Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? 07:18 - May 11 with 8715 viewsRs_Holy

I'm in the market for a new BBQ and my friends and family are totally divided on the best way forward.
I've got some peeps going on about the convenience of gas and the another sizable lot saying that charcoal gives a better taste to the food. I've also been shown a hybrid BBQ which does gas and/or charcoal (but those ones are VERY expensive).
Just wondering what the Loft For Words faithful thought on the matter and if you have any preferences for make and model? ... Cheers RH
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:02 - May 11 with 2004 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Cheat by initially cooking in the oven and then finishing on a charcoal BBQ. Your guests will be amazed!
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:23 - May 11 with 1979 viewsMonkey_Roots

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:02 - May 11 by Benny_the_Ball

Cheat by initially cooking in the oven and then finishing on a charcoal BBQ. Your guests will be amazed!

That reminded me off a Viz Top Tip
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 19:44 - May 11 with 1943 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:23 - May 11 by Monkey_Roots

That reminded me off a Viz Top Tip

LOL. In all seriousness, it works. The meat is cooked through in the oven then given that smoky flavour on the BBQ. Less chance of burning too. Marinate the meat overnight then start cooking in the oven whilst you warm up the BBQ. Throw the next batch of meat in the oven when the current batch goes on the BBQ. This maintains the flow resulting in lower wait times, better tasting food and happier guests.
[Post edited 12 May 2023 10:19]
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 21:28 - May 11 with 1912 viewsHastings_Hoops

Wood pellet bbq. That’s the way ahead
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 22:35 - May 11 with 1883 viewsBlackCrowe

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 21:28 - May 11 by Hastings_Hoops

Wood pellet bbq. That’s the way ahead

Restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal from Amazon prime - whopping great chunks for the same price you buy crap from supermarkets, garden centres.

You can tell it's been a long, hard season.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:24 - May 12 with 1772 viewsSonofpugwash

I'm in the process of making a new BBQ/Tandoor out of a solid fuel bunker and the bricks out of an old electric storage heater.Got to be charcoal,you just can't get the proper taste of Tandoori otherwise.Dear God I'm salivating already ....where's the Bombay/Mumbai Mix?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:28 - May 23 with 1626 viewsBluce_Ree

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:24 - May 12 by Sonofpugwash

I'm in the process of making a new BBQ/Tandoor out of a solid fuel bunker and the bricks out of an old electric storage heater.Got to be charcoal,you just can't get the proper taste of Tandoori otherwise.Dear God I'm salivating already ....where's the Bombay/Mumbai Mix?

There was a place in Thornton Heath back when I worked there. You'd pop over there at lunch time and the guy would cook up a MEAT FEST in some holes in the counter which I assume is similar to what you mean. Like straight up cooking it in fire.

Meat wrapped in bread, all the spices. Big old lunch. Spend the afternoon shitting yourself raw in the office bogs.

Good times.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:55 - May 23 with 1598 viewsRangersDave

Gas is a cop out!

Nothing like trying to get a charcoal bbq to light on a windy day, or burn evenly so the whole grillsurface is hot at the same time, or letting the wind blow ash everywhere including onto the prepared salad, and meat.

Waiting half an hour at least to start cooking, then cooking almost everything immediately because the charcoal burns quick, and you cannot ge arsed to put more on.

Having a charcoal bbq is the best and only way to cook food, real men use uncontrolled fire, using natural coals etc.

Gas is for the lazy wimps, shame on you!

For real men who fight with real fire, i salute you. 😉

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Login to get fewer ads

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:27 - May 23 with 1574 viewsSonofpugwash

Gives new meaning to the term Live Stream.
Going to give it a whirl.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:29 - May 23 with 1575 viewsRs_Holy

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:27 - May 23 by Sonofpugwash

Gives new meaning to the term Live Stream.
Going to give it a whirl.

God I'm hungry having watched that vid
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:36 - May 23 with 1565 viewsSonofpugwash

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:29 - May 23 by Rs_Holy

God I'm hungry having watched that vid

For afters...

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:37 - May 23 with 1567 viewsToast_R

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 16:15 - May 23 with 1450 viewsMick_S

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:55 - May 23 by RangersDave

Gas is a cop out!

Nothing like trying to get a charcoal bbq to light on a windy day, or burn evenly so the whole grillsurface is hot at the same time, or letting the wind blow ash everywhere including onto the prepared salad, and meat.

Waiting half an hour at least to start cooking, then cooking almost everything immediately because the charcoal burns quick, and you cannot ge arsed to put more on.

