Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Cook 21:20 - Aug 9 with 19083 viewsAddinall

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2023/august/09/steve-cook-completes-qpr-move/
Steve Cook on 00:10 - Aug 10 with 3357 viewsqueensparker

Steve Cook on 22:58 - Aug 9 by Northernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60595

Good piece as always.

Looking for the tiny positives at least the club know without doubt our team is hopelessly underpowered one game in rather than 15 games in.

What they do with that knowledge letโ€™s see
Steve Cook on 00:54 - Aug 10 with 3239 viewsbob566

Cracking signing. Said to the boy after Watford that we're finishing dead last. This gives me hope.
Steve Cook on 01:19 - Aug 10 with 3222 viewsCiderwithRsie

Steve Cook on 00:10 - Aug 10 by queensparker

Good piece as always.

Looking for the tiny positives at least the club know without doubt our team is hopelessly underpowered one game in rather than 15 games in.

What they do with that knowledge letโ€™s see

What I'm doing with it, is drinking lots of gin.

I'll let you know how it works out, but it's probably cheaper.
Steve Cook on 02:52 - Aug 10 with 3130 viewsYorkshirehoop

Really good signing that.
Hard as nails centre half, exactly what we need.
Was on big money at forest so is obviously taking a huge pay cut.
Every time I've seen him I've been impressed, reads the danger,strong in the tackle and is aggresive.
Only downside is that he's slow.
Overall very happy we got him.
Steve Cook on 03:18 - Aug 10 with 3115 viewsSydneyRs

If we want to stay in this division we need signings like this. Forest fans are hugely positive about him.
Steve Cook on 04:17 - Aug 10 with 3093 viewslarsricchi

Nice of Chaz to chime in

Steve Cook on 06:05 - Aug 10 with 2964 viewsdavman

Steve Cook on 04:17 - Aug 10 by larsricchi

Nice of Chaz to chime in

Yeah, he don't like the club that much these days, does he? Doesn't seem to realise that his mate Fernandes smashing the then sensible wage bill to get him back started this latest spiral that has crippled us.

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing, but after that loan period for him and Stef, it should have been a "thanks" and we moved on to cheaper signings.

Not his fault of course and neither was it the club's fault to send him on his way when his contribution stopped justifying an excessive wage...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Steve Cook on 06:31 - Aug 10 with 2914 viewsHooparoo

Steve Cook on 22:10 - Aug 9 by ted_hendrix

Chuffed to bits with this signing, a much needed defensive brick In the wall signing Is how I see It.

Sorry Ted, accidentally down voted but meant to agree with you. The right sort and what we need at the back

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Steve Cook on 07:26 - Aug 10 with 2771 viewscpgerber

I understand the economics etc that makes this signing far from ideal in terms of what we should be doing.

But I also think we need players like this to develop youngsters. Do you want our kids to learn their trade and gain experience next to JCS types or players like Cook and Colback? The latter for me, definitely.

Get the whole team moving in the right ditection again before we start talking about reselling because at the moment everyone seems to regress and drop in value here.
Steve Cook on 08:16 - Aug 10 with 2608 viewskernowhoop

We should welcome Steve to QPR and hope that it works out well for him and the club. We have recruited good old defenders before and it has been a success.

I must say that I do not doubt anything that Clive has written about the financing of this and the Colback deal and the medium-term implications. I would add that, unfortunately, it seems likely that the departure of Sam Field figures in the club's calculations.

But, forgetting the wins at Burnley and Stoke, we are in a desperate slump. Something has to be done. As fans, we are also in great danger of talking ourselves deeper into depression. It is not impossible that the likes of Begovic, Colback and Cook will restore some backbone to the team and we shall no longer leak goals at the rate of the last couple of seasons (or the last two weeks!). That might restore some confidence to the rest of the team and ... who knows?
Steve Cook on 08:16 - Aug 10 with 2607 viewsdmm

I'm pleased with this signing and, as others have said, Cook could well be another Richard Dunne for us.

However, we're not building anything. We're just desperately trying to stave off relegation. I say that because Ainsworth keeps stating he's a builder. Now he may be creating a new culture behind the scenes but seeing his last 4 signings have a combined age of 130, this season's squad will not last beyond 2 years, if that.

The club will have to change in so many ways before it can seriously and sustainably build for the future.
Steve Cook on 08:31 - Aug 10 with 2501 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"It's about our only option currently bar just surrendering to finishing bottom and getting our arse handed to us every week, but itโ€™s still pretty bleak and desperate."

