Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread 13:03 - Sep 28 with 21943 viewsMyke

I thought I'd have a go. The last one I did was 3-0 v Coventry last season. Called it too. Don't think we'll repeat that, as clean sheets are like hen's teeth, going for 3-1. Two for Austin and Willock with the other
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 00:17 - Sep 29 with 1891 viewsstainrods_elbow

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:10 - Sep 28 by distortR

I like that idea.

Greenbay - sort it out for the future.

We weren't at our best under a tempest of rain.
With Jordy and Jojo suffering post-Friday pain,

our quicksilver Willock starting too deep
to work his sweet sorcery and Ball half-asleep,

Charlie mis-firing and Lyndon anonymous,
a restorative win was looking faintly preposterous.

But we have a lad at the back who began taking the mickey -
I am referring, of course, to Mr Man Mountain Dickie -

with Dunne alongside, ball-playing and tidy,
and Moses, while not parting the Red Sea, wasn't cruddy.

If it was more fits and starts than artistically flowing,
a kind of desire appeared to be growing.

Despite Brum's agriculturalism, and a hairy moment with Chong,
we were not doing anything terribly wrong

while Seny had pleasingly little to do
(13 goal efforts, none on target, boo-ha-ha-hoo!).

Cue the Rs' special weapon, our pint-sized but dazzling
electric Chair, his blue and white current set to sizzling.

1-0. 2-0. Then a thigh trap from a hat trick
when Uncle threw the switch to leave Bowyer looking sick

and resembling a hooded gremlin who'd just shat his nappy.
(I like a nice slug of Schadenfreude, and this made me happy.)

A home win. A clean sheet. We could have had four.
Spirit and resilience as it pissed it down. We can't ask for more.

We're QPR. We play football. We're debonair and not dirty,
but let's out-shithouse the Lilywhites and rejoin the party.

(Do I win Clive's Special Prize for Poetry?)
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 0:23]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 01:56 - Sep 29 with 1812 viewsLeedsR

I thought Dom Ball had a good game. Got stuck into their midfield, made a nuisance of himself there, always showed for the ball, and made some good runs. Sure he’ll always be rough around the edges, but he’s one of the few players we have who can put in that tactical foul to kill an opposition move. He lets the oppo know that they can’t just walk through us. Boy done good.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 06:16 - Sep 29 with 1730 viewsHantsR

There once was a young man called Ilias
Who could never be referred to as silly, as
He scored two more goals
Wearing 10 like Stan Bowles
And sent us home wet but delirious
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:01 - Sep 29 with 1598 viewsAntti_Heinola

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 01:56 - Sep 29 by LeedsR

I thought Dom Ball had a good game. Got stuck into their midfield, made a nuisance of himself there, always showed for the ball, and made some good runs. Sure he’ll always be rough around the edges, but he’s one of the few players we have who can put in that tactical foul to kill an opposition move. He lets the oppo know that they can’t just walk through us. Boy done good.

I'll stick up for Dom Ball all day long, but even I'd say first half hour last night he was well off, giving the ball away very, very cheaply and dangerously at least 5 times. Improved though, and one of his best attributes is his mental strength and ability to put mistakes behind him.

Bare bones.

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:01 - Sep 29 with 1592 viewsNortholt_Rs

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 00:17 - Sep 29 by stainrods_elbow

We weren't at our best under a tempest of rain.
With Jordy and Jojo suffering post-Friday pain,

our quicksilver Willock starting too deep
to work his sweet sorcery and Ball half-asleep,

Charlie mis-firing and Lyndon anonymous,
a restorative win was looking faintly preposterous.

But we have a lad at the back who began taking the mickey -
I am referring, of course, to Mr Man Mountain Dickie -

with Dunne alongside, ball-playing and tidy,
and Moses, while not parting the Red Sea, wasn't cruddy.

If it was more fits and starts than artistically flowing,
a kind of desire appeared to be growing.

Despite Brum's agriculturalism, and a hairy moment with Chong,
we were not doing anything terribly wrong

while Seny had pleasingly little to do
(13 goal efforts, none on target, boo-ha-ha-hoo!).

Cue the Rs' special weapon, our pint-sized but dazzling
electric Chair, his blue and white current set to sizzling.

