Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread 13:03 - Sep 28 with 21886 viewsMyke

I thought I'd have a go. The last one I did was 3-0 v Coventry last season. Called it too. Don't think we'll repeat that, as clean sheets are like hen's teeth, going for 3-1. Two for Austin and Willock with the other
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:20 - Sep 29 with 1413 viewsNorthernr

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:14 - Sep 29 by ParkRoyalR

DMM called it spot on when he said that when Ball does the simple things he's very effective, its when he sometimes over-plays in tight spaces or lets the ball run across him that the stress levels rise,

Birmingham lacked a Dom Ball last night as for all Ryan Woods passing ability, Chair and Austin were able to exploit the space him too many times, Ball would have closed this off,

We're very lucky to have Ball and the likes of Kakay in our club, they are decent championship level players + great professionals, its just our expectations are rising and when looking towards the play-off places, we are competing against the top teams, with much higher budgets, and these guys struggle as to be expected against an Anthony or Massengo premier league bound player.

It's a good point. Ball and Kakay won't be on much money either, great utility value to have in the squad not taking up much salary on a tight budget. The problem comes when you're having to rely on them to play every game, because they're not quite at the level, and Field's injury has meant that's been the case with Ball.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:32 - Sep 29 with 1356 viewsgazza1

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:17 - Sep 29 by Hunterhoop

Gazza, Ball failed to complete his first 4 passes of the match, after the first phase from KO. Yep us were counting because for the first 5 mins the team struggled and he was at the root of it. He then completed a few and improved. All 4 incompletions were in his own half, some near our box.

For context, Dunne, Dickie, Moses (twice) and Chair, all lost possession within 30 yards of our goal last night

Good result. Great to dig deep. The better team. Chair and Willock good. Improved showing from Dozzell. Encouraging from Amos. I personally thought Dykes did well, especially for the 2nd goal.

BUT we are far too casual in our own third of the pitch and have been gifting possession away in that areas far too much this season. Better teams have punished us and will continue to do so. We are our own worst enemy. More composure and a better final ball, and Brum could easily have scored 2.

I agree, Ball's first pass of the game was a first time ball wide of the player that was picked up....this was like 10 seconds around the half way line. He followed that with 2,or 3 more very quickly afterwards - he could not find a player. Agree they were in our half but not sure if they were near our box. The incident where he gave them a good chance was later in the first half, a short ball that was under hit. But as you say, a few of our guys made pretty poor passes and gave B'ham the ball during the early part of the match.

It was an excellent result considering the fist half we were not at our best but overall we were deserved winners. Still not convinced about Dozzell, Amos was decent when he came on - competed well considering and yes Dykes was much improved and if he plays like that more often then I would not complain so much. Thought he did very well for our 2nd goal, not normally his strength.

Not sure 'casual' is the correct word....we take too many chances in tight & defensive areas but that is how MW wants it. We were fortunate not to have conceded.

Far better after 30 odd minutes of the game though so fair play to them all.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 14:33]
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:33 - Sep 29 with 1358 viewsNorthernr

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:32 - Sep 29 by gazza1

I agree, Ball's first pass of the game was a first time ball wide of the player that was picked up....this was like 10 seconds around the half way line. He followed that with 2,or 3 more very quickly afterwards - he could not find a player. Agree they were in our half but not sure if they were near our box. The incident where he gave them a good chance was later in the first half, a short ball that was under hit. But as you say, a few of our guys made pretty poor passes and gave B'ham the ball during the early part of the match.

It was an excellent result considering the fist half we were not at our best but overall we were deserved winners. Still not convinced about Dozzell, Amos was decent when he came on - competed well considering and yes Dykes was much improved and if he plays like that more often then I would not complain so much. Thought he did very well for our 2nd goal, not normally his strength.

Not sure 'casual' is the correct word....we take too many chances in tight & defensive areas but that is how MW wants it. We were fortunate not to have conceded.

Far better after 30 odd minutes of the game though so fair play to them all.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 14:33]

Would have been a very different night had Chong scored when he should have done. Felt we looked a bit nervous to begin with.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:37 - Sep 29 with 1320 viewsgazza1

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:33 - Sep 29 by Northernr

Would have been a very different night had Chong scored when he should have done. Felt we looked a bit nervous to begin with.

Should have scored, easy chance (Glad it wasnt Dykes)....nervous we did look, we were not relaxed on the ball.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 14:38]
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:44 - Sep 29 with 1315 viewsTheChef

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:33 - Sep 29 by Northernr

He's on loan from ManU, didn't realise that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahith_Chong

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 15:00 - Sep 29 with 1281 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:20 - Sep 29 by Northernr

It's a good point. Ball and Kakay won't be on much money either, great utility value to have in the squad not taking up much salary on a tight budget. The problem comes when you're having to rely on them to play every game, because they're not quite at the level, and Field's injury has meant that's been the case with Ball.

