Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arteta 13:32 - Jan 4 with 5888 viewsMonkey_Roots

I think he is a bit ridiculous, and a petulant, spoilt little brat — top of the table or not.

Discuss.

Arteta on 13:33 - Jan 4 with 3491 viewsNorthernr

Doing a good job though...
Arteta on 13:36 - Jan 4 with 3456 viewsMonkey_Roots

Granted, but he still really really winds me up.
Arteta on 13:39 - Jan 4 with 3436 viewsOakR

I think most of the top managers are like this, gracious in victory, petulant in defeat or when it doesn't go there way.

I'd quite like them to win it this year, and the like the fact the board stayed with him when many would have sdacked him.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Arteta on 13:39 - Jan 4 with 3437 viewsterryb

Arteta on 13:36 - Jan 4 by Monkey_Roots

Granted, but he still really really winds me up.

More than the managers of Tottenham, Liverpool & City do?
Arteta on 13:41 - Jan 4 with 3416 viewstraininvain

Passion and a desire to win. Nothing wrong with that imo. Can see he’s learnt a lot from Guardiola.
Arteta on 13:47 - Jan 4 with 3369 viewsMonkey_Roots

Arteta on 13:39 - Jan 4 by terryb

More than the managers of Tottenham, Liverpool & City do?

Yeah, I know they all do it, but for some reason I find him the most irritating.

Klopp can be like that, but we see more of his confused smile these days.

Pep does have bouts of it, and Conte looks grumpy more than anything.

Arteta is just constantly out of his area, in the 4th officials ear, micro-managing everyone, all the bloody time... he must be knackered!
Arteta on 13:51 - Jan 4 with 3341 viewsHAYESBOY

Doing well, but winds me up with his antics on the touchline.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Arteta on 14:00 - Jan 4 with 3299 viewsjohnhoop

Nowhere near as irritating as Conte and his pathetic whinge after Tottenham’s defeat by villa, that he was short of players and the squad needed strengthening in the transfer window.
If he can’t compete at the top with the squad he’s now got, it’s down to him and nobody else.
Login to get fewer ads

Arteta on 14:39 - Jan 4 with 3176 viewsLoyalitat

Arteta on 13:41 - Jan 4 by traininvain

Passion and a desire to win. Nothing wrong with that imo. Can see he’s learnt a lot from Guardiola.

Passion and desire to win are traits that all managers/coaches have albeit manifested in different ways. However, his conduct on the touchline and towards Eddie Howe was puerile to the extreme. It would have been a scandal if either penalty claim was awarded.

Newcastle did a very good job in containing Arsenal quite comfortably, and sometimes you have to be magnanimous and acknowledge that.
Arteta on 14:46 - Jan 4 with 3140 viewsSirNose

Arteta on 13:33 - Jan 4 by Northernr

Doing a good job though...

This 100%.
Arteta on 14:57 - Jan 4 with 3069 viewsDWQPR

For those who were kids in the 70's has anyone noticed the similarity with Captain Black?

Mikel Arteta

Captain Black

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Arteta on 15:33 - Jan 4 with 2963 viewsNorthernr

I don't particularly like those Amazon docs, but I did watch the Arsenal one through.

The bad thing about Arteta, the thing that annoyed me about him, was he did these weird LinkedIe-style set piece team talks. Like bringing a lightbulb in, making it shine in the middle of the dressing room, asking them what they knew about Thomas Edison and how he created it, and telling them to all go out there and be more like Thomas Edison. I mean, maybe it's just me, but I always find that sort of stuff just laughably cringe when it's tried in any environment, self help books, motivational posters and speakers, people posting sht on linkedin. I just sit there and laugh. How on earth it's meant to have an impact on 22 millionaires in their teens and early 20s I don't know, wouldn't you just sit there and think "the fck is this guy on about"?

The positive, which I think speaks to what winds the OP up actually, is he's obviously a complete football obsessive. He is obsessed with that job and making Arsenal better and improving that team and those players. I think when you're like that, and you're in control, and people do what you say, and you like that control and that power, it's very difficult to stand on a touchline where everything is out of your control and you're now at the mercy of Andy Madley refereeing as he did last night, without losing the plot a little bit.

