Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Venables RIP 12:17 - Nov 26 with 26777 viewsaston_hoop

Terry Venables has passed away at the age of 80. Very sad news

http://www.skysports.com/share/13016445

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Terry Venables RIP on 18:13 - Nov 26 with 2590 viewsrichranger

I met Terry Venables in 1974 - when I was 11 years old. I was very lucky to be invited into the players' guest room after the last game of the season. It was against Leeds, and was the highest ever attendance at Loftus Road.
My godfather knew Terry Mancini - who invited us. I will never forget chatting to the likes of Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas, Gerry Francis, and of course Terry Mancini. All great players and characters. But when Terry Venables walked into the room he had everyone's attention. The man was so charismatic - and funny too. I got a ball signed by all the players.
I was crestfallen when he was sold to Palace, but so delighted when he came back as manager. I remember being outside South Africa Road the night Tommy Doc was fired. Terry Venable was there too - and I remember saying to him 'When are coming back to us' - not realising the deal had already probably been done!
RIP a giant of the football world - and one the charismatic people I ever met.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 18:13]
Terry Venables RIP on 18:14 - Nov 26 with 2580 viewsGroveR

Not one for the memories and recollections but I was in his club, Scribes during Euro 96, basically free-loading off a mate who was a member. I was desperate for a leak and went to the gents. Unzipped and aimed and in walks Tel and takes the trough beside me. 45 seconds of awkward silence and nary a dribble from me and a veritable Niagara Falla of pìss from him and he chuckles "stage fright eh?" to which I gabble something incomprehensible about him being a QPR legend. He obviously knew I was on the lam in there and as much a paying member of Scribes as I was of the Bullingdon club but he didn't give a monkeys.

RIP. A huge loss.
Terry Venables RIP on 18:17 - Nov 26 with 2560 viewsthemodfather

sad news RIP our Tel, what a team he gave us, what a pitch, youth set up ,wins goals and european footy in 3-4 years? him and allan harris were top coaches.
an fa cup final taken to replay v a back then excellent spuds tea,. romped div 2 as champs and 4th in old div 1.
25k crowds , so much buzz and hope back then.
LEGEND is used a lot but el tel WAS . what he achieved in the game, got England so much respect and a major cup semi, lost on pens. took barca to titles and finals .
a loss to football and his family and friends, he will always have a special place at QPRFC in our hearts.
Terry Venables RIP on 18:20 - Nov 26 with 2544 viewsstevec

Sad news.

Made us a streetwise side as a player and manager and added belief when we most needed it. God knows, the kind of inspiration that is so lacking these days.

RIP TV, one of the best.
Terry Venables RIP on 18:47 - Nov 26 with 2441 viewsloftus77

Very sad news. RIP Terry, and very best wishes to all the family.

So many great memories of the early 80s, well documented on here. He was a great, innovative partner with Chairman Jim Gregory and also with assistant Allan Harris.

I recall that he co-authored a book 'They Used To Play on Grass' some time before Omniturf - Terry was a footballing pioneer and was a big reason why Rangers was such a pioneering club at that time. Everything seemed ahead of us in terms of future glory and mixing it at the very top of English football.

A very sad day.
Terry Venables RIP on 18:52 - Nov 26 with 2423 viewsSonic_Hoop

Very sad news. I have a feeling his impact on the playing culture at QPR, from when he played alongside Gerry Francis and later as manager was as great as anyone involved with the club. Perhaps his most remarkable achievement was signing Steve Archibald as a replacement for Maradona and improving the team.
Terry Venables RIP on 19:08 - Nov 26 with 2345 viewswortonr

Terry Venables RIP on 18:03 - Nov 26 by ngbqpr

The chipped free kick.
The million dollar smile.
The exotic name.
Hazell.
The real team of the 80s.
Plastic or grass Rangers are class.
Wembley. Twice.
10 points clear.
Serenading European qualification at Goodison.
Bush to Barca.
El Tel.
Immaculate Crombie.
Holding hands with Cloughie under the two towers.
4-1 humiliation of the Dutch masters.
Gazza’s extra time lunge…inches…
And…what d’you want to make those eyes at me for.

Thanks for the memories Tel - shine on.

Nice
He briefly had the nickname “Mr Eyebrows” which led to the record, without which there would have been no Diamond Lights. Make of that what you will!
Terry Venables RIP on 19:29 - Nov 26 with 2294 viewsChrisNW6

QPR legend who set us up in the 80s to become a permanent fixture in the top flight. Gave me my greatest memory with the FA Cup run to the final followed by promotion the next season.

I always wanted to visit his Spanish country hotel so I could strike up a QPR conversation, but would have been slightly stalkerish and knowing my luck he wouldn't have been home that weekend.

