Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hols 14:47 - Mar 9 with 5601 views222gers

A nice spring day and an old man's fancy turns to hols.
This year presumably untrammelled by Covid.
The wife fancied a few weeks in Bridgewater, Somerset.
I was a bit put off by that song, what was it ? Oh yeah, Trouble Over Bridgewater.
Any plans yet ?
Hols on 08:47 - Mar 10 with 1848 viewsdistortR

Hols on 18:18 - Mar 9 by nix

I love Frome. As you say, interesting selection of independent shops and craftsmen.

Have you been to Hauser and Wirth near Bruton . If not it's a combination of art gallery, garden and restaurant. Lovely place for lunch but you have to book in advance.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 18:56]

'garden'.
I'll give you garden.
Piet Oudolf designed, that is a GARDEN.
Would love to visit it, really into Oudolf's gardens, his vision. Not trying to recreate nature, as such, but the emotion, to paraphrase.
Hols on 08:51 - Mar 10 with 1838 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hols on 22:58 - Mar 9 by Wren67

I spent a week in Dumfries in the late 80s and it pissed with rain but wasnt as cold as I expected.
Really really wanted to go to John O'groats this year in the New Year but illness has put paid to that fine idea as well as all the away matches i planned.
Spring in Royal Berkshire Hospital or if well Huddersfield

Get well soon, Wren.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hols on 08:54 - Mar 10 with 1824 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hols on 08:25 - Mar 10 by R_from_afar

Puglia is wonderful. Vieste is a lovely beach resort, Lecce is an interesting and historic city and if you are into your ancient or Roman history, the site of the Romans' catastrophic defeat by Hannibal, Cannae, is worth a visit. It was free to get in and there was an excellent, virtually brand new museum there when we visited four years ago.

The cream of the crop is Matera, an historic town perched on a gorge and which was the location for the car chase in the latest Bond film. It is just over the border in Basilicata but is utterly spectacular, especially at dusk on a clear day when the street lights come on and the place seems to have a rosy glow.

The Giro d'Italia passed through Matera a couple of years ago. Mind-blowing!

I'd never heard of it before, now I can't wait to go!

Hols on 11:06 - Mar 10 with 1753 viewsderbyhoop

West coast of France is well worth exploring.

Planning a trip to Sables d'Olonne this Summer; But then it is less than 3 hours and I don't have to worry about passports

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hols on 15:54 - Mar 10 with 1643 viewsqpr_1968

Hols on 22:58 - Mar 9 by Wren67

I spent a week in Dumfries in the late 80s and it pissed with rain but wasnt as cold as I expected.
Really really wanted to go to John O'groats this year in the New Year but illness has put paid to that fine idea as well as all the away matches i planned.
Spring in Royal Berkshire Hospital or if well Huddersfield

hope nothing too serious wren.
get well soon mate.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Hols on 16:35 - Mar 10 with 1598 viewsTheChef

Hopefully going to Canada, having had to postpone it the last two summers!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hols on 16:54 - Mar 10 with 1575 viewsBklynRanger

Heading to Istanbul on Saturday hopefully. A week of walking, kebabs and raki in roughly that order. Never been but it looks interesting.

We booked tickets to Taiwan in August quite a while ago. Was a good price but Taiwan still isn't.. eh.. open to foreigners, which could be an issue. Will give that another couple of months and if they're still closed look elsewhere, maybe northern Thailand, they're open.
Hols on 17:07 - Mar 10 with 1559 viewsBlackCrowe

Hols on 16:54 - Mar 10 by BklynRanger

Heading to Istanbul on Saturday hopefully. A week of walking, kebabs and raki in roughly that order. Never been but it looks interesting.

We booked tickets to Taiwan in August quite a while ago. Was a good price but Taiwan still isn't.. eh.. open to foreigners, which could be an issue. Will give that another couple of months and if they're still closed look elsewhere, maybe northern Thailand, they're open.

Istanbul is great. Be sure to get to Ortakoy - coastal suburb of Istanbul, full of life, bars and restaurants. You can get a 20 minute ferry there.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Hols on 17:19 - Mar 10 with 1548 viewsBklynRanger

Hols on 17:07 - Mar 10 by BlackCrowe

Istanbul is great. Be sure to get to Ortakoy - coastal suburb of Istanbul, full of life, bars and restaurants. You can get a 20 minute ferry there.

