Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Republic Of Ireland 21:39 - Mar 27 with 9894 viewsthame_hoops

WOW
Republic Of Ireland on 08:30 - Mar 28 with 1922 viewsBklynRanger

Republic Of Ireland on 07:58 - Mar 28 by traininvain

Meanwhile, such a shame to see Ronaldo unfairly denied a last minute winner and good to see he kept his cool in the face of such adversity: https://mobile.twitter.com/eimaiNico/status/1375938886992531460

Classic. Looks like he's doing some sort of YouTube exercise video with all that arm raising.

I'm having trouble following international football at the minute tbh. Somehow lack of crowds for that one is a bridge too far. Commiserations to Ireland, a crowd present might have made a big difference.

Shocking record from Kenny so far though. Seems like they not only may not be playing the right suited style for that squad, but now they're just not playing for him. Having both has to be terminal for a manager.

Just remembered NI are playing America at Windsor later on in their first ever friendly. Might watch that. To quote Kev Keegan I would love it if we beat them, love it. Unlikely mind, again with no crowd.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 8:36]
Republic Of Ireland on 08:41 - Mar 28 with 1902 viewsdenhamhoop2

Republic Of Ireland on 07:58 - Mar 28 by traininvain

Meanwhile, such a shame to see Ronaldo unfairly denied a last minute winner and good to see he kept his cool in the face of such adversity: https://mobile.twitter.com/eimaiNico/status/1375938886992531460

To be fair it's nearly as far over the line as Clint Hill's header at The Reebok
Republic Of Ireland on 08:45 - Mar 28 with 1897 viewsDannyPaddox

Watched the whole game in midweek and despite the result I thought Ireland played some of their best football for years in Belgrade - admittedly following years of bad performances.

Had an interrupted viewing of last nights game but from what I saw Luxembourg looked better all over the park. They’re not the Luxembourg of old. They are no longer a squad of part-timers made up of postmen, firemen, civil servants and other assorted Trumptonesque figures. There was an ex-boss of a meat-packing factory in attendance but that was the Ireland manager. To put it into context Lux’s winner, a fantastic strike from outside the box, was hit by a Dynamo Kiev player with Champions League experience. (Ireland’s player of European experience is Doherty and he was awful in both games). Luxembourg apparently are the most improved team in the world in the past decade quietly going from something like 200 to 75th in the FIFA rankings.

Watching the game and seeing the other results leads me to two findings. 1. Certain tiers of European international football may be levelling off. 2. Ireland are shit - and I say that with a heavy heart.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 10:28]
Republic Of Ireland on 08:45 - Mar 28 with 1895 viewstraininvain

Republic Of Ireland on 08:41 - Mar 28 by denhamhoop2

To be fair it's nearly as far over the line as Clint Hill's header at The Reebok

It’s a shocking decision but you’d need a heart of stone not to laugh.
Republic Of Ireland on 09:14 - Mar 28 with 1845 viewsDannyPaddox

Thank you Ronaldo for the comic relief.

Republic Of Ireland on 09:28 - Mar 28 with 1834 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I feel sorry for Kenny but last night was pathetic. You go out to win the game not to supposedly play 'nice' football - notwithstanding the fact that Luxembourg played the better football anyway. The problem is the FAI are incompetent too, so Ireland probably won't qualify for a World Cup for another twenty years.

The Jack Charlton documentary is on BBC1 tomorrow - we really have fallen so far. Part of that is obviously the players - with Rice and Grealish in midfield last night, we're a different proposition - but the FAI regime under Delaney (who even appointed Kenny!) will take a long time to recover from.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 9:30]
Republic Of Ireland on 09:43 - Mar 28 with 1807 viewsstevec

Some of my favourite World cups were the 70’s when we couldn’t even qualify, 74 could just watch the Dutch and 78 Ally’s Tartan Army was an absolute joy, Teofilo Cubillas still one of my favourite ever players.

