Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC 100th anniversary 07:54 - Jul 29 with 5054 views222gers

Christ that went quick !
The government, especially the forgotten but not gone Boris, have had it in for the Beeb for years now, and I wouldn't join that hostility. However, I hate the way the corporation has dumbed down in order to compete with commercial channels. Not being a snob really but I'd like the BBC to focus on more serious and artistic content.
Anyone else ?
BBC 100th anniversary on 13:26 - Jul 29 with 1635 viewsNorthernr

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:25 - Jul 29 by Nushnool

In terms of the BBC news (which I consume online, not sure about radio or TV), I haven't noticed the coverage being excessively politically left or right, so I agree with those who think it's probably somewhere between the two, i.e. annoying the extremes of both sides. The biggest problems I have with it are:
1) Dumbing down of the news
2) Americanisation of the news

But neither of those things are unique to the BBC though, it seems to be ubiquitous across UK news outlets.

Totally agree. See my post on declining journalism standards in this country last week for why I think that's happened.
BBC 100th anniversary on 13:41 - Jul 29 with 1563 viewsSheffieldHoop

So a bit like the NHS then. Envy of the world in many cases, and a complete shitshow in many others.

I think the decline of the BBC had set in quite a few years before Tim Davie was appointed, but would agree he's not done anything to reverse it

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:45 - Jul 29 with 1564 viewsNorthernr

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:41 - Jul 29 by SheffieldHoop

So a bit like the NHS then. Envy of the world in many cases, and a complete shitshow in many others.

I think the decline of the BBC had set in quite a few years before Tim Davie was appointed, but would agree he's not done anything to reverse it

Previous DG was dire as well. I'm actually trying to remember back to the last person I really rated in one of the top jobs there. Maybe Jay Hunt, bit crackers but very good. I mean compared to Alex Mahon who's CEO at Channel 4 the BBC top brass are a million miles short. This is why they keep embroiling themselves in crap like the Saville scandal, the Bashir scandal. It's massively over staffed, waaaaay too densely populated and complex, and the people who rise to the top and run the BBC tend to be fcking crap.
BBC 100th anniversary on 13:49 - Jul 29 with 1528 viewsSheffieldHoop

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:45 - Jul 29 by Northernr

Previous DG was dire as well. I'm actually trying to remember back to the last person I really rated in one of the top jobs there. Maybe Jay Hunt, bit crackers but very good. I mean compared to Alex Mahon who's CEO at Channel 4 the BBC top brass are a million miles short. This is why they keep embroiling themselves in crap like the Saville scandal, the Bashir scandal. It's massively over staffed, waaaaay too densely populated and complex, and the people who rise to the top and run the BBC tend to be fcking crap.

Sounds ripe for privatisation then

Edit - In answer to the Q. Probably Greg Dyke ?
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 13:52]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:53 - Jul 29 with 1534 viewsKonk

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:12 - Jul 29 by Northernr

I could do another 30,000 word post on my frustrations with the BBC.

Firstly, when it talks about short of funding etc, it is grossly, grossly overstaffed. You do not need to be spending this much money and this many people. Obviously Linekar et al grab the headlines but the real problem/scandal is lower down. This, for instance, is their publicity/PR staff. Not their commissioners, talent, producers, sales execs etc. Their PRs...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/contacts/a-z/

I did an interview with the head of factual at the BBC when she got the job, 30 minute standard slot, first question 'take me through your team...' because my audience needs to know who to pitch to. It took her 23 minutes to name them all. We had to schedule an extra half hour on another date for the actual interview. Channel 5, not a fair comparison really because it's miniscule by comparison but still a linear channel that needs programmes commissioned and publicised etc, runs on a commissioning team of eight. That's their commissioning team. The BBC has 19 PRs whose names begin with J. You cannot justify that when you're spending the public's money.

I think they're allowing themselves to get dragged into this bullsht nonsense about whether they're impartial or not by giving voices to points of view that don't deserve a voice, and are such a tiny minority it's completely ridiculous. They're even on record now saying "if enough people believed in a flat earth we'd have to look at that" which is just insane. Comes back to what I said last year about this modern ideal that there isn't right and wrong any more, it's facts and alternative facts. The BBC has failed multiple times over the last ten years in telling its audience what is the truth and what is a lie, for fear of being beaten up over impartiality. Laura Kuennesberg was a catastrophic political correspondent because she simply saw her job as to parrot whatever line she was given, not interrogate whether that line was actually true. The BBC was set up to entertain, educate and inform. Trying to balance out Question Time by constantly sticking gobshts on there who lie, and then leaving the audience to make their own mind up, is not educating and informing people. I think Tim Davie, who when we talk about the 'woke lefty BBC' is as Tory as they come, is a dreadful choice to be director general and is making a pig's ear of it.

