Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we all a bit reassured? 18:32 - Sep 2 with 12224 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Far from safe obviously, but I’m reassured that we are far from doomed.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 2:09]
Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:05 - Sep 2 with 2209 viewsMatch82

Are we all a bit reassured? on 20:28 - Sep 2 by terryb

I'm a lot happier with us Baz!

I always thought there were more than three teams worse than us, but I had to seriously question that after the Watford debacle. We have six (when fit) centre halves competing for the three available positions. What an improvement that is!

We are playing with the ball on the ground far more than I expected & that makes be a happy man! I also feel that our bench is far stronger than they are given credit for. The younger players give us far more than the routine subs that we made last season.

I'm assuming (but not knowing) that we have six players away on international duty this week - Kakay, Fox, Smyth, Chair, Armstrong & Dykes. It's quite a while since I can remember that amount selected.

Another forty one games to go, but I'm no longer dreading watching us!

Exactly how I feel, and well put
Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:08 - Sep 2 with 2198 viewsrbee

I am not as optimistic as Gareth but think we shall survive the season.

The additions of Begovic, Fox, Cook and Colback has made us stronger defensively whilst Armstrong, Smyth, Chair and Willock will cause any team problems.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:21 - Sep 2 with 2138 viewsLazyFan

I am still worried; we have beaten two teams in freefall. Cardiff is worse than us, and Begovic did a MoM performance to help us beat Boro.

We gave away too many chances against Boro; Begovic should be getting 9/10 for that performance. All it missed was a penalty save and scoring from a corner in the last minute while playing with a broken arm.

I notice two new things about Smyth that has improved his game. First, he knows which positions to go into, he's tactically correct most of the time without being told. Second he can do game management better, tactical fouls, getting free kicks when needed, taking players on in the last third and not before. He never had these the first time he was with us. But now he has added all this to his game, which is why now he is a Championship class winger.

Another thing I noticed, which we may have an option on is when JCS and Dunne are back, then Kakay can also possibly play not only as a reserve defender but also as a defensive midfielder. As he is able to carry the ball and also put tackles in hard in that area. So, if Field or Colback get injured, he could fill in. Kakay is more versatile than a "Zelic" and is always available.

I also learned that Kolli can win the ball, but the rest of the team is not used to him yet. Willock had to be told by Gareth to go over to Kolli and try to get onto the knockdowns. That needs to be sorted otherwise, what's the point of Kolli winning those headers?

I do like the way Wildthing subbed Chair before he got a 2nd yellow; that was very clever.

I expect to see Willock come good and replace Armstrong in the team when Dykes returns. Then those 3 (Chair, Willock, Dykes) are allowed to run riot, with Armstrong and Kolli being let loose as subs at the end of a match.

I'm not sure how Kelmen gets into this team now, though. Same with Adomah, bringing Duke-McKenna on instead, for me, spells the end of Adomah. And the same with the lesser spotted Richards, who expect will be another JET.

We still need a proper Striker for goals (as the team lacks goals), a pacy RWB and a player-maker in case Chair gets injured, as we rely too much on him. That's 3 players; we are short to ensure survival. Possible to get the last two in from the players without a club market, but not really sure such a thing exists for a Striker; otherwise, he would have been snapped up by now!

I would guess that we sign a striker on loan in Jan, we can do that by differing the payment until next season. Naughy that, but I guess it could be sneaked past the EFL that way.

zzzzzzzzzz

Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:40 - Sep 2 with 2076 viewsconnell10

Are we all a bit reassured? on 20:42 - Sep 2 by DejR_vu

I think we’ve shown enough to see we can be competitive and have a chance. What, I think, will define our season is who gets injured and for how long.

I think that's been our lot for the last few seasons! That new fitness guy could be our best signing.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:49 - Sep 2 with 2035 viewsqprxtc

I was reassured when I was ten and had my first snog that I was never going to worry about getting off with anyone.

In my twenties I went twelve years without a bird and few opportunities inbetween.

