Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Marti hopefully learnt last night 08:01 - Dec 30 with 6308 viewsBlackCrowe

- Osman is not for this team
- Dykes is a bench starter
- Cannon, Cook, C-S and Paal is our back four
- Larkeche is one to nuture and focus on.

My guess is that Marti has a couple of players (almost certainly a striker or two) on his January loan wishlist...be very surprised if they are not from Hammerby or else in Scandinavia

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 08:59 - Dec 30 with 4160 viewsenfieldargh

What are the rules for signing permanent or loan players from overseas these days?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 09:09 - Dec 30 with 4096 viewsParkRoyalR

Begovic bailed out the back 4 on more than a few occasions last night, maybe 4 or 5 top class saves, two 1 on 1's in first 15 against a much weakened Ipswich starting line-up, including a JCS gift which if it was Dunne and the roof comes in.

Better support from Field + Dozzell for ball out from the back was noticeable and the big difference to Millwall first half.

Change in formation was a positive and with Colback back this switch to a 4-2-3-1 looks better suited in the absence of Willock + Chair with Larkeche looking an option to infill for Chair on the left.

Still look leggy compared to our opposition and seen to struggle to get up + down the pitch for 90 minutes.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 09:21 - Dec 30 with 4046 viewsHoopinEssex

I agree with all the points.

Also think after last night Marti will tell the core of this team is capable of holding its own against the best teams in the division. Our striker problem is what's killing us

We should have won that game last night. The handball was a disgrace. If we can add a couple of three players I'm confident we will survive
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 09:29 - Dec 30 with 4011 viewsdaveB

I'm sure he knows all that but Cook can't do 2 games in a row and Cannon struggles with quick turnover of games
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 09:38 - Dec 30 with 3964 viewsWestonsuperR

The Striker problem we have is enormous, we started a player up front on his own that has scored 1 goal in 40+ matches and brought on another who as far as I know has never scored a league goal for any team. Would even a league 2 side have to do this? I’m no Dykes fan either, this is desperate.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:01 - Dec 30 with 3857 viewstraininvain

I’m sure Marti’s aware of all these issues but the problems start when Cook and Cannon can’t play on Monday due to the quick turnaround and need to be replaced by Kakay and Dunne. The difference is night and day.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:12 - Dec 30 with 3815 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 09:09 - Dec 30 by ParkRoyalR

Begovic bailed out the back 4 on more than a few occasions last night, maybe 4 or 5 top class saves, two 1 on 1's in first 15 against a much weakened Ipswich starting line-up, including a JCS gift which if it was Dunne and the roof comes in.

Better support from Field + Dozzell for ball out from the back was noticeable and the big difference to Millwall first half.

Change in formation was a positive and with Colback back this switch to a 4-2-3-1 looks better suited in the absence of Willock + Chair with Larkeche looking an option to infill for Chair on the left.

Still look leggy compared to our opposition and seen to struggle to get up + down the pitch for 90 minutes.

Chair good again last night in a 433.
Crucially the midfield was good too in a 433, which it rarely is in a 4231.

Another nail in the 4231 coffin, I would think.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:17 - Dec 30 with 3773 viewslassel

Problem is Willock, Chair and Cook will likely all be put against Cardiff, and Cannon will need a rest after playing the 90 so we are back to an ‘agricultural’ lineup.
Login to get fewer ads

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:28 - Dec 30 with 3723 viewsbaz_qpr

I think Dixon Bonner makes a huge difference to us too. Mobile, tidy, progressive find of the season
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:42 - Dec 30 with 3650 viewsParkRoyalR

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:12 - Dec 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Chair good again last night in a 433.
Crucially the midfield was good too in a 433, which it rarely is in a 4231.

Another nail in the 4231 coffin, I would think.

Agree Chair looked good but arguably there was again no end product from him (or any of the other attacking midfielders)

Maybe a 4-3-3 works with Field-Colback-DixonBonner but want Larkeche to start and Dozzell benched as last night proved the energy provided by Larkeche created two great turnovers which you just don't get playing frommetoyou triangles in your third of the pitch.

With Chair + Willock now out we just don't have the 3rd forwards ready to start unless you give Larkeche a go in Chairs position, and at least he's quick, can control a ball + beat a man.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:50 - Dec 30 with 3602 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:42 - Dec 30 by ParkRoyalR

Agree Chair looked good but arguably there was again no end product from him (or any of the other attacking midfielders)

Maybe a 4-3-3 works with Field-Colback-DixonBonner but want Larkeche to start and Dozzell benched as last night proved the energy provided by Larkeche created two great turnovers which you just don't get playing frommetoyou triangles in your third of the pitch.

With Chair + Willock now out we just don't have the 3rd forwards ready to start unless you give Larkeche a go in Chairs position, and at least he's quick, can control a ball + beat a man.

Maybe. There'll be a lot of rotation anyway, I suppose.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 11:10 - Dec 30 with 3504 viewsParkRoyalR

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:50 - Dec 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Maybe. There'll be a lot of rotation anyway, I suppose.

Just think with Chair + Willock out, Paal + Cannon offer more of a threat in final third than Field + Colback who can screen defence if FullBacks push forward in a 4-2-3-1.

Don't envy Marti's choices if those two are out, although would say Dunne was immense in that 2nd Half last night, put his head in a couple of times to make vital clearances where others might'nt haven so back 4 not as concerned compared to how we are going to create (and take) goal scoring chances.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 11:27 - Dec 30 with 3402 viewsRangersw12

He probably already knew his best team but the problem is the squad is so fragile fitness wise that he can't risk losing JCS , Cannon and Cook etc for long periods of time so he has to rotate
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 11:32 - Dec 30 with 3384 viewsBurnleyhoop

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 11:10 - Dec 30 by ParkRoyalR

Just think with Chair + Willock out, Paal + Cannon offer more of a threat in final third than Field + Colback who can screen defence if FullBacks push forward in a 4-2-3-1.

