Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. 09:09 - Jan 20 with 11574 viewsBostonR

I have a confession - I went to the game last night with a mate (who is a Man Utd fan).

On the game, Brentford played well in the first halve and had some decent chances. In the second halve Utd strolled through them. Brentford looked out on their feet. They can play, but at this level their defence is a mess and would be in the Championship.

The thing that surprised me the most, was the huge amount of Man Utd fans/tourists that were dotted around the ground. I see the attendance was circa 17,000, but there had to be 3/4000 away fans in that ground. It ruined the atmosphere and I have no idea how the Brentford ticketing system works, but if I were a Brentford ST holder I would be furious!

If we do make the promised land, I hope LR remains a fortress. Brentford have got it all wrong and I was surprised there was no trouble last night.

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 10:40 - Jan 21 with 1874 viewsJPC

Last time in the premiership, season ticket holder behind me would sell his seats for the Man U game - I asked the 2 who'd bought the tickets how much they'd paid - 400 a seat! Basically paid for his season tickets in 1 game. Hard to argue with I suppose
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 10:41 - Jan 21 with 1871 viewsstowmarketrange

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 10:02 - Jan 21 by ParkRoyalR

Still full in the championship is a bold prediction from a long-term bees fan considering the target 10,000 fans campaign that was running up to year before last.

It might be almost full for 1 season in the championship,but fans will start to drift away if they don’t go straight back up again.
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:02 - Jan 21 with 1815 viewsBostonR

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 09:28 - Jan 21 by switchingcode

Yes as a Bee from feltham,not sure about Feltham and nerd connection you are right about the changing fan base.This is inevitable and as much as I have mixed feelings you have to accept you have zero control over your fan base.The new Stadium in my opinion and all my mates who like me have 50 + years under their belts is fantastic for us.The atmosphere,view from your seat,bars and food courts and toilets are first class.Had we not got this stadium I hate to think where we would be now if we were still at GriffinPark.
If this is to be just a one season in the PL I won’t be too disappointed as our stadium will still be full in the championship I note that some on here are saying how poor the bottom 4 and us are apart from Burnley who have loads of problems will still be in top 6 of championship which apart from Fulham is piss poor this season.
I read that some of your fans have stopped going because of the problems in your stadium but at least BostonR loves it.

How would you know the Championship is piss poor this year? Typical "up your own arse" Bees fan.

A few good seasons in 100yrs, a gobby manager and fans and you think you are "top-dogs" As a club and fans, we literally shit all over you. Would have loved to see if you lot would have taken 40,000 plus, to the play-off final - I doubt it.

Enjoy your weekend in the sun!
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:26 - Jan 21 with 1761 viewsParkRoyalR

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:02 - Jan 21 by BostonR

How would you know the Championship is piss poor this year? Typical "up your own arse" Bees fan.

A few good seasons in 100yrs, a gobby manager and fans and you think you are "top-dogs" As a club and fans, we literally shit all over you. Would have loved to see if you lot would have taken 40,000 plus, to the play-off final - I doubt it.

9000 to a Play-Off Final at the Cardiff Millenium Stadium to answer your question,
2.5 hour straight run down the M4,
So add 6,000 disaffected Man United + Arsenal fans and hey presto 15,000,
The real test will be how long United and Arsenal remain uncompetiitive,
If they return to winning ways, the glory-hunters will flip-flop back.
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:45 - Jan 21 with 1729 viewsBostonR

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:26 - Jan 21 by ParkRoyalR

9000 to a Play-Off Final at the Cardiff Millenium Stadium to answer your question,
2.5 hour straight run down the M4,
So add 6,000 disaffected Man United + Arsenal fans and hey presto 15,000,
The real test will be how long United and Arsenal remain uncompetiitive,
If they return to winning ways, the glory-hunters will flip-flop back.

9,000 to the play-of final - fecking embarrassing! Your response has made my day!
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:59 - Jan 21 with 1698 viewsKonk

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:45 - Jan 21 by BostonR

9,000 to the play-of final - fecking embarrassing! Your response has made my day!

There's nothing wrong with being a club without a big fanbase. I've heard a fair bit of nonsense from Brentford fans over the years, but I've never heard them suggest they're a big club in terms of support. If they went from 7-10,000 home fans most weeks to taking 30,000+ to Cardiff, wouldn't they get dug-out for having glory-hunting fans who only turned-out for big matches or for filling their end with a load of Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool fans from Hounslow?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:10 - Jan 21 with 1671 viewskensalriser

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:59 - Jan 21 by Konk

There's nothing wrong with being a club without a big fanbase. I've heard a fair bit of nonsense from Brentford fans over the years, but I've never heard them suggest they're a big club in terms of support. If they went from 7-10,000 home fans most weeks to taking 30,000+ to Cardiff, wouldn't they get dug-out for having glory-hunting fans who only turned-out for big matches or for filling their end with a load of Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool fans from Hounslow?

