Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrongs delight 11:03 - Sep 20 with 4041 viewspaulhoop2

I’m really in love with this boy did you see him sprinting from
The dug out after the equaliser? Fantastic to see !

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Armstrongs delight on 11:16 - Sep 20 with 3945 viewsnix

Yes, I spotted that. It's good to see him really enjoying being part of things.
Armstrongs delight on 11:19 - Sep 20 with 3912 viewsgazza1

I did too, good lad.
Armstrongs delight on 11:36 - Sep 20 with 3855 viewsbosh67

He is a great example of the passion the club needs but genuinely why don't they put him together with Paul Furlong to learn how to get into the state of mind to finish calmly? He definitely needs a former striking mentor. Surely that would be a legitimate cost for the club if they want a player worth many millions rather than a player who could end up simply under achieving. We've seen it before but we have a player with all the right ingredients here, but lacking that mentor figure.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 11:37]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrongs delight on 11:50 - Sep 20 with 3780 viewsted_hendrix

Armstrongs delight on 11:36 - Sep 20 by bosh67

He is a great example of the passion the club needs but genuinely why don't they put him together with Paul Furlong to learn how to get into the state of mind to finish calmly? He definitely needs a former striking mentor. Surely that would be a legitimate cost for the club if they want a player worth many millions rather than a player who could end up simply under achieving. We've seen it before but we have a player with all the right ingredients here, but lacking that mentor figure.

I guess he's just excitable maybe? I made a comment last night that he needs coaching in front of goal which he does.
Smashing lad by all accounts and obviously likes being here.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Armstrongs delight on 12:11 - Sep 20 with 3669 viewsLandshark

I saw he put on Instagram a picture of Lyndon and said "Thank you" on it. He was probably quite relieved he scored to take the pressure off that awful miss in the first half.
Armstrongs delight on 12:55 - Sep 20 with 3525 viewsFrankRightguard

Armstrongs delight on 11:36 - Sep 20 by bosh67

We had exactly this conversation walking back to the car last night. Who better to coach him in all aspects of centre forward play?
Armstrongs delight on 13:40 - Sep 20 with 3351 viewsBeckenhamhoop

I can’t get the thought out of my head that Armstrong is the new Angelo Balanta. Full of promise but in 10 years time he’s playing for Boreham Wood. I hope I’m wrong.
Armstrongs delight on 14:15 - Sep 20 with 3244 viewsPhilmyRs

Armstrongs delight on 13:40 - Sep 20 by Beckenhamhoop

I can’t get the thought out of my head that Armstrong is the new Angelo Balanta. Full of promise but in 10 years time he’s playing for Boreham Wood. I hope I’m wrong.

A big difference is physical attributes. SA has body muscle and speed which aren't really comparable. He's one of the quickest I've seen. Assuming you do ok for injuries, it's usually early 30s when your pace starts to go so Armstrong has a good 10 years plus of using his pace to scare defenders. What he needs to learn are coachable skills - hold up work, timing of runs, hitting the target with finishing, getting better in the air. etc That will come. It should really be getting developed on loan in the league below but our current situation scuppered those plans which is a shame. An Armstrong with 30+ games in the league below and a few goals would be a different player for us next season.

Balanta showed some decent touches, fairly skilful player but he never had the pace of Armgstrong which is the real difference for me. When you don't have the physical attributes you either really need to work hard and put a shift in like Chair does and become a creative/attacking midfielder, or you need to be a workaholic and continuously look to improve and develop (Lampard type). I'm not sure Balanta ever went down either of those roads.
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrongs delight on 14:31 - Sep 20 with 3167 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Armstrongs delight on 14:15 - Sep 20 by PhilmyRs

A big difference is physical attributes. SA has body muscle and speed which aren't really comparable. He's one of the quickest I've seen. Assuming you do ok for injuries, it's usually early 30s when your pace starts to go so Armstrong has a good 10 years plus of using his pace to scare defenders. What he needs to learn are coachable skills - hold up work, timing of runs, hitting the target with finishing, getting better in the air. etc That will come. It should really be getting developed on loan in the league below but our current situation scuppered those plans which is a shame. An Armstrong with 30+ games in the league below and a few goals would be a different player for us next season.

Balanta showed some decent touches, fairly skilful player but he never had the pace of Armgstrong which is the real difference for me. When you don't have the physical attributes you either really need to work hard and put a shift in like Chair does and become a creative/attacking midfielder, or you need to be a workaholic and continuously look to improve and develop (Lampard type). I'm not sure Balanta ever went down either of those roads.

