Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bowles and Legends 14:30 - Feb 18 with 6107 viewsMedwayR

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/the-stanley-bowles-stand-next-steps-180222/

Poll: Who’s better?

Bowles and Legends on 17:03 - Feb 18 with 1954 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I know the owners put in millions every year to keep us afloat, so I'm not sure we can exactly demand that they pay for this.

The owners could, however, have paid the 23k and then cut that money elsewhere and we'd have been none the wiser. Doing it this way is either a misstep or else it's deliberately making a point.

Either way, this is really poor PR for the owners and avoiding that is surely is worth more than twenty-three thousand.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 17:06]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bowles and Legends on 17:11 - Feb 18 with 1935 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I’m not that bothered about this but I’m happy to pay a pound towards each stage. If most of us do that then it easily covers it.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Bowles and Legends on 17:18 - Feb 18 with 1886 viewsAntti_Heinola

Bowles and Legends on 16:41 - Feb 18 by Jeff

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly where i sit as well.

the Plan for Stan group have by and large been annoying idiots, but for the club to basically string them along saying they'll do it and then present them the cheque without ever suggesting that this is how it will be financed is a bit teeth sucky for me.

I get that Hoo's is sick to his back teeth about the whole thing, but i reckon in terms of cheap points scoring he gets petty revenge on one side and some pretty piss poor PR on the other...

Is that what's happened jeff?
I had the impression this is the agreement they came to with the group? If they've gone through a whole consultation process on what it will be and what it will look like and then at the end just said, 'right, here's the bill', that is very rum, but thought I heard Hoos say in the past that he has always asked: how are we paying for this? So must've been on the agenda, surely?

Bare bones.

Bowles and Legends on 17:39 - Feb 18 with 1822 viewsdaveB

Bowles and Legends on 17:18 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Is that what's happened jeff?
I had the impression this is the agreement they came to with the group? If they've gone through a whole consultation process on what it will be and what it will look like and then at the end just said, 'right, here's the bill', that is very rum, but thought I heard Hoos say in the past that he has always asked: how are we paying for this? So must've been on the agenda, surely?

Yeah he's always said cost would be an issue. The timing isn't great on the back of 2 defeats, would have been better to wait a few days after we hopefully get back to winning ways and the fanbase is less angry
Bowles and Legends on 18:08 - Feb 18 with 1760 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No remuneration without representation.

I’m not spunking dosh into billionaire’s unsecured asset without a say over it’s eventual sale, no matter how much I agree with the aims.

Bad enough my ST money goes into it!
Bowles and Legends on 21:14 - Feb 18 with 1580 viewsWatfordR

Bowles and Legends on 17:00 - Feb 18 by Northernr

I always try not to comment on this issue after getting hammered for Tweet early on in the movement, but like Jeff I did suck me teeth a bit when I saw the announcement earlier, and it feels like a pretty classic Hoos move - I've often told the story about the flying seats at Burnley v Blackburn and how he stuck the cost of replacing them on the tickets for that fixture the year after.

Just posting here because on your original point, it isn't unusual for fans to have to fundraise for things like statues and monuments. Ipswich raised £110k recently...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-49454686

Just to be clear, I'm not part of any group involved in this. I'm just a fan of getting on for 50 years, quite clear in my own mind that the legacy Stan created for our club makes him competely unique in our club's history, and recognising that isn't something the club should be seen to be doing begrudgingly.
Bowles and Legends on 21:26 - Feb 18 with 1563 viewsbosh67

Phase one, which is putting his name on the stand, a big step to starting to process will cost £6,804. I'd love to see the breakdown of how that figure was reached but for the sake of argument could we as a group of fans simply start a crowd fund for that bit first and if it does better than expected allot funds to further phases over a year or so?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bowles and Legends on 21:42 - Feb 18 with 1537 viewswombat

Bowles and Legends on 21:26 - Feb 18 by bosh67

Phase one, which is putting his name on the stand, a big step to starting to process will cost £6,804. I'd love to see the breakdown of how that figure was reached but for the sake of argument could we as a group of fans simply start a crowd fund for that bit first and if it does better than expected allot funds to further phases over a year or so?

I’d guess it’s pretty easy to break down ,

Hire of plant equipment to put new logo up say 4 days work plus the safety cert needed . 3 grand
Person to drive the cherry picker/ scissor lift a grand
Cost of new logo 2 grand .

