Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Gallen has left Charlton 19:40 - Aug 2 with 19613 viewsBakes

It’s happening..

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 13:59 - Aug 17 with 4785 viewsAntti_Heinola

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 09:43 - Aug 17 by Vish

Steve Gallen was as the match yesterday. I saw him come out of the SAR corporate entrance. Make of that what you will.

My favourite posts are ‘make of that what you will’ posts! Perfect example Vish!

Bare bones.

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:09 - Aug 17 with 4713 viewsNorthernr

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 13:37 - Aug 17 by tkqpr

I thinking that might he already be "employed" by the club but not "officially?"

I imagine the club can save some "official" QPR money, by being paid by one of Rubens companys (or whowevers) for a period and not officailly take money out of the club.

Im saying if his salary is £250,000 pa, then maybe for this years salary Amit, Ruben's companies could pay him this and it not affect the financies of the club, at least for this year?

Also theres a saving from not having Les (DOF) salary either, which i would suspect would be considerably greater than £250k?

I mean if you did want to do some jail time, get you out of watching QPR for a bit, this could be a good way to do that.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:59 - Aug 17 with 4491 viewstkqpr

It happens in business, Im sure it happens in sports.

Look at the young footballers that sign for big clubs and the parents get a free house and a job somewhere.

Im sure theres many workarounds/loopholes. Im not saying, give him a bag of cash.

Like "ill pay you peanuts this year and double it up next year."
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 15:53 - Aug 17 with 4191 viewskensalriser

To me it seems very strange that a QPR fan would have been at last night's game.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 15:54 - Aug 17 with 4181 viewskensalriser

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:59 - Aug 17 by tkqpr

Look at the young footballers that sign for big clubs and the parents get a free house and a job somewhere.

Im sure theres many workarounds/loopholes. Im not saying, give him a bag of cash.

Benefits in kind are taxable and if not declared and later discovered will result in a legal walloping.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 16:00 - Aug 17 with 4114 viewsNorthernr

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 15:54 - Aug 17 by kensalriser

Benefits in kind are taxable and if not declared and later discovered will result in a legal walloping.

Something sort of similar to this at Boston United years and years ago.

Steve Evans got them promoted from Conference North into the League, which was quite some going for Boston United, but it turned out they'd been able to attract players, staff etc to the club they should never have been able to afford by having one official pay roll that was presented to HMRC, and then lots and lots of brown envelopes, gifts, cars etc paid on top off the books. Evans and the chairman both got a suspended prison sentence.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2394265/evans-escapes-jail-sentence
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 16:01 - Aug 17 with 4104 viewsLandshark

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 15:53 - Aug 17 by kensalriser

To me it seems very strange that a QPR fan would have been at last night's game.

Agreed, not sure why anyone would pay to watch QPR in a cup match.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 16:43 - Aug 17 with 3852 viewsdaveB

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:59 - Aug 17 by tkqpr

It's part of what Man City have been charged with paying managers and players big money from separate companies not associated with Man City
Login to get fewer ads

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:44 - Aug 17 with 3604 viewstkqpr

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 16:00 - Aug 17 by Northernr

Steve Evans got them promoted from Conference North into the League, which was quite some going for Boston United, but it turned out they'd been able to attract players, staff etc to the club they should never have been able to afford by having one official pay roll that was presented to HMRC, and then lots and lots of brown envelopes, gifts, cars etc paid on top off the books. Evans and the chairman both got a suspended prison sentence.

I was working for a Company in Boston at the time and they sponsered one of the stands. I also got quite a few freebies with our connection with Chestnut Homes who have supported Boston United and built their new ground for them which is impressive, and at no cost to the club.

Gazza used to play for them for probably about a season, no more, and he always used to be in the hairdressers i used getting his hair, beard and tache sculpted and bleached.

I can't imagine he was there for the culture of the town.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:57 - Aug 17 with 3502 viewsKensalT

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:09 - Aug 17 by Northernr

I mean if you did want to do some jail time, get you out of watching QPR for a bit, this could be a good way to do that.

It's not a criminal offence to have more than one source of income, provided there are no 'brown envelopes' involved!

But it can still be a FFP/P&S breach if it is done for the purposes of circumventing the rules.

It's basically what Man City were doing with Roberto Mancini:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6366745/Man-City-secretly-p
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 18:06]
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 01:00 - Aug 18 with 3089 viewsjohncharles

Gone are the days when Clough would buy the parents of a young player a new washing machine 😇

Strong and stable my arse.