Let’s be honest, I’d be disappointed if any self respecting Irishman didn’t fall off his seat laughing if England lost to Luxembourg, rather like I did when seeing the news this morning. It’s what makes football exciting.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 9:46]
Republic Of Ireland on 09:44 - Mar 28 with 1807 viewsPaddyhoops

Republic Of Ireland on 21:57 - Mar 27 by Rangersw12

Brilliant to see

I take it your not a Republic fan .
Ireland were dreadful last night.
Players are just not there anymore.
Manager is clearly out of his depth.
Mick Mccarthy was laughed at but at least we were organised and looked competive.
I have no problem seeing other home nations doing well but let's be honest ,Ireland go the short way about not winning a world cup. England go the long way.
In the last two tournaments England came up against Croatia and Belgium and were found wanting.
Not Germany ,Brazil or Argentina.
I want to see England do well by the cold hard facts are they are found out at the latter stages of tournaments.
Let's hope with the players they have they can prove me wrong!!
Login to get fewer ads

Republic Of Ireland on 10:08 - Mar 28 with 1756 viewsnix

Republic Of Ireland on 09:44 - Mar 28 by Paddyhoops

Mick Mccarthy was laughed at but at least we were organised and looked competive.
I have no problem seeing other home nations doing well but let's be honest ,Ireland go the short way about not winning a world cup. England go the long way.
In the last two tournaments England came up against Croatia and Belgium and were found wanting.
I want to see England do well by the cold hard facts are they are found out at the latter stages of tournaments.

Agree with all of this. Maybe it's because we have so many top overseas players in our bigger teams that provide a lot of the creativity. Also I don't think we've generally got the best managers at international level.

I like to see the other home nations doing well too.

Also I'm not sure we've got tactically a top manager. Southgate has done pretty well but his background is a few years at Middlesbrough where he had a less than 30% win rate. He's hardly had to think up strategies against top international players. Which is why he's fine at the early parts of tournaments but probably wouldn't take us to the very top.
Republic Of Ireland on 10:10 - Mar 28 with 1755 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Republic Of Ireland on 08:30 - Mar 28 by BklynRanger

Classic. Looks like he's doing some sort of YouTube exercise video with all that arm raising.

I'm having trouble following international football at the minute tbh. Somehow lack of crowds for that one is a bridge too far. Commiserations to Ireland, a crowd present might have made a big difference.

Shocking record from Kenny so far though. Seems like they not only may not be playing the right suited style for that squad, but now they're just not playing for him. Having both has to be terminal for a manager.

Just remembered NI are playing America at Windsor later on in their first ever friendly. Might watch that. To quote Kev Keegan I would love it if we beat them, love it. Unlikely mind, again with no crowd.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 8:36]

They're definitely still playing for him, Bklyn. I didn't think that was a problem last night. I also think it's important that we stick to playing some football. The last ten years and more of bogball have wasted a generation of players and inspired our youth coaches to also play bogball.

We just weren't good enough last night

Best of luck later.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Republic Of Ireland on 10:11 - Mar 28 with 1751 viewsdublinr

Didn't watch because I assumed it would finish 0 0. I underestimated Luxembourg.

Very sad, but Kenny is so far out of his depth that its painful to watch - the interviews are worse than the football.

Meanwhile, he sent Manning home. I find it strange that with a side so bereft of attacking quality he plays a back three with Enda Stevens as the left wing back. Looks like a McCarthy/O'Neill type choice to me.

Republic Of Ireland on 10:20 - Mar 28 with 1727 viewsdistortR

Republic Of Ireland on 10:08 - Mar 28 by nix

Agree with all of this. Maybe it's because we have so many top overseas players in our bigger teams that provide a lot of the creativity. Also I don't think we've generally got the best managers at international level.

I like to see the other home nations doing well too.

