Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Cook 21:20 - Aug 9 with 19095 viewsAddinall

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2023/august/09/steve-cook-completes-qpr-move/
Steve Cook on 09:34 - Aug 11 with 1869 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Steve Cook on 09:30 - Aug 11 by PlanetHonneywood

Quite right Ted.

This notion that a player presented with a presumably better offer, must be a wrongun for taking it over joining our clusterfuk of a club, baffles me.

He's won a promotion, played in the prem, and probably made a good few quid more playing for Forest. Turn the clock back, present him with how things would turn out at QPR and Forest, would we expect him to confess to making a wrong decision?

"Turn the clock back, present him with how things would turn out at QPR and Forest, would we expect him to confess to making a wrong decision?"

He definitely would've joined us if we had The Best Training Ground in the World back then.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Steve Cook on 09:34 - Aug 11 with 1870 viewsNorthernr

Steve Cook on 09:30 - Aug 11 by PlanetHonneywood

Quite right Ted.

This notion that a player presented with a presumably better offer, must be a wrongun for taking it over joining our clusterfuk of a club, baffles me.

He's won a promotion, played in the prem, and probably made a good few quid more playing for Forest. Turn the clock back, present him with how things would turn out at QPR and Forest, would we expect him to confess to making a wrong decision?

I didn't say he was a wrong'un mate come on that's not fair.

I'm just a bit bored of the PR and the hype.

"I thought I would be here for the first game but after seeing the result I felt even more desperate to come down to try and put things right and contribute to the group." Come on now, you weren't here last week because the deal on the table wasn't enough, and now it is so you are.
Steve Cook on 09:36 - Aug 11 with 1839 viewsJordanFoster

Steve Cook on 09:15 - Aug 11 by TheChef

Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

Seems for football fans these days (or even the world in general) it's either feast or famine, no shades of grey in between.

By no means saying things are great at our club, but I don't think it's the end of the world. I'm hopeful that with time (ha) things can get better.

But sure, get back to me after ten league games and our record reads P10 L10

To be honest mate, I'd be well up for someone showing me the grey at the moment!
Steve Cook on 09:37 - Aug 11 with 1830 viewsmart_Goblin

Steve Cook on 09:29 - Aug 11 by Northernr

As you and Ted say we're backed into a corner. And we're having to do some deals for players like this to try and get ourselves out of it. You couldn't continue with anything like that back four from last Saturday. But that's all it is, and we (fans, club) shouldn't be trying to hype it up as anything more.

Yeah I take your point mate and it’s hard to disagree from that respect
Steve Cook on 09:43 - Aug 11 with 1783 viewsRangersw12

We were 4th at the time so the fact he went for money suggests his character isn't all that .

Regardless of that it's clear he's only here now because we've offered him a 2 year deal with option of a 3rd which nobody else would.

He isn't here because we're an itch he wanted to scratch it's for money alone and the over hyping of this signing is embarrassing from the club and some fans .

Yes we need him and fingers crossed he does well but it's another example of how rubbish the club is at the moment and I'm fed up of having these reminders !
Steve Cook on 09:49 - Aug 11 with 1740 viewsNorthernr

Steve Cook on 09:43 - Aug 11 by Rangersw12

We were 4th at the time so the fact he went for money suggests his character isn't all that .

Regardless of that it's clear he's only here now because we've offered him a 2 year deal with option of a 3rd which nobody else would.

He isn't here because we're an itch he wanted to scratch it's for money alone and the over hyping of this signing is embarrassing from the club and some fans .

Yes we need him and fingers crossed he does well but it's another example of how rubbish the club is at the moment and I'm fed up of having these reminders !

Yeh that's more where I am.

For the desperate situation we've got ourselves into he's a decent signing - good player at this level, experience and voice which we lack, position we're painfully weak in. For him it's a chance to get a contract nobody else would offer.

But that's all it is. Us pretending we've done it to help bring all these wonderful young centre backs we've got somewhere, and him pretending he was desperate to get here and help out... just grates a bit TBH.