That's the way it works with football fans, Konk.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:22 - Jan 21 with 1643 viewsBostonR

Not my point. I just fecking hate "up their arse" Brentford fans giving it large to us.
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:27 - Jan 21 with 1626 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:22 - Jan 21 by BostonR

Not my point. I just fecking hate "up their arse" Brentford fans giving it large to us.

I make you right, Boston. I put switchingcode on ignore a long time ago because of his obsession with and silly little digs at us and his constant and humourless reminders of how great Brentford are.

Took him off ignore to see what you responded to and I see he's still at it. It's dreary.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:41 - Jan 21 with 1589 viewsstowmarketrange

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:02 - Jan 21 by BostonR

We all know that the championship is p@ss poor this season because the bus stop boys aren’t in it.
You wait until next season or the season after and normal service will be resumed.It will be the best thing since sliced warburtons then.
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:48 - Jan 21 with 1562 viewsParkRoyalR

Suggest your referring to proper Brentford fans there Konk, of those I know, only 1 obsesses about how big they were pre-war, others sound, and I am delighted they are getting to visit some great new grounds,

However, they do have a very significant weird element in their fan-base, and that's not included the Beesotted lot, plus a hell of a lot of crowing ex-United & Arsenal fans from West London's suburbs, and this cohort, choosing to ignore 4 local West London clubs and support United & Arsenal, are particularly irritating in a Thomas Frank kind of way.
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:52 - Jan 21 with 1544 viewsMick_S

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 12:41 - Jan 21 by stowmarketrange

We all know that the championship is p@ss poor this season because the bus stop boys aren’t in it.
You wait until next season or the season after and normal service will be resumed.It will be the best thing since sliced warburtons then.

Bus and normal service. Great work, Stow.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 14:00 - Jan 21 with 1415 viewsR_from_afar

Whilst I don't always agree with their views, I have to say that for me, it does add a different and interesting perspective seeing posts from SwitchingCode and Konk on here and I like reading their views.

(Retreats to foxhole, primes claymores, dons tin hat, radios for air support...)

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 14:20 - Jan 21 with 1372 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 14:00 - Jan 21 by R_from_afar

Whilst I don't always agree with their views, I have to say that for me, it does add a different and interesting perspective seeing posts from SwitchingCode and Konk on here and I like reading their views.

(Retreats to foxhole, primes claymores, dons tin hat, radios for air support...)

I agree in principle. Definitely, especially about Konk, who's become a friend at this stage.

But it has to stay light-hearted, I think, or I lose interest.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 15:19 - Jan 21 with 1263 viewsPaddyhoops

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 13:16 - Jan 20 by Konk

It was pretty much the same whenever we played Man Utd or Liverpool. It will be off the scale once the new Riverside opens, as I would expect ticket prices to be seriously high. We’re charging £45 for central seats in the Johnny Haynes stand this season, against the likes of Birmingham, and I think up to £50 when we played Bournemouth, with barely any concession for pensioners and kids. Cheapest tickets are £30 and you pay an extra fiver if you book on the day too. Our walk-up prices have been too high for years and I’m guessing the Riverside will be largely full of tourists and away fans whenever we play one of the 7-8 biggest clubs. Club seem happy to have seats filled and aren’t bothered whether it’s by Fulham fans or not. Very short term policy.

I blame johhny haynes for all this. Wasn't he the first 100
Quid a week footballer??
If we kept these players in Thier box ..we wouldn't be charging 50 quid to watch Birmingham.
In all seriousness, prices are far too high for some seats all football grounds!!
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 16:13 - Jan 21 with 1163 viewsKonk

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 15:19 - Jan 21 by Paddyhoops

I blame johhny haynes for all this. Wasn't he the first 100
Quid a week footballer??
If we kept these players in Thier box ..we wouldn't be charging 50 quid to watch Birmingham.
In all seriousness, prices are far too high for some seats all football grounds!!

Yeah, I think it would have been impossible to keep Haynes at the Cottage for his whole career without busting the bank. Seems completely unbelievable to someone of my generation that one of the best players in Europe/the world would do that, but different times, eh. You can also blame another Fulham old boy, Jimmy Hill, for getting rid of the maximum wage (which again seems like a mental concept to someone who didn't grow-up with it). And if we'd left the Cottage to play at the Bridge when the Mears family built it, Chelsea FC wouldn't exist. Sorry. On the plus side, you can't blame us for Bosman - he never played for Fulham.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 17:09 - Jan 21 with 1070 viewsJuzzie

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 11:45 - Jan 21 by BostonR

- The following season we took 30,000+ to the same divisional final and same location.

