Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just Curious 12:38 - Sep 1 with 2991 viewspeejaybee

Where did the word Soccer come from.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Just Curious on 12:39 - Sep 1 with 2982 viewsslmrstid

aSSOCiation Football
Just Curious on 13:32 - Sep 1 with 2848 viewsthompsonridd

Not sure where it's from but I bloody hate it!!!!!
Just Curious on 13:46 - Sep 1 with 2799 viewsKerryE

This is another one of these words that originate from UK, but when the USA starts using it us brits hate it.

Fall is another one that springs to mind.
Just Curious on 13:53 - Sep 1 with 2779 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Just Curious on 13:46 - Sep 1 by KerryE

This is another one of these words that originate from UK, but when the USA starts using it us brits hate it.

Fall is another one that springs to mind.

I suspect its the word used to describe this game in most countries around the globe .
Ireland have Gaelic Football so its been called soccer since the begining of time .USA have American Football so its been called soccer since the begining of time etc.
If that makes some posters cringe so be it bigger things to get angry about IMO
Just Curious on 14:06 - Sep 1 with 2762 viewsSimonJames

Just Curious on 12:39 - Sep 1 by slmrstid

aSSOCiation Football

Yes. Back in the 1880's, so it's said, university types abbreviated rugby football to "rugger" and association football to "soccer".
Eventually, whilst rugby football became known as rugby, association football was simply referred to as football. But by then other countries had already adopted the nickname soccer.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Just Curious on 14:31 - Sep 1 with 2673 viewsSimplyNico

I listened to Price of Football a while ago and they had Stefan Szymanski, professor of sports economics at the University of Michigan on (he is a Brit and wrote the book Soccernomics with Simon Kuper, well worth a read). He wrote this on it -

https://time.com/5335799/soccer-word-origin-england/
[Post edited 1 Sep 2022 14:40]
Just Curious on 15:10 - Sep 1 with 2608 viewsBoston

Just Curious on 13:53 - Sep 1 by CLAREMAN1995

I suspect its the word used to describe this game in most countries around the globe .
Ireland have Gaelic Football so its been called soccer since the begining of time .USA have American Football so its been called soccer since the begining of time etc.
If that makes some posters cringe so be it bigger things to get angry about IMO

Aussie Football.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just Curious on 15:15 - Sep 1 with 2596 viewsBoston

S'funny, lots of terms, measurements etc used in the US are from colonial times. It was Britain that started mucking about changing things.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Just Curious on 16:07 - Sep 1 with 2498 viewskensalriser

Just Curious on 15:15 - Sep 1 by Boston

S'funny, lots of terms, measurements etc used in the US are from colonial times. It was Britain that started mucking about changing things.

It often happens that emigrant communities become fossilised in their ways and culture. Explains quite a lot about the US!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Just Curious on 16:09 - Sep 1 with 2493 viewsMrSheen

Just Curious on 17:33 - Sep 1 with 2381 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Soccer was used in England to describe footy much more recently as recently as the 70's. Re-reading old Rangers match reports on RetroQPR is surprising in that way.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just Curious on 18:04 - Sep 1 with 2330 viewsCiderwithRsie

Just Curious on 17:33 - Sep 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Soccer was used in England to describe footy much more recently as recently as the 70's. Re-reading old Rangers match reports on RetroQPR is surprising in that way.

Not to mention "slamming the leather past the custodian from fifteen yards out".

Which I believe is illegal in several US states.
Just Curious on 22:28 - Sep 1 with 2139 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Its football . End of. Or it would be FISA and EUSA and not FIFA and UEFA!
Just Curious on 22:42 - Sep 1 with 2114 viewsdistortR

Just Curious on 18:04 - Sep 1 by CiderwithRsie

Not to mention "slamming the leather past the custodian from fifteen yards out".

Which I believe is illegal in several US states.

And Preston,curiously.
Just Curious on 22:49 - Sep 1 with 2096 viewsMatch82

I believe it's a clerical error when registering the sport in the USA. When asked what the name was going to be the British ambassador was multitasking and fidgeting with his desk. Unfortunately he shared an office with a man of poor hygiene and the previous day that man had removed his footwear in order to bite his toenails and one of the socks had ended up in the drawer with which the ambassador was now fidgeting.

Hence the ambassadors response: "Sock, ugh"

By coincidence the same ambassador had been in charge of registering another sport around the same time and had again been distracted, this time by a bee landing on a rug in the office.

Hope this helps.
Just Curious on 23:24 - Sep 1 with 2044 viewscharmr

I have a 1969 soccer stars sticker album.

Here in the US it’s always called soccer yet many Major soccer league teams have FC in their name, NYFC, Toronto FC, Charlotte FC, Chicago Fire FC for example. Also some teams have SC in their name such as Nashville SC and Orlando City SC.

Go figure
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024