Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marrakech 08:51 - Apr 10 with 5530 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Long shot, but this board has never failed us yet!

Going with a few friends to climb Toubkal in mid-May and will be staying on for a few days to explore the Town and places around.

Any recs on accommodation?
Or things to see?

Thanks as ever.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Marrakech on 09:02 - Apr 10 with 4103 viewsdistortR

Mate, it's shit.

Never been there, don't go anywhere, and I'm extremely jealous. Presumably, to get there, you'll go past the IOM..................I'll pack my bag, just in case.
Marrakech on 09:10 - Apr 10 with 4084 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Marrakech on 09:02 - Apr 10 by distortR

Mate, it's shit.

Never been there, don't go anywhere, and I'm extremely jealous. Presumably, to get there, you'll go past the IOM..................I'll pack my bag, just in case.

We'll need a guide. Someone fluent in Manx Gaelic.

Marrakech on 09:14 - Apr 10 with 4071 viewsdistortR

Marrakech on 09:10 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

We'll need a guide. Someone fluent in Manx Gaelic.

of course, the lost tribe of Mann are up there.
Yeah, I can do Manx Gaelic.
Give me a vowel, Carole.....and a vowel, please.....i'll have another vowel...........
I'll take them an offering of the national dish - chips, cheese 'n gravy.
Marrakech on 09:37 - Apr 10 with 3993 viewsthompsonridd

It's a fabulous City.

Try to visit Hotel Mamounia, very expensive to stay but it's famous for it's lunchtime club sandwiches and cocktails. Stunning hotel grounds and take your swimming gear, the pool is great too.

Obviously visit a local restaurant for a tagine.

Have a great trip
Marrakech on 09:49 - Apr 10 with 3946 viewsDannyPaddox

Was in Marrakech around 10 years ago. Loved the place. Did a few trips out to the mountains too. Was in the town square Jemaa el-Fna on a Friday evening and it was phenomenal. It’s a big open square. In one part there was a fair vibe with loads of food stalls but the best bit was people turning up (I was told they came down from the mountains) and playing music. Loads of different groups of musicians. Laying a carpet out and banging out that hypnotic drum and pipe stuff. Being a massive fan of Morrocan music - especially the Gnawa stuff helped. All this is free, people just doing it because they love it. Naturally I put money in the hat which sometimes came around. It would have been rude not too especially as I made a few field recordings (that still survive somewhere on an old phone) All of this was without hardly any artificial light. I seem to remember people would just set up a fire or a flaming torch. Altogether a fantastic vibe.

On a practical note a local guy said to me if you’re offered something always barter toward 25% of the original price. The seller will still make a profit. They aim high in case you’re a super rich German, American, or Russian etc. This advice stood me in good stead buying some geological specimens and clothes.

Have a great time Brian. Are you climbing with ropes or walking/ scrambling up the mountains? Sounds a hoot either way.
Marrakech on 09:55 - Apr 10 with 3937 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Marrakech on 09:37 - Apr 10 by thompsonridd

It's a fabulous City.

Try to visit Hotel Mamounia, very expensive to stay but it's famous for it's lunchtime club sandwiches and cocktails. Stunning hotel grounds and take your swimming gear, the pool is great too.

Have a great trip

Thanks thompsonridd. That place looks unreal! Bit too pricey for me alright, but maybe a cup o' tea.

Marrakech on 09:57 - Apr 10 with 3929 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Marrakech on 09:49 - Apr 10 by DannyPaddox

Was in Marrakech around 10 years ago. Loved the place. Did a few trips out to the mountains too. Was in the town square Jemaa el-Fna on a Friday evening and it was phenomenal. It’s a big open square. In one part there was a fair vibe with loads of food stalls but the best bit was people turning up (I was told they came down from the mountains) and playing music. Loads of different groups of musicians. Laying a carpet out and banging out that hypnotic drum and pipe stuff. Being a massive fan of Morrocan music - especially the Gnawa stuff helped. All this is free, people just doing it because they love it. Naturally I put money in the hat which sometimes came around. It would have been rude not too especially as I made a few field recordings (that still survive somewhere on an old phone) All of this was without hardly any artificial light. I seem to remember people would just set up a fire or a flaming torch. Altogether a fantastic vibe.

On a practical note a local guy said to me if you’re offered something always barter toward 25% of the original price. The seller will still make a profit. They aim high in case you’re a super rich German, American, or Russian etc. This advice stood me in good stead buying some geological specimens and clothes.

