Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 56609 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:38 - Nov 8 with 4159 viewsGalileo

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:50 - Nov 7 by LazyFan

Agreed, there is no point.

We need a new stadium, which means either the council will come on board or move out of the borough.

We can see now that with 3 prem clubs on their doorstep, they feel they don't need us, so, we are more hassle than we are worth and can go do one.

Therefore, we shall need to move out to where a council wants us and we can build a stadium. If, we don't do this, we are dead.

We need a 40K stadium, we need to be large to attract the players and fans and we need it to be multi-purpose so, we can bring in revenue weekly no matter what week that is.

One great achievement from the owner is the new training ground. This is close to state-of-the-art (not quite) and this does help us with players.

Along with the London thing, of course. I mean if you are French and will only speak French and don't really like English, you may put up with your hubby playing in London (as we have many French schools) for a few years to earn the money before slipping back off to France for the final payday and settling down for good. Barbets.

I remember the good old days when players like Andy Gray left Aston Villa for QPR just because we were in London and Brum was terrible to live in. This is the attraction of London to some.

Andy Gray, didn't hang around long though did he ? Scored a cracking brace in a night game against ManU ( think it was them and we won 3-2 ? ) before heading back to Palace a few weeks later.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:54 - Nov 8 with 3715 viewsNewBee

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 19:04 - Nov 7 by GroveR

There's bits of this thread that are like my missus when she wants to knock one of the walls in our house down. When told it's a "load-bearing" wall, she just asks the same question in different ways to different people until it becomes un-load-bearing and she gets the answer she wanted at the start.

How did she react when you called her "overbearing"?

Knocked you through, perhaps?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:03 - Nov 8 with 3705 viewsNewBee

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:50 - Nov 7 by LazyFan

Agreed, there is no point.

We need a new stadium, which means either the council will come on board or move out of the borough.

We can see now that with 3 prem clubs on their doorstep, they feel they don't need us, so, we are more hassle than we are worth and can go do one.

Therefore, we shall need to move out to where a council wants us and we can build a stadium. If, we don't do this, we are dead.

We need a 40K stadium, we need to be large to attract the players and fans and we need it to be multi-purpose so, we can bring in revenue weekly no matter what week that is.

One great achievement from the owner is the new training ground. This is close to state-of-the-art (not quite) and this does help us with players.

Along with the London thing, of course. I mean if you are French and will only speak French and don't really like English, you may put up with your hubby playing in London (as we have many French schools) for a few years to earn the money before slipping back off to France for the final payday and settling down for good. Barbets.

I remember the good old days when players like Andy Gray left Aston Villa for QPR just because we were in London and Brum was terrible to live in. This is the attraction of London to some.

"One great achievement from the owner is the new training ground. This is close to state-of-the-art (not quite) and this does help us with players."

No doubt it's very good and a huge improvement on the old one, but I'm not sure what £20m buys you in the South East these days.

I mean, Leicester City spent £100m on their new Training Ground in 2020:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13559818/leicester-city-training-ground-

And that's in the East Midlands. (Obv)
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:15 - Nov 8 with 3710 viewsSydneyRs

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:38 - Nov 8 by Galileo

Andy Gray, didn't hang around long though did he ? Scored a cracking brace in a night game against ManU ( think it was them and we won 3-2 ? ) before heading back to Palace a few weeks later.

I was there that night, both superb goals.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:24 - Nov 8 with 3695 viewshamptonhillhoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:15 - Nov 8 by SydneyRs

I was there that night, both superb goals.

Me too. Not many though, about 10000? Think there was a train strike and it was on a weird week night, Monday or a Thursday, for some reason
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:33 - Nov 8 with 3663 viewsNewBee

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:15 - Nov 8 by dutch

Yet again NO. How far out of the borough maintains our identity? Hounslow, Perivale, Milton Keynes maybe? The USP of QPR is our location, a truly urban west London club with wonderful transport links, bars, restaurants etc. Brentford prove that you do not need a bigger capacity in the prem, it is almost irrelevant financially. You do need a tidy, attractive ground, and you are right being in London is vital to attract players, but W147 or wherever is hardly London. Make Loftus Road a more comfortable, modern facility, (a boutique anybody) move the offices away to generate more space and revel in who and where we are.

"Brentford prove that you do not need a bigger capacity in the prem, it is almost irrelevant financially."

So long as you're in the Prem, certainly. But the owner is very clear - BFC are simply not capable of being financially viable in the Championship, even with the new stadium.

I mean, the likes of Villa or Leeds weren't breaking-even in the Championship, even when they were filling their 40k stadia.

Or at the other end, there's the example of Rotherham. For all the while they refuse to overspend/go into debt, admirable though that is, they're not capable of sustaining Championship football long-term, hence their yo-yoing up and down.