I think they occasionally torch good things, like Five Live, chasing a 'yoof' audience, that's never going to fcking listen to Five Live.

However... it's a brilliant thing. I'm a huge proponent of PSB anyway, I think it's brilliant for society and democracy, countries that don't have it as strong as we do envy it, you got to the US and the television is absolutely fcking shocking, properly shockingly bad. Things like BBC local radio, minority sports coverage, CBeebies, CBBC, all that educational stuff they turned round in 10 minutes when the schools closed during the pandemic... that may not be important to you personally, but it's important to somebody somewhere and that's the role of PSB. I didn't notice ITV, Sky or Netflix chucking out a load of free, quality, educational content for your kids during the school closures did you?

I travel around the world with the television industry and the BBC is revered. You talk about patriotism and being proud of Britain and showing off to the world - the BBC is front and centre of that. It's seen as industry gold standard. They have a showcase once a year in February where buyers from round the world comes to buy their shows and it's an enormous event in the calendar. The natural history stuff is obviously the gold standard, but again there's other stuff that while you may not like it sells around the world instantly - every country has their own version of Strictly, for instance. It's part of a TV industry that brings in £1.5bn a year into our economy through programme exports every year. There's nowhere in the world bar the US anywhere close. Our television is the best in the world, we should celebrate and boast about it, not seek to destroy and handicap it. It's a very successful, very profitable, soft power success story.

You go to Natpe in Budapest or Miami, Mip in France, IDFA, RealScreen, all these industry events, and honest to God nobody there is saying "wouldn't it be great if the BBC was more like Netflix". Nobody. It's only politicians here who idealogicly oppose it. Most other countries look at it and think 'how can our PSB be more like that?'

It's something we should treasure and be proud of. Like our rivers and lakes and coastline, but then we dump our sht on those now as well.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Agree with all of that. It undoubtedly needs to adapt and I can't see the licence model lasting too much longer, but the stuff it does well, it really is exceptional at. You're especially right when it comes to cbeebies/CBBC and all the educational stuff they put out - there really is nothing else like it.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

BBC 100th anniversary on 14:03 - Jul 29 with 1512 viewsLanhoop

Like all large institutions it can't be wall to wall brilliant and it can't make everyone happy with what it does. Expecting that is just naive. It has problems many of which seem to fall out of trying to be impartial and fair to everyone and then reacting to being kicked by some individual or group for not meeting their point of view or standard. The sh1t this government gives it and the way the right wing press proprietors are trying to kill it for their own financial benefit is criminal.

It needs better leadership and in many cases better people. Probably fewer people too, every contact I've had with them has seen a small army turn up when I expected two at the most.

Rather like the NHS, it would be great to rip it up and start again but it's impossible, the damage from losing it would just be too great. We need to protect both these things and encourage improvement with every last breath.
BBC 100th anniversary on 14:40 - Jul 29 with 1460 viewsted_hendrix

BBC 100th anniversary on 10:36 - Jul 29 by Antti_Heinola

Assume you mean the Sex Pistols version?
the problem with the beeb is that it's terrified of the Mail and the Times. Most of their news output is governed by what the Times is saying.
However, as a single broadcasting entity, it's the best the world has ever produced or well ever produce and justifiably the envy of the world. Bizarre to me that we have a government who can't stop droning on about his or that being 'world beating' or 'world leading' when they are patently not, has such such hatred for something we should be proud of. It has plenty of faults, but overall it's part of the fabrix of this country. If you can't get £12 worth of entertainment out of everything the beeb produces each month you're probably letting your own prejudices get in the way of having a bit of fun, IMO.

* If you can't get £12 worth of entertainment out of everything the beeb produces each month you're probably letting your own prejudices get in the way of having a bit of fun, IMO.*

I don't have any prejudice's I do have opinions though as per my post.
I can and do have plenty of fun without the need for watching the BBC or any of the other stations.
Got to go now and finish putting up the tent in the garden, It's me birthday tomorrow and we've got the two grandchildren staying overnight (not in the tent) we'll have a good laugh, that's what I call fun.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

BBC 100th anniversary on 15:26 - Jul 29 with 1425 viewswood_hoop

Three minutes of why the BBC should never be let go, warts and all.......

Login to get fewer ads

BBC 100th anniversary on 15:45 - Jul 29 with 1397 viewsderbyhoop

BBC 100th anniversary on 08:10 - Jul 29 by Juzzie

I remember saying this on another thread a while back…… a friend of mind said to me that if leftys think it’s too right and rightys think its too left then maybe, just maybe, it’s neither.

People just focus on what they want to see and what fits with their narrative, which is usually focussing on what they don’t like and ignoring (subconsciously probably) what they do like.

