Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 57669 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:04 - Sep 25 with 3245 viewsMedwayR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:37 - Sep 25 by CamberleyR

Looking on Google maps, at a rough estimate, to me the Latymer playing fields plot looks about 30-40% bigger than the plot LR sits on. For one thing it's certainly bigger than the plot the LCS sits on.

That site would probably be ideal and probably our very last chance to obtain a site for a new stadium in W12. Just about the right size, close to Loftus Road, little impact on neighbouring sites (i.e.. little residential nearby).

Poll: Who’s better?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:07 - Sep 25 with 3232 viewsNorthernr

Tell you what lads, it's a lovely day for a dig.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:33 - Sep 25 with 3104 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

It's far, far bigger. Looks ideal to me.

When you look at the current site, even with the school land acquired I really can't see how they can do anything remotely major - the houses on Imre close ct way beyond the current line of the school end stand. You can't rotate the pitch because there are houses everywhere. The school land could only ever be used for a separate building of some sort I would have said. Although I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:39 - Sep 25 with 3085 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:04 - Sep 25 by MedwayR

That site would probably be ideal and probably our very last chance to obtain a site for a new stadium in W12. Just about the right size, close to Loftus Road, little impact on neighbouring sites (i.e.. little residential nearby).

It aint gonna happen (unless the council pull the plug on Rubens current plans).
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:04 - Sep 25 with 3019 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:29 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Yes, I forget where they said they were looking at, green reasons were stated (bus journeys) but reading between the lines I think they realised with the new development work in the Bush, Wood Lane is now a prime piece of real estate.

I think they would have trouble selling the land to a developer, the site is designed open space (as is LR) so a stadium might be more palatable than a residential development. It's not within a regeneration area, so another obstacle to developing for anything else.

It might be what they are talking to the council about. If the school can find a suitable playing field site nearer, we could help the Jack Tizzard School by selling them part of the site to stop them needing to move. The local plan has LR in a regeneration area which the council have down as residential lead with the requirement of re providing the community facilities elsewhere in the borough. Would be a neat solution for all potentially.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:19 - Sep 25 with 2968 viewsslmrstid

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:04 - Sep 25 by QPR_Jim

I think they would have trouble selling the land to a developer, the site is designed open space (as is LR) so a stadium might be more palatable than a residential development. It's not within a regeneration area, so another obstacle to developing for anything else.

It might be what they are talking to the council about. If the school can find a suitable playing field site nearer, we could help the Jack Tizzard School by selling them part of the site to stop them needing to move. The local plan has LR in a regeneration area which the council have down as residential lead with the requirement of re providing the community facilities elsewhere in the borough. Would be a neat solution for all potentially.

Quick, someone email Lee Hoos! Before Tesco buy it or something.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:21 - Sep 25 with 2961 viewsNW5Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:04 - Sep 25 by MedwayR

No council in their right mind would or should get rid of playing fields to let billionaires build a football stadium. It would be scandalous.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:24 - Sep 25 with 2945 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:19 - Sep 25 by slmrstid

Quick, someone email Lee Hoos! Before Tesco buy it or something.

Way ahead of you, I've emailed him already. I'm on to phase 2, hunting him down to shout abuse at him.
Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:26 - Sep 25 with 2937 viewsNW5Hoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 03:14 - Sep 24 by Hoopsie

I am wondering what the club would do to add facilities that generate revenue that give all year round usage

Facilities - corporate boxes (existing - renovated and / or new ones added)
- company functions
- seminars and talks
- wedding receptions
- local communities social events

These can be accommodated in South Africa stand due to street front access and traffic flow

Pitch - not sure we really want other usages other than sporting ones (pitch maintenance etc)
- international football matches or other friendlies, cup matches
- other sports - rugby, cricket, baseball, American football / Aussie rules, bocce, lawn bowl, softball
- music festivals
- boxing matches
- exhibition?
- community function - farmers market? Antique fairs?

If school land is purchased we could build a variety of function rooms and conference halls for these events, also maybe specific uses such as
- boutique hotel / guest serviced apartment / Travelodge
- restaurant and cafes / dining halls for catering
- 24 hour fitness centre / gymnasium for local based membership
- theaterette
- QPR museum (Heston?) / hall of fame incorporating QPR club & gift shop (relocated)
- day care centre?
- multimedia hub - reading room / internet
- community multipurpose hall for hire
Probably an auxiliary building or a building annex connected to SA stand and/or school stand

If there is room for remodelling the stand we could convert the school stand into a semi-open amphitheatre by adding a mobile stage (retractable under the stand?) with its double tiers stand holding the audience which can host a variety of events such as
- concerts, song / singing contests
- staging plays and pantomimes
- choral events and oratory presentations
- open cinema
- seminars (fans forum, Ted talks etc)

Ok I think I should stop now 😬
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 3:17]

Loftus Road isn't going to be hosting concerts without a massive rebuild – loading in is virtually impossible. You need *a lot* of access to get a modern stage set up into an arena or stadium. It's one reason why bands play Twickenham – which is the worst equipped and hardest to leave major stadium I've ever been to: they let trucks drive on to the pitch for load-in (band managements know it's a hellhole for fans; but the ease of production building outweighs that). Not even Wembley does that. At QPR they wouldn't even be able to get the trucks within 200 yards of the ground. Sorry.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:30 - Sep 25 with 2918 viewsAkindweevil

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:59 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

I though that, but if you remember the long walk from the old pavillion to the far pitch its a fair distance.

