Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wimbledon.. 19:54 - Jun 30 with 7053 viewshubble

..yeah? Meh?

I was a bit meh, until I started watching the Draper v De Minaur match. Draper one set up. It's already epic.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 19:57]
Wimbledon.. on 20:54 - Jun 30 with 3893 viewsDorse

It's a meh from me. But then I'm dead inside since Dom Ball left, so don't take me too seriously.

I'll just return to rocking gently in the corner, wrapped in a threadbare blanket, muttering.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Wimbledon.. on 22:06 - Jun 30 with 3800 viewsqueensparker

Great game. Knackered just watching it.

Draper looks like he’s going to be a household name one day
Wimbledon.. on 22:13 - Jun 30 with 3784 viewsLogman

Agreed. And Wimbledon has done well to address time-wasting with the breaks between points timed. Football, take notice.

Regarding the game, yes Draper looks the part. But credit to de Minaur. Quick, tidy and ruthless. A real Ninja.
Wimbledon.. on 23:53 - Jun 30 with 3682 viewsOakR

Watched it, great game. The Williams match was amazing, so many twists and turns.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Wimbledon.. on 07:05 - Jul 1 with 3569 viewsnix

Wimbledon.. on 22:06 - Jun 30 by queensparker

Great game. Knackered just watching it.

Draper looks like he’s going to be a household name one day

He's got so much talent and an absolutely fantastic attitude. He's been struggling with niggling injuries for the last couple of seasons which has held him back, but he wasn't out of place against Djokovic last Wimbledon and managed to take a set off him (I was there and it was a fab match). He also got into the final of junior Wimbledon when he was 16 (he's now 20). He's got a great coach, who has worked on his core fitness and that seems to have ironed out his injuries (he's also grown a few inches in the last couple of years which doesn't help and is now 6ft 4).

Another match which was absolutely brilliant involved de Minaur's girlfriend Katie Boulter, who beat the number six seed, who's been finalist at Wimbledon in the past. Katie's also struggled with loads of injuries and ME which has held her back, so it's great to see her doing well.

British tennis is in a relatively strong place with some promising youngsters coming through, especially on the women's side, as well as some of the older guys, like Peniston and Broady coming into their own a bit after a long time in the lower levels of the game. There's someone called Hannah Klugman, who's the best 14 year old, in the UK and possibly the world, who has a really bright future if she continues to develop and doesn't get injured.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 7:33]
Wimbledon.. on 08:00 - Jul 1 with 3525 viewsToast_R

Draper certainly looks to have the tools to win it.
Wimbledon.. on 08:19 - Jul 1 with 3508 viewsNed_Kennedys

I went earlier in the week for the first time in decades, a lot bigger and corporate now but still a good day out. You really notice just how hard and fast they hit the ball close up.
Wimbledon.. on 08:47 - Jul 1 with 3474 viewsRs_Holy

Wimbledon.. on 08:00 - Jul 1 by Toast_R

Draper certainly looks to have the tools to win it.

watched the last 2 sets and was impressed with Draper. Agree he has the tools although he will need to add some variety to his game and improve his volleying... he is young tho, so plenty of time.
Login to get fewer ads

Wimbledon.. on 09:08 - Jul 1 with 3444 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I love Wimbledon and tennis in general. Love playing it too.
I will be going on Monday and really looking forward to it. It is a crumpet fest too as a bonus.
Wimbledon.. on 10:14 - Jul 1 with 3364 viewsHantsR

Some great Tennis so far. I enjoyed watching Draper and of course, Katie Boulter.

[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 12:04]
Wimbledon.. on 11:55 - Jul 1 with 3328 viewslosethedrum

Wimbledon.. on 09:08 - Jul 1 by CroydonCaptJack

I love Wimbledon and tennis in general. Love playing it too.
I will be going on Monday and really looking forward to it. It is a crumpet fest too as a bonus.

I also love playing the game , played 3 times last week & twice this week so far .
Live in South Norfolk but play just over the border into silly Suffolk.
At 57 i am slowing down around the court but love being outside in all weathers .
Do you mostly play singles or doubles ?
Wimbledon.. on 12:14 - Jul 1 with 3306 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Wimbledon.. on 11:55 - Jul 1 by losethedrum

I also love playing the game , played 3 times last week & twice this week so far .
Live in South Norfolk but play just over the border into silly Suffolk.
At 57 i am slowing down around the court but love being outside in all weathers .
Do you mostly play singles or doubles ?

Nearly always doubles. My backhand is quite poor so I can get away with that in doubles more and at 58 myself singles is a big ask!
Wimbledon.. on 12:41 - Jul 1 with 3268 viewsjohnhoop

Wimbledon.. on 12:14 - Jul 1 by CroydonCaptJack

Nearly always doubles. My backhand is quite poor so I can get away with that in doubles more and at 58 myself singles is a big ask!

