Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hols 14:47 - Mar 9 with 5332 views222gers

A nice spring day and an old man's fancy turns to hols.
This year presumably untrammelled by Covid.
The wife fancied a few weeks in Bridgewater, Somerset.
I was a bit put off by that song, what was it ? Oh yeah, Trouble Over Bridgewater.
Any plans yet ?
Hols on 15:01 - Mar 9 with 3503 viewsR_from_afar

For the foreseeable future, most of Mrs R from Afar and my holidays are likely to be in Scotland because we need to see a very sick relative while she is still with us but all our trips there so far have been excellent.

We are probably going to spend four or five nights in Dumfries and Galloway in May and it's an interesting area, very peaceful with lots of history, including The Merlin Trail.

We spent 10 days on the Isle of Arran last September and it was wonderful. Great for hiking and wildlife watching and plenty of history and geology to get stuck into.

Talking of Somerset, we're having a weekend in Frome soon. Very historic, eclectic shops (including the wonderful Raves from the Grave record shop) and the spiritual home of two of my favourite bands, Eat Static and Ozric Tentacles.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Hols on 15:29 - Mar 9 with 3446 viewsBoston

Hols on 15:01 - Mar 9 by R_from_afar

For the foreseeable future, most of Mrs R from Afar and my holidays are likely to be in Scotland because we need to see a very sick relative while she is still with us but all our trips there so far have been excellent.

We are probably going to spend four or five nights in Dumfries and Galloway in May and it's an interesting area, very peaceful with lots of history, including The Merlin Trail.

We spent 10 days on the Isle of Arran last September and it was wonderful. Great for hiking and wildlife watching and plenty of history and geology to get stuck into.

Talking of Somerset, we're having a weekend in Frome soon. Very historic, eclectic shops (including the wonderful Raves from the Grave record shop) and the spiritual home of two of my favourite bands, Eat Static and Ozric Tentacles.

Dumfries…or as a lad who grew up a few houses over from me used to pronounce it, Dumb Fries. Fellah was a truck driver, made regular stops there, gawd knows what the locals made of him.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hols on 16:24 - Mar 9 with 3379 viewsMrSheen

Just booked the ferry for a month in Kerry!
Hols on 16:38 - Mar 9 with 3351 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Oh oh oh oh sweet child of Minehead is all I have booked so far.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Hols on 18:18 - Mar 9 with 3196 viewsnix

I love Frome. As you say, interesting selection of independent shops and craftsmen.

Have you been to Hauser and Wirth near Bruton . If not it's a combination of art gallery, garden and restaurant. Lovely place for lunch but you have to book in advance.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 18:56]
Hols on 18:41 - Mar 9 with 3151 viewsCamberleyR

Hols on 18:18 - Mar 9 by nix

I love Frome. As you say, interesting selection of independent shops and craftsmen.

Have you been to Hauser and Wirth near Bruton . If not it's a combination of art gallery, garden and restaurant. Lovely place for lunch but you have to book in advance.

Bruton's not far from me, about 10 miles up the road from where I now live in Milborne Port. It's also where Sarah Beeny moved to to build that massive new house of hers.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Hols on 18:42 - Mar 9 with 3150 viewsloftboy

Rhodes in July for me again.
Was meant to be off to Barbados in two days but have postponed until next year.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hols on 18:53 - Mar 9 with 3118 viewsaston_hoop

Just got back from Mexico a couple of days back so haven't thought about summer yet. Did bump into a fellow R at Chichen Itza though while wearing my hoops!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Hols on 18:55 - Mar 9 with 3112 viewsnix

Hols on 18:41 - Mar 9 by CamberleyR

Bruton's not far from me, about 10 miles up the road from where I now live in Milborne Port. It's also where Sarah Beeny moved to to build that massive new house of hers.

Lucky you. Beautiful part of the world.
Hols on 19:09 - Mar 9 with 3076 viewsozranger

Back to Oz for me for about 10 weeks. But, a few days in Devon during the international break as well.
Hols on 19:57 - Mar 9 with 2991 viewsCamberleyR

Hols on 18:55 - Mar 9 by nix

Lucky you. Beautiful part of the world.

Thanks. We think we're very blessed to live here.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Hols on 20:19 - Mar 9 with 2948 viewsPeterHucker

Hols on 19:57 - Mar 9 by CamberleyR

Thanks. We think we're very blessed to live here.