I didn’t mean a literal physical or positional comparison. I just meant in terms of the possibly misplaced hope (or even hype) invested in them by QPR fans only to turn out to be really not that good.
Armstrongs delight on 14:42 - Sep 20 with 3136 viewsRuislipHoop

Armstrongs delight on 13:40 - Sep 20 by Beckenhamhoop

Unfortunately he has no finesse,he plays like a bull in a china shop.
Armstrongs delight on 14:43 - Sep 20 with 3131 viewsneavohoops

Armstrong is just great for the club, really hope he keeps developing.

I think Dykes needs to start for now, with Armstrong coming on last 20 against tired defenders.

Think we are really going to struggle getting them both in the starting 11.

Dykes, Armstrong, Smyth, Chair, Colback, Cook, Begovic, Fox, Paal, Field. That’s enough to keep us comfortably mid table this year if everyone stays fit.
Armstrongs delight on 15:35 - Sep 20 with 3021 viewsPhilmyRs

Armstrongs delight on 14:31 - Sep 20 by Beckenhamhoop

I didn’t mean a literal physical or positional comparison. I just meant in terms of the possibly misplaced hope (or even hype) invested in them by QPR fans only to turn out to be really not that good.

Didn't think you were comparing them as players. I meant the reason I don't think he will go the way of Balanta is the physical aspect. You have everything to work with - e.g. strength, pace - with Armstrong. I see the only way as up with him although would really like him out on loan developing but understand finances mean he's required here. Balanta didn't have the natural pace so it was always about hard work and building on his skillset which I just didn't think he had in him.

Obviously risk SA just doesn't have it in him to improve the timing of runs, finishing and hold up game but I think he has more chance of doing that (especially judging by his personality) than Balanta had.
Armstrongs delight on 15:41 - Sep 20 with 2988 viewsloftboy

Anyone remember Antonio Germain ? Scored in his debut, thought he was going to be the new Gallen, can’t remember anything about him after that.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Armstrongs delight on 15:55 - Sep 20 with 2949 viewsPaddyhoops

He was caught offside quite a few times last night and tgat was a big miss.
He’s composure and passing has improved though .
Jury’s still out .
Armstrongs delight on 16:48 - Sep 20 with 2835 viewsstantheman10

Some of you are unbelievable! Armstrong is just 20 has played a handful of games in probably the hardest league in the world and your expecting miracles from him. If he finished every chance he got he wouldn't be with us and probably sitting on Chelscums bench. Let's be thankful that we've found ourselves a committed player who obviously loves playing football and has potential so let's give him this season at least before putting pressure on him ffs.
Armstrongs delight on 17:25 - Sep 20 with 2769 viewsHooping_Mad

Armstrongs delight on 16:48 - Sep 20 by stantheman10

Some of you are unbelievable! Armstrong is just 20 has played a handful of games in probably the hardest league in the world and your expecting miracles from him. If he finished every chance he got he wouldn't be with us and probably sitting on Chelscums bench. Let's be thankful that we've found ourselves a committed player who obviously loves playing football and has potential so let's give him this season at least before putting pressure on him ffs.

Really he had a poor game, it's got to be ok to discuss that on a forum, no?

Not digging him or writing him off but he should old enough to know his performance will be discussed.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Armstrongs delight on 17:52 - Sep 20 with 2688 viewsBurnleyhoop

Armstrongs delight on 16:48 - Sep 20 by stantheman10

That’s the point though is it not?

He has only played a few games at this level and he doesn’t look ready for it. Ideally he should have had at least a season on loan in league one and got 30+ games under his belt.

The other and more concerning issue is the clamp down by referees on his “aggressive” approach. If he is unable to use his physicality and speed to do the business because the ref keeps awarding free kicks, it eliminates his greatest asset and leaves him fairly impotent, as there isn’t much else to his game.

I do love his attitude and desire, but it could become his biggest downfall if he doesn’t keep it under control and use the assets he has in a controlled and measured way.
Armstrongs delight on 18:51 - Sep 20 with 2533 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think we all agree, he's a likeable lad and his enthusiasm is infectious; especially given some of the miserable gits we've had playing for us! However, 20 years of age or not, he remains at best, a work in progress.

Now there are some things you can (hopefully) teach and some things you just can't.