A digression, forgive me..just wondered how many people on this thread went to Latymer? I had assumed I was the only one to have suffered the communal muddy baths after the end of games at the wood lane ground. Mind you I did leave in 78, and I'm not sure if health and safety had been invented then.

Anyway, it would be great if that ground became the new stadium...and I think the headteacher at Latymer is an Rs fan so we might get a good deal. 😉
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:42 - Sep 25 with 2871 viewsjoe90

Yet another failure from this incompetent board. They missed their golden opportunity back in 1908 to feed into the plans for the White City Exhibition. They should resign…and sign a striker before they do.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:52 - Sep 25 with 2818 viewsJevlar

Is it called South Africa Road because if we dig down deep enough we'll get to South Africa?

The new ground/redevelopment/LCS/OOC stadium saga is evergreen on this forum... and I love it!

Up there with flat roofed pubs for my favourite thread.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 25 with 2695 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:42 - Sep 25 by joe90

Yet another failure from this incompetent board. They missed their golden opportunity back in 1908 to feed into the plans for the White City Exhibition. They should resign…and sign a striker before they do.

When my kid sister was very young and coming to Rangers games with me she thought the development was called Whites City because General Smuts was a racist.

And she's the clever one in our family.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:58 - Sep 25 with 2526 viewskensalriser

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:21 - Sep 25 by NW5Hoop

No council in their right mind would or should get rid of playing fields to let billionaires build a football stadium. It would be scandalous.

School playing have been sold off at a rate of knots in the last decade, if not longer. I don't know who they're being sold off too, but I'm prepared to bet it's more for development than nature reserves or any kind of ongoing green space.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:36 - Sep 25 with 2420 viewsNewBee

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:59 - Sep 23 by QPRConor2000

I wonder if the idea is that the club buys up the Jack Tizzard School, move it up the road to where the Army Territorial Centre is and we end up building some kind of events centre/hotel where the school is currently and thats where we end up making extra revenue that way.

Also, we could end up maybe remodelling Loftus Road slightly perhaps as well, I think Portsmouth have done something similar to Fratton Park and that cost them £11.5m and they done it stand by stand.

This is what Ruben suggested about a year ago, if you skip to about 9mins into this video.

[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 19:26]

The key to your owner's thoughts are to be found at 11mins 25 secs: "ROI", that is, Return on Investment.

It's already clear that they not interested in/willing to build a new stadium on a new site - CarGiant or LCS tells you that.

Which leaves two options. First is basically knock down LR and rebuild on the present site, or Two, make better use of what's there now.

First option would cost £100m+ and would likely see capacity reduced (modern H&S, comfort, facilities etc). They could conceivably buy adjoining property to allow for increased capacity, but even if PP was secured and/or local opposition was fended off (both v.unlikely, I'd guess), that would add many more millions to the bill.
Either way, even if the project were to produce an acceptable ROI, the return would still would take decades to materialise. Which is surely way beyond the timescale that your owners or potential buyers deal in.

Which leaves the second approach. And sure, they might be able to move some present functions to Heston and reconfigure some of the stands to allow non-matchday revenues. But even assuming that that is possible, it's only going to take a small bite out of the £1m a month they're chucking at the club to keep the lights on.

Which makes you wonder why they bother? But as I've said before, no-one is going to come in and take the club off their hands without their sacrificing all the equity they've put into it i.e. they'd have to give it away. And even then, there aren't likely to be many takers, considering the club's annual losses.

Consequently I can only think they're taking the Mr.Micawber approach and "hoping that something will turn up", whether that be unearthing the next Brian Clough as manager; or finding another two or three Ezes to fund a new promotion-winniong team; or being approached by some multi-millionaire who's finally getting round to buying the club he's supported since childhood (Jack Walker/John Madejski/Tony Bloom etc).
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:00 - Sep 25 with 2325 viewshubble

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:16 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Latymer are moving from Wood Lane. I doubt we could afford it now though.

Where did you hear this?

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:14 - Sep 25 with 2283 viewsParkRoyalR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:16 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Latymer are moving from Wood Lane. I doubt we could afford it now though.

100% genuine, probably a year or so ago, maybe around end of lockdowns etc,

I bumped into Latymer's Headmaster (who I know by sight as he grew up in Latimer Road) when I was picking up tickets at the Box Office early one afternoon,

Thought that's a bit odd for him to be here during the middle of his working day as was clearly looking up at the stadium on South Africa Road and doing likewise as he walked into the alley cut-through behind Batman Close,

Anyway, site would be an ideal land-swap for us and a slightly easier commute for their coaches on games afternoons as Wood Lane under the Fly-over is a real bottleneck traffic wise.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:21 - Sep 25 with 2249 viewsQPR_Jim

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:36 - Sep 25 by NewBee

The key to your owner's thoughts are to be found at 11mins 25 secs: "ROI", that is, Return on Investment.