To those that mentioned Somerset, what a great part of the world.
I've done a couple of holidays in Porlock, love it there.
Great base for walking the Coleridge Way or the coastal path.
Several really good options for eating / drinking there too, my favourite being The Ship.
Hols on 20:48 - Mar 9 with 2906 viewsPunteR

Just booked. Boscastle . Cornwall again, third year running. Secluded cottage with a massive enclosed garden for the dog to run around. Looking forward to it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hols on 20:57 - Mar 9 with 2877 viewsR_from_afar

Hols on 18:18 - Mar 9 by nix

I haven't, Nix, but many thanks for the tip

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Hols on 21:03 - Mar 9 with 2853 viewsqpr_1968

spent a week in dumfries and galloway back in may 2007.
loved it, plenty of rain though.
stayed in a nice log cabin, cowans farm it was called.
visited a few places, caelaverock castle and sweetheart abbey to name but a few.
didnt know then that queen of the south played in dumfries.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Hols on 21:43 - Mar 9 with 2788 viewsBoston

Hols on 16:24 - Mar 9 by MrSheen

Just booked the ferry for a month in Kerry!

There’s a song there somewhere.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hols on 22:05 - Mar 9 with 2748 views222gers

Hols on 21:43 - Mar 9 by Boston

There’s a song there somewhere.

I am a man of Kerry, the land of eggs and bacon,
If you think I'll eat your fish 'n' chips you're f***ing well mistaken.
Hols on 22:36 - Mar 9 with 2694 viewsBeckenhamhoop

I wonder if the pre COVID levels of foreign travel will ever return.
Hols on 22:36 - Mar 9 with 2693 viewsMrSheen

Hols on 21:03 - Mar 9 by qpr_1968

visited a few places, caelaverock castle and sweetheart abbey to name but a few.

After Hadrian’s Wall, I looked at a coast to coast trail across the South of Scotland. Ruled it out because there are such long stretches in D&G with nowhere to stay, 30 miles or more along the trail without a village with a hotel or B&B, I hadn’t realised how deserted it was up there.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 22:38]
Hols on 22:42 - Mar 9 with 2679 viewscolinallcars

Hols on 22:05 - Mar 9 by 222gers

I am a man of Kerry, the land of eggs and bacon,
If you think I'll eat your fish 'n' chips you're f***ing well mistaken.

They used to sing that in the boozers around Hammersmith about 50 years ago ! Never thought I'd see it on here.
Hols on 22:58 - Mar 9 with 2644 viewsWren67

Hols on 21:03 - Mar 9 by qpr_1968

I spent a week in Dumfries in the late 80s and it pissed with rain but wasnt as cold as I expected.
Really really wanted to go to John O'groats this year in the New Year but illness has put paid to that fine idea as well as all the away matches i planned.
Spring in Royal Berkshire Hospital or if well Huddersfield
Hols on 23:02 - Mar 9 with 2633 viewslightwaterhoop

Puglia,Southern Italy in June.Sightseeing and a bit of beach.Its the first holiday we have had since Covid and i dont think i will really believe it until were there.Fingers crossed.
Hols on 23:11 - Mar 9 with 2623 viewslightwaterhoop

Hols on 22:58 - Mar 9 by Wren67

I spent a week in Dumfries in the late 80s and it pissed with rain but wasnt as cold as I expected.
Really really wanted to go to John O'groats this year in the New Year but illness has put paid to that fine idea as well as all the away matches i planned.

All the best for a speedy recovery.
Hols on 07:32 - Mar 10 with 2513 viewsnix

Hols on 22:58 - Mar 9 by Wren67

Hope you get better soon and are back torturing yourself with QPR away games!
Hols on 08:25 - Mar 10 with 2466 viewsR_from_afar

Hols on 23:02 - Mar 9 by lightwaterhoop

Puglia,Southern Italy in June.Sightseeing and a bit of beach.Its the first holiday we have had since Covid and i dont think i will really believe it until were there.Fingers crossed.

Puglia is wonderful. Vieste is a lovely beach resort, Lecce is an interesting and historic city and if you are into your ancient or Roman history, the site of the Romans' catastrophic defeat by Hannibal, Cannae, is worth a visit. It was free to get in and there was an excellent, virtually brand new museum there when we visited four years ago.

The cream of the crop is Matera, an historic town perched on a gorge and which was the location for the car chase in the latest Bond film. It is just over the border in Basilicata but is utterly spectacular, especially at dusk on a clear day when the street lights come on and the place seems to have a rosy glow.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024