Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fawlty Towers 12:38 - Feb 8 with 4950 viewsSuperhoop83

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64563839

This can't be a good idea...

Suffering since 1978.

Fawlty Towers on 12:42 - Feb 8 with 4361 viewsRs_Holy

anyone who has witnessed the revivals of Open All Hours and Porridge will agree with you Superhoop :(
Fawlty Towers on 12:49 - Feb 8 with 4314 viewsdaveB

oh god no
Fawlty Towers on 12:52 - Feb 8 with 4290 viewssprocket

Fawlty Towers on 12:49 - Feb 8 by daveB

oh god no

Won't end well. Money?
Fawlty Towers on 13:01 - Feb 8 with 4231 viewsHayesender

No Manuel, no Major, and we can't take the pish out of the Germans anymore. It'll be shite

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Fawlty Towers on 13:07 - Feb 8 with 4201 viewsSuperhoop83

Fawlty Towers on 13:01 - Feb 8 by Hayesender

No Manuel, no Major, and we can't take the pish out of the Germans anymore. It'll be shite

Even if it could feature the Major, Manuel and jokes about ze war it would still be shite.

This could be even worse than Mrs Brown's Boys, which is really saying something.

Suffering since 1978.

Fawlty Towers on 13:12 - Feb 8 with 4184 viewsdaveB

Fawlty Towers on 12:52 - Feb 8 by sprocket

Won't end well. Money?

His last divorce was expensive, he's having to do a lot of work to pay for it hence him reinventing himself as an anti woke piers morgan type the last year or so, that kind of thing does pay the bills
Fawlty Towers on 13:37 - Feb 8 with 4096 viewsenfieldargh

I was going to write a stage musical of Fawlty Towers years ago. It would have dovetailed nicely with other plays what I wrote

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Fawlty Towers on 13:38 - Feb 8 with 4087 viewsCamberleyR

Fawlty Towers on 12:42 - Feb 8 by Rs_Holy

anyone who has witnessed the revivals of Open All Hours and Porridge will agree with you Superhoop :(

And that shite remake of Reggie Perrin that Martin Clunes was in.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Fawlty Towers on 14:41 - Feb 8 with 3929 viewsrobith

6 episodes of Cleese saying "you can't say anything these days" while saying anything on national tv no doubt.

hot take - FT is highly regarded cos there's only 12 episodes so it never got the chance to get stale
Fawlty Towers on 14:52 - Feb 8 with 3901 viewsdmm

Just read this thread and find it fascinating that everyone so far thinks the idea is a bad one. I had expected one or two to like it.

It is, of course, doomed to failure as it will be judged entirely on comparisons with the original series and be slated for not being funny, which it almost certainly won't be. In the mid to late 70s the ideas worked well, but they won't today. Fully updating it would mean it won't really be Fawlty Towers.
Fawlty Towers on 14:55 - Feb 8 with 3863 viewsPhildo

We used to laugh at people like Basil Fawlty now we just elect them to high office
Fawlty Towers on 16:04 - Feb 8 with 3680 viewsHAYESBOY

Nope.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Fawlty Towers on 16:09 - Feb 8 with 3659 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Never really a fan, but then I don't like farce or slapstick. Still, the huge talent was clear.

Cleese has mixed some absolute quality work with a Michael Caine-like happiness to turn out nonsense just for the cash, as both have admitted in the past. This could go either way.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Fawlty Towers on 16:17 - Feb 8 with 3642 viewsbosh67

Sounds like a terrible idea. I am sure Camilla has a lot of talent but I know someone she worked for when she started out and the reviews of her work ethic weren't exactly sparkling.

I really hope this doesn't happen and that Flowery Tw@ts is preserved as it should be as a one off two series classic.

Brian - 'Never really a fan, but then I don't like farce or slapstick.' Have you been watching our defending for last (insert as appropriate) seasons?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Fawlty Towers on 16:19 - Feb 8 with 3637 viewsPinnerPaul

Too old and fat to make it a success surely!

I think the BBC should be using "one of their own" to write and star in it!
Fawlty Towers on 17:13 - Feb 8 with 3553 viewsFredManRave

Fawlty Towers on 16:19 - Feb 8 by PinnerPaul

Too old and fat to make it a success surely!

I think the BBC should be using "one of their own" to write and star in it!

You're looking for the"New Signing" thread.

Oh no wait. I've just read your second sentence.

My bad.

As is the idea of Fawlty Towers 2.0
[Post edited 8 Feb 2023 17:14]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Fawlty Towers on 17:22 - Feb 8 with 3525 viewsMick_S

Nathan Jones could do Manuel. Not too far away, is it?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Fawlty Towers on 19:09 - Feb 8 with 3374 viewsNorthantsHoop

Should be left alone and preserved as one of the greatest sit coms.
Fawlty Towers on 20:22 - Feb 8 with 3282 viewsBlackCrowe

There is literally no point to this. a) the script would be PC-strangled to the point of being utterly feeble as with almost all comedy and comedians these days (exception Gervais) and unrecognisable and b) it would never have worked anyway, casting was important as the wonderful scriptwriting

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Fawlty Towers on 14:28 - Feb 10 with 2934 viewsrobith

From yesterday's popbitch

"John Cleese's plan to revive Fawlty Towers got a pretty tepid reception, with fans fearing how he'll adapt Basil Fawlty for the modern era — but he won't be starting from cold. Cleese has been keeping the character alive these last few decades.

