Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match officials today.... 21:05 - Feb 19 with 10031 viewsWatfordR

Either this was the worst collective performance I think I've seen at LR, or the laws of the game are now so convoluted that it's impossible for officials to be wrong no matter what they do.

I'm going to watch the full match back again as and when it's available, but I'm struggling to think of one major decision they got right:

Neither the ref of the lino knew whether the Hull goal had crossed the line - it clearly had

Forss should have been red carded just before half time - ref saw nothing, the fourth official did see something, but presumably not the kick, right in front of him

Albert was completely cleaned out by Ingram and that ought to have been a pen

Albert's goal should have stood - astonishing that neither ref nor linesman apparently saw the deflection that played him on irrespective of where the lino thought he was in the lead up

Countless offside decisions ruled incorrectly, including the ludicrous flagging of Albert in the first half after the crossfield pass which their LB got caught under. It simply isn't possible for the lino to be looking at where Albert was at the same time the ball was played from 50 yards away on the other side of the pitch.

The Ingram incident which I clocked via the scoreboard as having been near enough sixteen minutes. So all the time wasting by them, all the watch pointing by the ref, all that added up to -1 extra minutes.

Clear corner for us just before the end given as a goal kick

Just utter ineptitude. Can't be arsed listening to all the "well these things will even themselves out". I'd rather I wasn't having to keep count of the hopeless decisions and trying to work out whether we won or lost on aggregate over the season. There's enough money in the game to pay and train full time officials so that we don't have to put up with such a lottery of incompetence every single game.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 21:12]
Match officials today.... on 20:08 - Feb 20 with 1994 viewsNorthernr

Match officials today.... on 20:04 - Feb 20 by Benny_the_Ball

It could've been worse if the offside Hull striker had converted. Thank goodness Dieng got a touch.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 20:06]

I've seen the replay of that now and it's disgusting. The bloke is fcking miles and miles and miles offside. How on earth?
Match officials today.... on 20:28 - Feb 20 with 1903 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Match officials today.... on 20:08 - Feb 20 by Northernr

I've seen the replay of that now and it's disgusting. The bloke is fcking miles and miles and miles offside. How on earth?

For that alone the ref deserves no more than a 4.
Match officials today.... on 20:30 - Feb 20 with 1928 viewsNoelmc

If officials' calls tend to even themselves out over the season, let's hope all our positive ones are being saved up for the Play-off Final. We are certainly due a few.
Match officials today.... on 20:33 - Feb 20 with 1915 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What makes it worse is that the same linesman was giving offside after offside against us in the first half. Meanwhile mateyboy on Ellerslie Road was soaking up the adulation just in time for his swansong. I'm not sure I've seen a game quite like it before. Very frustrating.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Match officials today.... on 20:34 - Feb 20 with 1911 viewsstowmarketrange

Match officials today.... on 14:46 - Feb 20 by PinnerPaul

Yes that's the pertinent point.

VAR/stills - as we can see the resolution isn't good enough to stop the frame on the exact moment the attacker FIRST played the ball - hence the big problem I have with VAR over these close ones. The angle on this isn't in line either.

BUT in real life, without VAR, benefit of doubt should always go with attacker, but its difficult because in real life AR doesn't get the benefit of a 'still' - but on balance I think it looks onside to me, but NOT because of any deflection!

I had exactly the same situation in my granddaughter’s game today.The attacker had a shot which deflected off one of our defenders to another of their players who was stood in the penalty area.I reckon she might’ve been just about level,but it didn’t matter as she missed with the shot anyway.
But it has to be a split second decision on whether she was offside or not.I decided to keep the flag down,but then I’m only a 61 year old amateur linesman without the benefit of 20/20 vision that the top quality ones should have.
I was quite pleased with myself though when I waited a few seconds to flag one player offside only when she touched the ball,despite all the parents and even our manager screaming for offside the minute the ball was played forwards towards her.
Match officials today.... on 20:47 - Feb 20 with 1887 viewsstevec

Match officials today.... on 09:13 - Feb 20 by wortonranger

Not there...watching in Estonia..but at least I got to see replays. Not a penalty....total accident and Its a shame we are more bothered about that than poor Mat’s state of health, the deflection re non goal is irrelevant as clearly explained already..a decision that needed VAR which most on here are against, it was a goal kick at the end and the kick out was hard to see but might come in for attention in any review. The time when they missed a sitter did look a mile off at first but was closer on the replay.
Reminds me of the horrendous running the line by biased dads..and mums..that takes place at kids matches every weekend! How many of you are guilty of that?
We didn’t win because we didn’t make enough chances. Simples.