And that's as a very well run club in a brand new stadium, albeit with a 12k capacity.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 02:24 - Nov 9 with 3600 viewsSydneyRs

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:24 - Nov 8 by hamptonhillhoop

Me too. Not many though, about 10000? Think there was a train strike and it was on a weird week night, Monday or a Thursday, for some reason

Definitely wasn't a big crowd.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 02:42 - Nov 9 with 3591 viewsVancouverHoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:26 - Oct 11 by Gloucs_R

So whilst we go into a 10th year of waiting for a new stadium..... Another club announces a new stadium...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-67052207

Plus Luton...

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2023/may/imagine-the-power/

I'm struggling to think of any club in the southeast with an older stadium, undeveloped, than us now....

Stevenage and Colchester??

Broadhall Way, Stevenage's ground, is about the same age as SAR. It was built from scratch on top of the town's old sewage works.
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 03:23 - Nov 9 with 3574 viewsflynnbo

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 02:42 - Nov 9 by VancouverHoop

Broadhall Way, Stevenage's ground, is about the same age as SAR. It was built from scratch on top of the town's old sewage works.

What a shìthole.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 05:59 - Nov 9 with 3535 viewsHoopsie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:03 - Nov 8 by NewBee

"One great achievement from the owner is the new training ground. This is close to state-of-the-art (not quite) and this does help us with players."

No doubt it's very good and a huge improvement on the old one, but I'm not sure what £20m buys you in the South East these days.

I mean, Leicester City spent £100m on their new Training Ground in 2020:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13559818/leicester-city-training-ground-

And that's in the East Midlands. (Obv)

If you see this simply as a comparison with just the cost obviously 100 million pounds is 5 times more than 20 million

However, just quick glance tells me:

- Heston is about 27 acres, building area is about 4000 m2 (45,000 square feet) - Leicester City's training complex at Seagrave is about 7 times more at 185 acres, and the building area is also at 3-4 times the size

- Heston has 7 training pitches, Seagrave's 21 playing surfaces (including 14 full size pitches) with one having a 499 seater floodlit show pitch

- Seagrave is build on a old gold course, it kept part of the golf course with 9 hole. It also has a swimming pool and restaurant.

- Seagrave has also 22,000 new trees

You can now easily see the difference. The quality of facilities is another thing, but both are first class or state of art (or close to)
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 9:38]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 21:58 - Nov 9 with 3170 viewsChrisNW6

Looking like the HS2 Euston / Old Oak Lane tunnel is now in doubt. Might slow down the regeneration and create some potential different options for the land.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:30 - Nov 10 with 2802 viewsLadbrokeR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:42 - Nov 8 by DavieQPR

The whole thing is not to increase the Away area or even to increase the capacity of a ground we don't fill anyway. The thinking is to improve the size and facilities in the Corporate area. This is to try and turn it into a 'multi purpose' stadium with non football revenues.

Away fans should be high in a corner and the players should resemble airfix soldiers. (Blast from the past )
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:07 - Nov 10 with 2693 viewsActonExile

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:38 - Nov 8 by Galileo

I got thrown out by some horrible jobsworth plod, but got back in when they opened the gates at the end just in time to see his two goals, so they must have been fairly late.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:43 - Nov 10 with 2612 viewsJuzzie

It was a Monday (8th April) and not even a Bank Holiday so a strange date for a game (well before Sky Sports MNF) and did only have 10k attendance so must have been something to cause such a low turn out especially as the whole of the west paddock was closed.

I was there though :)

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:05 - Dec 22 with 1936 viewsQPRConor2000

Back on this thread again haha.

I wonder if they could bring blocks Y1 and Y7 back into use if they replaced the roof around the ground and got rid of the restricted view seats?

[Post edited 22 Dec 2023 18:09]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:55 - Dec 24 with 1430 viewsBoston

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:05 - Dec 22 by QPRConor2000

I wonder if they could bring blocks Y1 and Y7 back into use if they replaced the roof around the ground and got rid of the restricted view seats?

A lot of dough for what would probably be a crowd trouble flashpoint.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:47 - Dec 24 with 1247 viewsMatch82

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:36 - Sep 20 by Rs_Holy

maybe this is the 'talking to the council' comment made by Ruben at the forum the other night...
Look at the view from some of the houses near the Aviva stadium in Dublin...

If a new SA Stand was all glassy and transparent (and quite frankly more attractive than the current stand ) it might be more palatable to residents and the council?
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 13:37]

With the accuracy of some of our passing and shooting it would make it a deathtrap
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:54 - Dec 24 with 1225 viewsbosh67

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:47 - Dec 24 by Match82

With the accuracy of some of our passing and shooting it would make it a deathtrap

Well that's cheered me up tonight!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 19:09 - Dec 24 with 1198 viewslassel

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:05 - Dec 22 by QPRConor2000

As said before, there are plenty of things they *could* do, but it’s only window dressing ultimately and would never recover the original expense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024