Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky Glass 23:36 - Jun 21 with 4384 viewsstowmarketrange

I phoned up Sky to reduce my package today and they persuaded to plump for Sky Glass at a cheaper rate than I was paying for the whole lot before.
Has anyone else got it yet,or have I been conned into getting something they can only give away for free?
Sky Glass on 23:54 - Jun 21 with 4301 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I'd be very careful buying anything new at the moment unless you're really unhappy with what you've got.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Sky Glass on 04:42 - Jun 22 with 4138 viewsenfieldargh

Sky Glass on 23:54 - Jun 21 by CliveWilsonSaid

I'd be very careful buying anything new at the moment unless you're really unhappy with what you've got.

I wanted to drop sky sports and a few other add ons so I just had basic tv package

I also have phone and broadband which I claim back as biz expense

So they reduced the amount I’m paying by around 35% in total but I kept the sport and box sets and hd plus they gave me movies too!!

They keep badgering me to have sky q but they insist on drilling screw holes into my wall so they can attach ladders to reach my dish as I ordered actually talked into it once before and the engineers refused to go high without health and safety measures in place

Caused all sorts of billing issues which too long winded to go into however I got 2 months free for the balks up it caused

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Sky Glass on 07:54 - Jun 22 with 3869 viewsHAYESBOY

With Sky Glass obviously no need for a dish, but there is no recording facility or hard drive.
Staying with SKY Q for the moment.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Sky Glass on 07:58 - Jun 22 with 3845 viewsdaveB

Sky Glass on 07:54 - Jun 22 by HAYESBOY

With Sky Glass obviously no need for a dish, but there is no recording facility or hard drive.
Staying with SKY Q for the moment.

you can record to the cloud on Sky Glass
Sky Glass on 08:11 - Jun 22 with 3804 viewsToast_R

I've been thinking of getting Sky Glass. Seems they're offering up a reasonably good deal on it. I bought a new Philips Ambilight UHD TV end of 2020 and I'm not that happy with it. It was fine until last season began and then Sky Sports seemed to have changed their UHD Broadcasting method to HDR and my TV can't handle it too well so the UHD Picture seems really dark and off colour. I've tried faffing about with it multiple times but there isn't a solution other than going for a more expensive UHD set.

Do tell us whats its like won't you?

I did also repackage my Sky sub earlier this year. Finally had Open Reach install fast broadband in my area so I can now have all my services under Sky which works out cheaper. The big bonus is I never have to deal with the abomination of a company that is Virgin Media ever again.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 8:13]
Sky Glass on 08:44 - Jun 22 with 3680 viewsLblock

I’m abouts to sack off Sky Broadband as they’re putting mine up to £38 whilst there’s deals out there for better speeds at £22 a month (relative speaking after offers)

Been with Sky for everything for nearly 16 years now
I detest them but they’re my only option on TV for various reasons.

One day soon I’ll be able to face contacting them to start the whole dance of reducing my package costs or cancelling phone & broadband plus dropping elements of my TV deal.

In my next gaff I’m going to ensure I have the ability to use BT and virgin as well as Sky

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Sky Glass on 09:04 - Jun 22 with 3609 viewsBlue_Castello

Sky Glass on 08:44 - Jun 22 by Lblock

I’m abouts to sack off Sky Broadband as they’re putting mine up to £38 whilst there’s deals out there for better speeds at £22 a month (relative speaking after offers)

Been with Sky for everything for nearly 16 years now
I detest them but they’re my only option on TV for various reasons.

One day soon I’ll be able to face contacting them to start the whole dance of reducing my package costs or cancelling phone & broadband plus dropping elements of my TV deal.

In my next gaff I’m going to ensure I have the ability to use BT and virgin as well as Sky

If you've been with Sky for a long time you are a Sky VIP customer and should get offered better deals, the thing you have to do is phone them up, they leave people paying standard charges and you only get the best deals if you phone then, it's part of customer retention, ie if you have to say you are thinking of switching to BT.

I phoned them up about three months ago because our monthly charge for everything had increased to £61, we have the basic TV package, and fast fibre Broadband, no phone calls as we only use our mobiles. I spoke with a very helpful Asian girl, I don't know if the call centre is in Asia or the UK, after explaining my situation and saying I had seen advertised a package of Sky Q with Broadband at £39 a month for new customers, existing customers must contact the support desk.
She went away and checked what she could offer and we got the Sky box upgraded from HD to Q and the Fibre Broadband for £39.00 on an 18 month contract, it's what I was angling for as its the second time I've phoned them to get my bill reduced and it worked the first time.

