Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Transfer Rumours 16:26 - May 9 with 398023 viewsderbyhoop

As they seem to have started already, this should be an ongoing thread until August

Seny Dieng - Reims who are mid table in Ligue 1 reportedly interested
Conor Masterson - Gillingham, where he spent the 2nd half of the season; are confident of signing him, but Exeter are also interested

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:13 - Jul 26 with 5069 viewsterryb

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:04 - Jul 26 by TK1

I meant at a higher level than Ball when Ball signed. Ball hit that higher level with us. Maybe Gape will?

I mean, it's much of muchness. But he has played a lot of games.

For avoidance of doubt, I wouldn't sign him. He's not a great age and he's been injured a bit. But then again, I don't know him that well. I don't think the trial was to impress us or even GA/RD. It was probably to see where he is fitness-wise as he's got issues in that respect. As I say, mangers like to have one or two willing workhorses they know well. They may not be who 18 year old experts and "freelance journalists" on twitter would pick for their fantasy teams, but they usually do a useful job over potentially a difficult season.

But he hadn't! Ball had made 67 more appearances at a higher level than Gape has!

I really don't understand how the Scottish Premier could not be considered higher than EFL League 1.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:25]
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:21 - Jul 26 with 5010 viewsdmm

I wouldn't be averse to Dixon-Boner playing instead of Dozzell. From what I've seen of he looks like he prefers playing further forward than in a defensive two, but still he seems to apply himself with far more rigor than Dozzell.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:21 - Jul 26 with 5000 viewsaston_hoop

The myth of Dom Ball has really grown these last couple of years. He wasn't very good in reality was he? Sam Field is the biggest upgrade we could have possibly imagined. I don't think we need another ball, we need a better version of Dozzell

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:24 - Jul 26 with 4983 viewsTK1

Summer Transfer Rumours on 12:40 - Jul 26 by Loyalitat

How many games has Gape played at a higher level then?. It would appear just one game for Southampton and without looking, I doubt that was a Premier League game. In comparison, Ball was involved in 90 odd games for QPR at Championship level.

I have to say that on yesterday's non-show of a performance from Gape against very weak opposition, I hope that's where our interest ends.

Bemoan Dozzell as much as we want, but he's better than Gape. I would rather we gave more opportunities to the likes of Dixon-Bonner, Pedder, Aoraha, ahead of signing Gape.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 12:46]

As I said, Ball got those games with QPR.

Those QPR kids all very different types of players though. They are all attack-minded midfielders. Obviously Dozzell is a better player than Gape! But the idea that we can go into a season with Sam Field and Andre Dozzell as the only CMs with Aoraha or Pedder (and no league appearances) as back-up is as mad as thinking we can go into it with Jimmy Dunne and JCS as our only CBs with Joe Gubbins, Woodman and Hawkins as back-up. It's not possible. You need some experienced, reliable back-up, hence Fox and a Gape-style signing.

Sam Field breaks his ankle at home to Swansea in September. Do you go away to Birmingham next game with Dixon-Bonner holding midfield alongside Dozzell or a Gape or Scowen type who've at least some experience of the job? Those kids will all get games but some cheap experience is also required.

(Just to add one more time: I don't want Gape. But I understand why the manager might need him)
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:29 - Jul 26 with 4919 viewsTK1

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:13 - Jul 26 by terryb

But he hadn't! Ball had made 67 more appearances at a higher level than Gape has!

I really don't understand how the Scottish Premier could not be considered higher than EFL League 1.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:25]

Well, I might be wrong but wasn't he at Glasgow Rangers in 2015-16 when they were in the Championship, not the Premiership? They won the Championship that year, but I'd give Wycombe a chance of winning it too.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:32 - Jul 26 with 4902 viewstoboboly

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:29 - Jul 26 by TK1

Well, I might be wrong but wasn't he at Glasgow Rangers in 2015-16 when they were in the Championship, not the Premiership? They won the Championship that year, but I'd give Wycombe a chance of winning it too.

Ball played in the Scottish Prem for Aberdeen for 2 seasons before joining us

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=75115&season_id=151

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:36 - Jul 26 with 4847 viewsterryb

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:29 - Jul 26 by TK1

You're correct in that Ii shouldn't have been including his 21 games for Rangers. His 47 for Aberdeen would count though!

What really got me though was your comment that Gape had played many more games at a higher level than Ball had when we signed him. I don't regard 1 more Championship as "many"!