I think maybe Warbs needs to recognise this more and consider how best to cover for their shortcomings -

Playing Adomah in front of Kakay so always an easy low risk pass down the line as cannot comeback inside the way Moses does -

And sounds odd but if SJ unavailable I would drop Chair into a deeper CAM position as has great 5 yard pace to closedown, can travel with the ball like Luongo and can hit Adomah and Willock on the flanks with the passes we saw him find Moses with last night.

Saturday's a big call team + formation wise but feel the above would set us up better against the stronger teams until SJ, McCallum, Wallace, Field etc are back + available.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 15:35 - Sep 29 with 1208 viewsPinnerPaul

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:28 - Sep 28 by simmo

Where are those Chair abusers from Friday??

Clueless.

TBF, the great man has just said himself on the offy that he wasn't pleased with his own performances the previous two games!
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 15:47 - Sep 29 with 1170 viewsEsox_Lucius

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 20:29 - Sep 28 by fournil

Are we playing this game in the dark?

Whenever the rolling ads on the side of the pitch cycled around to the white lettering on a black background of the Asheville Aggregates ad I thought one of the floodlights had failed.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 15:50 - Sep 29 with 1164 viewsPinnerPaul

Plenty of things to agree with on this thread - as we would expect!

2 things not mentioned.

Barbet was awful 1st 20 mins, - gave the ball away as much as erm Ball, and even when he had 20 yards to move forward into, he persisted in turning back and playing the ball to Dunne or Dickie.

2 stand up rows I saw as well - Charlie told Barbet his throw in to him was "Too f***** slow" and Barbet and Moses had a handbags set to after Moses tried to play his way out of trouble on edge of our own PA in the 2nd half.

No one has mentioned the ref, so must have had a decent game I guess!

Moses pen shout I thought was a slip live (from 80 yards away!), both yellows fine and thought he got most foul/non foul calls correct.

He does have a maddening habit of insisting every fk and throw taken from the exact correct blade of grass - both annoying and pointless at this level.

Final technical point - that IDFK given after the Barbet FK 2nd half, would have been because Chair was less than 1M from the wall when the fk was taken.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 16:01 - Sep 29 with 1149 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 15:50 - Sep 29 by PinnerPaul

Plenty of things to agree with on this thread - as we would expect!

2 things not mentioned.

Barbet was awful 1st 20 mins, - gave the ball away as much as erm Ball, and even when he had 20 yards to move forward into, he persisted in turning back and playing the ball to Dunne or Dickie.

2 stand up rows I saw as well - Charlie told Barbet his throw in to him was "Too f***** slow" and Barbet and Moses had a handbags set to after Moses tried to play his way out of trouble on edge of our own PA in the 2nd half.

No one has mentioned the ref, so must have had a decent game I guess!

Moses pen shout I thought was a slip live (from 80 yards away!), both yellows fine and thought he got most foul/non foul calls correct.

He does have a maddening habit of insisting every fk and throw taken from the exact correct blade of grass - both annoying and pointless at this level.

Final technical point - that IDFK given after the Barbet FK 2nd half, would have been because Chair was less than 1M from the wall when the fk was taken.

Referee + Linesman were only two in ground who missed Chuks Aneks MMA style flying forearm smash into Dunne's head,

Good job Dunne's hard as nails as just looked at the Referee as if to say 'c mon even in Uruguayian Sunday League football that's a yellow card'!
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 16:02 - Sep 29 with 1144 viewsPinnerPaul

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 16:01 - Sep 29 by ParkRoyalR

Referee + Linesman were only two in ground who missed Chuks Aneks MMA style flying forearm smash into Dunne's head,

Good job Dunne's hard as nails as just looked at the Referee as if to say 'c mon even in Uruguayian Sunday League football that's a yellow card'!

Not true - I didn't see it either!
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 16:17 - Sep 29 with 1124 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 16:02 - Sep 29 by PinnerPaul

Not true - I didn't see it either!

Late 2nd Half, long diagonal ball out from Birmingham out from the back towards the Ellerslie,

Aneks sees Dunne position himself to head clear and with the ball still in the air, maybe 10 yards before it reaches Dunne, runs towards Dunne, launches himself off the ground and gives him the full Jordan (Hughill - forearm smash) straight into his head.

