Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
subuteo 17:31 - Apr 1 with 2769 viewsqpr_1968

did we all play it.....of course we did.
who had the whole works, floodlights, stand and about 20 teams.

and is it still about.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

subuteo on 17:37 - Apr 1 with 2151 viewsMick_S

Very, very large QPR connections to the invention of Subbuteo. I can’t remember the name of the poster, but he was on one of the .org sites. Anyway, a member of his family, perhaps his Dad, invented it. The memory is not too hot on this one.

Not bad.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

subuteo on 17:43 - Apr 1 with 2133 viewsstevec

Still got them boxed up from 1960’s including QPR side.
subuteo on 17:45 - Apr 1 with 2127 viewsqpr_1968

subuteo on 17:43 - Apr 1 by stevec

Still got them boxed up from 1960’s including QPR side.

was that when they first appeared in the 60's?

subuteo on 17:49 - Apr 1 with 2111 viewsstevec

subuteo on 17:45 - Apr 1 by qpr_1968

was that when they first appeared in the 60's?

We were one of the later teams to turn up, had the big teams guess around 67/68 so rangers I’d hazard a guess around 69/70.
subuteo on 17:53 - Apr 1 with 2101 viewsdmm

Peter Adolph created Subbuteo in 1947. He was a QPR supporter. He died in 1994 and his coffin was adorned with a 3ft Subbuteo figure wearing a QPR strip.
subuteo on 18:01 - Apr 1 with 2085 viewsRanger_Things

I was the kid with permanently scabby knees from playing football on tarmac playgrounds. One time I had a strange boil type thing on my left knee and it looked infected. Mum thought it was just grit from the playground so cleaned it and gave it a squeeze. Out popped a subbuteo player’s head, it was Ian Gillard. Thing is I had broken him months before and had already saved up and bought a new home QPR team from Barnetts on Portobello. A few years back I mentioned this to someone and it turned out as a nipper he also had a subbuteo players noggin embedded in his knee so it must have been a thing back in the day.
I also got a toy car that came free in a cereal box stuck up my nose. No idea why the f uck I did that but most likely hopped up on Tizer and Sherbet DibDabs.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 18:07]
subuteo on 18:06 - Apr 1 with 2064 viewsqpr_1968

subuteo on 18:01 - Apr 1 by Ranger_Things

I was the kid with permanently scabby knees from playing football on tarmac playgrounds. One time I had a strange boil type thing on my left knee and it looked infected. Mum thought it was just grit from the playground so cleaned it and gave it a squeeze. Out popped a subbuteo player’s head, it was Ian Gillard. Thing is I had broken him months before and had already saved up and bought a new home QPR team from Barnetts on Portobello. A few years back I mentioned this to someone and it turned out as a nipper he also had a subbuteo players noggin embedded in his knee so it must have been a thing back in the day.
I also got a toy car that came free in a cereal box stuck up my nose. No idea why the f uck I did that but most likely hopped up on Tizer and Sherbet DibDabs.

brilliant

subuteo on 18:07 - Apr 1 with 2054 viewsMick_S

subuteo on 18:01 - Apr 1 by Ranger_Things

Thank god you never had a Space Hopper...?

Poo. Missed your edit.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 18:08]

Login to get fewer ads

subuteo on 18:20 - Apr 1 with 2036 viewsRanger_Things

subuteo on 18:07 - Apr 1 by Mick_S

Thank god you never had a Space Hopper...?

Poo. Missed your edit.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 18:08]

Space Hoppers were great fun. I didn’t have one but did have a pogo stick. It was red and blue and had a bolt sticking out on one side. Not sure if the old man put it together wrong or if it was just 70’s design. The bolt must have only stood proud half an inch but if used it the wrong way and fell off it would inflict some damage.
subuteo on 18:20 - Apr 1 with 2034 viewsPunteR

I was really good player back in the day but sustained an injury to my index finger (breadknife)and i wasn't the same player after. Also, potentially my finest hour (4 nil up) was cut short by my mum as she had to lay the table for dinner.
Ah..I could have been a contender.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

subuteo on 18:25 - Apr 1 with 2016 viewsMick_S

I’m trying to think how a toy or something hurt me when I were a lad. The gearstick on my orange chopper was often a culprit. Ooh err. I know someone that got an Action Man hand grenade stuck up his nose.

subuteo on 18:38 - Apr 1 with 2004 viewsdmm

I had a dartboard in my room. One day playing darts with my younger cousin I missed the dartboard completely and got him in his head. I pulled the dart out quickly hoping he hadn't noticed but annoyingly he had and he then proceeded to scream the place down.
subuteo on 19:01 - Apr 1 with 1973 viewsflynnbo

Recently, I have been purchasing vintage Subbuteo football but Subbuteo also had a moon game and an angling game which are both very rare. I bought and sold a Subbuteo Hockey game a coule of years ago which was only produced for a couple of years. The cricket and rugby games are also collectable but there are quite a few around. Got a couple of Choppers (1977 orange and silver mark 2 and a blue mark 1).
subuteo on 19:14 - Apr 1 with 1951 viewsHantsR

I've recently got our old Subbuteo game out for grandchildren.

