Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? 12:29 - Nov 17 with 6267 viewsGloryHunter

Missing apostrophes - I know it's been discussed before. Interesting piece here:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/17/hampshire-villagers-bring-street
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 12:32 - Nov 17 with 5070 viewsJuzzie

It should be. I believe the apostrophe was dropped as it was problematic for the typesetters when printing the match programme.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:23 - Nov 17 with 4939 viewspadstow

So, according to the Apostrophe Protection Society quoted in the article, should we be shouting "Come on you Rs" instead of "Come on you R's" as the plural of R is Rs? 😉
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:47 - Nov 17 with 4904 viewshateley_legend

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:23 - Nov 17 by padstow

So, according to the Apostrophe Protection Society quoted in the article, should we be shouting "Come on you Rs" instead of "Come on you R's" as the plural of R is Rs? 😉

The insertion of an apostrophe in Rs has grated with me for all eternity - it's just plain wrong. Worse still, it has featured across the club's branding for a good while now - including, I think, in giant type on the back of the SAR stand. Enough to give grammar pedants (yes, like me) permanent nightmares.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:57 - Nov 17 with 4884 viewsE15Hoop

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:23 - Nov 17 by padstow

In short, yes, as the apostrophe denotes possession of something.

In other words, if we were shouting "come on you R's boot lickers", then the apostrophe would have to be where I've just put it, assuming we were only talking about one "R" or one group under the moniker "R", and said boot actually belonged the the R in question.

If it were several Rs however, it would have to be "come on you Rs' boots lickers", with the apostrophe after the s, as there is more than one R in this case.

However, if we're just talking about there being more than one R in existence in the worls, then the plural of R is simply Rs with no apostrophe.

In the case of our beloved club it SHOULD be Queen's Park Rangers Fottball Club, as the Park supposedly belongs to the Queen (whichever monarch we're referring to, assuming she's either female or wishes to identify as such).
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:19 - Nov 17 with 4829 viewsPindarus

The tube map has the apostrophe and also favours Regent's Park. However it is shown as Barons Court so there was presumably more than one baron.
The apostrophe is a bit of a nuisance when texting but I think it should stay to keep the fusty traditionalists happy.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:28 - Nov 17 with 4797 viewsE15Hoop

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:19 - Nov 17 by Pindarus

The tube map has the apostrophe and also favours Regent's Park. However it is shown as Barons Court so there was presumably more than one baron.
The apostrophe is a bit of a nuisance when texting but I think it should stay to keep the fusty traditionalists happy.

If there was more than one Baron and the Court belonged to all of them it should actually be Barons' Court.

Just saying...
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:37 - Nov 17 with 4778 viewsdmm

In the case of our beloved club it SHOULD be Queen's Park Rangers Fottball Club, as the Park supposedly belongs to the Queen (whichever monarch we're referring to, assuming she's either female or wishes to identify as such).

The Queen is Victoria as the area and park bearing her name were created during her time, with the area of course being where our beloved club was formed as the plaque on St Jude's Hall, Fourth Avenue, W10 proudly states. And do note the apostrophe!

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:49 - Nov 17 with 4746 viewsE15Hoop

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:37 - Nov 17 by dmm

The Queen is Victoria as the area and park bearing her name were created during her time, with the area of course being where our beloved club was formed as the plaque on St Jude's Hall, Fourth Avenue, W10 proudly states. And do note the apostrophe!

Amen!
Login to get fewer ads

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 15:00 - Nov 17 with 4712 viewsflynnbo

Ron Phillips'''''' fault.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 18:50 - Nov 17 with 4510 viewskensalriser

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:47 - Nov 17 by hateley_legend

The insertion of an apostrophe in Rs has grated with me for all eternity - it's just plain wrong. Worse still, it has featured across the club's branding for a good while now - including, I think, in giant type on the back of the SAR stand. Enough to give grammar pedants (yes, like me) permanent nightmares.

The apostrophe can also denote omission, so if you take the anger out of Rangers, you have R's. Which may be why we're so apathetic.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 18:51]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 19:26 - Nov 17 with 4464 viewsqpr_1968

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 15:00 - Nov 17 by flynnbo

Ron Phillips'''''' fault.

who is now known as ron phillip's.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 19:34 - Nov 17 with 4450 viewsVancouverHoop

Re: the park, which Queen is being referred to? I'd assume Victoria, but it could conceivably be Anne.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 00:51 - Nov 18 with 4269 viewsstainrods_elbow

As a fellow pedant/editor, I feel you're pain/rage! (See what I did there?)
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 0:52]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 07:06 - Nov 18 with 4217 viewsPlanetHonneywood

One thing is sure, an apostrophe is required somewhere in the name, and it's absence will eventually see a points deduction if ever the FA's punctuation police cotton on.

Equally, the printing costs alone of inserting an apostrophe would tip us over the FFP edge right now. Suggest we leave well alone, and see if we can blag it if rumbled.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 07:22 - Nov 18 with 4210 viewsHantsR

When I sing 'you RRRs' I never use an apostrophe.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 09:07 - Nov 18 with 4137 viewshubble

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 19:34 - Nov 17 by VancouverHoop

Re: the park, which Queen is being referred to? I'd assume Victoria, but it could conceivably be Anne.

It's Victoria. Queen's Park (in London) was named after her.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 10:53 - Nov 18 with 4072 viewsGloryHunter

There are lots of Queen's Parks around the UK and the Commonwealth. Some of them have dropped the apostophe and some have kept it. Only ours seems to have a football team named after it though, according to Wiki, at least.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Park
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:12 - Nov 18 with 4043 viewshubble

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 10:53 - Nov 18 by GloryHunter

There are lots of Queen's Parks around the UK and the Commonwealth. Some of them have dropped the apostophe and some have kept it. Only ours seems to have a football team named after it though, according to Wiki, at least.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Park

I think you missed Queen's Park FC in Glasgow, which is named after the park and area.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 13:03]

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:32 - Nov 18 with 4028 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 18:50 - Nov 17 by kensalriser

The apostrophe can also denote omission, so if you take the anger out of Rangers, you have R's. Which may be why we're so apathetic.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 18:51]

Agreed.

As in photo's.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:41 - Nov 18 with 4019 viewshubble

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:32 - Nov 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Agreed.

As in photo's.

No, that's wrong, Brian. "Photos" is not an omission, it's an abbreviation, and should never be apostrophised in that context.

An abbreviation is not the same as an omission.

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:55 - Nov 18 with 4006 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:41 - Nov 18 by hubble

No, that's wrong, Brian. "Photos" is not an omission, it's an abbreviation, and should never be apostrophised in that context.

An abbreviation is not the same as an omission.

Apostrophes are used to denote abbreviations, too, no?

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 12:42 - Nov 18 with 3962 viewshubble

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 11:55 - Nov 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Apostrophes are used to denote abbreviations, too, no?

No. It is sometimes done, but it's incorrect.

But you do use them in contractions though: don't, couldn't, wouldn't.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 12:46]

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 12:47 - Nov 18 with 3957 viewsDannyPaddox

A posh trophy we wunsh wun
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 13:55 - Nov 18 with 3924 viewsHastings_Hoops

It’s all Hoos’s fault.
Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 14:26 - Nov 18 with 3907 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Should it be Queen's Park Rangers? on 12:42 - Nov 18 by hubble

No. It is sometimes done, but it's incorrect.

But you do use them in contractions though: don't, couldn't, wouldn't.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 12:46]

Never knew that.
Apol's.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024