Anyhow, let's end this back & forth sniping. Neither of us would sign Gape or bring Ball back, although Ipswich reserves improved by replacing Dozzell with Dominic!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:42]
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:43 - Jul 26 with 4774 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:21 - Jul 26 by aston_hoop

The myth of Dom Ball has really grown these last couple of years. He wasn't very good in reality was he? Sam Field is the biggest upgrade we could have possibly imagined. I don't think we need another ball, we need a better version of Dozzell

Spot on. Dom Ball couldn't make a 5 yard pass , he gave the ball away in very dangerous areas of the pitch, and he was not a Championship player.
I think people are fond of him is that he tackled and ran around a lot. Big deal, an U8 does that.
Login to get fewer ads

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:53 - Jul 26 with 4718 viewsSydneyRs

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:32 - Jul 26 by toboboly

Ball played in the Scottish Prem for Aberdeen for 2 seasons before joining us

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=75115&season_id=151

There's a large drop in quality between Celtic/Rangers and the rest, probably the equivalent of two divisions in England.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:57 - Jul 26 with 4703 viewsTK1

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:36 - Jul 26 by terryb

You're correct in that Ii shouldn't have been including his 21 games for Rangers. His 47 for Aberdeen would count though!

What really got me though was your comment that Gape had played many more games at a higher level than Ball had when we signed him. I don't regard 1 more Championship as "many"!

Anyhow, let's end this back & forth sniping. Neither of us would sign Gape or bring Ball back, although Ipswich reserves improved by replacing Dozzell with Dominic!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 13:42]

Fair enough. I totally forgot about Aberdeen on loan. The "higher level" bit wasn't really needed, it was the "many more games" that was the important bit. Could've been "at a decent level". We need some know-how in the middle of the pitch, from front to back. Gape is probably not the answer, Fox may not be the answer. But I can see why GA's trying to bring those kind of players in.

I was looking at Birmingham's squad last night. Really envious. Good players throughout, each signing an improvement. It's quite incredible how QPR have managed to swap positions with them in a year.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:25 - Jul 26 with 4344 viewsw7r

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:09 - Jul 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Bet he still doesn't smile.

As Cascarino said about his Ireland team-mate Stapleton "He's the kind of man who gets up, walks to the bathroom, looks in the mirror and smiles. Just to get it out of the way for the day.

I was in Todd Doors (Northolt branch) - must've been 25 years ago waiting to collect a kitchen door. Tony happened to be in front of me at the counter settling-up for his purchase. A stocky chap appears carrying an internal 4 panel door (in white primer) to the sales counter just as Tony finishes messing with his card/receipt etc. The guy says “Roberts”, Tony looks around, replies “yes”, the warehouse guy asks Tony if he needs any help with the door, Tony says “no, I can manage - thanks” warehouse guy goes to hand over the door to Tony, and at that moment I just couldn't help myself and let out with "Don't spill it keeper" he just glared at me, absolute death stare, picked up the door and made for the exit. Honestly, how could he not even give me a smile for that?
Summer Transfer Rumours on 15:44 - Jul 26 with 4249 viewsDorse

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:43 - Jul 26 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Spot on. Dom Ball couldn't make a 5 yard pass , he gave the ball away in very dangerous areas of the pitch, and he was not a Championship player.
I think people are fond of him is that he tackled and ran around a lot. Big deal, an U8 does that.

You, sir, have crossed the line.

My frankly unhealthy obsession with Dom aside, I think the club has always had players like him, at least for as long as I can remember. Going back a few years, players like Bircham, Holloway, Bolder, Scowen, even Derry (up to a point) were there to do a limited job in the centre which allowed others to shine. Field is an upgrade on just about all of our more recent midfield 'wreckers' but his role as 'Field the Shield' is one that you could definitely see Derry doing.

I get the effort bit - I've said before 'Je suis Dom'. If I was ever to get the chance to play for the Rs, even for 5 minutes, I'd play like him. Run about, kick everything that moves if it's not wearing hoops, get booked in the first 8 seconds, get all confused when skilful players do skilful things. He is us!

I digress. If Gape turns out to be our DCM back-up, and he gives it the lot every time he plays, he'll get a lot of love on here. Especially if that means our more dangerous players are freed up to do what they do best. It's a team game, after all.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:10 - Jul 26 with 4083 viewstoboboly

Summer Transfer Rumours on 13:43 - Jul 26 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Dozzell doesn't.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:51 - Jul 26 with 3759 viewsaston_hoop

For anyone who remembers the legendary Turkish goalkeeper who used to play with black warpaint under his eyes!!