1-0. 2-0. Then a thigh trap from a hat trick
when Uncle threw the switch to leave Bowyer looking sick

and resembling a hooded gremlin who'd just shat his nappy.
(I like a nice slug of Schadenfreude, and this made me happy.)

A home win. A clean sheet. We could have had four.
Spirit and resilience as it pissed it down. We can't ask for more.

We're QPR. We play football. We're debonair and not dirty,
but let's out-shithouse the Lilywhites and rejoin the party.

(Do I win Clive's Special Prize for Poetry?)
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 0:23]

Are you Ted in disguise?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:16 - Sep 29 with 1561 viewsTheChef

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 21:53 - Sep 28 by Myke

Delighted with the win. Badly needed. Particularly pleased for both the defence and Chair who both deserved their respective rewards. But 'superb to watch' i thought it was awful from our middle third forward. Mis-placed passes, running up blind alleys, no cohesion, Charlie taking ridiculous shots Dykes slow and ponderous. Gray contributing exactly nothing again (why o why do we ALWAYS take off our 'heading' strikers when we bring on Adomah?) As I say, an important win, but I thought it was Championship 'fare' at its worst.

Yes it seems to be a perverse habit of Warbs to bring Adomah on and then not have any of our 'heading' strikers on the pitch for him to cross the ball to!

Anyway a very welcome win even if not the best performance, it was just lovely to be back at LR under the lights and the second half downpour added a bit to the entertainment as well.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:17 - Sep 29 with 1556 viewsrsonist

Better side, comfy winners in the end but had Brum tucked away one of the several presentable chances they spurned and given themselves something to cling onto they'd have been well set to frustrate us. Thankfully Lady Deflection smiled our way instead. So I dunno: beyond the result neither conclusive proof we're back in the saddle or that we really fell off in the first place.

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:18 - Sep 29 with 1556 viewsnix

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:01 - Sep 29 by Antti_Heinola

I'll stick up for Dom Ball all day long, but even I'd say first half hour last night he was well off, giving the ball away very, very cheaply and dangerously at least 5 times. Improved though, and one of his best attributes is his mental strength and ability to put mistakes behind him.

It's weird, his passing accuracy is surprisingly good in matches, usually around 80%, but it just seems that when he does give the ball away it's in a dangerous position. It's like he sometimes loses concentration. I'd get him meditating 🧘‍♂️.
Login to get fewer ads

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:29 - Sep 29 with 1524 viewsTheChef

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:17 - Sep 29 by rsonist

Better side, comfy winners in the end but had Brum tucked away one of the several presentable chances they spurned and given themselves something to cling onto they'd have been well set to frustrate us. Thankfully Lady Deflection smiled our way instead. So I dunno: beyond the result neither conclusive proof we're back in the saddle or that we really fell off in the first place.

Yeah until the goal it really didn't feel like either side was likely to score, and it was probably Birmingham who had made more of the forward running up to that point. But that's football sometimes.

And like you say - Championship innit.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:40 - Sep 29 with 1495 viewsdmm

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:18 - Sep 29 by nix

It's weird, his passing accuracy is surprisingly good in matches, usually around 80%, but it just seems that when he does give the ball away it's in a dangerous position. It's like he sometimes loses concentration. I'd get him meditating 🧘‍♂️.

Dom just needs to keep things simple. His passing accuracy is high when he keeps himself to a 'pot boiler' role - short and easy; recycle possession. Trying to emulate Pirlo usually gets him into trouble.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 09:31 - Sep 29 with 1418 viewsjoe90

Feeling really good about last night. Exactly the kind of win we needed. We dug deep and got the win we deserved. 2 wins from 3 is a great return. We can forget WBA, we lost to the team top of the table following a great a cup win. If we beat Preston we're back in the mix!
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 10:45 - Sep 29 with 1341 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:28 - Sep 28 by simmo

Where are those Chair abusers from Friday??

Clueless.

Clueless - 1 Assist + 1 Goal in 9 league games prior to last night does merit questions as to how the coaching team get Chair up to the levels of say Luke Freeman, accepting Eze is a different level.

I've thought previously a deep lying CAM would get the best out of Chair with his engine, tenacity + long-range passing ability.

I think we focus too much on his dribbling ability and playing high up he gets less time on the ball and does'nt get his head-up as he did last night when finding space in the middle.