Those working in tech support at a particular mobile phone company became very used to dealing with Cleese as he was a regular caller to their helpdesk. He would always begin his calls by saying "Cleese here!", then let rip with a long monologue about how his new-fangled tech had gone wrong, in full Fawlty mode.

The team quickly learned not to try to speak with him while he was venting. The strategy they developed was to put the call on speaker with mute engaged and let him rant away, so that everyone could enjoy it as a character piece. Then, after a few minutes, he'd run out of steam and become perfectly pleasant to deal with. Then they'd take the call as normal."
Fawlty Towers on 17:04 - Feb 10 with 2791 viewsstanistheman

Fawlty Towers on 20:22 - Feb 8 by BlackCrowe

There is literally no point to this. a) the script would be PC-strangled to the point of being utterly feeble as with almost all comedy and comedians these days (exception Gervais) and unrecognisable and b) it would never have worked anyway, casting was important as the wonderful scriptwriting

Have to say I agree.

I can't see the point of making a PC version of this classic (even if it was 70s humour) comedy.

Also, without the splendid cast I can't see how it would even work.

As others have said, updated versions of other 70s and 80s comedies haven't come close to being as funny as the originals.
Fawlty Towers on 17:23 - Feb 10 with 2756 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fawlty Towers on 14:28 - Feb 10 by robith

From yesterday's popbitch

"John Cleese's plan to revive Fawlty Towers got a pretty tepid reception, with fans fearing how he'll adapt Basil Fawlty for the modern era — but he won't be starting from cold. Cleese has been keeping the character alive these last few decades.

Those working in tech support at a particular mobile phone company became very used to dealing with Cleese as he was a regular caller to their helpdesk. He would always begin his calls by saying "Cleese here!", then let rip with a long monologue about how his new-fangled tech had gone wrong, in full Fawlty mode.

The team quickly learned not to try to speak with him while he was venting. The strategy they developed was to put the call on speaker with mute engaged and let him rant away, so that everyone could enjoy it as a character piece. Then, after a few minutes, he'd run out of steam and become perfectly pleasant to deal with. Then they'd take the call as normal."

Brilliant!

He came to Cork City about ten years ago and visitied one of the Universities here, UCC. Across the road is a small barber's shop, and in there was a woman who was a quality comic, mimic and all 'round good skin. I'd say she talked from the moment she rolled out of bed until she hit it again, and she may well have talked through her sleep too.

I was in her chair, anyway, and she was telling me that Cleese had called in.

"I was chattin' to him. Grand lad. Quiet, like. Not a word outta him. But grand. Daycent tip, too, boy"

"Did he say anything at all?" ventured I.

"All he said was, when he was paying was "Do Cork People Have Spare Tongues?
And out the door with him".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Fawlty Towers on 18:09 - Feb 10 with 2701 viewsPinnerPaul

Fawlty Towers on 17:23 - Feb 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Brilliant!

He came to Cork City about ten years ago and visitied one of the Universities here, UCC. Across the road is a small barber's shop, and in there was a woman who was a quality comic, mimic and all 'round good skin. I'd say she talked from the moment she rolled out of bed until she hit it again, and she may well have talked through her sleep too.

I was in her chair, anyway, and she was telling me that Cleese had called in.

"I was chattin' to him. Grand lad. Quiet, like. Not a word outta him. But grand. Daycent tip, too, boy"

"Did he say anything at all?" ventured I.

"All he said was, when he was paying was "Do Cork People Have Spare Tongues?
And out the door with him".

I still think while "Still Open All Hours" wasn't as good as the original, it was a pretty decent effort but it did still have the brilliant David Jason and Stephanie Cole in it, ably assisted by some very capable 'new' actors
Fawlty Towers on 06:22 - Feb 11 with 2584 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I have a horrible feeling they'll rehash old sketches. As in: Fawlty wildly celebrates an England goal, only for it to be checked. 'What shall we do?' asks a guest, whereupon someone says, 'Don't mention the VAR!' I can also see Fawlty standing over a computer issuing a warning to it before giving it a right good thrashing.

Cleese always struck me as a bit of a prig. As pointed out above, he's reinvented himself in the annoying-Morgan/Clarkson style, spouting anti-woke stuff like a parrot. In fact, it's a dead parrot, it's ceased to be.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Fawlty Towers on 10:17 - Feb 11 with 2437 viewsthemodfather

for me cleese has been caned for recent comments and thought, i will show you and bring back one of the best sitcoms ever and on a non bbc channel and it will be great. i do not think so. this smacks of do not do it, it will fail and be very poor. we shall see.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024