Also I'm not sure we've got tactically a top manager. Southgate has done pretty well but his background is a few years at Middlesbrough where he had a less than 30% win rate. He's hardly had to think up strategies against top international players. Which is why he's fine at the early parts of tournaments but probably wouldn't take us to the very top.

totally agree with your last paragraph, I think we've already seen that.
Republic Of Ireland on 10:35 - Mar 28 with 1687 viewsRangersw12

No never been a Republic Fan. Ireland have played awful dull football for years and anytime they have done well and qualified for a tournament it was made up of English players not good enough to play for us.

I've also never understood why any English football fan would cheer on Ireland as no different to cheering on any other European country.

As for England it will probably be the usual story of going out to the first decent team we face but we do seem to have a very good young squad this time so I can dream of glory.

I do think with England that the manager is holding us back and someone like Eddie Howe would certainly get this group playing some fantastic attacking football.
Republic Of Ireland on 10:53 - Mar 28 with 1648 viewsPaddyhoops

Republic Of Ireland on 10:35 - Mar 28 by Rangersw12

No never been a Republic Fan. Ireland have played awful dull football for years and anytime they have done well and qualified for a tournament it was made up of English players not good enough to play for us.

I've also never understood why any English football fan would cheer on Ireland as no different to cheering on any other European country.

As for England it will probably be the usual story of going out to the first decent team we face but we do seem to have a very good young squad this time so I can dream of glory.

I do think with England that the manager is holding us back and someone like Eddie Howe would certainly get this group playing some fantastic attacking football.

I admire your honesty!!
Republic Of Ireland on 10:54 - Mar 28 with 1647 viewsfrancisbowles

It's because a lot of us on here have an Irish ancestry.

I am another one who supports the home nations as well:

1. England
2. Ireland
3. Scotland (Mrs FB from)
4. N.Ireland
5. Wales
Republic Of Ireland on 12:23 - Mar 28 with 1541 viewsdistortR

back in the day i worked for a building company which was half English and half Irish. The English lads would cheer Ireland on in matches, the Irish lads would cheer on our opponents. Ever since I've been quite happy to see them lose, but then i am pretty small minded anyway, and it didn't help that we couldn't beat them for years.

Northern Ireland - knew a NI family over here who were really hard work. Before we were due to play them they were saying they supported England. At the school gate the next day, after beating us 1-0, they were in my face "we beat yers! we beat yers! How do you feel about that?". I shrugged, and pointed out that I was always happy to see the insignificant countries win something. Little shit took the bait ("we're not an insignificant country" with spit flying out and his head like an out-take from scanners) and went for it, much to my delight, I couldn't stop laughing as he threatened me and he hasn't spoken to me since. The classic 'lose-win' situation.

Scotland - I'll back them when they back us!

Wales - never got over them beating us 4-1 in the home internationals and I loathe Gareth Bale, so, nah.
Republic Of Ireland on 12:34 - Mar 28 with 1528 viewsRangersw12

Republic Of Ireland on 12:23 - Mar 28 by distortR

back in the day i worked for a building company which was half English and half Irish. The English lads would cheer Ireland on in matches, the Irish lads would cheer on our opponents. Ever since I've been quite happy to see them lose, but then i am pretty small minded anyway, and it didn't help that we couldn't beat them for years.

Northern Ireland - knew a NI family over here who were really hard work. Before we were due to play them they were saying they supported England. At the school gate the next day, after beating us 1-0, they were in my face "we beat yers! we beat yers! How do you feel about that?". I shrugged, and pointed out that I was always happy to see the insignificant countries win something. Little shit took the bait ("we're not an insignificant country" with spit flying out and his head like an out-take from scanners) and went for it, much to my delight, I couldn't stop laughing as he threatened me and he hasn't spoken to me since. The classic 'lose-win' situation.

Scotland - I'll back them when they back us!

Wales - never got over them beating us 4-1 in the home internationals and I loathe Gareth Bale, so, nah.