I think his ideal position if he is to develop into a £5m to £10m player is to replace SJ end of this season in that creative CAM role as think can be too easily marked or doubled-up when playing out wide.

Excellent last night and great to see Austin applaud him when he took the shooting option rather than square to Austin, speculation but maybe an example (similar to Barbet + Moses incident) that the team have also been critiquing what they haven't been doing well enough in recent games.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 11:47 - Sep 29 with 1262 viewsgazza1

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:01 - Sep 29 by Antti_Heinola

I agree Dom gave the ball away quite a few times in the first half, not sure on 5 occasions cheaply or in dangerous positions is correct though. He gave the ball away a couple of times but fortunately B'ham did not capitalise.

But once again, he put that behind him and was good at 'his game' in the second. (Watch our 2nd goal and where it all stemmed from). As was pointed out to me, Dom Ball was a free transfer, if there is ever such a thing, from Rotherham but is a big asset to the team and goes very much unnoticed for all his work he does for the team and team mates. Not as ball skilled as some but skilled at other skills!!! Furthermore, he has a pretty consistent selection availability level - basically he is fit most of the time (shouldn't of said that!!!).

I keep hearing that Field is the 'answer' and will be No1 in Ball's position/roll - that remains to be seen and I am looking forward to seeing it because we need more cover in the squad and also so that I can compare him with Dom Ball. Please also note that Field is a left footer primarily and left footers are generally very left footed compared with right footers. Will that cause an imbalance in the Team?? Interesting indeed!!!
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 11:58 - Sep 29 with 1248 viewssaxbend

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 10:45 - Sep 29 by ParkRoyalR

Clueless - 1 Assist + 1 Goal in 9 league games prior to last night does merit questions as to how the coaching team get Chair up to the levels of say Luke Freeman, accepting Eze is a different level.

I've thought previously a deep lying CAM would get the best out of Chair with his engine, tenacity + long-range passing ability.

I think we focus too much on his dribbling ability and playing high up he gets less time on the ball and does'nt get his head-up as he did last night when finding space in the middle.

I think his ideal position if he is to develop into a £5m to £10m player is to replace SJ end of this season in that creative CAM role as think can be too easily marked or doubled-up when playing out wide.

Excellent last night and great to see Austin applaud him when he took the shooting option rather than square to Austin, speculation but maybe an example (similar to Barbet + Moses incident) that the team have also been critiquing what they haven't been doing well enough in recent games.

Assists only consider who touches the ball immediately before the goal scorer. The way we play means three or four players involved in the buildup to a goal and Chair is nearly always involved. Take him out of the picture and plenty of those goals simply don't get scored. We're really at our best when Wallace, Chair, Willock all work together leading to one of them getting an assist for Austin or Dykes. Once we have Wallace back, as long as we don't lose Chair or Willock at the same time, we'll be at our most effective again. With Johansen too, even more so.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:20 - Sep 29 with 1211 viewsswisscottage

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 08:18 - Sep 29 by nix

Its probably more to do with the fact he's one of the few players in the team others trust to take care of the ball even when surrounded by players. So when the aberrations happen its because he's been given the ball in situations most others wouldn't be.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:23 - Sep 29 with 1198 viewsEsox_Lucius

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 11:47 - Sep 29 by gazza1

I agree Dom gave the ball away quite a few times in the first half, not sure on 5 occasions cheaply or in dangerous positions is correct though. He gave the ball away a couple of times but fortunately B'ham did not capitalise.

But once again, he put that behind him and was good at 'his game' in the second. (Watch our 2nd goal and where it all stemmed from). As was pointed out to me, Dom Ball was a free transfer, if there is ever such a thing, from Rotherham but is a big asset to the team and goes very much unnoticed for all his work he does for the team and team mates. Not as ball skilled as some but skilled at other skills!!! Furthermore, he has a pretty consistent selection availability level - basically he is fit most of the time (shouldn't of said that!!!).

I keep hearing that Field is the 'answer' and will be No1 in Ball's position/roll - that remains to be seen and I am looking forward to seeing it because we need more cover in the squad and also so that I can compare him with Dom Ball. Please also note that Field is a left footer primarily and left footers are generally very left footed compared with right footers. Will that cause an imbalance in the Team?? Interesting indeed!!!