RIP El Tel greatest English coach
Login to get fewer ads

Terry Venables RIP on 19:31 - Nov 26 with 2291 viewsCamberleyR

Absolutely gutted by this news. Without a shadow of a doubt the best manager in my fifty years supporting the club and arguably our greatest ever.

When you consider the three full seasons he had and what he achieved;
Our first FA Cup Final
Winning the second division by a country mile
Fifth first season back and European football.

With just a couple of games to go in that first season back in the first division we still had a very outside chance of still being champions and yet ended up with as many wins as eventual champions Liverpool, a phenomenal achievement. If just a few of those defeats were draws...

I think back then we didn't probably fully appreciate what a superb manager and coach we had. As a coach he was years ahead of his time.

RIP Terry, a proper Rangers legend and a giant of the game, thank you for the brilliant memories you created for this teenaged Rs fan.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 21:52]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Terry Venables RIP on 20:05 - Nov 26 with 2240 viewshook_hoops

Thanks for the memories Terry. you were a fantastic player for us and without doubt the greatest manager (and we have had a few good ones). You lifted the club to an entirely new level.

RIP El Tel!
Terry Venables RIP on 20:39 - Nov 26 with 2139 viewsRs_Holy

I’ve just seen this… I’m in a state of shock and a bit emotional. A true Legend in QPR’s history… what a team he put together… a trullly gifted manager. I still loved him when he left us for Barca … (they still love him to this day too!).
Then England manager for the best Euros ever… it was a magical tournament after which he kind of disappeared slowly… into obscurity which I never really understood.
I’m starting to feel really old … all the legends from my days growing up are going one by one…
Thank you Terry… you will never be forgotten within the QPR family… RIP
Terry Venables RIP on 20:49 - Nov 26 with 2112 viewsAntti_Heinola

Loved Terry - in terms of English managers he was light years ahead of his time. Allison, Clough and Venables led the way in innovative coaching and tactics, but sadly our game got bogged down while the continentals flew past us in terms of technique. You could probably argue that even now there has not been an English manager since who has been so tactically smart as Venables.

I got to meet him once, spent most of an evening with him in fact, and it was fantastic. Humble, interesting, friendly, charismatic, funny, charming, generous. It was brilliant. A really fond memory of mine. Got him to sign my QPR flag, which is reserved only for the total greats.

RIP.

Bare bones.

Terry Venables RIP on 20:50 - Nov 26 with 2112 viewsTacticalR

Fenwick really raved about Venables on Open All R's:

"I think he was the best manager in British football, if not the world, for over a decade. He was a great man manager and a great coach - and of course that doesn't often come hand in hand. You've got some great man managers out there that are not particularly good coaches, and vice versa - some good coaches that are not good at managing people, but Terry had it all."

Air hostess clique

Terry Venables RIP on 21:05 - Nov 26 with 2062 viewsQPsyR

Absolutely Gutted.

To me he was the best manager we ever had, I'm certain we would have won the league in 84-85, I think we could have won it in 83-84 with a bit more belief, and 5th didn't do us justice.

Terry Venables Blue and White Army

RIP

FKA AcidPixie

Terry Venables RIP on 21:19 - Nov 26 with 2018 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Terry Venables RIP on 17:49 - Nov 26 by zicoshoops

The first time I saw Terry , I fell in love.
It was 1967 and there was a picture of him in the Paper, holding the FA Cup, Spurs beat the scum.

I remember standing in the Boys Enclosure in front of the Loft, watching him play for us.
The pitch always seemed like a mud patch, but he seemed to ping the ball all over the place.

As far as I aware, he is the only player EVER, who has played for England in every available age group, including England Amateurs.

The really sad thing about his career as a Manager, is he turned up at Barcelona when a certain Diego Maradona was there.

It was shortly after the Falklands War.
Maradona was in his prime.
But it was never going happen that he played for an English Manager at that time.
So Maradona went to Italy.

But if he had stayed…..…
We would have been privileged to see the best player in the world………..
Managed by the best Coach in the world….

Rest in Peace Terry.
Sleep easy……….

"It was shortly after the Falklands War.
Maradona was in his prime.
But it was never going happen that he played for an English Manager at that time.
So Maradona went to Italy."

I'm not sure about that, Zico.

From everything I've read Venables was told before taking the gig that Maradona was being sold and he would have to plan without him. He had lost control off and on the pitch, according to the board.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Venables RIP on 21:20 - Nov 26 with 2010 viewsibnumber10

Echo all of that.
Some of the best football I’ve seen us play was under him.
FA cup final, promotion and then qualified for Europe, used a lot of home grown players also.
RIP El Tel
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 21:21]
Terry Venables RIP on 21:24 - Nov 26 with 1985 viewsbosh67

Privileged to have been following the team during his reign. Exceptional manager and we played some very exciting football under his tenure. RIP Tel.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Terry Venables RIP on 21:37 - Nov 26 with 1954 viewsBlackCrowe

Gosh, this makes me feel sad (and old)...