It's already clear that they not interested in/willing to build a new stadium on a new site - CarGiant or LCS tells you that.

Which leaves two options. First is basically knock down LR and rebuild on the present site, or Two, make better use of what's there now.

First option would cost £100m+ and would likely see capacity reduced (modern H&S, comfort, facilities etc). They could conceivably buy adjoining property to allow for increased capacity, but even if PP was secured and/or local opposition was fended off (both v.unlikely, I'd guess), that would add many more millions to the bill.
Either way, even if the project were to produce an acceptable ROI, the return would still would take decades to materialise. Which is surely way beyond the timescale that your owners or potential buyers deal in.

Which leaves the second approach. And sure, they might be able to move some present functions to Heston and reconfigure some of the stands to allow non-matchday revenues. But even assuming that that is possible, it's only going to take a small bite out of the £1m a month they're chucking at the club to keep the lights on.

Which makes you wonder why they bother? But as I've said before, no-one is going to come in and take the club off their hands without their sacrificing all the equity they've put into it i.e. they'd have to give it away. And even then, there aren't likely to be many takers, considering the club's annual losses.

Consequently I can only think they're taking the Mr.Micawber approach and "hoping that something will turn up", whether that be unearthing the next Brian Clough as manager; or finding another two or three Ezes to fund a new promotion-winniong team; or being approached by some multi-millionaire who's finally getting round to buying the club he's supported since childhood (Jack Walker/John Madejski/Tony Bloom etc).

"It's already clear that they not interested in/willing to build a new stadium on a new site - CarGiant or LCS tells you that."

You may be right but that's not the proof you seem to think it is. Both locations wouldn't work for various reasons but it wasn't the financials that were the issue, the owners were too keen if anything.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:32 - Sep 25 with 2217 viewsBostonR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:36 - Sep 25 by NewBee

You’re still not paying attention. The Board are not looking to sell because no-one is buying. I doubt very much that a quick ROI is their main priority. They are bankrolling the club and have done since they arrived and have confirmed they intend to hang around.
Their wealth is so significant (in the Billions) that I doubt a ROI is their main driver. They have committed to resolving the ground issue by staying at and redeveloping LR. It’s anyone’s guess what that design and cost will be but that’s the commitment that has been made. Interesting times.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:14 - Sep 25 with 2089 viewshubble

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:14 - Sep 25 by ParkRoyalR

100% genuine, probably a year or so ago, maybe around end of lockdowns etc,

I bumped into Latymer's Headmaster (who I know by sight as he grew up in Latimer Road) when I was picking up tickets at the Box Office early one afternoon,

Thought that's a bit odd for him to be here during the middle of his working day as was clearly looking up at the stadium on South Africa Road and doing likewise as he walked into the alley cut-through behind Batman Close,

Anyway, site would be an ideal land-swap for us and a slightly easier commute for their coaches on games afternoons as Wood Lane under the Fly-over is a real bottleneck traffic wise.

Did he actually tell you they were going to sell the land?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:26 - Sep 25 with 2049 viewshubble

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:30 - Sep 25 by Akindweevil

A digression, forgive me..just wondered how many people on this thread went to Latymer? I had assumed I was the only one to have suffered the communal muddy baths after the end of games at the wood lane ground. Mind you I did leave in 78, and I'm not sure if health and safety had been invented then.

Anyway, it would be great if that ground became the new stadium...and I think the headteacher at Latymer is an Rs fan so we might get a good deal. 😉

No, you're not the only one, those changing rooms were grim, weren't they! You left the year before me, by the way.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:41 - Sep 25 with 1843 viewsParkRoyalR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:14 - Sep 25 by hubble

Did he actually tell you they were going to sell the land?

No, did'nt doorstep him, but was very odd as was walking that bit of the stadium like an estate agent would,

Can't see Latymer needing to sell their playing fields as must be cash-rich, but maybe H&F could finally be a bit more pro-active and support any land-swap, especially if benefited the H&F community.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:47 - Sep 25 with 1829 viewsqueensparker

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:26 - Sep 25 by hubble

No, you're not the only one, those changing rooms were grim, weren't they! You left the year before me, by the way.

I left in 1992 and the changing rooms still looked like something out of the Second World War back then. Looking at Wood Lane now from the top deck of the 220 as I go past it looks v nice these days.

My other favourite Wood Lane memory was when one of the groundsmen - who seemed alright at the time - got nicked for planting the massive IRA bomb on Hammersmith Bridge that didn’t go off.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 20:59]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:51 - Sep 25 with 1817 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:21 - Sep 25 by NW5Hoop

The playing fields belong to the school rather than the council don't they?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:21 - Sep 25 with 1674 viewshubble

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:51 - Sep 25 by CamberleyR

The playing fields belong to the school rather than the council don't they?

Yep.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024