I thank you.
Match officials today.... on 21:36 - Feb 20 with 1790 viewsWatfordR

Match officials today.... on 09:13 - Feb 20 by wortonranger

Not there...watching in Estonia..but at least I got to see replays. Not a penalty....total accident and Its a shame we are more bothered about that than poor Mat’s state of health, the deflection re non goal is irrelevant as clearly explained already..a decision that needed VAR which most on here are against, it was a goal kick at the end and the kick out was hard to see but might come in for attention in any review. The time when they missed a sitter did look a mile off at first but was closer on the replay.
Reminds me of the horrendous running the line by biased dads..and mums..that takes place at kids matches every weekend! How many of you are guilty of that?
We didn’t win because we didn’t make enough chances. Simples.

I've looked again at the footage of the Ingram challenge half a dozen times now. He knows he isn't getting the ball. Once he knows he isn't getting the ball, the only thing he looks at is Albert, and he doesn't take his eyes off Albert again until they collide. It's there in living technicolour mate!

Re the disallowed goal, as Pinner says, without VAR, the benefit of doubt should always go with the attacker in a tight call, but it didn't, made worse because it was the wrong call. I haven't seen the incident right at the end replayed, I will have a look at it once the full match replay is available.

The kick out by Forss was presumably spotted by the fourth official, because the ref didn't give a free kick initially, and it should have been a red, without any question.

Their sitter looked a mile offside because it was not even close to being onside.

There's no doubt, on balance, they got far more of the favourable decisions yesterday than we did, and all of the important ones. I've no idea which of the Hull players were related to the officials.

You may feel we should have made more chances, should have played better or whatever, and we'd all be delighted if we had. But we didn't win yesterday because the officials got key decisions wrong. It doesn't come any simpler.
Match officials today.... on 21:40 - Feb 20 with 1783 viewsdachiltern

Too old and too long in tooth an remember when office was offside no matter which part of the playing field the miscreant was on. So we now find law has been changed and mucked about with so much even officials have no idea what is and what isn’t. As with fouls just watched motd from yesterday and my mate Mr Mason is no better with cameras all over the fookin p,ace. How are officials supposed to know what ‘this weeks’ interpretation is?
To the layman what looks like a foul is accepted by professional footballers and should be ignored,hence at a corner players are hanging onto each other’s throats, gonads, shorts, pushing blatantly and throwing each other on the floor but nothing given.
As for yesterday, the senior official summed it up when walking off at the end with the ball tucked under his arm as if to say, “well its’ my ball and you’re not playing” until the blatant assault in front of the benches I thought he was doing recently well, his assistants were a tad up their own and was not particularly impressed and then it all well wrong. Obvious red card, followed by 1/2 time. Reappears for 2nd half, deliberately drops the ball down down, kicks it towards the centre mark watching the ball roll along the line and puffs his chest out when it rolls slightly off before reaching our lad waiting to take the restart. This is a game of professional football not a Sunday morning kiddiwinks kick about!
Thereafter he bowled about the playing field with two assistants who left a great deal to be desired and looked out of their depth. Decisions given, not given, with the majority being blatant and imo wrong,
Finally when should a referee stop pointing at his watch, indicating too the audience he is aware but still do nothing about it?
All in all, the four officials should be looking at themselves and question are they good enough for this level, step back and gain experience, particularly of what players expect at this level and have the balls to say the offside law is a shambles ...
The last one will certainly not happen as they will not be appointed to a further game, end off.

Just saying.
Login to get fewer ads

Match officials today.... on 22:32 - Feb 20 with 1684 viewsHamptonR

The ref on Saturday wasn't a cheat, nor was he biased, he was incompetent.
The lazy fat sod guessed at a few decisions, allowed players to undermine his authority, which basically means, they took the pee out if him and he was happy to let it happen.

He gave most of, if not all of the throw in calls at the Ellerslie road side, as all refs do, and before our resident experts tell me, that this does not happen, it does, I have been sitting in the same seat, very close to the half way line for nearly 50 years and refs make the throw in calls.
The Lino, sorry AR's, on the Ellerslie side are not trusted to make throw in decisions but can give offside calls that can and do change a game.
The standard of refereeing in the premier league is poor, because they are shitting themselves about VAR, and possibly getting a call wrong, but in our league, they don't give a monkeys, because they are not under that scrutiny.
Match officials today.... on 15:27 - Feb 21 with 1527 viewsPinnerPaul

Match officials today.... on 18:14 - Feb 20 by davman

Apologies. Not intending to have a pop - will think harder about my posts.