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:56 - Jul 26 with 3726 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:51 - Jul 26 by aston_hoop

For anyone who remembers the legendary Turkish goalkeeper who used to play with black warpaint under his eyes!!

his son isnt a GK?
Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:00 - Jul 26 with 3692 viewsaston_hoop

Summer Transfer Rumours on 16:56 - Jul 26 by Welsh_Ranger

his son isnt a GK?

Forward by the looks of it!

Summer Transfer Rumours on 18:48 - Jul 26 with 3334 views1JD

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:00 - Jul 26 by aston_hoop

Forward by the looks of it!

Yep he’s a forward. Previously was on the books of Galatasaray but when the family moved to the UK he signed for QPRs academy a couple of years back. He’s a Turkey U16 international.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:00 - Jul 26 with 3125 viewsaston_hoop

Jack Whatmough has officially left Wigan, would round off our central defence nicely and allow some of the younger lads to get loan time

Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:05 - Jul 26 with 3104 viewsdmm

Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:00 - Jul 26 by aston_hoop

Jack Whatmough has officially left Wigan, would round off our central defence nicely and allow some of the younger lads to get loan time

I expect a few other clubs will be interested, particularly as he's a free agent.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:46 - Jul 26 with 2952 viewsHAYESBOY

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-interested-in-another-iroegbunam-loan-de

Certainly need another CM. Hope it happens.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:58 - Jul 26 with 2899 viewseghamranger

Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:46 - Jul 26 by HAYESBOY

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-interested-in-another-iroegbunam-loan-de

Certainly need another CM. Hope it happens.

Forino ( defender) needed.. never seen him play but GA rates him and Wycombe fans like him.

Tim. (Midfielder). We know him and he knows us and he won’t get games at Villa.

Chris Martin ( forward) . Good pro, did well for us and scores goals, but will get slated for his waist size, would fit our budget and obviously reading don’t want him….

That would probably be the squad complete.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:15 - Jul 26 with 2811 viewsdmm

Summer Transfer Rumours on 20:58 - Jul 26 by eghamranger

Forino ( defender) needed.. never seen him play but GA rates him and Wycombe fans like him.

Tim. (Midfielder). We know him and he knows us and he won’t get games at Villa.

Chris Martin ( forward) . Good pro, did well for us and scores goals, but will get slated for his waist size, would fit our budget and obviously reading don’t want him….

That would probably be the squad complete.

Forino sounds promising and Iroegbunam would be a good no 8 for us.

But Martin? I know we're stoney broke but surely there's a better striker out there for us.
Summer Transfer Rumours on 21:17 - Jul 26 with 2789 viewsSAPilgrim

Anyone know them well enough to see if they might be an option for us?
Summer Transfer Rumours on 22:22 - Jul 26 with 2538 viewsqprcmob

Summer Transfer Rumours on 17:29 - Jul 24 by Padulas_Shampoo

I think that's stretching the word 'fine' to extreme breadths of it's definition.

That CM in particular looks like League 2 fodder at best if Field doesn't play 46 games again. I don't know who that new CM is going to be but he's going to have to be a universal and unquestioned success if that's all we have in the squad this season.

We have one seasoned striker who divides opinion and was in a hospital bed for a month earlier this year. That squad scored 26 Championship goals last season and we've only added Smyth and Larkeche.

Good grief.

Exactly This
Summer Transfer Rumours on 22:34 - Jul 26 with 2462 viewsqprcmob

Summer Transfer Rumours on 10:46 - Jul 26 by ted_hendrix

I thought when he signed his Father was going to attend each game as his mentor or some such? his Father being Jason Dozzell.
For me I thought at the time he would be a good signing and progress but he hasn't.
It's all a bit disappointing regarding Andre Dozzell but we need ten outfield players playing 100% at they're game, we are not In the position of carrying any players (stating the bleeding obvious).

I still think we're short up front and I'm not talking about height.

Understatement we are well short up front, the toughest championship for years and our strike force Dykes 10 goal a season, Armstrong yet to score a goal in the championship and Kelman who correct me if i'm wrong not scored a championship goal either. Someone posted that we only scored 26 goals last season, how can QPR not see that. I bet Kevin Gallen is having a meltdown. Get a striker in FFS
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024