Clive's last line sums it up, I think. Another signing that may well be good if taken in isolation, but the overall picture keeps getting bleaker.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Steve Cook on 08:36 - Aug 10 with 2477 viewsRs_Holy

Steve Cook on 08:16 - Aug 10 by dmm

I'm pleased with this signing and, as others have said, Cook could well be another Richard Dunne for us.

However, we're not building anything. We're just desperately trying to stave off relegation. I say that because Ainsworth keeps stating he's a builder. Now he may be creating a new culture behind the scenes but seeing his last 4 signings have a combined age of 130, this season's squad will not last beyond 2 years, if that.

The club will have to change in so many ways before it can seriously and sustainably build for the future.

Yeah I'm thinking he might have a Danny Cullip effect on the defence??? The 1 season Danny had at QPR he transformed the leaky defence (it seemed single handedly).
We went into that season with Damion Stewart and Zesh Rehman as the 1st choice CB's but it was apparent after a couple of games that we were headed for the trap door with those 2 together in the same team... He got chucked out when Tango and Cash arrived but I reckon that single signing kept us in the Championship that season...?
Steve Cook on 08:41 - Aug 10 with 2439 viewsBlue_Castello

Steve Cook on 22:48 - Aug 9 by PunteR

We are a better team with him in it then without him . Its a plus. So what if he's got a 2 year deal as long as he does a job. We've hardly got players coming through the ranks to replace him in a years time.
Its where we are atm isnt it ?

Exactly in an ideal world we buy young and sell for a profit but that ship has sailed this season in no small part due to the last 8 years of transfer dealings and the lack of quality coming through the academy.

We desperately need players of Championship quality who will hit the ground running or we are relegated, simple as because that team and display at Watford will not improve without the required players. Begovic, Cook and Colback are exactly what we need we just need to focus on survival , if we stay up there's more leeway in the budget next year and the TV money increases by 45%, well that's the figure I've seen quoted on here.

We still need at least another 3 players to integrate into the squad and then I think we can actually compete, let's worry about this season first and foremost, even if we get relegated players like Colback and Cook will give you 100 % and probably a decent chance of promotion, don't forget the FFP rules are totally different in League One as Ipswich have found to their benefit, once they got a decent manager and new owners they were sorted.

Bottom line if we are not going to sign players like Colback and Cook then we might as well have accepted relegation last Season.
Steve Cook on 08:46 - Aug 10 with 2402 viewsslmrstid

Steve Cook on 08:36 - Aug 10 by Rs_Holy

Yeah I'm thinking he might have a Danny Cullip effect on the defence??? The 1 season Danny had at QPR he transformed the leaky defence (it seemed single handedly).
We went into that season with Damion Stewart and Zesh Rehman as the 1st choice CB's but it was apparent after a couple of games that we were headed for the trap door with those 2 together in the same team... He got chucked out when Tango and Cash arrived but I reckon that single signing kept us in the Championship that season...?

Danny Cullip and Adam Bolder transformed the spine of that team. Neither of them really managed to hit the same heights after the T&C takeover and bigger/better players started arriving, but without their input we may well have sunk into League One and T&C never happened.
Steve Cook on 11:43 - Aug 10 with 2110 viewsMalintabuk

Steve Cook on 21:33 - Aug 9 by Pikey

Buys time for the youngsters and his experience will rub off. Good signing along with Colback.
Stay up reap benefits of new tv deal next year plus expensive year in accounts drops out of FFP.
All on all sensible stuff.

This in a nutshell
Think it is imperative staying up, or at least trying to, this season
We messed up 30 years ago in the Premier when the big sky money came in and we were relegated, let us at least try and not do that again
I remember Frank McKlintock arriving from Aresnal being touted as past it, and the guy was superb for us.... so welcome Steve and good luck.
On a side note, not sure what the issue is with Austin, if we treated him badly then that was a shame, but Jesus man move on.
Steve Cook on 11:49 - Aug 10 with 2055 viewsQPRSteve

I have seen some ridiculous clickbait but this one takes the biscuit:

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/08/10/neco-williams-sends-heartfelt-messa

โ€œAll the best, Cookie.โ€
Steve Cook on 12:41 - Aug 10 with 1931 viewsNorthernr

Like the "pay as you play deal" there are some wonderful things you just know this message board is going to throw up. Guaranteed every signing over 30 will be compared to Hill and Derry, that's a given, but nice to see Frank McLintock getting a shout. Tony Currie sometimes comes in here as well.

