance the game minutes and substitutions are? I've always assumed the coaching staff discusses game plan and individual fitness conditions at least a day in advance and then with players so that Austin would know pregame that he's probably only going to be on for about 60 minutes and can pace himself accordingly.
I'm ignorant on this but having some athletics background I'd be shocked if they didn't plan like that.

Basically, i phone Mark the night before the game and inform him what time to make the substitutions. I collect the resulting money from the bookies a couple of days later and divvy it out accordingly. Why Les has to have a cut I don't get, but you know what he's like.
Hope that helps.
Sports Science on 00:18 - Mar 2 with 2766 viewsBoston

If Charlie only has 60 minutes of puff, might it not be better to put him on when the oppo has been running around a bit? With five subs, it's well worth thinking about.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sports Science on 08:04 - Mar 2 with 2668 viewsnix

Sports Science on 00:18 - Mar 2 by Boston

If Charlie only has 60 minutes of puff, might it not be better to put him on when the oppo has been running around a bit? With five subs, it's well worth thinking about.

Maybe but often in the Championship teams score and then kill the game, which is harder when we've scored first. Somehow it's easier psychologically to defend a lead than to constantly be defending a nil.

I can understand why they start with Charlie. Let's face it, it worked in lots of games. It seems like we're struggling a bit again as soon as we're not getting rest time and time on the training pitch. It's possible that we're more affected by having players with not so much experience in the Championship. Stefan and Charlie make a big difference, but they're not totally match fit, so they need a bit more handling fitness wise.

The other thing to take into account is some teams start improving when their backs are against the wall. Like Barnsley beating Brentford last season to stay up.
Sports Science on 10:04 - Mar 2 with 2583 viewsNorthernr

Warbs tries to explain...

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-mark-warburton-qpr-changes-needed-0
Sports Science on 10:09 - Mar 2 with 2570 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sports Science on 10:04 - Mar 2 by Northernr

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-mark-warburton-qpr-changes-needed-0

Good stuff by Warburton, providing great info for supporters. The info on Chair, in particular, is interesting.

Not sure it's wise or necessary to include the "some bizarre" line, though. Focus on the positives, and Warburton is getting plenty of good support right now.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sports Science on 10:11 - Mar 2 with 2569 viewsgolborne

Sports Science on 11:24 - Mar 1 by bakerloo8

Correct, but arguably brighter when he went off. Who was back trying to block the shot for their 2nd goal while our defensive, but daydreamy midfielders looked on
Sports Science on 10:24 - Mar 2 with 2542 viewswombat

Sports Science on 10:11 - Mar 2 by golborne

Correct, but arguably brighter when he went off. Who was back trying to block the shot for their 2nd goal while our defensive, but daydreamy midfielders looked on

i think it was niko who after hes been given his four year deal im sorry to say looks lower league at best, its ok though we got 250k for manning so was worth it in the long run

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Sports Science on 10:53 - Mar 2 with 2500 viewsderbyhoop

Sports Science on 10:04 - Mar 2 by Northernr

Exactly this.
Some people get it but plenty don't.
They may be top athletes but we know that if we play at 90% capacity in this League we'll probably get beaten.
Sports science informs the management when players are below par. We, as fans, don't have access to that info.

As Warbs said, a minor injury to a player at the moment and they could miss 5 games. And minor injuries (muscle tears, etc) are more likely when players are exhausted.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Sports Science on 11:45 - Mar 2 with 2438 viewsnix

Sports Science on 10:24 - Mar 2 by wombat

i think it was niko who after hes been given his four year deal im sorry to say looks lower league at best, its ok though we got 250k for manning so was worth it in the long run

Why do you imply that we sold him because we wanted the £250k? We sold him because he didn't want to play for us any more. So we might as well have got rid of him than having him stinking out the dressing room. It was a relief when BOS went for that reason.

And calling Niko non-league is unfair. Warbs sees enough in him and we gave him a contract so he could develop and be a reasonably priced back up. We can't afford to pay top dollar and I think we should give our less experienced players a bit of support instead of writing them off like so many people wrote off Furlong before he ended up in the Prem as first choice right back.
Sports Science on 18:14 - Mar 2 with 2296 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Warbs has an analyst, Sam Touhy, who will be collecting real time info on the performance of all the players on a laptop and he'll be passing info to Warbs which will be going into the mix deciding substitutions. Along with the medical staff input etc.

The OP couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. He should inform himself about the importance of performance analysis in professional football.

My guess is that sports science is probably is as important as the game situation in deciding subs.
Sports Science on 12:50 - Mar 4 with 2016 viewsfrancisbowles

I would have to disagree with timcocking on the preview page of last night's match. Teams defend from the front these days and therefore the strikers do put a lot of running in. I would also suggest that two of the centre backs get through their share of moving up and down and from side to side of the pitch. Cameron in the central role, rather less so. Hence why he has been available for every minute recently. I do agree with Myke though the De Wijs situation hasn't gone to plan. I can only assume he has overdone it a bit and picked up a strain or something.

I would also disagree with Tim on less training being a substitute for more minutes on the pitch. Fitness training is increased over a period of time and I believe, from my limited knowledge a few years back, that it takes a couple of weeks to get the benefit of a hard session, hence the importance of pre season. Their is little chance to do these sessions when you are constantly playing matches, as you need a minimum rest period of 72 hours before your event. Their is also the metal aspect. Playing games requires far more concentration, therefore is more fatiguing on the mind and subsequently the body. In conclusion, you can build up match fitness but you must be in condition before hand and you need to be mentally fresh and physically rested to get peak performance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024