I think it’s definitely gone downhill these last couple of decades but up until the millennium it was top notch.

Do they get a card from the Queen?

First bit is spot on.

Desperately plugging the few sports they can still afford is a downer.
And they do, sometimes, reduce themselves to ITV2 levels, interspersed with decent news coverage and some sparkling dramas.

More and more they are going to have to compete with pay to view channels like Sky, Netflix, Apple TV

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

BBC 100th anniversary on 18:00 - Jul 29 with 1284 viewsBoston

I had reservations about the BBC in my youth, I still have them today. The imposition of a fee to watch something, even if you don't watch it, speaks volumes. As for the Murdoch / BBC viewpoint, no, not one I hold. To me they are children of the same family, their petty differences of little concern at the 'globalist' end of the day. That said, they have produced wonderful entertaining shows, though I've missed most of them as I rarely have nothing better to do.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

BBC 100th anniversary on 18:15 - Jul 29 with 1263 viewseastside_r

BBC 100th anniversary on 09:39 - Jul 29 by francisbowles

Sorry Lblock, PMS?

Pre-Menstrual Stress?
BBC 100th anniversary on 19:38 - Jul 29 with 1164 viewsPaddyhoops

Apparently it costs a pittance per day to watch it.
My seventeen year old daughter has no interest in it or any other TV for that matter.
It’s not as good as it used be but programmes like the dramas Time and peaky blinders are superb.
I’m with you on the yoovicaton of 5 live which is bizarre.
There’s only so many times I can put up with Nihal Arthaniky calling everyone bruv.
With Steve wright going now I have the bleak prospect of listening to Scott Mills as an alternative to Arthaniky.
I don’t do ads so Talk Bolox is no go!!
Keep the beeb though. Value wise it’s superb!
BBC 100th anniversary on 22:32 - Jul 29 with 1058 viewsPlanetHonneywood

BBC 100th anniversary on 13:49 - Jul 29 by SheffieldHoop

Sounds ripe for privatisation then

Edit - In answer to the Q. Probably Greg Dyke ?
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 13:52]

I used to work for ITV way back when, and the day it all changed can be traced back to win ‘Death on the Rock’ was aired. Thatcher apparently went ballistic and the next thing we know, we’re all bidding for franchises.

The BBC’s date with destiny can be traced back to the whole Andrew Gilligan/Dr. Kelly affair. It’s been under attack ever since, with a series of wibbly-Wobblies at the helm.

Totally agree about Greg Dyke. Made the scapegoat by the Hutton Report for the illegality of those in higher office.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

BBC 100th anniversary on 22:52 - Jul 29 with 1041 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've told this story before but about 12 years ago one summer four of us were having a drink on the terrace of the bar at TVC overlooking the park and Loftus Road.

Me, my girlfriend at the time, a producer and a fairly well known presenter.

We joked that this was the most right wing gathering TVC had ever seen, it was said in a jovial context as no one was a labour voter and was totally tongue in cheek but the perception was there.

On saying that a lot of Labour voters think they favour the tories.

In the 12 years hence I've decided I don't like either and am becoming very apathetic.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

BBC 100th anniversary on 23:40 - Jul 29 with 999 viewscharmr

I think the reason why I seem to know about a lot of stuff is down too growing up in the UK and being around the BBC. Great philosophy, too entertain, educate and inform.

Now as a resident of the USA it makes you very aware of the differences.

I use a vpn and watch the i player. Generally always something decent for me and the Mrs to watch. She loves The Outlaws. Radio also 6 gets an honorable mention.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 0:27]
BBC 100th anniversary on 12:55 - Jul 30 with 842 viewsQPR_Hibs

BBC 100th anniversary on 23:40 - Jul 29 by charmr

I think the reason why I seem to know about a lot of stuff is down too growing up in the UK and being around the BBC. Great philosophy, too entertain, educate and inform.

Now as a resident of the USA it makes you very aware of the differences.

I use a vpn and watch the i player. Generally always something decent for me and the Mrs to watch. She loves The Outlaws. Radio also 6 gets an honorable mention.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 0:27]

So what do you do when the iplayer asks you if you have a TV licence?

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

BBC 100th anniversary on 20:03 - Jul 30 with 743 viewsDamo1962

BBC 100th anniversary on 08:03 - Jul 29 by Tonto

Dislike the way the Tories attack it for being too lefties. When it isn't. Its pretty independent and should remain so. Just in comparison to the rest of the right wing stuff controlled by Murdoch.

And their natural history programmes are world leading. By a country mile.

No it isn't. It is full of Woke gobshites who push their agenda Ad Nauseum. Cancelled my licence earlier in the year. Defund them now.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 20:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024