Great, thanks for that BC, will stick it on the list.
Hols on 17:25 - Mar 10 with 1532 viewsMick_S

I got hammered on Raki in Crete before 10:00 one morning. Greek hospitality - everyone drinking in a village kafenion. Genuinely rude to refuse as it was for my Dad who was a bit unwell at the time. Came out of the cafe and got taken round the village where we were offered more raki, and more raki.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Hols on 17:58 - Mar 10 with 1503 viewslightwaterhoop

Hols on 08:25 - Mar 10 by R_from_afar

Puglia is wonderful. Vieste is a lovely beach resort, Lecce is an interesting and historic city and if you are into your ancient or Roman history, the site of the Romans' catastrophic defeat by Hannibal, Cannae, is worth a visit. It was free to get in and there was an excellent, virtually brand new museum there when we visited four years ago.

The cream of the crop is Matera, an historic town perched on a gorge and which was the location for the car chase in the latest Bond film. It is just over the border in Basilicata but is utterly spectacular, especially at dusk on a clear day when the street lights come on and the place seems to have a rosy glow.

Thanks for the tip about Cannae were staying in Lecce and then Trani so i'l see if we can fit it into our itinerary.
Hols on 22:06 - Mar 10 with 1405 viewswombat

Hols on 17:58 - Mar 10 by lightwaterhoop

Thanks for the tip about Cannae were staying in Lecce and then Trani so i'l see if we can fit it into our itinerary.

Four days in Lisbon in June
The 9 days sat by a pool in Morocco can’t wait ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Hols on 22:42 - Mar 10 with 1368 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Climbing Mount Toubkal in Morocco in May (deposit only, as I hope Rangers and Cork GAA will stop me climbing that one in May).

Lourdes in late May.

Greek island with my parents in October, thanks to you fine people and all o your good advice.

Hols on 23:20 - Mar 10 with 1351 viewsted_hendrix

Hols on 22:42 - Mar 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Climbing Mount Toubkal in Morocco in May (deposit only, as I hope Rangers and Cork GAA will stop me climbing that one in May).

Lourdes in late May.

Greek island with my parents in October, thanks to you fine people and all o your good advice.

Lourdes in late May.

Not sure If you've been before Brian?

I've been twice with the Wife (she's devout RC), first time we was helping with disabled kids as an organised pilgramage, second time was 'wife time'

I'm neither athiest/religious anti-religious or any bloody thing but I found Lourdes (especially the grotto) extremely moving, the walk through the town is a wee bit tacky but once you get to the grotto that's all forgotten, go to the underground Basilica, do the stations of the cross and take the dip!!!!

The main Mass that's held outside Is an unbelievable sight.

Was an eye opener for me on both occasions.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Hols on 23:31 - Mar 10 with 1332 viewsdaveB

Hoping to do the Florida trip we had planned for 2020 this july, unfortunately the kids being 2 years older mean the prices have gone up and hotel prices are ridiculous but we've waited so long I'm not cancelling it again
Hols on 09:58 - Mar 11 with 1265 viewsBklynRanger

Hols on 23:31 - Mar 10 by daveB

Hoping to do the Florida trip we had planned for 2020 this july, unfortunately the kids being 2 years older mean the prices have gone up and hotel prices are ridiculous but we've waited so long I'm not cancelling it again

Maybe look into the airbnb option, Dave, depending where you're looking in Florida?

We use them all the time these days and it also gives the option of cooking for yourself on the odd night.
Hols (n/t) on 11:00 - Mar 11 with 1224 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hols on 23:20 - Mar 10 by ted_hendrix

Lourdes in late May.

I've been twice with the Wife (she's devout RC), first time we was helping with disabled kids as an organised pilgramage, second time was 'wife time'

I'm neither athiest/religious anti-religious or any bloody thing but I found Lourdes (especially the grotto) extremely moving, the walk through the town is a wee bit tacky but once you get to the grotto that's all forgotten, go to the underground Basilica, do the stations of the cross and take the dip!!!!

Hi Ted,

I've been going since I was 16. A gang of us schoolkids from Kenton were brought out as helpers. Left unsupervised, we did lots of drinking, lots of dope and very little helping.