Have a great time Brian. Are you climbing with ropes or walking/ scrambling up the mountains? Sounds a hoot either way.

Great info, thanks a million Danny.

Just hiking, I'm told. All done in one weekend.

Marrakech on 10:18 - Apr 10 with 3894 viewsozranger

The missus has been a few years ago over Christmas.

She recommends to go to markets (Marrakech Medina) and definitely head to the Jardin Majorelle which has spectacular blue coloured buildings and gardens.

Just beware of pick-pockets at the Medina. Also beware of the scams of taking pics of the snake charmers as they will force you to pay for that privilege. Also negotiate everywhere in the markets.

Also she recommends a day trip to the Port of Essaouira which is quite spectacular and is quite close to Marrakech.

Oh, and if you go to Fez, beware of the uber.
Login to get fewer ads

Marrakech on 10:20 - Apr 10 with 3890 viewseghamranger

I went there in November 2019. Was golfing there for a week. Didn’t see too much of this city as played golf everyday. Some superb views and they were really trying to get the golf to take off. The courses were fantastic and the hospitality great. It will be really warm in May.
We stayed in a Riu hotel , and they are standard touristy places.
Not many English type bars as I seem to recall, more Shish places.
Would certainly return to spend time there. Enjoy
Marrakech on 14:00 - Apr 10 with 3658 viewsBoston

Your timing for the trip is fine, it's better to visit the place outside of Ramadan.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Marrakech on 14:02 - Apr 10 with 3658 viewsRBlock

Marrakech on 09:37 - Apr 10 by thompsonridd

It's a fabulous City.

Have a great trip

This was going to be my recommendation! The Hotel Mamounia grounds are incredible. Pristinely looked after, turtles swimming around the ponds, not a blade of grass out of place.

Nomad restaurant has amazing views if you can get a table over sunset.
Marrakech on 14:06 - Apr 10 with 3652 viewsBoston

Marrakech on 10:18 - Apr 10 by ozranger

The missus has been a few years ago over Christmas.

She recommends to go to markets (Marrakech Medina) and definitely head to the Jardin Majorelle which has spectacular blue coloured buildings and gardens.

Just beware of pick-pockets at the Medina. Also beware of the scams of taking pics of the snake charmers as they will force you to pay for that privilege. Also negotiate everywhere in the markets.

Also she recommends a day trip to the Port of Essaouira which is quite spectacular and is quite close to Marrakech.

Oh, and if you go to Fez, beware of the uber.

I couldn't recommend a Christmas day trip to Ellesmere Port more highly.

Marrakech on 15:32 - Apr 10 with 3573 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Cascade D'Ouzod is a lovely peaceful day trip out to a stunning waterfall, especially if its hot!
Love Marrakech, but I adore the very windy Essaouira, on the coast, not too far away. More relaxed sort of place.
Middle of Marrakech is of course the fantastic food market in the evenings. Fresh orange juice everywhere delicious.
And visit a hammam and get royally and vigorously and viciously cleaned.

Bare bones.

Marrakech on 16:34 - Apr 10 with 3525 viewsMyke

Incredible City Brian. Remided me of Bankok in terms of vibrancy heat and chaos! Two things I recommend you DON'T do is eat anything that had been hanging outdoors for any period of time (like pigs trotters for example which will give you the trotters) or take a horse and carriage ride unless you have about 4 hours to spare! Enjoy!!
Marrakech on 21:07 - Apr 10 with 3353 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Loved it, a bit touristy in parts but you can avoid.

For the life of me I can’t recall the name of the beautiful riad we stayed at, but one of the rare times I took a guide around the souq/kasbah and worth it as we’d have missed a lot. The riad arranged it.

Some cracking bars/restaurants but do your research as some were poor. If you like spices, good place to stock up
[Post edited 10 Apr 2022 21:09]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Marrakech on 01:35 - Apr 11 with 3240 viewsBoston

...and of course, while you're there, you shall be endorsing the politics of a country where homosexuality is illegal and the stoning to death of such, while not on the books, happens on a regular basis. Then there's the added bonus, for some, of an occupation of a neighbouring country where the dirt-poor inhabitants are machine gunned down because they're of a darker skin tone.
Look forward to your post card.