Another is the idea that signing players over 30 will actually help us be a development club because they'll influence and rub off on the others. McClaren loved that one, making out like bringing in Geoff Cameron and loaning Ryan Manning to Rotherham was actually great for Ryan, picking Hemed up front and ignoring Bright etc.

1 - These players are here because we've offered 2/3 year deals they wouldn't get anywhere else.
2 - They're not here to coach.
3 - There are, as it's fcking blatantly obvious, no kids here to help and develop. That's why we've got to sign these players. Joe Gubbins will still be Joe Gubbins two years from now whether Steve Cook talks to him or not.
Steve Cook on 12:54 - Aug 10 with 1883 viewsPaddyhoops

Good signing and cut above the average at this level.
Not really bothered at this particular time about blooding youngsters. We donโ€™t have any so itโ€™s not an issue.
I just want to show up at a game without feeling an acute sense of embarrassment at what weโ€™re producing.
Hopefully he can show some of our shirkers a thing or two about application and pride .
Steve Cook on 14:37 - Aug 10 with 1701 viewsSydneyRs

Steve Cook on 04:17 - Aug 10 by larsricchi

Nice of Chaz to chime in

Perhaps he was referring to his own move here?
Steve Cook on 14:42 - Aug 10 with 1679 viewsJordanFoster

Steve Cook on 12:41 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Like the "pay as you play deal" there are some wonderful things you just know this message board is going to throw up. Guaranteed every signing over 30 will be compared to Hill and Derry, that's a given, but nice to see Frank McLintock getting a shout. Tony Currie sometimes comes in here as well.

Another is the idea that signing players over 30 will actually help us be a development club because they'll influence and rub off on the others. McClaren loved that one, making out like bringing in Geoff Cameron and loaning Ryan Manning to Rotherham was actually great for Ryan, picking Hemed up front and ignoring Bright etc.

1 - These players are here because we've offered 2/3 year deals they wouldn't get anywhere else.
3 - There are, as it's fcking blatantly obvious, no kids here to help and develop. That's why we've got to sign these players. Joe Gubbins will still be Joe Gubbins two years from now whether Steve Cook talks to him or not.

This x100.

Am a bit unfussed about the signing, turned us down a few months ago after giving his word but okay we need bodies.

Another over the age of 30 that has to be parachuted in on a multi-year deal because we're so desperate. I could be wrong but I can't remember there being a queue to get him either, yet for some reason we're acting like Maldini has walked into the building? Is this is what we've become?

As you say Clive, we talk like we've got this incredible generation of players coming through that he needs to mentor, there's fck all to work with. We're fine on that regard.

Don't get me started on the stupid PR line about asking Begovic about what it's like here, the whole place is burning down, the fans are in disarray, players want to leave.
Steve Cook on 14:51 - Aug 10 with 1658 viewsDeanoMD

He could be the next Clint Hill or knowing our luck the next Chris Samba.....
Steve Cook on 14:51 - Aug 10 with 1654 viewsdenhamhoop2

Steve Cook on 08:36 - Aug 10 by Rs_Holy

Might have had something to do with DiCanio and his tactics and a more useful midfield than we currently have. Blackstock up front running himself into the ground with Mahon and Liegertwood as double defensive set up to cover for the weakness at the back rely on Cook Buszaky and Rowly to provide a bit of quality to make up for Rehman/Curtis and Barker at the back
Steve Cook on 14:52 - Aug 10 with 1650 viewsterryb

I think it's time to stop pretending that the club policy is to sign/develop players & sell for profit! I believe that it was theoretically, but that is now just a hope rather than a desire.

Since Eze left us, the club has allowed every team manager to sign who they personally wanted, disregarding the stated aims of senior management. For a while this resulted in Rangers having players that could command a reasonable fee (but never as high as many felt was warranted), but once our owners are given a slight glimpse of progression, they forget all of their earlier failures & are ready to gamble the crown jewells (again)!

Signing Steve Cook was IMO a necessity as he will be able to compete for us at this level. Ideally I would have preferred a gamble on the Wycombe or Peterborough defenders, but we are now past that point & why would they consider joining us?

The worst part of this, is that it would appear that only players in decline are willing to join us, while younger players look at us & decide they are better off to stay put or sign for a more stable club.
Steve Cook on 15:08 - Aug 10 with 1555 viewsR_from_afar

Steve Cook on 12:41 - Aug 10 by Northernr

You omitted:
4 - They will be a source of spare parts for JCS.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024