I just cannot understand how a Referee and his Linesman can miss these, yet know exactly the blade of grass the ball should be spotted on for a throw-in. Bizarre.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 17:08 - Sep 29 with 1076 viewsPinnerPaul

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 16:17 - Sep 29 by ParkRoyalR

Late 2nd Half, long diagonal ball out from Birmingham out from the back towards the Ellerslie,

Aneks sees Dunne position himself to head clear and with the ball still in the air, maybe 10 yards before it reaches Dunne, runs towards Dunne, launches himself off the ground and gives him the full Jordan (Hughill - forearm smash) straight into his head.

I just cannot understand how a Referee and his Linesman can miss these, yet know exactly the blade of grass the ball should be spotted on for a throw-in. Bizarre.

Cheers - will look out for it when I watch the 90' back tomorrow.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 17:32 - Sep 29 with 1045 viewsnix

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:38 - Sep 29 by ParkRoyalR

Watch our 2nd goal.......
Did this not stem from a long kick from Dieng,
Superbly chested down by Dykes holding off their Centre Back, then
Out-muscled their Midfielder, and
Played a sublimely weighted pass with the outside of his foot in front of Chair to seal all 3 points?

Yes according to SofaScore Dykes made three chances for players to score in the match (key passes) and one big chance (a chance where the player should have scored but didn't), in addition to the assist he actually got.

I think Chair is also probably has been unlucky in setting up chances this season that other people haven't converted that should really have been assists.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 17:53 - Sep 29 with 1018 viewsVancouverHoop

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:20 - Sep 29 by Northernr

Both are around, or under, 50 Championship appearances. Call me Pollyanna, but I'd reckon it's a bit too early to label them career journeymen. Especially as defensive players tend to mature later than others.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 18:52 - Sep 29 with 976 viewsfrancisbowles

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 17:08 - Sep 29 by PinnerPaul

Cheers - will look out for it when I watch the 90' back tomorrow.

Watch out for Dykes on the stroke of ht. Not sure, but did he get away with an elbow or something?

Barbet, I think mainly puts the ball into touch rather than passing to the opposition, as Ball was early on. Barbet does this frequently, whilst trying to get his bearings, but it is understandable when trying to play it tight down the line.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 18:57 - Sep 29 with 968 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 18:52 - Sep 29 by francisbowles

Watch out for Dykes on the stroke of ht. Not sure, but did he get away with an elbow or something?

Barbet, I think mainly puts the ball into touch rather than passing to the opposition, as Ball was early on. Barbet does this frequently, whilst trying to get his bearings, but it is understandable when trying to play it tight down the line.

Yes, Dykes definitely got away with that one, ball nowhere near and put one on Harley Dean I think it was, seems we're learning the darker arts at last!
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:50 - Sep 29 with 855 viewskensalriser

Tonight’s fixtures went well with both teams who could have leapfrogged us losing and high flying Coventry getting a gob bumming at Luton. You’ve got to love the Championship.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 0:15]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 23:59 - Sep 29 with 824 viewsNorthernr

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:50 - Sep 29 by kensalriser

Tonight’s fixtures went well with both teams who could have leapfrogged us losing and high flying Coventry getting a gob bumming at Luton. You’ve got to love the Championship.

Luton now have a 5-0 home win and a 5-0 home loss on their slate and we've only played 10 games.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 01:32 - Sep 30 with 755 viewsCamberleyR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:50 - Sep 29 by kensalriser

I think Coventry are in a massively false position anyway, they've yet to play any of Fulham, West Brom or Bournemouth. I'll be surprised if they finish top half.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:18 - Sep 30 with 682 viewsnix

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 01:32 - Sep 30 by CamberleyR

I think Coventry are in a massively false position anyway, they've yet to play any of Fulham, West Brom or Bournemouth. I'll be surprised if they finish top half.

I agree. They've had a much easier start than many teams.

That's why you don't really get a clear idea of where teams are until at least halfway through the season.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:21 - Sep 30 with 677 viewsNorthernr

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 01:32 - Sep 30 by CamberleyR

They're also riding a bit of a crest of a wave at home, return to the Ricoh and all that. Think they've won every game there so far, which they'll do well to continue. Hopefully that'll burn out before we have to go to that shthole.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 09:36 - Sep 30 with 608 viewsMick_S

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:21 - Sep 30 by Northernr

They're also riding a bit of a crest of a wave at home, return to the Ricoh and all that. Think they've won every game there so far, which they'll do well to continue. Hopefully that'll burn out before we have to go to that shthole.

Did I read on here that they have a new station at their ground so the transfer bus is no longer necessary?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 10:06 - Sep 30 with 567 viewsTheChef

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:18 - Sep 30 by nix

I agree. They've had a much easier start than many teams.

That's why you don't really get a clear idea of where teams are until at least halfway through the season.

I think we get the clearest idea of where the teams are, after the last game of the season.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024