Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Republic Of Ireland 21:39 - Mar 27 with 9891 viewsthame_hoops

WOW
Republic Of Ireland on 07:22 - Mar 30 with 1596 viewsdistortR

Republic Of Ireland on 23:55 - Mar 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Harsh on Southgate.

Last time we got to a WC Semi the Berlin Wall was still standing.

to be fair to Southgate, he'll leave a legacy in my household. He is now my favoured euphemism for an accidental fart - "Whoops! something just sneaked out the Southgate"
Republic Of Ireland on 11:06 - Mar 30 with 1509 viewsManinBlack

I understand that Luxembourg have improved and seem to recall them drawing in France not so long ago. However I think their win in Ireland was the first time they have won away since 2008.

Ireland has lost the quality players they used to have playing for the top sides which is an issue England have also had in recent years like the other home nations. If you have to make up a team from the championship you can hardly expect the team to be as good when your team 30 years ago was full of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc players.

I personally don't feel that other countries like Germany, Holland, Italy for example are as good as they used to be. Whether this is because there is more interest in the champions league with clubs I don't know but having less of your countrymen playing at the highest level must be detrimental to the national side. Only Spain seem to be consistent with no world Cup qualifying defeats since about 1993 or something ridiculous.

When I used to visit the Limerick area it always struck me that the locals were more interested in how Limerick, Tipperary and Clare were doing in GAA than the Irish football team.

Of the home nations England has the best team clearly with players like Foden and Sterling from Man City but then they should with the Premiership. In theory England should beat the other home nations having the stronger squad. But then you look at rugby and Scotland, Wales and Ireland all stuffed England so a individual countries strengths lie in different sports. Countries can't be good at every sport.

Ireland and QPR are similar in that they both had better teams in the 80's and 90's then they have today. Money has played a big part in that for QPR with the Premier league creation. Many armchair fans will tell you international matches are boring with less quality than Premier league and Champions league matches because countries are not fielding 11 players of the same calibre. In that respect it is not just Ireland that are suffering from picking available quality.

Jack Charlton said his Ireland team lacked pace up front but he would still pick Aldridge and Quinn in preference to Johnnie Byrne presumably because they played for Liverpool and Man City.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 11:10]
Republic Of Ireland on 19:27 - Mar 30 with 1426 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Republic Of Ireland on 07:22 - Mar 30 by distortR

to be fair to Southgate, he'll leave a legacy in my household. He is now my favoured euphemism for an accidental fart - "Whoops! something just sneaked out the Southgate"

From the 1996 Joke Archive:

Q: What's the quickest way out of Wembley?
A: Through the South Gate.
Republic Of Ireland on 19:57 - Mar 30 with 1391 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ireland have a B Team out tonight and right-footed right-back Cyrus Christie is picked ahead of Manning at LB.

Scratch that, Christie's on the right, McClean's on the left.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 20:10]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Republic Of Ireland on 20:18 - Mar 30 with 1358 viewsdublinr

Republic Of Ireland on 19:57 - Mar 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Ireland have a B Team out tonight and right-footed right-back Cyrus Christie is picked ahead of Manning at LB.

Scratch that, Christie's on the right, McClean's on the left.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 20:10]

Its an odd one. I would imagine manning is pretty pissed off he can't get a game. If Kenny won't try him in a friendly against Qatar, when will he?

Republic Of Ireland on 20:18 - Mar 30 with 1357 viewsSK_hoops

Luxembourg 1 - 0 up against Portugal now.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 20:23]
Republic Of Ireland on 20:22 - Mar 30 with 1347 viewsLongsufferingR

Republic Of Ireland on 20:18 - Mar 30 by SK_hoops

Scored by the obviously Luxembourgian Gerson Rodrigues
Republic Of Ireland on 20:22 - Mar 30 with 1345 viewsMrSheen

Republic Of Ireland on 20:18 - Mar 30 by SK_hoops

Gibraltar 0-0 with the Dutch after 34 minutes.
Login to get fewer ads

Republic Of Ireland on 20:27 - Mar 30 with 1330 viewsCiderwithRsie

Republic Of Ireland on 20:22 - Mar 30 by LongsufferingR

Scored by the obviously Luxembourgian Gerson Rodrigues

There are loads of Portuguese people in Luxembourg, it's the local equivalent of Poles/Turks etc. I wonder which team they are all supporting tonight.
Republic Of Ireland on 20:27 - Mar 30 with 1330 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Republic Of Ireland on 20:18 - Mar 30 by dublinr

Its an odd one. I would imagine manning is pretty pissed off he can't get a game. If Kenny won't try him in a friendly against Qatar, when will he?

I personally wouldn't pick him ahead of McClean, and I don't really rate McClean either.

If he'd swapped Christie over then I'd be disappointed, though.

Republic Of Ireland on 20:29 - Mar 30 with 1323 viewsDannyPaddox

Maybe Ireland weren’t so shît after all and this is Luxembourg’s golden generation. In other words no longer will the Duchy be passed on the left hand side.
Republic Of Ireland on 20:37 - Mar 30 with 1301 viewsdublinr

Republic Of Ireland on 20:27 - Mar 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I personally wouldn't pick him ahead of McClean, and I don't really rate McClean either.