It's worth a watch, give it a go and see if it changes your opinion or reinforces it.
Arteta on 15:43 - Jan 4 with 2907 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Arteta on 14:00 - Jan 4 by johnhoop

Nowhere near as irritating as Conte and his pathetic whinge after Tottenham’s defeat by villa, that he was short of players and the squad needed strengthening in the transfer window.
If he can’t compete at the top with the squad he’s now got, it’s down to him and nobody else.

Conte sprinting down the entire side everytime Chelsea scored used to annoy me .
Then sure enough he did the same thing at Spurs until he realized they are not qualifying for Europe then demands more money what a tool.
Arteta has the making of a brilliant coach but his behaviour yesterday was pretty pathetic .Eddie Howe came off looking calm and collected until he had enough of the b.s.
Newcastle did act the wan*ers a lot though doing their best PNE and throwin a lot of dirty tackles in so I can see why Arteta was angry .
Just like Haaland in the second time around getting the crap kicked out of him , Arsenal are going to be stopped come hell or high water IMO
Arteta on 15:45 - Jan 4 with 2889 viewsParkRoyalR

If Arteta's Arsenal were to draw Barton's Bristol Rovers in the Cup, now that would be an Amazon doc to tune in for!
Arteta on 15:46 - Jan 4 with 2893 viewsSuperhoop83

Arteta on 15:33 - Jan 4 by Northernr

I don't particularly like those Amazon docs, but I did watch the Arsenal one through.

The bad thing about Arteta, the thing that annoyed me about him, was he did these weird LinkedIe-style set piece team talks. Like bringing a lightbulb in, making it shine in the middle of the dressing room, asking them what they knew about Thomas Edison and how he created it, and telling them to all go out there and be more like Thomas Edison. I mean, maybe it's just me, but I always find that sort of stuff just laughably cringe when it's tried in any environment, self help books, motivational posters and speakers, people posting sht on linkedin. I just sit there and laugh. How on earth it's meant to have an impact on 22 millionaires in their teens and early 20s I don't know, wouldn't you just sit there and think "the fck is this guy on about"?

The positive, which I think speaks to what winds the OP up actually, is he's obviously a complete football obsessive. He is obsessed with that job and making Arsenal better and improving that team and those players. I think when you're like that, and you're in control, and people do what you say, and you like that control and that power, it's very difficult to stand on a touchline where everything is out of your control and you're now at the mercy of Andy Madley refereeing as he did last night, without losing the plot a little bit.

It's worth a watch, give it a go and see if it changes your opinion or reinforces it.

Suffering since 1978.

Arteta on 15:58 - Jan 4 with 2852 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Wow, I need to watch this. I remember that Liverpool documentary a while back when Rodgers was getting loads of stick for his Brentisms. It's such an odd comparison - Thomas Edison was an inventor and they're professional footballers. Maybe Grant Xhaka will end up inventing a new kind of football boot like Craig Johnston did.
Arteta on 16:05 - Jan 4 with 2842 viewsPinnerPaul

On the power and influence thing - Roy Keane admitted the reason he gave up being a manager was that his job and the perception of him relied on how the players performed, therefore, out of his control and he couldn't cope with that.
Arteta on 16:11 - Jan 4 with 2820 viewsJuzzie

When Mark Hughes joined us there was a picture of him in front of his bookshelf and all the books were those kind of w@nkfest sporting motivational types. I just thought there and then "Oh my fking god".
As well as being cringeworthy, exactly as you say.... a bunch of highly paid teens/young adults are just not going to give a schit if anyone espouses that kind of stuff to them. They'll just sit there and think he's a cnt, and he was.
Arteta on 16:18 - Jan 4 with 2806 viewsToast_R

There's nobody better than Mikel Arteta.
I still think Arsenal will have an end of season shit out.
Arteta on 17:05 - Jan 4 with 2718 viewstraininvain

Arteta on 16:18 - Jan 4 by Toast_R

There's nobody better than Mikel Arteta.
I still think Arsenal will have an end of season shit out.

Probably right. They don’t have the squad depth to compete over the course of a season with the likes of City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. Only had to look at their attacking options on the bench last night to see the problem they’ll face over the next few months.