But I'm grumpy about QPR atm so maybe I'll just shut up now haha.
Steve Cook on 09:50 - Aug 11 with 1736 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Steve Cook on 09:34 - Aug 11 by Northernr

I didn't say he was a wrong'un mate come on that's not fair.

I'm just a bit bored of the PR and the hype.

"I thought I would be here for the first game but after seeing the result I felt even more desperate to come down to try and put things right and contribute to the group." Come on now, you weren't here last week because the deal on the table wasn't enough, and now it is so you are.

True that you did not.

However, you've either felt or implied that because he made what he felt was a better choice for him in choosing Forest over us, its a mark against him. Now come on, that's a bit stiff.

As for the vicissitudes of negotiations resulting in us being a more motivated buyer prepared to offer more favourable terms, he's not put a gun to our head. If anything, we have done that.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Steve Cook on 09:52 - Aug 11 with 1722 viewsNorthernr

Steve Cook on 09:50 - Aug 11 by PlanetHonneywood

True that you did not.

However, you've either felt or implied that because he made what he felt was a better choice for him in choosing Forest over us, its a mark against him. Now come on, that's a bit stiff.

As for the vicissitudes of negotiations resulting in us being a more motivated buyer prepared to offer more favourable terms, he's not put a gun to our head. If anything, we have done that.

Agree and agree TBF.

My post directly above this is basically where I am, and it's really not that far off where the rest of you are.
Login to get fewer ads

Steve Cook on 10:04 - Aug 11 with 1642 viewsmart_Goblin

Steve Cook on 09:49 - Aug 11 by Northernr

For the desperate situation we've got ourselves into he's a decent signing - good player at this level, experience and voice which we lack, position we're painfully weak in. For him it's a chance to get a contract nobody else would offer.

But that's all it is. Us pretending we've done it to help bring all these wonderful young centre backs we've got somewhere, and him pretending he was desperate to get here and help out... just grates a bit TBH.

Not quite what I meant and by no means did I claim anybody was wonderful .

Just that now he is here I think he will be a good asset for different reasons
Steve Cook on 10:07 - Aug 11 with 1627 viewsNorthernr

Steve Cook on 10:04 - Aug 11 by mart_Goblin

Not quite what I meant and by no means did I claim anybody was wonderful .

Just that now he is here I think he will be a good asset for different reasons

Yeh sorry that's me being needlessly sarcastic, and wasn't aimed at you.
Steve Cook on 10:07 - Aug 11 with 1625 viewsfrancisbowles

I know Clive has to read all the sources but the rest of us don't When it comes to club spin, I might scan some of it but I don't worry about every word.

Basically, it's 'family entertainment', aimed at the very young fans, give them plenty of stuff to look at. Quantity over quality.

Doesn't every club do this?
Steve Cook on 10:11 - Aug 11 with 1614 viewsNorthernr

Match preview's gonna be fun this afternoon isn't it?
Steve Cook on 10:12 - Aug 11 with 1608 viewsmart_Goblin

Steve Cook on 10:07 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Yeh sorry that's me being needlessly sarcastic, and wasn't aimed at you.

No worries mate . I get the frustration totally .
Steve Cook on 10:13 - Aug 11 with 1604 viewsdaveB

Like any signing you won't really know what he's like for a few months. On paper he's exactly what we need. Good experience, a good talker and more importantly a good defender. A Back 3 of Cook, Dunne and JCS would be pretty decent if we get them all fit and playing.

I do agree with others about us no longer trying to sign these up and coming raw diamonds and that will be a problem for us but even when we've done things the right way signing those ones like Eze, Chair, Bright, Willock etc it's ended up with us punching ourselves in the face so I'm at a loss to know what is right or wrong anymore.
Steve Cook on 10:20 - Aug 11 with 1574 viewsTheChef

Steve Cook on 10:13 - Aug 11 by daveB

Like any signing you won't really know what he's like for a few months. On paper he's exactly what we need. Good experience, a good talker and more importantly a good defender. A Back 3 of Cook, Dunne and JCS would be pretty decent if we get them all fit and playing.