I really enjoy your views, Paul and wouldn't want to ignore your views. Always healthy for me to read other viewpoints. I will openly admit I have a prejudice against "professional" referees as I think that their individual inconsistency is mind boggling.

All the time for those who volunteer down the pyramid as it is a hard, thankless job, but if our band of well paid EPL and EFL is really the best we can offer, oh, dear.

No intent at a dig, but reading back, you are right, it read that way - sorry!

That's very good of you - thanks.

Don't worry, I sometimes skim through threads and think "What idiot wrote that?" and turns out its me!

As I just mentioned on Clive's match thread, I guess the acid test will be if we get as 'promised' "VAR lite" in this league - its one or the other - VAR with all the faults/delays/inconsistencies or humans with yes the faults and inconsistencies, but at least no delays and not being able to REALLY celebrate goals at times!

As a referee its the mandatory ones that get me like Clive - he's kicked the bloke = red, he kicked the ball down the field - its yellow.

He's 2cm onside - shrug, it happens.
Match officials today.... on 15:31 - Feb 21 with 1513 viewsPinnerPaul

What do you think about my QPR player played the ball theory (or at least they thought he did)

Feel free to reply "Come on Paul, we've all had a drink" if you like!

I'm even doubting that one myself because I don't see how the ref has time to shout "QPR touch" on comms quick enough to stop AR putting his flag up.

Like the Sunderland one, but UNLIKE Albert's, if no QPR touch this isn't even close!
Match officials today.... on 15:34 - Feb 21 with 1510 viewsPinnerPaul

Match officials today.... on 20:34 - Feb 20 by stowmarketrange

I had exactly the same situation in my granddaughter’s game today.The attacker had a shot which deflected off one of our defenders to another of their players who was stood in the penalty area.I reckon she might’ve been just about level,but it didn’t matter as she missed with the shot anyway.
But it has to be a split second decision on whether she was offside or not.I decided to keep the flag down,but then I’m only a 61 year old amateur linesman without the benefit of 20/20 vision that the top quality ones should have.
I was quite pleased with myself though when I waited a few seconds to flag one player offside only when she touched the ball,despite all the parents and even our manager screaming for offside the minute the ball was played forwards towards her.

Same age as me - take the course and get paid for it!

Well done on that last paragraph, but as you found out, it takes a brave man to do it.

Even at only slightly higher levels that I do, most people DO get the 'late' flag - not all - but most!
Match officials today.... on 15:37 - Feb 21 with 1507 viewsNorthernr

Match officials today.... on 15:31 - Feb 21 by PinnerPaul

What do you think about my QPR player played the ball theory (or at least they thought he did)

I'm even doubting that one myself because I don't see how the ref has time to shout "QPR touch" on comms quick enough to stop AR putting his flag up.

Like the Sunderland one, but UNLIKE Albert's, if no QPR touch this isn't even close!

Well.... perhaps. But the lino can't possibly see that from where he is, lots of bodies on between, long way away, so are we suggesting that the referee has said in the ear piece that the QPR players has touched it? I would expect the lino to have flagged, and the referee to have then decided otherwise. If it was the referee on the mic, then that takes us back to the thorny issue of the Sunderland disallowed goal and any potential referee input into it.
Match officials today.... on 15:40 - Feb 21 with 1496 viewskensalriser

I thought the officiating was as bad as I've seen this season. Forss should have been sent off at least for a second yellow and Albert wasn't offside. We probably would have won that 3-1.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Match officials today.... on 15:48 - Feb 21 with 1476 viewsPikey

The deflection for the offside goal is irrelevant. The decision is based on when the ball was played forward by the attacker. Very tight and possibly wrong but nothing to do with the deflection
Match officials today.... on 16:50 - Feb 21 with 1430 viewsWatfordR

Match officials today.... on 15:31 - Feb 21 by PinnerPaul

Unless you're saying the ref told the linesman it was a back pass. I don't get this. Surely we've established now that a deflection off a QPR player doesn't stop their player being offside??

The point about getting marginal offsides wrong - as an official - being "oh well, sh1t happens". I think if the rule is interpreted consistently as "it's marginal, so let's give the benefit of doubt to the attacking side", then it becomes a lot less frustrating for fans, and probably players, to accept. If for example, Albert's goal stands, then the view of the onside decision for Hull later becomes more of a "well, the decision may be wrong, but as a defender you know you're taking a risk looking to play offside, because the attacker always gets the benefit".