As far as Sky Glass is concerned surely the biggest expense is you have to upgrade your TV at a cost of £500 plus I'm not sure the minimum cost as I've not done the research, they are offering a cheap introductory offer at the moment, what does that increase to after 18 months....
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 9:07]
Sky Glass on 09:49 - Jun 22 with 3422 viewssdm1508

I got sky glass recently. Good and bad points. Nice not to have the dish anymore and very easy to set up. Improvements through updates come through. Navigating the menu a bit knew and really you just need to get your head around its a streaming tv. You can record and store to the cloud but the whole principle a bit different to Sky Q. It's not really a smart tv and you can't bluetooth anything to it.

If your internet goes down then no TV. I have it hard wired to my router and occasionally get error messages but a reboot of the router seems to fix it. The built in Dolby Atmos was very good but then just last week noticed a crackle coming from. Used my old sound bar. If you go down this route you need a HDMI 2.1 eARC cable rather than the standard HDMI cable. Sadly also you have to use the soundbar remote to adjust the sound level rather than TV remote. Not a game changer for me. Worth remembering too that if you move away from Sky then you need a new TV to replace the Sky Glass.

On the whole though I am happy with it. You will read some stories about people having to replace it multiple times and then going back to Q but at the same time people who are happy with it
Login to get fewer ads

Sky Glass on 09:57 - Jun 22 with 3383 viewsLblock

Sky Glass on 09:04 - Jun 22 by Blue_Castello

If you've been with Sky for a long time you are a Sky VIP customer and should get offered better deals, the thing you have to do is phone them up, they leave people paying standard charges and you only get the best deals if you phone then, it's part of customer retention, ie if you have to say you are thinking of switching to BT.

I phoned them up about three months ago because our monthly charge for everything had increased to £61, we have the basic TV package, and fast fibre Broadband, no phone calls as we only use our mobiles. I spoke with a very helpful Asian girl, I don't know if the call centre is in Asia or the UK, after explaining my situation and saying I had seen advertised a package of Sky Q with Broadband at £39 a month for new customers, existing customers must contact the support desk.
She went away and checked what she could offer and we got the Sky box upgraded from HD to Q and the Fibre Broadband for £39.00 on an 18 month contract, it's what I was angling for as its the second time I've phoned them to get my bill reduced and it worked the first time.

As far as Sky Glass is concerned surely the biggest expense is you have to upgrade your TV at a cost of £500 plus I'm not sure the minimum cost as I've not done the research, they are offering a cheap introductory offer at the moment, what does that increase to after 18 months....

Yeah I got all that flannel couple of years ago.

After a long conversation with three different call handlers in which my ear turned into lava, I eventually got my monthly cost reduced by the princely sum of £2 a month.
Then 3 months later they increased things so I was paying £3 more - kicked off on that and got a huge £1 a month discount.

This time I think I’ll just cancel Sky bband and calls and go with Vodafone or someone.
Reluctantly I need to stay with Sky for TV as I’m not aware of any other provider who can rival the Q offering with 2 mini boxes with multi room.
I simply don’t / can’t run wires from a main box connected to a dish to the other rooms where TV is needed. The WiFi offering the Q system gives is spot on, just the monthly costs they’re stiffing me for starting to really hurt

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Sky Glass on 10:29 - Jun 22 with 3281 viewsAntti_Heinola

did the same. my bill was enormous, but I'm VIP apparently. Got an upgrade and 60% off my costs.

Bare bones.

Sky Glass on 10:36 - Jun 22 with 3262 viewsdaveB

it's mad that you have to threaten to leave before they give you a deal although they probably rely on idiots like me who don't ring up and pay a daft amount each month
Sky Glass on 10:54 - Jun 22 with 3207 viewsstevec

The only reason I’ve stayed loyal to Sky is the red button giving access to QPR midweek away games specifically.

Seems a bit mad I know but does anyone know any better or cheaper options as I’m not fully up with alternatives. Not sure whether NOW tv accesses red button games.
Sky Glass on 11:15 - Jun 22 with 3155 viewsdaveB

Sky Glass on 10:54 - Jun 22 by stevec

The only reason I’ve stayed loyal to Sky is the red button giving access to QPR midweek away games specifically.

Seems a bit mad I know but does anyone know any better or cheaper options as I’m not fully up with alternatives. Not sure whether NOW tv accesses red button games.