I do agree with others about us no longer trying to sign these up and coming raw diamonds and that will be a problem for us but even when we've done things the right way signing those ones like Eze, Chair, Bright, Willock etc it's ended up with us punching ourselves in the face so I'm at a loss to know what is right or wrong anymore.

Thing is hasn't the 'raw diamonds' sell-on model (which Brentford have done so well with) more or less died, since the bottom has fallen out of the Championship transfer market?

All the more reason to try and develop our own talent (ahem)...but that doesn't happen overnight.

As usual, our timing is impeccable!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Steve Cook on 10:29 - Aug 11 with 1537 viewsdaveB

Steve Cook on 10:20 - Aug 11 by TheChef

Thing is hasn't the 'raw diamonds' sell-on model (which Brentford have done so well with) more or less died, since the bottom has fallen out of the Championship transfer market?

All the more reason to try and develop our own talent (ahem)...but that doesn't happen overnight.

As usual, our timing is impeccable!

yeah I think covid has killed that market we were working in off. I doesn't hurt to always look for them though to improve the current team over the next few years more than how much we'll get for them
Steve Cook on 10:39 - Aug 11 with 1484 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Steve Cook on 10:11 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Match preview's gonna be fun this afternoon isn't it?

Why don't you do one for Man City, just change the names of course i.e. we bought Gvardiol to replace Dickie. No one will be none the wiser; give yourself a break.

Looking forward to reading about Lyndon Haaland up front

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Steve Cook on 11:09 - Aug 11 with 1374 viewsBklynRanger

Seems it might be a week or two early to listen out for a rousing rendition of 'C is for Cookie'
Steve Cook on 11:19 - Aug 11 with 1322 viewsSuffolk

I don't get the theory that a player is ready for the knacker yard once they are in their thirties. As a 50+ individual who has worked out throughout my life and works in a physically demanding job alongside people much younger, I would suggest that is more of a question as to whether the fire still burns inside you. I believe that I hit my physical peak around the age of 35 and can still hold my own with the youngsters.
If you look back at some of top players over the years many of them arrived having been discarded by other clubs for being past their best. I never have seen us as a "development" club. When we have been at our best I feel that we have got the combination of older pros and younger players right. A two year contract for Cook? If he is the type of player I believe him to be we will extend his contract beyond two years.
Steve Cook on 11:38 - Aug 11 with 1229 viewsderbyhoop

Steve Cook on 09:49 - Aug 11 by Northernr

Amen to that.

How gullible do they think us fans are?
As you say, he's got a better deal, post Watford, than was available before.
And, if we hadn't upped the offer, he'd still ve with Forest reserves.
The obvious bullsh1t in the PR is grating.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Steve Cook on 11:45 - Aug 11 with 1199 viewsdaveB

Steve Cook on 11:38 - Aug 11 by derbyhoop

Amen to that.

How gullible do they think us fans are?
As you say, he's got a better deal, post Watford, than was available before.
And, if we hadn't upped the offer, he'd still ve with Forest reserves.
The obvious bullsh1t in the PR is grating.

It's all guesswork, is just as likely we couldn't agree a fee with Forest and then just paid it after the Watford debacle
Steve Cook on 13:01 - Aug 11 with 1043 viewsDavieQPR

So if Cook is available this Saturday but Colback is not, having had the same amount of games recently, is Colback injured?
Steve Cook on 13:10 - Aug 11 with 990 viewsdaveB

Steve Cook on 13:01 - Aug 11 by DavieQPR

So if Cook is available this Saturday but Colback is not, having had the same amount of games recently, is Colback injured?

Ideally they would give Cook a few weeks as well but we have options in midfield, there is no one else for the defence
Steve Cook on 13:29 - Aug 11 with 928 viewsfrancisbowles

I think Colback was a free agent and therefore not training with a club. Cooke was still under contract and presumably has had pre season training albeit no games.
Steve Cook on 13:31 - Aug 11 with 921 viewsterryb

When Cook signed the offie stated that he had undertaken the pre season with Forest.

That should mean that although he is short of game time, he should be fit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024