Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30 years ago today !!! 09:58 - Jan 1 with 2003 viewspaulparker

The day a born again Christian took Man Utd to the cleaners

I remember this like yesterday, this was the making of Gerrys team, was at the Astoria the night before and one of our party left the night early as he was going, we thought he was mad I had dinner at my then girlfriends parents but rushed that and then got home in time for kick off
The look on Denis laws face at half time was the same as my then girlfriends parents earlier when I got up and left before the main course
Thinking back it should of been five , wegerle missed a sitter at the end
Gutted when Salah scored that hat trick the other week as I wanted Baileys record to never go
Where does the time go though

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

30 years ago today !!! on 10:12 - Jan 1 with 1950 viewsbosh67

Roughly a one in four striker through his career, which is similar to Zamora but not at the same level. I will always remember that day. We were on fire, Dennis was on fire. Wegerle missed a couple of sitters, which was very unusual for him or it would have been 5 or 6. Great day in our history though.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

30 years ago today !!! on 10:34 - Jan 1 with 1905 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I was at this game in one of the Man Utd sections just infront of our 500 fans. They were rebuilding part of the ground so I think that was our limit. The Man U fan that took me told me how they were going to hammer us on the way to the game. Twenty minutes in he was chain smoking and I was desperately trying to contain my joy. I've never been back since and will treasure that memory for ever. We absolutely battered them.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2022 12:12]
30 years ago today !!! on 10:36 - Jan 1 with 1901 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our little travelling gang had a full showing that day. I think we only got 600 tickets as well, so we were lucky to get everyone in.

It may have only been a league game, but I agree with PP that it was a signal moment for that Rangers team: after that we feared no-one.

It gave the fans belief too. On the way up I always remember us listing all of United's players with nervous laughter at every stage of the roll call. On the way back we had realised that we had players just as good as anyone.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

30 years ago today !!! on 10:44 - Jan 1 with 1883 viewsAntti_Heinola

Quite simply the greatest day in history.

Bare bones.

30 years ago today !!! on 11:37 - Jan 1 with 1790 viewsGalileo

That was without doubt one of my best ever away games.

Denis Bailey Hallelujah!
30 years ago today !!! on 12:35 - Jan 1 with 1707 viewsdistortR

30 years ago today !!! on 10:36 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Our little travelling gang had a full showing that day. I think we only got 600 tickets as well, so we were lucky to get everyone in.

It may have only been a league game, but I agree with PP that it was a signal moment for that Rangers team: after that we feared no-one.

It gave the fans belief too. On the way up I always remember us listing all of United's players with nervous laughter at every stage of the roll call. On the way back we had realised that we had players just as good as anyone.

I had a ticket but couldn't be arsed - until Paul phoned up early with a 'but what if we win?'.
Got me thinking, no chance of course, but I'm awake now.............
Had decided to give 'straight edge' a go, matching others beers with coffee, I was bloody wired! Got pissed after, short experiment, that.
A treasured memory - Me and Paul were sat at the corner of our fans, as the players eft the field at the end, we were doing that fist pumping thing we used to do, Macca looked up and returned it.
30 years ago today !!! on 12:55 - Jan 1 with 1676 viewsLazyFan

Sinton destroyed them.

zzzzzzzzzz

30 years ago today !!! on 13:38 - Jan 1 with 1623 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

30 years ago today !!! on 10:34 - Jan 1 by CroydonCaptJack

I was at this game in one of the Man Utd sections just infront of our 500 fans. They were rebuilding part of the ground so I think that was our limit. The Man U fan that took me told me how they were going to hammer us on the way to the game. Twenty minutes in he was chain smoking and I was desperately trying to contain my joy. I've never been back since and will treasure that memory for ever. We absolutely battered them.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2022 12:12]

Ha, that’s my story too! I went with a Manc mate whose Dad got us tickets that turned out to be in the very front row, under the Rangers fans. Had a good time the night before in their local - like you, all telling me how many they would thump us by. All good natured though and I think I half-expected it myself, what with Les being injured. Ha!
Sinton and Wegs ran rings round them and Super-Ray made Webb, etc look like park players.
My biggest regret to this day is walking past the Rangers fans on the way out and not giving it the large one - or at least raising my arms above my head double-quick. All I could do is put on the soppiest, silliest grin as I walked out - very slowly, because the noise they were making was fantastic and I wished I was among them.
Oh and an even better night in the same pub, that night! The locals were sound, though, very complimentary and a City fan bought me a pint.
30 years, though. Bloody hell.
Login to get fewer ads

30 years ago today !!! on 13:57 - Jan 1 with 1582 viewsPunteR

Kin el... 30 years ago ?!
I was 15, round a mates house on Roehampton estate watching the game. A few of us there. i seem to recall playing football on the green opposite before the game , halftime, and after with loads of other kids from the estate playing throughout . A time when street football and all the kids from the area playing was a still a thing. Good day to be a QPR fan. :)
Great Shout PP

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

30 years ago today !!! on 15:16 - Jan 1 with 1476 viewsBoston

The day of that game, I was at the home of a sister-in-law, who was married to a very loud Man Utd fan.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024