You can pay a tenner to QPR and watch the midweek games as long as they are not on Sky, I think Millwall was the only club last season who wouldn't allow that for an away game.
I don't know if that's a cheaper option or not. I paid for 6 midweek ones last season
Sky Glass on 11:16 - Jun 22 with 3153 viewsA40Bosh

Sky Glass on 10:36 - Jun 22 by daveB

it's mad that you have to threaten to leave before they give you a deal although they probably rely on idiots like me who don't ring up and pay a daft amount each month

Only yesterday I got an email from Virgin Media saying that my current contract discounts were ending and my monthly instalments for Broadband, Phone and TV would be going up from £78 to £108 for my July payment.

This happens every 18mths for the last 10 years and I ring up and ask to be put through to the cancellations department. Each time I suspect that they won't be competitive and they keep giving me deals that are as good as going to individual TV package suppliers like Now TV and Netflix. However this time they have surpassed themselves when i told them i just wanted to keep a 100Mb broadband line, scrap the phone line and the TV packages as I would get my TV accounts elsewhere.

New package:
1Gig Broadband ( I know that there is only so fast Broadband needs to be but I'll take it)
New router
2nd TV box
1st box upgraded to latest version
Max TV
Sky Sports All Channels in HD
BT Sports Ultra HD
Sky Cinema Ultra HD
Netflix (I currently pay £15.99 a month)
Unlimited calls (we don't even need a home phone but will keep it as it wont cost us any more)

All for £79 a month and it means I don't pay Netflix so that is Net £64 a month

Part of the deal means you have to take a separate £25 02 SIM only deal with unlimited everything - which was handy as the Mrs is with O2 and her contract ends in August so they upgraded her iPhone instead and gave her a new contract for £26 a month.

Deals to be had if you put the time in.

I know I could cut the cloth etc to save more money but with two of my adult daughters permanently at home with serious health issues all the time, and as they are now F1 fanatics so there is more reason for me to justify keeping Sky Sports in this time of rising inflation.

Edit: I forgot Sky Cinema HD
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 11:18]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Sky Glass on 11:22 - Jun 22 with 3105 viewsdaveB

Sky Glass on 11:16 - Jun 22 by A40Bosh

Only yesterday I got an email from Virgin Media saying that my current contract discounts were ending and my monthly instalments for Broadband, Phone and TV would be going up from £78 to £108 for my July payment.

This happens every 18mths for the last 10 years and I ring up and ask to be put through to the cancellations department. Each time I suspect that they won't be competitive and they keep giving me deals that are as good as going to individual TV package suppliers like Now TV and Netflix. However this time they have surpassed themselves when i told them i just wanted to keep a 100Mb broadband line, scrap the phone line and the TV packages as I would get my TV accounts elsewhere.

New package:
1Gig Broadband ( I know that there is only so fast Broadband needs to be but I'll take it)
New router
2nd TV box
1st box upgraded to latest version
Max TV
Sky Sports All Channels in HD
BT Sports Ultra HD
Sky Cinema Ultra HD
Netflix (I currently pay £15.99 a month)
Unlimited calls (we don't even need a home phone but will keep it as it wont cost us any more)

All for £79 a month and it means I don't pay Netflix so that is Net £64 a month

Part of the deal means you have to take a separate £25 02 SIM only deal with unlimited everything - which was handy as the Mrs is with O2 and her contract ends in August so they upgraded her iPhone instead and gave her a new contract for £26 a month.

Deals to be had if you put the time in.

I know I could cut the cloth etc to save more money but with two of my adult daughters permanently at home with serious health issues all the time, and as they are now F1 fanatics so there is more reason for me to justify keeping Sky Sports in this time of rising inflation.

Edit: I forgot Sky Cinema HD
[Post edited 22 Jun 2022 11:18]

This is where my anxiety gets the better of me, ridiculous I know but just couldn't do it. not a chance I could pull that off in a phone call, I'd end up paying more by the end of the call and be thanking them
Sky Glass on 12:32 - Jun 22 with 2986 viewsA40Bosh

Sky Glass on 11:22 - Jun 22 by daveB

This is where my anxiety gets the better of me, ridiculous I know but just couldn't do it. not a chance I could pull that off in a phone call, I'd end up paying more by the end of the call and be thanking them

If I am honest DaveB, I didn't have to say a word other than tell her that i wanted to cancel everything but the broadband line and she simply said "before I do that let's see if we can do a deal for you" - She did the rest and all i had to say was "yes, great thanks"

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Sky Glass on 14:13 - Jun 22 with 2762 viewsTheChef

Er indoors was on the phone with Sky earlier, managed to get £25 off our monthly fee. All good till the end of the conversation when they blithely mentioned their 'admin fee' of £30, which she quite rightly had a go at them about. They then oh so kindly brought that down to £20 which they then offset with another monthly discount.