Firstly, his tendency to get caught offside is something that ought to be addressed asap. It's not as if the offside trap is new to him upon getting into the first XI, so it's down to him to wise up. Maybe his enthusiasm is overtaking his composure, but this really ought to be easy, then again, Bonne was several years older and perpetually offside!

As for finishing, last night's was a howler, but every striker has a few in their locker, but while you can practice, you just cannot teach it However, while I have not seen him in the flesh and thus, based on what little I have seen of him (a clip of him playing for the ROI U21s and QPR highlights on Boston TV) is it me, or does he tend to shoot at the keeper too much?

If so, then he maybe needs to shoot that bit earlier when in on goal, when the target is bigger and the keeper smaller. When 12 year old Michael Owen scored that goal against the Argies in the 98 WC, he shot very early whereas I think, Sinclair would have looked to go in closer. And of what I've seen, his touch can make a chance harder and of course, the keeper looks bigger and he's narrowed the target down when he tries to get close to the goal.

At least there is something to work on there, and for me, while his potential is not and never will be on a par (yet) with Clive Allen, he is way above other strikers we have had come through the youth ranks since then.

Bloody good luck to him, but as said above, with LD back, now is the time to put him on the bench a bit.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Armstrongs delight on 20:09 - Sep 20 with 2409 viewsqueensparker

It’s not exactly the modern way, but he needs time. I don’t buy the “he can’t shoot”, the one that hit both posts against Ipswich would have been a great finish. He just needs time and coaching and tbh I’d rather it was in our team than with Stevenage or someone. He’s great to watch and a great lad. With our threadbare squad we need some optimistic rays of sunshine.

He also scares the shite out of every defence as they know a 50/50 ball behind them means trouble. We’ve been pretty woeful at seeing those balls, there were loads of times last night where we wasted chances to get him in behind. If we can somehow find a way to start with him and Dykes that is going to be tough to defend against

Give the lad a break
Armstrongs delight on 20:42 - Sep 20 with 2344 viewsRuislipHoop

Armstrongs delight on 20:09 - Sep 20 by queensparker

It’s not exactly the modern way, but he needs time. I don’t buy the “he can’t shoot”, the one that hit both posts against Ipswich would have been a great finish. He just needs time and coaching and tbh I’d rather it was in our team than with Stevenage or someone. He’s great to watch and a great lad. With our threadbare squad we need some optimistic rays of sunshine.

He also scares the shite out of every defence as they know a 50/50 ball behind them means trouble. We’ve been pretty woeful at seeing those balls, there were loads of times last night where we wasted chances to get him in behind. If we can somehow find a way to start with him and Dykes that is going to be tough to defend against

Give the lad a break

It’s not like we are directly criticising him but on a fans forum we should all be allowed to voice our opinions,I personally do not think he will cut it but I would love to be proved wrong.
Armstrongs delight on 20:56 - Sep 20 with 2291 viewsbaz_qpr

A couple of points on the offside thing.

I sit at the back of W so I get a good look at what Armstrong is doing. Some of these offsides are not down to him they are down to his team mates, Often his spinning and looking for that early ball, but the player behind takes an extra touch or comes inside, he then has to get back onside and they are then hitting the ball. If the ball had been played at the right moment he would have been on and probably in.

The other thing is that he looks like he is being coached to at times stand in an offside position, step up and the curve his run, sometimes he gets this right, sometimes he does not and sometimes the Lino has got it wrong.

He had a poor game last night with a bad miss but especially first half those behind him were really not helping in their passing choices. Our wins have come with him in the team and what he gives you which you won't get from Dykes is the opposition having to play 5-10 yards deeper and that is the space the midfield has to exploit and did not do very well last night because both central midfielders were sitting too deep and our back 5 was sitting too deep. We only really got into that game when Dykes came on because we pushed up and went to a 4 at the back and pushed Field further forward
Armstrongs delight on 21:32 - Sep 20 with 2211 viewsqueensparker

Armstrongs delight on 20:42 - Sep 20 by RuislipHoop

It’s not like we are directly criticising him but on a fans forum we should all be allowed to voice our opinions,I personally do not think he will cut it but I would love to be proved wrong.

No shade mate, at the moment it’s 50/50 he’ll make it I agree. He’s been shoved into the spotlight way too early and it’s going to be tough on him. But compare him to eg Kelman who is totally anonymous and the same age with a lot more league experience you have to admit he has something about him
Armstrongs delight on 00:47 - Sep 21 with 2036 viewsLazyFan

Sincs will score the next time he has a similar chance. He is still learning and will get better.

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024