I went out to Belfast for the 1 nil defeat and to be fair to the NI fans they were good as gold and loads were shaking our hands after the game saying they will support us in the WC etc

Only time I supported Scotland was in the Euro 2020 play off because I have tickets for that England group game and it will be great knocking them out of the tournament ( famous last words)
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 12:43]
Republic Of Ireland on 12:58 - Mar 28 with 1497 viewsbakerloo8

Knew it would end up being Englands fault
Republic Of Ireland on 13:05 - Mar 28 with 1483 viewsdistortR

Republic Of Ireland on 12:34 - Mar 28 by Rangersw12

I went out to Belfast for the 1 nil defeat and to be fair to the NI fans they were good as gold and loads were shaking our hands after the game saying they will support us in the WC etc

Only time I supported Scotland was in the Euro 2020 play off because I have tickets for that England group game and it will be great knocking them out of the tournament ( famous last words)
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 12:43]

re your last paragraph, you have to be wary of insignificant, embittered countries

Afternoon Karl!
Republic Of Ireland on 13:07 - Mar 28 with 1480 viewstraininvain

Republic Of Ireland on 12:58 - Mar 28 by bakerloo8

Yeah I’d rather not qualify than reach the quarters/semis said no one ever.

England probably won’t make the final of a major tournament in most our lifetimes but its hard to beat that buzz in this country when we’re in the knockout stages like 1990, 1996, 1998, 2004, 2006, 2018 etc.
Republic Of Ireland on 13:53 - Mar 28 with 1429 viewsPaddyhoops

Republic Of Ireland on 12:58 - Mar 28 by bakerloo8

I never said that. W12 was prepared to have a laugh at
my country mens expense.
I certainly don't do that when England inevitably fall at the last hurdle.
Thats been the pattern for years.
For my vast amount of English friends, my English wife and kids, I hope that changes soon.
Republic Of Ireland on 14:21 - Mar 28 with 1393 viewsdistortR

Republic Of Ireland on 13:53 - Mar 28 by Paddyhoops

I never said that. W12 was prepared to have a laugh at
my country mens expense.
I certainly don't do that when England inevitably fall at the last hurdle.
Thats been the pattern for years.
For my vast amount of English friends, my English wife and kids, I hope that changes soon.

tbh, I'm not sure how he got that out of your post!
I think your assumption that England will fall at the last is right, while I like a lot of what Southgate's done, he hasn't the quality his players have.
Republic Of Ireland on 14:24 - Mar 28 with 1387 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Last night was the bottom falling out of the Stephen Kenny experiment and we have only 1 place to go and thats up IMO
Brutal stretch of bad luck on Kenny to be fair with Covid,injuries but if the players have thrown in the towel its broken beyond repair.
Ireland have never scored enough goals even in the JC era and if we get 2 its adjust your tv set time .So getting 2 in Serbia even though one was a consolation gave everybody the belief they would roll by Luxemburg and predictably they collapse.
The time for new blood was 4 years ago and they fukced that up too .
Republic Of Ireland on 14:44 - Mar 28 with 1364 viewskensalriser

Not sure why England managers always get the blame for the team's supposed underperformance when it's more likely that the players haven't been good enough. How many of the top 20 players in the PL are English?

Southgate is one of three managers to take England to their best performance in a tournament since 1966.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Republic Of Ireland on 14:58 - Mar 28 with 1350 viewsdistortR

Republic Of Ireland on 14:44 - Mar 28 by kensalriser

Not sure why England managers always get the blame for the team's supposed underperformance when it's more likely that the players haven't been good enough. How many of the top 20 players in the PL are English?

Southgate is one of three managers to take England to their best performance in a tournament since 1966.

Ah, this crop of players is good though, they have had to get their starts in the premiership while competing against top players from elsewhere. Some of the players are top class, the rest are good to very good, I don't see any necessity for weakness's (If you don't have to pick Lingard or Dier against quality opposition, probably best not!)
Meanwhile, Gareth Southgate's managerial career.................seems like a good bloke, pruned away some of the deadwood, but can be dogmatic and out-thought imho.

Edit - apologies for derailing this thread, we should go back to ROI losing to possibly the only tax haven without beaches
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 14:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024