I’m now happily married. Not sure my Mrs thinks the same but here we are.

Long way to salvation and some desperate times in the middle and no life jacket.

Bingo isn’t a house.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:54 - Sep 2 with 2021 viewssmudgehoop

From LazyFan:

"I expect to see Willock come good and replace Armstrong in the team when Dykes returns. Then those 3 (Chair, Willock, Dykes) are allowed to run riot, with Armstrong and Kolli being let loose as subs at the end of a match."

Attacking wise, I'd be reassured if this happens.

Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:11 - Sep 2 with 1968 viewsChrisNW6

Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:54 - Sep 2 by smudgehoop

From LazyFan:

"I expect to see Willock come good and replace Armstrong in the team when Dykes returns. Then those 3 (Chair, Willock, Dykes) are allowed to run riot, with Armstrong and Kolli being let loose as subs at the end of a match."

Attacking wise, I'd be reassured if this happens.

If Willock is replacing Armstrong, who is Dykes replacing?

I think a front three of Chair, Dykes, Willock is a while away right now and would be too attacking. Small steps needed and we need to stick with Dozzell, Field and Colback.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:15 - Sep 2 with 1957 viewssmudgehoop

Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:11 - Sep 2 by ChrisNW6

If Willock is replacing Armstrong, who is Dykes replacing?

I think a front three of Chair, Dykes, Willock is a while away right now and would be too attacking. Small steps needed and we need to stick with Dozzell, Field and Colback.

Good point, well made.

Login to get fewer ads

Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:18 - Sep 2 with 1949 viewsdavman

Are we all a bit reassured? on 19:11 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

Will know more after 10 games, but I feel miles better than I did before the depressingly predictable Watford debacle.

Caveats: Cardiff and Boro have got 5 points between them in 10 games, although obviously we contributed to those poor records, and any away win is a good win. But mostly, strength in depth. We have almost none. Take Smyth and Armstrong out and we have likely the slowest team in the league.

BUT, I thought we'd have 0 or 1 points at this stage. To have 6, and to have deserved a few more, is encouraging.

This.

We have 6 more points that I thought and that is great - just 39 more to go in 41 games.

BUT, we are one or two injuries away from having entirely zero threat. Smyth is absolutely vital to us because Albert is utterly shot and the only other RB option is Ozzie - not a disaster, but a huge step down. No Armstrong leaves Dykes very isolated and there are still no signs of life in Willock aside the lovely turn in our box to retain possession.

Make no bones about it, after Oxford and Watford, this team was on target for the lowest points tally the Championship has seen. Fox, Cook and Colback have made an amazing difference, but what happens if (when) they are out? Also, what have they done to the FFP calc? Are we back on target, or do we STILL need to make money in the January window?

Who knows?

It is an OK first eleven playing well at the moment, but it really is paper thin.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:10 - Sep 3 with 1863 viewsHunterhoop

U RRRRRRRRRRRRRSssss!
Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:22 - Sep 3 with 1821 viewsdistortR

Are we all a bit reassured? on 22:49 - Sep 2 by qprxtc

I was reassured when I was ten and had my first snog that I was never going to worry about getting off with anyone.

In my twenties I went twelve years without a bird and few opportunities inbetween.

I’m now happily married. Not sure my Mrs thinks the same but here we are.

Long way to salvation and some desperate times in the middle and no life jacket.

Bingo isn’t a house.

how did you fit twelve years into your twenties??
Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:31 - Sep 3 with 1789 viewsPunteR

yes.
Colback and Cook signings have made a difference.
Looong season ahead though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:33 - Sep 3 with 1796 viewsHoopsie