Having a charcoal bbq is the best and only way to cook food, real men use uncontrolled fire, using natural coals etc.

Gas is for the lazy wimps, shame on you!

For real men who fight with real fire, i salute you. 😉

RD - best thing for getting an even glow is a hairdryer on an extension lead. Saw a bloke cook for a whole restaurant in Crete using this method. It’s a phaf, but it works. As mentioned above, the charcoal chimneys are tremendous.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:30 - May 23 with 1408 viewsHayesender

Bought a cheap kettle bbq last week after reading this thread. Used it once, but no complaints at all

Poll: Shamima Beghum

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:15 - May 23 with 1393 viewsGloryHunter

I've got an old gas burner (formerly used under an asphalt pot) under a big offcut of steel plate from a bridge job. The thickness of the steel makes for a uniform heat, and holds the heat when you turn the gas off. Most of the smoky flavour of a BBQ comes from the burning fat dripping onto the burner, anyway, rather than the wood or charcoal.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:48 - May 23 with 1373 viewsDraytonR

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:15 - May 23 by GloryHunter

I've got an old gas burner (formerly used under an asphalt pot) under a big offcut of steel plate from a bridge job. The thickness of the steel makes for a uniform heat, and holds the heat when you turn the gas off. Most of the smoky flavour of a BBQ comes from the burning fat dripping onto the burner, anyway, rather than the wood or charcoal.

Charcoal every time , use a chiney to get it started in less then 20 minutes, if you use the vents properly you can easily control the temperature , I've just bought a rotisserie for my weber and it's the nuts . As it's already been said , gas is a kitchen cooker , not a real BBQ .
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:07 - May 24 with 1275 viewsRs_Holy

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:48 - May 23 by DraytonR

Charcoal every time , use a chiney to get it started in less then 20 minutes, if you use the vents properly you can easily control the temperature , I've just bought a rotisserie for my weber and it's the nuts . As it's already been said , gas is a kitchen cooker , not a real BBQ .

I've totted up the scores and can announce that charcoal is the clear winner... I can see the benefits of gas (it does make life easy) but it looks like most folks on here are preferring the whole caveman thing. I will make a purchase before Sunday... Many thanks for everyones input.

DraytonR - what is this use of a chimney you talk about???
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:04 - May 24 with 1236 viewsDraytonR

A chiney starter , weber make them , you can get them from alot of garden centres or go online , usually about £26 , saves alot of time getting your coals going
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:14 - May 24 with 1229 viewskingsburyR

To clarify.....

Charcoal or wood is used in a BBQ (or Braai in South Africa). Gas is used in an outdoor stove.

Facto

Men Cook on a BBQ while ladies make salad.

Facto 2

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:27 - May 24 with 1221 viewsrobith

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:07 - May 24 by Rs_Holy

I've totted up the scores and can announce that charcoal is the clear winner... I can see the benefits of gas (it does make life easy) but it looks like most folks on here are preferring the whole caveman thing. I will make a purchase before Sunday... Many thanks for everyones input.

DraytonR - what is this use of a chimney you talk about???

One of these bad boys. Fuel in the tube, lighter underneath, ready to spread in 20 minutes

also recommend wood wool lighters over fire lighters to avoid the petrol taste

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 18:09 - May 24 with 1203 viewsRs_Holy

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:27 - May 24 by robith

One of these bad boys. Fuel in the tube, lighter underneath, ready to spread in 20 minutes

Muchas Gracias por todo
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 19:48 - May 24 with 1184 viewsBlackCrowe

Yep me too...works so well. Weber One Touch - c.£200+ so pricey but i've had mine for 4 years and loads of life left in it so per year works out a good year.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 14:15 - May 25 with 1089 viewsRBlock

A chimney is absolutely essential. I'm looking to get a second for big cooks when I want to use the entire BBQ.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 15:53 - May 25 with 1068 viewsBlackCrowe

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 14:15 - May 25 by RBlock

A chimney is absolutely essential. I'm looking to get a second for big cooks when I want to use the entire BBQ.

Yep, i went that way too. Had a Weber chimney and then bought a second off amazon for 25% of price and it's just as good.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 21:48 - May 25 with 996 viewsLblock

Good luck to the OP with his venture into charcoal..... I reckon you'll get bored of the faff in 6 weeks!!!!

I'll be firing my beast up for it's first cook out of the season this weekend.
Money's tight but may splash out on a bit of Cote du Boeuf for the occasion and have my first glass of red in over two weeks.

Summer.

Bring it...

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024