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:11 - Sep 8 with 2572 viewsaston_hoop

Of all the random bizarre things in the world, Lee Bowyer seems to have rocked up coaching the Montserrat national team (no actual announcement, he's just there) and Steve Gallen seems to be assisting him. Obviously both just love working with Loyal Taylor

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:14 - Sep 8 with 2539 viewsTheChef

So - what are the odds on us going the whole season without a DoF?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:19 - Sep 8 with 2503 viewsbosh67

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:14 - Sep 8 by TheChef

High really. I think we should go down the route of Have I Got News For You and just have a guest DOF every week.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 19:08 - Sep 8 with 2251 viewsfrancisbowles

FFP possibly so tight we can't afford one until next summer.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 09:13 - Sep 9 with 1977 viewsdaveB

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:11 - Sep 8 by aston_hoop

Of all the random bizarre things in the world, Lee Bowyer seems to have rocked up coaching the Montserrat national team (no actual announcement, he's just there) and Steve Gallen seems to be assisting him. Obviously both just love working with Loyal Taylor

Won their first game 1-0, Loyal taylor got the winner
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 10:07 - Sep 9 with 1849 viewsDejR_vu

I would imagine the owners would be looking at the last one and thinking, ‘what was the point of that?’, and they’ll see if they think GA does a better job.

FWIW, I think we need a DoF, especially with these owners. But, like almost everything else, they’re incapable of doing it right and making the right appointment. A bad appointment is as bad, or even worse, than not making one at all. The fact is, we had a DoF for eight or nine years, and look at the state he left the club in.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 11:29 - Sep 9 with 1686 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"I would imagine the owners would be looking at the last one and thinking, ‘what was the point of that?’, and they’ll see if they think GA does a better job."

I would hope that they'd ask themselves what the point of having a DOF is if they're going to overrule him/her anyway.

I thought Ferdinand did a fine job for many of his years here but the last few managerial appointments were contradictory, batshit crazy and lacking in any cohesive strategy. Either Ferdinand instigated those appointments or his bosses instigated them over his head. In either scenario it was unfortunately time for him to go.

Like you, I think we need a DoF at the club, but if we do get a new one in and repeat the same process as of late, then we're doomed to another few years of chaos.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 12:23 - Sep 9 with 1542 viewsdmm

Just to play Devil's advocate... Most seem to think we should have a DoF. So, why is that? What are the benefits over not having one?
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 13:05 - Sep 9 with 1449 viewsDavieQPR

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 01:00 - Aug 18 by johncharles

Gone are the days when Clough would buy the parents of a young player a new washing machine 😇

My sons teamate had a house bought for his parents by a big London club and he is only in his mid twenties now.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:04 - Sep 9 with 1358 viewsSydneyRs

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 16:00 - Aug 17 by Northernr

This sort of thing is why Glasgow Rangers died and have been replaced by a tribute club.

Why they didn't have titles stripped too remains a mystery.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:34 - Sep 9 with 1273 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 12:23 - Sep 9 by dmm

Just to play Devil's advocate... Most seem to think we should have a DoF. So, why is that? What are the benefits over not having one?

My reasons are:

1) Can't trust a manager in charge of the purse and his favourite agent not to rip us off (we've been there, at least once)
2) Can't trust a manager not to just sign short-term fixes (we've been there more than once)
3) No manager has a long-term plan anymore, as they know the industry will sack them after a handful of bad results. Why would they? But the club needs to have one.
4) Can't trust a CEO to rectify 1, 2 and 3 as their expertise is finance, not football, so
5) The only solution I can personally think of is a DoF.

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:39 - Sep 9 with 1265 viewsdmm

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:34 - Sep 9 by BrianMcCarthy

My reasons are:

1) Can't trust a manager in charge of the purse and his favourite agent not to rip us off (we've been there, at least once)
2) Can't trust a manager not to just sign short-term fixes (we've been there more than once)
3) No manager has a long-term plan anymore, as they know the industry will sack them after a handful of bad results. Why would they? But the club needs to have one.
4) Can't trust a CEO to rectify 1, 2 and 3 as their expertise is finance, not football, so

Some very good reasoning there, Brian.
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 15:59 - Sep 9 with 1150 viewsCateLeBonR

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 14:34 - Sep 9 by BrianMcCarthy

My reasons are:

Do we not sort of have a lot of the things you talk about in your list? It might not be perfect but muddling along with what we have might be better than making a bad appointment now.

I was looking at the Crystal Palace set-up over the summer and they seem to manage without a stated DOF. They do of course have Dougie Freedman as Sporting Director which looks like a similar role to what Les had.

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/6/Crystal-Palace/directory
Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 17:06 - Sep 9 with 1041 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Steve Gallen has left Charlton on 15:59 - Sep 9 by CateLeBonR

Do we not sort of have a lot of the things you talk about in your list? It might not be perfect but muddling along with what we have might be better than making a bad appointment now.

I was looking at the Crystal Palace set-up over the summer and they seem to manage without a stated DOF. They do of course have Dougie Freedman as Sporting Director which looks like a similar role to what Les had.

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/6/Crystal-Palace/directory

I don't think we do, Cate.

Ainsworth has said that he's in charge of transfers. Hoos, naturally, has no experience in recuitment. That's fine, but imagine he gets sacked and Redknapp is appointed in the morning. Who in Rangers has the knowledge to stop him stripping us again?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024