That’s why I can’t blame Arteta for trying to squeeze every advantage he can get as the odds are stacked against them winning the league.
Arteta on 17:06 - Jan 4 with 2704 viewsNorthernr

Arteta on 15:58 - Jan 4 by Wegerles_Stairs

Wow, I need to watch this. I remember that Liverpool documentary a while back when Rodgers was getting loads of stick for his Brentisms. It's such an odd comparison - Thomas Edison was an inventor and they're professional footballers. Maybe Grant Xhaka will end up inventing a new kind of football boot like Craig Johnston did.

Here's the clip...

Arteta on 17:13 - Jan 4 with 2669 viewsAntti_Heinola

That's how I feel too.

But it's interesting. I read something about sports people and religion. It's pretty much been proven that if a sports person truly believes it's God's will for them to succeed then it can push them to new heights. Jonathan Edwards was like that. He truly, truly believed. Then retired and thought, 'actually, that was a load of old bollocks'. But during his career that belief absolutely helped him - whether 'God' is real or not is irrelevant, it's about individual belief.

I think it's the same or similar with self help stuff. You or I just cringes at it and thinks it's nonsense. But if you can espouse it and get people to buy into it - and fine, they're all 20 something and rich but the RIGHT ones salivate for success and glory; that's what's got them where they are anyway - *then* you can see rewards. All the best bosses have that ability to get total buy in from their players, in different ways: Revie, Clough, Fergie, Wenger, Pep, Klopp. And if they don't get total buy in: they ship them out. Arteta has had to be ruthless there. A year ago Piers Morgan was being Piers Morgan mocking Arteta for getting rid of Aubameyang. Now look. You're either with him, or you can fk off.

Bare bones.

Arteta on 17:22 - Jan 4 with 2627 viewsJuzzie

Arteta on 17:13 - Jan 4 by Antti_Heinola

That's how I feel too.

But it's interesting. I read something about sports people and religion. It's pretty much been proven that if a sports person truly believes it's God's will for them to succeed then it can push them to new heights. Jonathan Edwards was like that. He truly, truly believed. Then retired and thought, 'actually, that was a load of old bollocks'. But during his career that belief absolutely helped him - whether 'God' is real or not is irrelevant, it's about individual belief.

I think it's the same or similar with self help stuff. You or I just cringes at it and thinks it's nonsense. But if you can espouse it and get people to buy into it - and fine, they're all 20 something and rich but the RIGHT ones salivate for success and glory; that's what's got them where they are anyway - *then* you can see rewards. All the best bosses have that ability to get total buy in from their players, in different ways: Revie, Clough, Fergie, Wenger, Pep, Klopp. And if they don't get total buy in: they ship them out. Arteta has had to be ruthless there. A year ago Piers Morgan was being Piers Morgan mocking Arteta for getting rid of Aubameyang. Now look. You're either with him, or you can fk off.

problem is clubs can change Manager's every 18 months so players won't know if they're meant to be (2nd) coming, going or sh*tting light bulbs.
Arteta on 17:29 - Jan 4 with 2597 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Arteta on 17:06 - Jan 4 by Northernr

Here's the clip...

Sweet Jesus...

I've done far, far too many sports psychology courses for my own good or sanity, and always found it a delicate and individual oddity.

Done well, it can certainly help an athlete or a team, but so much of it is nonsense, laughable and reminds me of a trainee priest chancing an over-ambitious sermon. "..and d'you know, I've often thought, life is like.."

Far more important than sports psychology is human treatment. Treat the athletes well, make them feel wanted, respected and part of something special and you have a chance. Fail to do that, and the lightbulb won't fool anyone.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Arteta on 17:33 - Jan 4 with 2581 viewsNorthernr

Arteta on 17:29 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Sweet Jesus...

I've done far, far too many sports psychology courses for my own good or sanity, and always found it a delicate and individual oddity.

Done well, it can certainly help an athlete or a team, but so much of it is nonsense, laughable and reminds me of a trainee priest chancing an over-ambitious sermon. "..and d'you know, I've often thought, life is like.."

Far more important than sports psychology is human treatment. Treat the athletes well, make them feel wanted, respected and part of something special and you have a chance. Fail to do that, and the lightbulb won't fool anyone.

Well he's doing something right atm cos they're top.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024