Could also be work needed to strengthen. The front of the stand to be added actually seems pretty cheap by. Present building standards to be honest .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Bowles and Legends on 21:49 - Feb 18 with 1518 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bowles and Legends on 21:26 - Feb 18 by bosh67

No. We need to do this together with the club or not at all. It will cost us money one way or another let's not pretend otherwise.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Bowles and Legends on 18:11 - Feb 19 with 1267 viewsAddinall

Bowles and Legends on 21:14 - Feb 18 by WatfordR

Just to be clear, I'm not part of any group involved in this. I'm just a fan of getting on for 50 years, quite clear in my own mind that the legacy Stan created for our club makes him competely unique in our club's history, and recognising that isn't something the club should be seen to be doing begrudgingly.

Me neither but as a fan of some 75 years I can remember when Rodney Marsh was just as unique. He was instrumental in lifting the club from the third to the first division and lifting the league cup on the way.

Stan had a very similar effect on the team. We were lucky to experience them both It's a generational thing I suppose but our club has had many inspirational players through the years.
Bowles and Legends on 22:22 - Feb 19 with 1157 viewsWatfordR

Bowles and Legends on 18:11 - Feb 19 by Addinall

Me neither but as a fan of some 75 years I can remember when Rodney Marsh was just as unique. He was instrumental in lifting the club from the third to the first division and lifting the league cup on the way.

Stan had a very similar effect on the team. We were lucky to experience them both It's a generational thing I suppose but our club has had many inspirational players through the years.

I never saw Rodney play for us, my first game was also Stan's first game for us. So i can't really talk about Rodney and what he did for us.

I suppose in my mind, the difference would be that Stan did it for us at the highest level both in England and Europe, in the UEFA Cup which at the time was a far harder competition to progress in than the European Cup.

Certainly, if I had to name one player that embodied everything that was "special" about our club, it would be Stan, no question.
Bowles and Legends on 22:51 - Feb 19 with 1112 viewsnix

I don't see as an own goal. There may be a number of people who remember Stan Bowles play but there are an awful lot of fans who have never seem him play.

Those that campaigned for this are very passionate about it but my view is if they feel this strongly they should fundraise for it and not expect those who are already bankrolling the club to pay out even more for something they don't even want.

It's very easy to be generous with someone else's money! (I know this is probably unpopular on here but I think there are tons of other things the club could do with the stadium but I'd prefer things that will involve the younger fans for the future).
Bowles and Legends on 22:54 - Feb 19 with 1095 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair comments as ever, Nix.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bowles and Legends on 23:38 - Feb 19 with 1054 viewsE17hoop

Bowles and Legends on 22:51 - Feb 19 by nix

I don't see as an own goal. There may be a number of people who remember Stan Bowles play but there are an awful lot of fans who have never seem him play.

Those that campaigned for this are very passionate about it but my view is if they feel this strongly they should fundraise for it and not expect those who are already bankrolling the club to pay out even more for something they don't even want.

It's very easy to be generous with someone else's money! (I know this is probably unpopular on here but I think there are tons of other things the club could do with the stadium but I'd prefer things that will involve the younger fans for the future).

My son never saw Stan play and has no idea about how he played. For him, Taarabt, Faurlin and Clint Hill have more meaning to him.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Bowles and Legends on 23:44 - Feb 19 with 1050 viewsted_hendrix

Find this a wee bit embarrasing to be honest, I think it's a tad wrong for the club to come at supporters with what is basically a begging bowl bearing in mind the cost of living and the soon to rise cost of living regarding fuel price hikes, never mind the actual cost of supporting the club in the first place.
Having said that I fully understand the financial cost to the club too in the current climate.
I can live without this renaming of the stand for the time being and would have been OK if it was shelved until the end of the season, I mean who knows we still might even get promoted to what some people call the 'promised land' where there lives vast amounts of delicious cash.

That's how I see it anyway and In any case I won't be contributing.

I loved watching Stan and Rod in equal measures.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bowles and Legends on 02:51 - Feb 20 with 990 viewsPunteR

I don't really have a problem with renaming the Stand. We're not the only club to name one after a legend of the club. Crack on.
It's good to see the club listen to a small(?) section of the fan base and give them the opportunity to get the ball rolling.
I don't really have a problem donating a fiver if that helps. I won't lose any sleep over it. Of course the owners could pay for it though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bowles and Legends on 13:47 - Feb 20 with 864 viewsMedwayR

The club were clear at the time the decision was made that the fans would have to pay for it, seems a lot of people missed or have forgotten that, I expect the vocal minority probably decided to stay quiet on that part of the agreement too.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/recognising-our-former-players-241221/

“I make no secret that my aim is to protect as much money as I can for the first-team budget, so supporter contribution for this initiative is going to be critical to its implementation.

“This has been a fan-led initiative. While the club will be helping to facilitate the fundraising for the cost of the changes, this will still need to be financed as a fan-based initiative.

“Any funds raised beyond the costs incurred will be donated to The No.10 Foundation.”

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024