If he'd swapped Christie over then I'd be disappointed, though.

O yeah, I forgot you've a thing about our Ryan, Brian. New expansive passing game, giving youth a chance, etc - McLean?

Republic Of Ireland on 20:49 - Mar 30 with 1274 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Republic Of Ireland on 20:37 - Mar 30 by dublinr

O yeah, I forgot you've a thing about our Ryan, Brian. New expansive passing game, giving youth a chance, etc - McLean?

It's not a dig at Manning, it's my honest opinion.

I'm all for youth but there are only two options at LB tonight and I'd pick McClean as at least he can be trusted.

Manning will probably come on, you'd imagine. I really hope he does well as God knows we need options but he'd have to do it for a couple of years before I'd trust that his old ways have gone.

Republic Of Ireland on 22:05 - Mar 30 with 1213 viewsMyke

Republic Of Ireland on 20:49 - Mar 30 by BrianMcCarthy

It's not a dig at Manning, it's my honest opinion.

I'm all for youth but there are only two options at LB tonight and I'd pick McClean as at least he can be trusted.

Manning will probably come on, you'd imagine. I really hope he does well as God knows we need options but he'd have to do it for a couple of years before I'd trust that his old ways have gone.

Well you were right on both counts Brian. McClean started and Manning got a run. You didn't warn me that the game would be absolute dross though and we would be fortunate to get a draw !
Republic Of Ireland on 22:08 - Mar 30 with 1204 viewsBucksRanger

Republic Of Ireland on 22:05 - Mar 30 by Myke

Well you were right on both counts Brian. McClean started and Manning got a run. You didn't warn me that the game would be absolute dross though and we would be fortunate to get a draw !

Should have watched Mongolia instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56580898
Republic Of Ireland on 23:52 - Mar 30 with 1159 viewsDannyPaddox

Republic Of Ireland on 22:08 - Mar 30 by BucksRanger

Should have watched Mongolia instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56580898

Including the Mongolian Og* there were 9 different goal-scorers. I wonder how many times that’s been done internationally if at all.

*Own goal not Emperor
Republic Of Ireland on 00:56 - Mar 31 with 1131 viewsBoston

Hmm, I'll always back an England, Ireland (N or R), Scotland and Wales over foreign muck.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Republic Of Ireland on 01:18 - Mar 31 with 1113 viewsSydneyRs

Republic Of Ireland on 11:06 - Mar 30 by ManinBlack

I understand that Luxembourg have improved and seem to recall them drawing in France not so long ago. However I think their win in Ireland was the first time they have won away since 2008.

Ireland has lost the quality players they used to have playing for the top sides which is an issue England have also had in recent years like the other home nations. If you have to make up a team from the championship you can hardly expect the team to be as good when your team 30 years ago was full of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc players.

I personally don't feel that other countries like Germany, Holland, Italy for example are as good as they used to be. Whether this is because there is more interest in the champions league with clubs I don't know but having less of your countrymen playing at the highest level must be detrimental to the national side. Only Spain seem to be consistent with no world Cup qualifying defeats since about 1993 or something ridiculous.

When I used to visit the Limerick area it always struck me that the locals were more interested in how Limerick, Tipperary and Clare were doing in GAA than the Irish football team.

Of the home nations England has the best team clearly with players like Foden and Sterling from Man City but then they should with the Premiership. In theory England should beat the other home nations having the stronger squad. But then you look at rugby and Scotland, Wales and Ireland all stuffed England so a individual countries strengths lie in different sports. Countries can't be good at every sport.

Ireland and QPR are similar in that they both had better teams in the 80's and 90's then they have today. Money has played a big part in that for QPR with the Premier league creation. Many armchair fans will tell you international matches are boring with less quality than Premier league and Champions league matches because countries are not fielding 11 players of the same calibre. In that respect it is not just Ireland that are suffering from picking available quality.

Jack Charlton said his Ireland team lacked pace up front but he would still pick Aldridge and Quinn in preference to Johnnie Byrne presumably because they played for Liverpool and Man City.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 11:10]

Well yes England had a terrible six nations but could and should have won the last world cup and have been in 4 world cup finals. Still a very good side but in a bit of a form slump at the moment. No other home nation has been able to make a mark at the WC.

The GAA has done very well in raising interest and fending off what was once seen as a large threat from football. You never used to see loads of young people wearing GAA gear but you do now so they are doing something right. More limited opportunities for Irish players in the premiership than in the past also plays a part.

Australia has a similar problem where the local football comp has trouble breaking through against more established sports that have always been popular locally but not so much globally. Everyone's on the bandwagon during a world cup but straight off afterwards, or back to supporting Man Utd, Liverpool etc.
Republic Of Ireland on 02:06 - Apr 1 with 942 viewsBoston

Sorta ironic, the Kane’s and Maguires of this world would have been playing in green shirts 35 years ago. Good luck to ‘em whatever colours they adorn.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024