Marrakech on 07:19 - Apr 11 with 3164 viewsRed_Ranger

Hotel Jardins de Kouboutia.

Location, value, all round good one IMHO
Marrakech on 07:44 - Apr 11 with 3133 viewsdistortR

Marrakech on 01:35 - Apr 11 by Boston

...and of course, while you're there, you shall be endorsing the politics of a country where homosexuality is illegal and the stoning to death of such, while not on the books, happens on a regular basis. Then there's the added bonus, for some, of an occupation of a neighbouring country where the dirt-poor inhabitants are machine gunned down because they're of a darker skin tone.

From someone who lives in America???!

Don't look south.......................
Marrakech on 08:33 - Apr 11 with 3103 viewsBlackCrowe

The food in Marrakech is unworldly, amazing food amazing restaurants at all price ranges. Splurge for dinner at Le Foundouk (ensure you book an outside rooftop table).

Stay in a riad within the medina. I stayed here a few years ago...it was fab
http://www.riyad-al-moussika.com/home.html

If time allows, jump on a 2.5 hour bus ride to the coast to Essaouira and spend a night or two - amazing seaside town with enless beaches (much surfing action).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Marrakech on 09:29 - Apr 11 with 3060 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Marrakech on 01:35 - Apr 11 by Boston

Fair points.

Marrakech on 09:31 - Apr 11 with 3048 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Marrakech on 07:44 - Apr 11 by distortR

From someone who lives in America???!

Don't look south.......................

Also, a fair point.

Marrakech on 09:57 - Apr 11 with 3015 viewsBklynRanger

We stayed here in March 2020. Was really nice:

https://www.riad-maud-marrakech.org

We then went up into the mountains and were due to start a hike of the Jebel Saro for 6 days. Woke up the morning of it, pissing rain, with the trip orgainiser trying to get in touch to tell us Morocco was closing its border over Covid and we had to get out. So we ended up staying 3 more nights at another place in Marrakech. Not quite as nice tbh but the owner was a lovely bloke and very good about us not knowing how long we'd be there. (Couldn't get a flight at first).

Anyway, I digress! - Marrakech is great but those mountains are fcuking beautiful - been twice - will be a great trip I'm sure. Not that far at all from London but such a totally different world, and the people are lovely. Get yourself in a hamam afterwards.

Also if you want to take a bit of booze up for the evenings it's very easy to get the guide to stop at the supermarket on the way out of town - you may already have that sorted of course. Enjoy it.
Marrakech on 10:49 - Apr 12 with 2806 viewsGloryHunter

Marrakech on 09:57 - Apr 11 by BklynRanger

We stayed here in March 2020. Was really nice:

https://www.riad-maud-marrakech.org

We then went up into the mountains and were due to start a hike of the Jebel Saro for 6 days. Woke up the morning of it, pissing rain, with the trip orgainiser trying to get in touch to tell us Morocco was closing its border over Covid and we had to get out. So we ended up staying 3 more nights at another place in Marrakech. Not quite as nice tbh but the owner was a lovely bloke and very good about us not knowing how long we'd be there. (Couldn't get a flight at first).

Anyway, I digress! - Marrakech is great but those mountains are fcuking beautiful - been twice - will be a great trip I'm sure. Not that far at all from London but such a totally different world, and the people are lovely. Get yourself in a hamam afterwards.

Also if you want to take a bit of booze up for the evenings it's very easy to get the guide to stop at the supermarket on the way out of town - you may already have that sorted of course. Enjoy it.

Stayed in Marrakech for a good few months in the early 1980s. I remember once in jemaa el fnaa square seeing a big crowd gathered around a bloke with a chair. When I'd muscled my way to the front I found he was pulling out people's rotten teeth.
Marrakech on 14:12 - May 5 with 2423 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the help. We're off next Friday and staying for 6 days and then getting the train and ferry up to Spain do a week of the Camino.

Boston - thanks to you too, sincerely. I was aware of the Western Sahara conflict vaguely but had forgotten it and the rest of your post was news to me. Once I read up more on it all, I really did consider cancelling. I may regret not doing so. I'll report back.

Thanks everyone.

Marrakech on 21:53 - May 5 with 2155 viewsblavod

Try a roof top restaurant/bar looking over the Medina at sunset, there are loads to choose from. Also Ives Saint Laurent house and garden is 10 mins by taxi from the centre if you like a bit of colour. https://www.jardinmajorelle.com/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024