In the first 20 minutes Ball either made mistakes or gave the ball away 8 times and several of those would have been punished severely by a better team than Brum. I was discussing this with my seat neighbour and he was of the opinion that SJ was doing a good job of covering his errors and Ball was more exposed last night.
To his great credit he put it behind him and had a decent game as the minutes ticked by.

The grass is always greener.

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:38 - Sep 29 with 1168 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 11:47 - Sep 29 by gazza1

Watch our 2nd goal.......
Did this not stem from a long kick from Dieng,
Superbly chested down by Dykes holding off their Centre Back, then
Out-muscled their Midfielder, and
Played a sublimely weighted pass with the outside of his foot in front of Chair to seal all 3 points?
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:56 - Sep 29 with 1115 viewsMyke

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:01 - Sep 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I was just referring to the last ten minutes, Myke, when we strung together some lovely moves.

Ah fair enough - great win, badly needed
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:58 - Sep 29 with 1111 viewsMyke

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 22:32 - Sep 28 by Match82

Henceforth all match reports shall be written as limericks.

As skies pelted it down with rain
Passing the ball was a pain
But Illias Chair
Grabbed himself a pair
And Rangers were winning again.

Sounds like Chair scored in more ways than one
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 13:27 - Sep 29 with 1066 viewsgazza1

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 12:38 - Sep 29 by ParkRoyalR

Watch our 2nd goal.......
Did this not stem from a long kick from Dieng,
Superbly chested down by Dykes holding off their Centre Back, then
Out-muscled their Midfielder, and
Played a sublimely weighted pass with the outside of his foot in front of Chair to seal all 3 points?

Yes you are correct......it must have been another ball that he won back and we nearly scored from
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 13:34 - Sep 29 with 1050 viewsNorthernr

Ball had a mad half hour to start with last night, culminating in him almost passing one of their players through on goal in the right channel right in front of us in F Block. At this point I told Gazza in no uncertain terms that he simply wasn't good enough to do this job at this level, and after that he didn't put a foot wrong all night, so I'm claiming an assist
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:00 - Sep 29 with 997 viewsgazza1

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 13:34 - Sep 29 by Northernr

Ball had a mad half hour to start with last night, culminating in him almost passing one of their players through on goal in the right channel right in front of us in F Block. At this point I told Gazza in no uncertain terms that he simply wasn't good enough to do this job at this level, and after that he didn't put a foot wrong all night, so I'm claiming an assist

As they say 'every dog has it's day'.......it will be mine next!!!! Bastard.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 14:02]
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:14 - Sep 29 with 958 viewsNorthernr

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:00 - Sep 29 by gazza1

TBF you pretty much did after that because like I say he went from a 4/10 before that incident to a thick 7 after it.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:14 - Sep 29 with 958 viewsParkRoyalR

The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:00 - Sep 29 by gazza1

DMM called it spot on when he said that when Ball does the simple things he's very effective, its when he sometimes over-plays in tight spaces or lets the ball run across him that the stress levels rise,

Birmingham lacked a Dom Ball last night as for all Ryan Woods passing ability, Chair and Austin were able to exploit the space him too many times, Ball would have closed this off,

We're very lucky to have Ball and the likes of Kakay in our club, they are decent championship level players + great professionals, its just our expectations are rising and when looking towards the play-off places, we are competing against the top teams, with much higher budgets, and these guys struggle as to be expected against an Anthony or Massengo premier league bound player.
The 'Going back to what we do best but with still some issues ' match thread on 14:17 - Sep 29 with 956 viewsHunterhoop

Gazza, Ball failed to complete his first 4 passes of the match, after the first phase from KO. Yep us were counting because for the first 5 mins the team struggled and he was at the root of it. He then completed a few and improved. All 4 incompletions were in his own half, some near our box.

For context, Dunne, Dickie, Moses (twice) and Chair, all lost possession within 30 yards of our goal last night

Good result. Great to dig deep. The better team. Chair and Willock good. Improved showing from Dozzell. Encouraging from Amos. I personally thought Dykes did well, especially for the 2nd goal.

BUT we are far too casual in our own third of the pitch and have been gifting possession away in that areas far too much this season. Better teams have punished us and will continue to do so. We are our own worst enemy. More composure and a better final ball, and Brum could easily have scored 2.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024