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Terry Venables RIP on 21:49 - Nov 26 with 1926 viewsCiderwithRsie

Terry Venables RIP on 20:49 - Nov 26 by Antti_Heinola

Loved Terry - in terms of English managers he was light years ahead of his time. Allison, Clough and Venables led the way in innovative coaching and tactics, but sadly our game got bogged down while the continentals flew past us in terms of technique. You could probably argue that even now there has not been an English manager since who has been so tactically smart as Venables.

I got to meet him once, spent most of an evening with him in fact, and it was fantastic. Humble, interesting, friendly, charismatic, funny, charming, generous. It was brilliant. A really fond memory of mine. Got him to sign my QPR flag, which is reserved only for the total greats.

RIP.

Allison, Clough and Venables led the way in innovative coaching and tactics,

... and only one of them got to manage England, for just two years before being forced out over alleged fnancial dodginess, by the people who later gave Sam Allardyce the job.

Instead of Allison, we stuck with Ramsey after he had run out of steam (certainly by 1972, arguably after 1970); instead of Clough, we gave the gig to the decent but limited caretaker manager Greenwood. Instead of Venables, who was unemployed, the FA gave the job to Graham Bloody Taylor in 1990, turned to Venables in desperation when the predictable shambles happened, then threw him out to give the job to Mr Clean Glenn Hoddle. That worked out great when he had to be sacked for implying that disabled people had it coming to them.

30 wasted years.
Terry Venables RIP on 21:49 - Nov 26 with 1917 viewsMick_S

Terry Venables RIP on 21:37 - Nov 26 by BlackCrowe

Gosh, this makes me feel sad (and old)...

That is just so lovely.

A bit s hit at the moment, but we have been rather lucky for a smallish club.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Terry Venables RIP on 22:15 - Nov 26 with 1833 viewsCateLeBonR

Tuesday will be very emotional 🤍🩵
Terry Venables RIP on 22:50 - Nov 26 with 1696 viewsdaveB

Best manager in my lifetime, arguably our best ever, Only Stock comes close imo

Gutted I can't make it on Tuesday and be there for the tributes to him

I've put together a little tribute and his career in numbers.

https://www.qprhistory.co.uk/players/venables

Highest win % of any QPR manager ever is a headline one
I still say we'd have won the league if he had stayed rather than go to Barcelona and also think we'd have won the World Cup if he the FA didn't stich him up and replace him with that prat Hoddle

I've got a busy few weeks at work but going to try and do a video tribute to Venables, If anyone would like to contribute to the video with any stories or memories please either post them on here or email me at QPRMemories@gmail.com and I will look to include as many stories as possible and if you want to be in it just send a video of yourself talking about your memories of him to the same email address and I'll get them added
Terry Venables RIP on 22:52 - Nov 26 with 1692 viewsManinBlack

I have been out all day and just seen the bad news. He did wonders for us and had us playing great football, albeit fans of other clubs choose to remember us for the offside trap and plastic pitch during his reign. As a player he always had a smile on his face. With our cup record in the last few decades he did wonders to get us to our only FA cup final as a second division club. Hard to believe that we had a manager that Barcelona prized and shows up the poor quality of managers we generally get at the club or idiots as Briatore/Paladini stated. Great shame he never came back to us after the England job he was hounded out of. RIP Terry
Terry Venables RIP on 23:14 - Nov 26 with 1622 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Terry Venables RIP on 22:50 - Nov 26 by daveB

Best manager in my lifetime, arguably our best ever, Only Stock comes close imo

Gutted I can't make it on Tuesday and be there for the tributes to him

I've put together a little tribute and his career in numbers.

https://www.qprhistory.co.uk/players/venables

Highest win % of any QPR manager ever is a headline one
I still say we'd have won the league if he had stayed rather than go to Barcelona and also think we'd have won the World Cup if he the FA didn't stich him up and replace him with that prat Hoddle

I've got a busy few weeks at work but going to try and do a video tribute to Venables, If anyone would like to contribute to the video with any stories or memories please either post them on here or email me at QPRMemories@gmail.com and I will look to include as many stories as possible and if you want to be in it just send a video of yourself talking about your memories of him to the same email address and I'll get them added

Hi Dave,

I can't think of anything in particular, but Francis Peacock's 'Road to 76' book is worth a flick-through.

I will keep thinking, though.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Terry Venables RIP on 23:51 - Nov 26 with 1567 viewsdaveB

Terry Venables RIP on 23:14 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Hi Dave,

I can't think of anything in particular, but Francis Peacock's 'Road to 76' book is worth a flick-through.

I will keep thinking, though.

yeah am still reading that, is really good
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024