Got the original layout (still on its board) plus various teams that we adapted (inc QPR of course) to reflect the growing ethnic diversity of teams - using Humbrol paint from the Airfix kits.

As a keen birder, I'm always keen to let folk know that Falco Subbuteo is the Latin name for the Eurasian Hobby - a summer visitor to these shores.
subuteo on 19:22 - Apr 1 with 1938 viewspaulparker

Yep I had the lot, floodlights , stand, camera man etc
Had the 85 QPR team, Liverpool and England
It all went well until my old mum hooved up Terry fenwick and then trod on Gary Bannister
Then it was boxed up and given to the Salvation Army

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

subuteo on 20:21 - Apr 1 with 1869 viewsHantsR

subuteo on 20:32 - Apr 1 with 1862 viewsToast_R

Remember having g the Mexico 86 set with the orange Adidas Tango balls. Had the QPR Guinness kit team, the Camera stand, score board, and fencing but never could afford the floodlights or Grandstand. Also wanted to upgrade to the AstroTurf Turf pitch as the cloth used to go all bobbly. In the 80s Gamleys toy shop in Sutton High St had a whole back section of the store dedicated to it. Great times.

Also got the Italia 90 set from Woolworths as a kind of renaissance.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 20:34]
subuteo on 20:56 - Apr 1 with 1834 viewsHayesender

I had the floodlights, stand, and I vaguely remember something that made fake crowd noise. Please tell me I haven't imagined the fake crowd noise thingy?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

subuteo on 21:06 - Apr 1 with 1819 viewsdmm

subuteo on 20:56 - Apr 1 by Hayesender

I had the floodlights, stand, and I vaguely remember something that made fake crowd noise. Please tell me I haven't imagined the fake crowd noise thingy?

Was it this? https://friendsofoldsubbuteo.uk/music/the-subbuteo-sound/

Or perhaps it was The Deluxe Parker Version seen here: http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/rivals02.htm
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 21:13]
subuteo on 22:32 - Apr 1 with 1754 viewsloftboy

Had the stand and had capacity crowd as I bought loads of packs of crowd!
Had my cloth nailed to a piece of MDF along with the 60’s styled fence surround, had the wooden scoreboard with the teams cut out of long strips.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2022 22:33]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

subuteo on 22:44 - Apr 1 with 1738 viewsTW_R

subuteo on 17:37 - Apr 1 by Mick_S

Very, very large QPR connections to the invention of Subbuteo. I can’t remember the name of the poster, but he was on one of the .org sites. Anyway, a member of his family, perhaps his Dad, invented it. The memory is not too hot on this one.

Not bad.

I think the name of the poster was RangersAreBack, which I thought was quite an odd name as we hadn’t actually been anywhere. I believe he was Peter Adolph’s son.

I loved Subbuteo as a kid. I had a 6’x4’ board that I pinned the pitch to. I think I still have most of the collection in the loft somewhere.
subuteo on 23:13 - Apr 1 with 1699 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loved it.
Was crap at it.
Hated the lads who were good at it.

Harrumph!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

subuteo on 01:19 - Apr 2 with 1649 viewsozexile

subuteo on 23:13 - Apr 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Loved it.
Was crap at it.
Hated the lads who were good at it.

Harrumph!

I can't remember the rules. How did you get the ball back?
subuteo on 08:47 - Apr 2 with 1581 viewsR_from_afar

subuteo on 01:19 - Apr 2 by ozexile

I can't remember the rules. How did you get the ball back?

As I recall, apart from the concession of set pieces, when the ball touched one of your players or when your opponent's flick failed to connect with the ball.

When I was young, my friends and I never did any of the blocking flicks as I recall, I only realised that was allowed when I was much older. That might be because I didn't buy a set, or "edition" as they were called, I just scraped together enough funds from my pocket money and winnings from playing the arcades on holiday to get two teams, two goals and a ball. I first played it on my nan's dining room floor, with her carpet as the pitch. Luckily, the yellow and black material incorporated a heavy pattern with lots of bold lines, so I had some makeshift touchlines.

The game originally came with instructions on how to mark out a correctly sized pitch on an old army blanket.

The throw-in figures were weird, they could project the ball the equivalent of about three quarters of a mile and with more side spin than even Chester Barnes (RIP) could impart.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

subuteo on 09:24 - Apr 2 with 1547 viewswood_hoop

I has this instead of Subbeto, a much cheaper version,like tiddly winks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024