If anyone not feeling a tad more reassured I don’t know what our players must do

- a change of formation after Watford got us playing better with the players we have and a win in Cardiff
- three consecutive narrow defeats including one in a cup game where we played like what we did, didn’t panic, defended well, had chances and came close to getting something from the games
- were dangerous against Ipswich and Southampton and most agreed were unlucky not to get something out of those games
- with key players out like Dunne and Dykes missing last two, Willock still working on his fitness, Clarke-Salter finishing a game and leaving the field upright
- finally converting the chances into goal against Middlesbrough, well deserved win and a clean sheet
- 6 points from 5 games, sitting pretty on 17th
- a big difference from last season are commitment, giving 100% and motivated
- players like Kakay and Dozell playing their best for QPR, Smyth, Colback, Fox and Cook are shrewd additions, Armstrong having a breakthrough season
- fringe development players stepping up with Kolli a great prospect, Bala, Aoraha

Season is still young, lots can happen, but we are currently in a good place after Watford and slowly improving and being consistent in our play and that is something very encouraging and reassuring
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 0:43]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:39 - Sep 3 with 1780 viewsCLAREMAN1995

We are playing much better and having 2 wins is massive right now .The break might hurt our momentum but it will help our walking wounded and new tacticts by GA.
However we are still wide open and only for our keeper they could have scored 4 or 5 today.
A few penalty shouts were ignored by the ref thankfully .
If Cook is fine and Jimmy back we will be way more solid.
What did the LFW members think of Willock today .I thought he looked very slow and made a few tired sloppy passes .Not sure he is buying in to our system unfortunatly
Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:48 - Sep 3 with 1754 viewsHoopsie

I think Willock is buying in slowly, he is not going anywhere after the transfer window closed, and coming on as a substitute tell me that at least Ainsworth is putting his trust in Willock - we were defending a 2 goal lead and hadn’t won the game yet, so any players being sub in must be trusted to finish the game IMHO
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 0:48]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:53 - Sep 3 with 1740 viewsCiderwithRsie

I just like this side. Potential to get much better IMO and heading in the right direction.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:55 - Sep 3 with 1735 viewsHunterhoop

Are we all a bit reassured? on 00:53 - Sep 3 by CiderwithRsie

I just like this side. Potential to get much better IMO and heading in the right direction.

Exactly.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 03:02 - Sep 3 with 1645 viewsMatch82

Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:18 - Sep 2 by davman

This.

We have 6 more points that I thought and that is great - just 39 more to go in 41 games.

BUT, we are one or two injuries away from having entirely zero threat. Smyth is absolutely vital to us because Albert is utterly shot and the only other RB option is Ozzie - not a disaster, but a huge step down. No Armstrong leaves Dykes very isolated and there are still no signs of life in Willock aside the lovely turn in our box to retain possession.

Make no bones about it, after Oxford and Watford, this team was on target for the lowest points tally the Championship has seen. Fox, Cook and Colback have made an amazing difference, but what happens if (when) they are out? Also, what have they done to the FFP calc? Are we back on target, or do we STILL need to make money in the January window?

Who knows?

It is an OK first eleven playing well at the moment, but it really is paper thin.

I hope they don't get injured, but I feel like the last month has changed the spirit and attitude in the squad in general and we are better placed not to fall apart than we were a month ago
Are we all a bit reassured? on 06:06 - Sep 3 with 1546 viewsqprd

Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:18 - Sep 2 by davman

This.

Who knows?

On the flip side, we essentially have 3 players coming back in dykes willock and dunne

Albert is probably shot but if I reckon he could do a job if he’s asked to play once every 5 matches

Really happy SDM kolli and lakreche(?) got and are getting minutes… we don’t have much depth so we need to basically develop that from within and only way that will happen is by giving them minutes
Are we all a bit reassured? on 06:25 - Sep 3 with 1526 viewsQPROslo

A bit reassured. We look a very improved team from that terrible opening day performance. From looking like we were big favourites for the bottom 3, now past the summer window we are playing a very much improved and well organised game, we look to have a reasonable chance of staying up. All credit to Gareth and his team. I wanted him to go after Watford but the change since motivated by the players, Dobson or whoever has been a huge improvement. The style, organisation, the new signings have all made a big positive improvement, Armstrong and Dozzell have upped their game considerably.