I thought I was maybe pushing it a bit playing into my early seventies but last year I was chatting with the coach at our local club ( who’s a big QPR fan and season ticket holder) and he said see that bloke playing doubles on the court over there? He’s in his late eighties!
[Post edited 1 Jul 2022 12:41]
Wimbledon.. on 12:55 - Jul 1 with 3235 viewsNoelmc

I'm 62 and play wheelchair tennis 2-3 times week, so it's mainly doubles for me too.

I was at the Draper match yesterday and sitting near to his mum, who I know from 30 odd years ago when we ran some some wheelchair tennis sessions at a Portsmouth tennis centre where she was the manager. I spoke to her briefly and she is obviously very proud of Jack. He played very well last night, against a tough opponent who finally wore him down. However on that showing at just 20, I think he has a big future ahead of him in the sport.
Wimbledon.. on 14:05 - Jul 1 with 3140 viewsR_from_afar

Wimbledon.. on 20:54 - Jun 30 by Dorse

It's a meh from me. But then I'm dead inside since Dom Ball left, so don't take me too seriously.

I'll just return to rocking gently in the corner, wrapped in a threadbare blanket, muttering.

...but we'll always have the home game against Cardiff

and that time in Italy

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Wimbledon.. on 15:03 - Jul 1 with 3100 viewsderbyhoop

Wimbledon.. on 10:14 - Jul 1 by HantsR

Some great Tennis so far. I enjoyed watching Draper and of course, Katie Boulter.

I'm not sure what you see in her. Must be her tennis ability!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Wimbledon.. on 20:00 - Jul 1 with 2985 viewsDorse

Wimbledon.. on 14:05 - Jul 1 by R_from_afar

...but we'll always have the home game against Cardiff

and that time in Italy

This is me - just with 'Dom Ball' instead of 'Ja Ja Ding Dong'. So close it's scary.

'It will never be enough!!'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Wimbledon.. on 21:53 - Jul 1 with 2904 viewshubble

Meanwhile, back to the tennis... one player: Alcaraz. Wow. 19. Scarily good. Great to watch as well. Could he do it this year? I think he will meet Djokovic in the semi final if he keeps winning.
Wimbledon.. on 21:58 - Jul 1 with 2884 viewsnix

Wimbledon.. on 21:53 - Jul 1 by hubble

Meanwhile, back to the tennis... one player: Alcaraz. Wow. 19. Scarily good. Great to watch as well. Could he do it this year? I think he will meet Djokovic in the semi final if he keeps winning.

That'll be an interesting one. Alcatraz is less likely to be overawed by the Djokovic reputation.
Wimbledon.. on 22:20 - Jul 1 with 2866 viewsLblock

Wimbledon.. on 10:14 - Jul 1 by HantsR

Love

Deuce

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Wimbledon.. on 22:30 - Jul 1 with 2861 viewsted_hendrix

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Wimbledon.. on 23:59 - Jul 1 with 2797 viewskensalriser

Wimbledon.. on 21:58 - Jul 1 by nix

That'll be an interesting one. Alcatraz is less likely to be overawed by the Djokovic reputation.

Novaxx is going to find it tough to escape this one.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Wimbledon.. on 04:10 - Jul 2 with 2723 viewsnix

Wimbledon.. on 23:59 - Jul 1 by kensalriser

Novaxx is going to find it tough to escape this one.

Oh no, I hope I haven't started a pun thread! Blooming corrective text!
[Post edited 2 Jul 2022 4:10]
Wimbledon.. on 05:58 - Jul 2 with 2694 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I struggle to get really excited by any sport where the spectators are told to keep quiet.

Imagine the response and what football would be like if you couldn’t start until the ref had said: ‘Quiet please. Rangers lead by one goal to nil. Play’ or, we were reduced to ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’. The game of tennis itself can be a brilliant to watch; I just think it would be more so if the fans could participate more.

However, having worked at Wimbledon for three years as a student in the 80s, I’m reminded annually of a comment made by someone: everything that’s wrong about Britain is on show for two weeks a year in SW19.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Wimbledon.. on 07:49 - Jul 2 with 2650 viewsstevec

Wimbledon.. on 05:58 - Jul 2 by PlanetHonneywood

I struggle to get really excited by any sport where the spectators are told to keep quiet.

Imagine the response and what football would be like if you couldn’t start until the ref had said: ‘Quiet please. Rangers lead by one goal to nil. Play’ or, we were reduced to ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’. The game of tennis itself can be a brilliant to watch; I just think it would be more so if the fans could participate more.

However, having worked at Wimbledon for three years as a student in the 80s, I’m reminded annually of a comment made by someone: everything that’s wrong about Britain is on show for two weeks a year in SW19.

You should have been in the stands in the JFH era.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024