- Unofficially the highest post war attendance at a Wembley Final in 1986 courtesy of Oxford not selling out and we took up the slack. I think we had around 55,000 there but, of course, the game never actually happened!

- Highest Championship play-off final at Wembley, 2014. Not been beaten yet, not even Villa vs Derby in 2019 (Derby our same opponents in 2014 so that acts as a control). Of course, 2020 was zero and 2021 restricted to just 11k.

This is why I am confident that a new ground, circa 25k capacity, will be OK. I know many fans who just find it difficult being at Loftus Road. A new ground, especially in the model of MK Dons' (spit spit) ground would be OK. I'm not saying we'd fill it week in week out but we'd be OK with it.

[Post edited 21 Jan 2022 17:16]
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 18:14 - Jan 21 with 987 viewsStainrod

Never been one for "our club's bigger than yours" chat.

If size were what mattered none of us would have supported the medium sized club that is QPR.

I actually think its exciting the three smaller clubs from our corner of London are all doing well - if we need local rivalries, our derbies with Fulham and (if by some miracle we go up) Brentford are likely to develop more. To me the obsession with Chelsea among some of our fans just looks embarrassing in the Abramovich era whereas relatively friendly competition with two clubs who hopefully we stand a chance of competing with over the next decade or so can only be healthy.

I've even been half tempted to cheer on Brentford in a number of matches this season, only held back really because of their manager (would you leave that man alone with your kids?).

As for posters from other clubs, it was one of the things I liked about this site when I first started coming on here - it seemed possible to have a friendly chat without it degenerating into "we're bigger than you" stuff.
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 18:14 - Jan 21 with 987 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 10:02 - Jan 21 by ParkRoyalR

Still full in the championship is a bold prediction from a long-term bees fan considering the target 10,000 fans campaign that was running up to year before last.

Away fans allocation can go up to 3000 we have 11000 STs and not taking on any more at present and have 10,000 members
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 20:01 - Jan 21 with 871 viewsParkRoyalR

Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 18:14 - Jan 21 by switchingcode

Away fans allocation can go up to 3000 we have 11000 STs and not taking on any more at present and have 10,000 members

If you live in West London as I do, the amount of family + friends groups I know who are not what I would call Brentford supporters and have bought season tickets is unreal. One family group of 8, all Arsenal fans, thought like most, why not.

Memberships have been bought by all and sundry on the basis they will get a ticket to one home match, preferably versus their big 6 team

9000 to a play-off final, target 10000 fans campaign, more than half empty end at Wembley at so many play-off finals 5 miles away, 21000 heh, I'll let you decide if these are Brentford or Premier League football fans.
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 20:03 - Jan 21 with 862 viewsNewBee

If I may throw in my tuppenceworth to this "My Da's bigger than yours" debate, I personally am not too bothered by how fans of other clubs see us - complimentary or derogatory.

As for how I see us, it's this. Bees arre the 50th club to play in the PL and our new ground has the 53rd(?) highest capacity in England. In terms of crowds, I'd guess we're currently in the low 30's/high 40's. We've got sound finances, ever better facilities, increasing support and well-placed optimism for the future.

I intend to enjoy it while it lasts. How long will that be? Well when I first started going to BFC regularly in the late 80's/early 90's, we were a bog-standard League One club. We might have hoped to go up in a good season, but just as likely to go down in a bad one. If the former, it wasn't likely to last, but if the latter, there was no guarantee we'd come back up any time soon. In fact, there would have been every chance of going out of the league entirely - see eg Orient or Tranmere, olny with less chance of getting back up. Things were that bad.

However, since St.Mathew of Benham came along, not only did he stop the rot, but he built things up to the extent that we can now claim to be a firmly established Championship-level club i.e. even if/when we end up back there, barring catastrophe we should be ok against a further relegation.

But having made one major step up in status, can we make another? I'm not sure we can ever become an established PL club in the sense of the Big Six i.e. not ever likely to get relegated.

But I could certainly see us getting up there with the likes of WBA, Watford or Norwich i.e. PL in a good season, Championship in an average one.

All of which probably reads as bland, even boring, but quite honestly, after what Bees have been through in the last 40-odd years, when the very existence of the club was threatened at times, that's all bloody brilliant for Bees fans.

Beyonjd that, all I will say is that I wouldn't mind if both fulham and QPR joined us in the PL (assuming we stay up), since the local rivalry adds a welcome spice to the mix.

Maybe we could all gang up on Chelsea?
Brentford v Man Utd Fans. on 20:12 - Jan 21 with 824 viewsBlackCrowe

Great post. It's what i expect, experience, want for us. Fulham, QPR and now Brentford are so similar....running the gauntlet of aspiration, despair, a little expectation, wonderment and some lunacy but with a rich vein of honesty and (over-) optimism running though our blinkered eyes and punctured veins.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024