But we have a thin squad, so injuries are a big worry. FFP means we may still need to make a big sale or 2 in January, and hope we have time to bring in some low cost adequate replacements. We have found a way of putting in strong and sometimes winning performances away, but we still need to find a way to win at Home. Adding a Dykes or Willock to yesterday's and the Saints start 11 by leaving out a more defensive player, could easily leave us exposed on the counter with our lack of pace defensively. Hope we can put on repeat yesterday's feat of getting 3 points from tight games, sure there will be plenty more of those.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 07:16 - Sep 3 with 1458 viewsBushRanger82

No.
One sniff of an injury crisis will have us all running for the hills, mark my words.

Steering clear of too many injuries will be key.
We have a fairly good 1st team, but a very poor squad.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2023 7:20]
Are we all a bit reassured? on 07:31 - Sep 3 with 1443 viewsHastings_Hoops

Are we all a bit reassured? on 23:15 - Sep 2 by smudgehoop

Good point, well made.

And I don’t think Willock carries any future value for QPR, whereas Armstrong does (gets better by the month) - Need to play Armstrong, keep him happy and extend his contract.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 07:48 - Sep 3 with 1384 viewsnix

Are we all a bit reassured? on 06:25 - Sep 3 by QPROslo

A bit reassured. We look a very improved team from that terrible opening day performance. From looking like we were big favourites for the bottom 3, now past the summer window we are playing a very much improved and well organised game, we look to have a reasonable chance of staying up. All credit to Gareth and his team. I wanted him to go after Watford but the change since motivated by the players, Dobson or whoever has been a huge improvement. The style, organisation, the new signings have all made a big positive improvement, Armstrong and Dozzell have upped their game considerably.

But we have a thin squad, so injuries are a big worry. FFP means we may still need to make a big sale or 2 in January, and hope we have time to bring in some low cost adequate replacements. We have found a way of putting in strong and sometimes winning performances away, but we still need to find a way to win at Home. Adding a Dykes or Willock to yesterday's and the Saints start 11 by leaving out a more defensive player, could easily leave us exposed on the counter with our lack of pace defensively. Hope we can put on repeat yesterday's feat of getting 3 points from tight games, sure there will be plenty more of those.

Good post. I’m not sure we can introduce Willock or Dykes for a midfielder at the moment. They’re protecting our defence and making us more solid through teams playing through the middle. One thing I’ve noticed is that teams mark up on the left and right, doubling up on Chair and Smyth. For the sake of variety (because eventually if you play exactly the same every week you get found out) and to give him a rest we could have Chair on the bench and play Willock through the middle and get Smyth to cut in with pace rather than go on the outside and play those balls into Dykes that he can run onto which I think are his bigger strength than trying to find space in a tight penalty area.

Or start with Dykes and bring Armstrong on when defenders are tiring at about 60 minutes when he could really punish them.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 10:19 - Sep 3 with 1186 viewsed_83

It would have been hard to get any worse after Oxford and Watford, so on that basis I’m feeling better. As others have said, though, we’re only an injury or two away from fielding players who are evidently not Championship standard; lose any of our starting 11 for any length of time and we’re screwed.

The big positive for me, though, is the energy and mentality on the pitch. Our biggest problem over the last few seasons has always been that we crumble like wet cardboard whenever things go wrong, but something across the last 4 games feels different: adding Begovic Cook and Colback (or maybe just Ainsworth’s methods clicking with the squad) has made us harder to play against, more willing to scrap for it, less meek and liable to collapse.

Keep that intensity, keep fighting for every point and keep key players fit, and I reckon there’ll be three worse teams than us this season.
Are we all a bit reassured? on 10:34 - Sep 3 with 1166 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I didn't think we were doomed to begin with as we had some players who were capable but had phoned it in. What's reassuring is that Gareth has deployed a system that makes the best use of the limited resources at his disposal, and we're not playing the agricultural football that many predicted he would bring. It's also encouraging to see some organisation, spirit and endeavour on display. However, the squad lacks depth so we need key players to stay fit. Fingers crossed, Cook will be ok after the international break.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024