Don't envy Marti's choices if those two are out, although would say Dunne was immense in that 2nd Half last night, put his head in a couple of times to make vital clearances where others might'nt haven so back 4 not as concerned compared to how we are going to create (and take) goal scoring chances.

And there’s the rub with Dunne. He’s an old fashioned centre half that gets his head on things and clears the lines. If you want a ball playing centre half that can carry the thing out of defence and link with the midfield, then he’s not your man. JCS should carry that responsibility.

Cook and JCS are our best pairing, but when under aerial bombardment, Dunne is your man.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:15 - Dec 30 with 3246 viewsNorthernr

He knows full well that's his back four and that Kakay is crap.

On Monday there's a strong possibility Cook and Cannon won't be available. Then what?
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:26 - Dec 30 with 3209 viewsParkRoyalR

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:15 - Dec 30 by Northernr

He knows full well that's his back four and that Kakay is crap.

On Monday there's a strong possibility Cook and Cannon won't be available. Then what?

As long as for whatever reason the midfield don't hide and show as they did last night and he plays Smyth in front of Kakay, I have confidence we can keep a clean sheet.

I have seen Smyth + Kakay defend the right side very well this season.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:38 - Dec 30 with 3164 viewstraininvain

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 11:10 - Dec 30 by ParkRoyalR

Dunne went 20 minutes without making a mistake. It’s an improvement and let’s hope he can do the same on Monday if called upon but I wouldn’t get too carried away just yet.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:40 - Dec 30 with 3148 viewsQPROslo

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 10:42 - Dec 30 by ParkRoyalR

To play our way out of the press and play the quick possession football Marti wants you need players who can pass it relatively quickly and accurately. Often it's got to be 1 or 2 passes sidewards and backwards to improve angles to pass it through the press into the space behind. Ipswich did that well at times. For us Dozzell and a fit Colback of the midfield players are the best at that imo. Field back on song last night isn't so reliable at that but he is obviously good, strong and aware of runners defending. When we play 2 in midfield rather than the 3, or put Paal in the 3 as at Millwall we tend to get overrun in midfield.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 12:50]
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:48 - Dec 30 with 3106 viewsQPROslo

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:26 - Dec 30 by ParkRoyalR

As long as for whatever reason the midfield don't hide and show as they did last night and he plays Smyth in front of Kakay, I have confidence we can keep a clean sheet.

I have seen Smyth + Kakay defend the right side very well this season.

And I've seen them turn apart far too easily to be honest. But not sure who can stand in for Cannon other than Kakay - not Larkeshe again on the right! EDB??, Drewe? not if Cardiff have anyone with pace left side.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:49 - Dec 30 with 3097 viewsNorthernr

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:48 - Dec 30 by QPROslo

And I've seen them turn apart far too easily to be honest. But not sure who can stand in for Cannon other than Kakay - not Larkeshe again on the right! EDB??, Drewe? not if Cardiff have anyone with pace left side.

Exactly. And this is the problem Cifuentes has, and why criticism of his recent team selections is unfair. He knows full well what his best 11 is, the physical condition of our squad means he can't pick it very often.

Can't wait to see the starting 11 for Bournemouth. I think it's Jude and Conor from the Box Office down the right side that day.

This post has been edited by an administrator
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:26 - Dec 30 with 2953 viewsDavieQPR

. If we loan a Scandinavian player on return he would be unable to register and play for his parent club, in what is their mid season,and not be eligible until the start of the following season. So a 5 month loan would mean them paying the wages of a player they can't use for over a year. Hence Scandinavian players don't tend to get loaned.
However it does mean quite a few are currently out of contract freebies.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:38 - Dec 30 with 2923 viewsdaveB

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 12:38 - Dec 30 by traininvain

Dunne went 20 minutes without making a mistake. It’s an improvement and let’s hope he can do the same on Monday if called upon but I wouldn’t get too carried away just yet.

even in that 20 minutes he gave a suicidal back pass which almost ended in a corner
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:40 - Dec 30 with 2911 viewsNorthernr

There is some suggestion Fox might be able to feature on Monday. Not that he's really that good, but Dunne just looks absolutely all over the place for me atm.
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:46 - Dec 30 with 2882 viewsFDC

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:40 - Dec 30 by Northernr

There is some suggestion Fox might be able to feature on Monday. Not that he's really that good, but Dunne just looks absolutely all over the place for me atm.

Constantly being required to be on possession around our own area has hum completely rattled I think, and it's feeding into the rest of his game. He's not suited to this style of play at all.

Speaking of which, how.about that big diagonal from Cook in the first half?
What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:52 - Dec 30 with 2860 viewsParkRoyalR

What Marti hopefully learnt last night on 13:40 - Dec 30 by Northernr

Thought Dunne was excellent last half hour and large reason we came away with a point,

I get he's getting caught square on too frequently lately but even at Millwall that early yellow shows he knows when to play the man,

In the same position as Cook for Wednesday's winner and Clarke Salter for Millwall 1st and 2nd goals I'd fancy Dunne to play the man + ball and not concede those goals,

I get with his lumbering gait he looks like Steve Bruce and Cook + JCS look like Gary Pallister in comparison, but at this level as he showed last night he can be an effective Centre Half and way down our biggest problems to fix list.

Clarke Salter, Cook + Cannon have all been culpable for poor goals conceded in recent games, as good as they look with the ball at their feet. Dunne hasn't.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024