Still, I caught the Lourdes bug and have been going back ever since. The place has been very good to me, giving me strength and perspective at various points in my life. I have no faith myself, I suppose I am an atheist, but I love the peace in the place, and watching humanity at its most generous and most inclusive, and would heartily recommend it to anyone.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2022 11:30]

Hols on 11:25 - Mar 11 with 1192 viewsKonk

I've not been for 12 years, and I think Erdogan has/had clamped down on a lot of outdoor drinking etc, but it's absolutely one of my favourite cities in the world. Been there for 5 days with my wife and 4 days with mates for the football, and there's loads to do and see. So much history and stunning architecture, a really vibrant nightlife and amazing food. Absolutely loved it. Cabbies are mental and journeys to/from the airport weren't much fun, though.

When I visited there were loads of nice little spots around Galata in Beyoglu, there were some nice places around Besiktas (amazing atmosphere if you get the chance to go to a game). Balat was decent too for having a mooch with a few drinks along the way. Other than that, all of the big tourist sites are well worth a visit. It's an amazing city. Have fun.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Hols on 12:13 - Mar 11 with 1151 viewssupahoopsa

Have a large house in Pembrokeshire booked for the middle of August with the whole family and boyfriends/girlfriends - should be 12/13.

NEver been before, looking forward to some nice country/sea side walks, but M-I-L is no longer very mobile so will need to find things for her to do

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Hols on 12:15 - Mar 11 with 1139 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hols on 12:13 - Mar 11 by supahoopsa

Have a large house in Pembrokeshire booked for the middle of August with the whole family and boyfriends/girlfriends - should be 12/13.

NEver been before, looking forward to some nice country/sea side walks, but M-I-L is no longer very mobile so will need to find things for her to do

You're bringing your whole family and your boyfriends and girlfriends!

That's a Modern Family right there!

Hols on 12:19 - Mar 11 with 1135 viewsdaveB

Hols on 09:58 - Mar 11 by BklynRanger

Maybe look into the airbnb option, Dave, depending where you're looking in Florida?

We use them all the time these days and it also gives the option of cooking for yourself on the odd night.

Thats what we did in the end. Hotels had doubled in price as has the flight so we got a house through air bnb for 2 weeks for half the price
Hols on 13:15 - Mar 11 with 1087 viewsBklynRanger

Hols on 11:25 - Mar 11 by Konk

I've not been for 12 years, and I think Erdogan has/had clamped down on a lot of outdoor drinking etc, but it's absolutely one of my favourite cities in the world. Been there for 5 days with my wife and 4 days with mates for the football, and there's loads to do and see. So much history and stunning architecture, a really vibrant nightlife and amazing food. Absolutely loved it. Cabbies are mental and journeys to/from the airport weren't much fun, though.

When I visited there were loads of nice little spots around Galata in Beyoglu, there were some nice places around Besiktas (amazing atmosphere if you get the chance to go to a game). Balat was decent too for having a mooch with a few drinks along the way. Other than that, all of the big tourist sites are well worth a visit. It's an amazing city. Have fun.

Cheers Konk, we're actually staying in Beyoglu so that's good to hear.

Apparently it's been snowing there and is going to continue for the next 2 days - should be interesting.
Hols on 13:42 - Mar 11 with 1064 viewsKonk

Hols on 13:15 - Mar 11 by BklynRanger

Cheers Konk, we're actually staying in Beyoglu so that's good to hear.

Apparently it's been snowing there and is going to continue for the next 2 days - should be interesting.

Maybe not much outdoor eating and drinking then! It was a fair time ago, but I hope you like Efes because it was very difficult to get any other beer - popped into one offie and literally the only drink it sold was Efes - but you had the choice of bottles or cans. Great food, lovely people and tonnes of history. I really want a lamachun now. An amazing city - have a great trip.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Hols on 13:55 - Mar 11 with 1045 viewsDave_Lazy

Just back from two weeks out in Orlando. None of the theme park malarkey just relaxing and doing local stuff like Melbourne beach and local lakes. Lovely weather, terrible traffic. That will teach us to go over Presidents day and Spring Break as well as Snowbird quarter.
Hols on 14:07 - Mar 11 with 1018 viewsR_from_afar

Hols on 23:20 - Mar 10 by ted_hendrix

Lourdes in late May.

Ted, if you are interested in archaeology, you should go to see these caves. They are only an hour's drive from Lourdes and the prehistoric art - handprints with part of one of the fingers missing - there is very impressive and unusual.

https://grottesdegargas.fr/les-grottes-de-gargas/

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024