Cheeky bar stewards.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sky Glass on 15:08 - Jun 22 with 2691 viewsMyke

The VIP loyalty bonus is absolutely garbage. 19 years with them. Getting bullshit emails every day about my amazing ViP status and last week they unceremoniously cut me off because I refused to pay a 12 euro surcharge that had accrued due to an error at their end. Don't get .e started, VIP my arse
Sky Glass on 15:27 - Jun 22 with 2627 viewsMick_S

Sky Glass on 15:08 - Jun 22 by Myke

The VIP loyalty bonus is absolutely garbage. 19 years with them. Getting bullshit emails every day about my amazing ViP status and last week they unceremoniously cut me off because I refused to pay a 12 euro surcharge that had accrued due to an error at their end. Don't get .e started, VIP my arse

I got a free film after about 20 years’ worth of direct debits. Tried Virgin and almost lost the will to live, so back to Sky feeling dirty and BT internet. Going well, so far. I wouldn’t touch Virgin with someone else’s barge pole.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Sky Glass on 16:04 - Jun 22 with 2544 viewsTheChef

Sky Glass on 15:27 - Jun 22 by Mick_S

I got a free film after about 20 years’ worth of direct debits. Tried Virgin and almost lost the will to live, so back to Sky feeling dirty and BT internet. Going well, so far. I wouldn’t touch Virgin with someone else’s barge pole.

Yeah, better the horned Australian devil you know.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sky Glass on 20:31 - Jun 22 with 2388 viewsOldPedro

Sky Glass on 11:22 - Jun 22 by daveB

I genuinely cancelled a couple of months ago - when they asked why, I just said due to energy bills increasing. I had the full TV package and they offered to knock about 30% off straight away. I said no and they processed the cancellation. About a week later, they rang me and offered an even bigger discount which would have been more than 50% off from the price I had been paying.

It's worth a phone call but would just go straight to cancellations.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Sky Glass on 20:55 - Jun 22 with 2345 viewsR_from_afar

You got a whole free film? You were lucky, we have been Sky customers since 2006 and our VIP gift was only *half* a film. Seriously

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sky Glass on 21:27 - Jun 22 with 2283 viewsQPR_Hibs

Sky Glass on 10:54 - Jun 22 by stevec

Now TV with Sky Sports monthly subscription does have red button games - they show up as "Bonus streams" about 5 minutes before kick off. I have been paying about £25 per month for this package until recently when I cancelled for the summer. I hope to pick up a good deal for next season.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Sky Glass on 22:05 - Jun 22 with 2182 viewsA40Bosh

Its strange that some people hate Virgin Media but having been with them most of the last 15 plus years, I wouldn't move my Broadband away again. About 10 years ago I foolishly went over to BT for 18months and 1 day, after getting a sales call.

Total botch job on the transfer of services, old boy of an engineer rocked up 2 hours late, stinking of booze and told me straight out her was dying with a hangover and couldn't get out of bed, as he had been at the races on his day off. They did not port our existing phone number over and then said they couldn't - which back in the day when Landlines numbers were given out more so than your mobile to utilities etc, caused a right ball ache.

After 2 months with BT I set a calendar reminder in Outlook for the day after the 18th Month contract expired to remind me to ring Virgin and move back. Never use BT again

Sky Glass on 14:02 - Jun 25 with 1745 viewsstowmarketrange

My Sky Glass was delivered yesterday and I made the mistake of telling the delivery men that I would put the stand together myself.It took me over an hour to discover how it all goes together,and I still have 2 screws and 4 spacers left over.
Luckily I only ordered the 55 inch tv or I wouldn’t have been able to lift it on my own to fit it to the stand.
I like the idea of having no box or wires cluttering up the table that it stands on.I’m not confident to think that the walls would take the weight of it,so the table will be it’s home.
It takes a bit of getting used to as it’s different from the Sky Q boxes that we had,but I’m not sure I’d want to pay extra for the system,so only get it if they offer you a deal on it.
I have the Sky Q boxes set up to another tv though as my Mrs has so much sh@t that she has recorded over the last 2 years that she’d be upset if she lost an episode of sewing bee from 2020.

Further reports to come when I get a youngster round to show me what the rest of the buttons do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024