With these two instances, the benefit of doubt has been applied completely differently by the officials, and that really doesn't reflect well on the officials, does it? It's all very well saying, oh well technically that should be a red and that should be a yellow and I'm really frustrated they got those decisions wrong, but neither of those incorrect decisions has directly impacted the result.

The two that did impact the result, ie that meant the result could have been a win or loss for either team, are the ones which it would appear that the officials won't really care about getting wrong, they'll just write it off to human error. But consistent application of the rules would have at least led to one of those decisons being right, which is a 50% improvement in officials performance.
Match officials today.... on 17:03 - Feb 21 with 1389 viewsEsox_Lucius

Match officials today.... on 22:20 - Feb 19 by stevec

I was there and I’m not sure why the ref is getting so much stick.

It was the lino’s fault if Albert was onside, it was also the Lino who missed Hulls goal not the ref, yes Forss could have been sent off but from the angle the fourth official would have had a better view than the ref. Albert was not cleaned out by Ingram, Albert was on the blind side and if anything the ref could easily have given a free kick the other way. Ingram was laid out for 12 minutes so 15 overall was about right and finally our player was the last to touch for the goal kick the ref gave near the end.

Albert WAS cleaned out by Ingram; it happened right beneath me and Ingram just jumped at Albert in an attempt to make himself wide and clattered him. A definite penalty.

The grass is always greener.

Match officials today.... on 17:30 - Feb 21 with 1338 viewsWatfordR

Match officials today.... on 17:03 - Feb 21 by Esox_Lucius

Albert WAS cleaned out by Ingram; it happened right beneath me and Ingram just jumped at Albert in an attempt to make himself wide and clattered him. A definite penalty.

You are dead right, you've only got to look at the replay. Ingram looks up, sees he isn't getting the ball, and from that point on is only ever looking at Albert until he hits him.
Match officials today.... on 17:58 - Feb 21 with 1277 viewsPinnerPaul

Match officials today.... on 15:37 - Feb 21 by Northernr

Well.... perhaps. But the lino can't possibly see that from where he is, lots of bodies on between, long way away, so are we suggesting that the referee has said in the ear piece that the QPR players has touched it? I would expect the lino to have flagged, and the referee to have then decided otherwise. If it was the referee on the mic, then that takes us back to the thorny issue of the Sunderland disallowed goal and any potential referee input into it.

Just seen it all back, ignore my nonsense theory, ref actually looks across at AR and he (the ref) is closest to the Hull pass - that is an appallingly bad decision - its not even close and no excuses about a blocked view either!
Match officials today.... on 18:22 - Feb 21 with 1239 viewspaulhoop2

Be interesting to see where the VAR screen would be positioned at LR ? Very tight to touchline so most would be able to see it along with ref

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Match officials today.... on 08:59 - Feb 22 with 1087 viewsPinnerPaul

I won't be interested, I'll be horrified, wherever it is!
Match officials today.... on 09:25 - Feb 22 with 1051 viewsLazyFan

Ass refs both of them were terrible, neither seemed to know the offside rule. And the 4th one seemed to not know what a Red card offence is either.

Made it hard for the ref both of them did. Can we really blame the ref with those 3 making it worse for him? Reminds of Ryan Nelson song of your on your own.

On the upside despite such terrible refs, Dull were very bad and did not lose even when going behind. Dull after Reading are the worst team I have seen. One or two players were decent, but really they were proper dreck. Lucky they have the points they have otherwise they might go down which is still a possibility for them.

Hopefully, the players learn from this game that they must take games into their own and cannot expect any Lumley favours.

zzzzzzzzzz

Match officials today.... on 22:25 - Feb 22 with 907 viewsstowmarketrange

Match officials today.... on 09:25 - Feb 22 by LazyFan

Ass refs both of them were terrible, neither seemed to know the offside rule. And the 4th one seemed to not know what a Red card offence is either.

Made it hard for the ref both of them did. Can we really blame the ref with those 3 making it worse for him? Reminds of Ryan Nelson song of your on your own.

On the upside despite such terrible refs, Dull were very bad and did not lose even when going behind. Dull after Reading are the worst team I have seen. One or two players were decent, but really they were proper dreck. Lucky they have the points they have otherwise they might go down which is still a possibility for them.

Hopefully, the players learn from this game that they must take games into their own and cannot expect any Lumley favours.

They were just as bad for the Middlesbrough game tonight.The Lino missed a deliberate handball right in front of him.The ref books one player for kicking the ball away but lets another player away with it twice without a booking.And several fouls not given to both sides.
Is this really the 2nd best set of officials in the country?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024