Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post office / Horizon show 19:46 - Jan 2 with 28946 viewsRangersDave

Christ, what great 'real' drama.

When i first heard about Horizon, waaaay back in the day, and even then with my rudimentary understanding of glitches, viruses, 'computer says no' etc, i knew there was something wildly 'fishy' about it.

Thoroughly recommend it to you all.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Post office / Horizon show on 23:32 - Jan 7 with 2149 viewselnombre

If we are talking about the same project NumptyD, I recall colleagues working round-the- clock-shifts as the ICL dev environment was so poor - wouldn't be surprised if a few 90 hour weeks were genuine.

Anyhow, glad to have so many fellow Eye readers aboard!
[Post edited 7 Jan 23:40]
Post office / Horizon show on 06:44 - Jan 8 with 2062 viewsnumptydumpty

Post office / Horizon show on 23:32 - Jan 7 by elnombre

If we are talking about the same project NumptyD, I recall colleagues working round-the- clock-shifts as the ICL dev environment was so poor - wouldn't be surprised if a few 90 hour weeks were genuine.

Anyhow, glad to have so many fellow Eye readers aboard!
[Post edited 7 Jan 23:40]

Landscape project, it was called.

St Christopher House in Southwark Street, Elnombre.

Fact is no one can consistently do 90 hour weeks, week after week after week, and be productive. Burn out would easily mean many mistakes.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Post office / Horizon show on 09:55 - Jan 8 with 1952 viewselnombre

Post office / Horizon show on 06:44 - Jan 8 by numptydumpty

Landscape project, it was called.

St Christopher House in Southwark Street, Elnombre.

Fact is no one can consistently do 90 hour weeks, week after week after week, and be productive. Burn out would easily mean many mistakes.

Ah, yet another ICL fiasco then!

I was working for a software house in Harrow, not on err Project X (paranoid self-edit) myself, but some mates were literally going in at 10pm and working 12 hour shifts, just to get machine time. As you say, first-job grads, no experience, laughable support from ICL, QA a joke - the project was a notorious disaster.

Strangely though, not a mention now anywhere outside this thread - almost like 'ICL' and 'cover-up' go together like a horse and carriage...
[Post edited 8 Jan 10:53]
Post office / Horizon show on 12:03 - Jan 8 with 1852 viewsPindarus

Some credit to James Arbuthnot the Tory MP who listened to and supported the postmasters throughout. Absolutely no credit to anybody in the coalition or government, the Post Office or especially Fujitsu. Like the Windrush Scandal, Hillsborough and now this those governing us are broadly corrupt, mendacious and incompetent.
I originally thought the Post Office had been privatised but in fact it is wholly owned by the Government.
This programme made my blood boil. Time for a revolution. Where did I put my tumbrels?
Post office / Horizon show on 12:22 - Jan 8 with 1822 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Post office / Horizon show on 12:03 - Jan 8 by Pindarus

Some credit to James Arbuthnot the Tory MP who listened to and supported the postmasters throughout. Absolutely no credit to anybody in the coalition or government, the Post Office or especially Fujitsu. Like the Windrush Scandal, Hillsborough and now this those governing us are broadly corrupt, mendacious and incompetent.
I originally thought the Post Office had been privatised but in fact it is wholly owned by the Government.
This programme made my blood boil. Time for a revolution. Where did I put my tumbrels?

The documentary took place pre coalition. It is now privatised.
Post office / Horizon show on 12:31 - Jan 8 with 1792 viewsPindarus

Not true. It is a "state owned private company". It is 100% owned by the Government.
Post office / Horizon show on 12:47 - Jan 8 with 1735 viewsCamberleyR

Post office / Horizon show on 12:22 - Jan 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

The documentary took place pre coalition. It is now privatised.

Post Office Ltd is a limited company wholly owned by the government.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Post office / Horizon show on 13:02 - Jan 8 with 1683 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My apologies, I was talking about Royal Mail not Post Office. However I hope you got my point.
[Post edited 8 Jan 13:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Post office / Horizon show on 13:03 - Jan 8 with 1679 viewsnumptydumpty

Post office / Horizon show on 09:55 - Jan 8 by elnombre

Ah, yet another ICL fiasco then!

I was working for a software house in Harrow, not on err Project X (paranoid self-edit) myself, but some mates were literally going in at 10pm and working 12 hour shifts, just to get machine time. As you say, first-job grads, no experience, laughable support from ICL, QA a joke - the project was a notorious disaster.

Strangely though, not a mention now anywhere outside this thread - almost like 'ICL' and 'cover-up' go together like a horse and carriage...
[Post edited 8 Jan 10:53]

Our project I think from shady memories was either put on hold or binned.

So we were all on gardening leave but for some bizarre reason all had to go to Winnersh Triangle bizarrely to do the sum total of sod all work. People travelling from Lewisham and beyond to do the sum total of sod all work as the jobs we turned up to do, no longer existed anymore ie there were.no job roles..
[Post edited 8 Jan 13:05]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Post office / Horizon show on 13:29 - Jan 9 with 1478 viewswood_hoop

Just the start hopefully....

Post office / Horizon show on 13:55 - Jan 9 with 1426 viewsDannyPaddox

Post office / Horizon show on 13:29 - Jan 9 by wood_hoop

"You'll like this... not a lot, but you'll like it!"

She reminds me disturbingly of a tangerine Paul Daniels.
Post office / Horizon show on 13:56 - Jan 9 with 1421 viewsRangersDave

Post office / Horizon show on 13:55 - Jan 9 by DannyPaddox

"You'll like this... not a lot, but you'll like it!"

She reminds me disturbingly of a tangerine Paul Daniels.

yeah but will she hand back her money?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Post office / Horizon show on 14:19 - Jan 9 with 1378 viewsSheffieldHoop

Media going very hard on this story now, is it because we've got a name and face to pin the blame on?

This ITV series isn't saying anything that hasn't been known by the public since what, 2019? The (I'm sure deliberate) non-inclusion of Adam Crozier reeks.

Be good if they could do a series on one of those Love Island contestants they gave 15 minutes of fame, who went on to take their own lives. A number they can choose from. Would like to see that. Then we'll have the Philip Schofield & his apprentice scandal. Some great British TV forthcoming, I'm sure.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Post office / Horizon show on 14:29 - Jan 9 with 1360 viewsTheChef

Post office / Horizon show on 14:19 - Jan 9 by SheffieldHoop

Media going very hard on this story now, is it because we've got a name and face to pin the blame on?

This ITV series isn't saying anything that hasn't been known by the public since what, 2019? The (I'm sure deliberate) non-inclusion of Adam Crozier reeks.

Be good if they could do a series on one of those Love Island contestants they gave 15 minutes of fame, who went on to take their own lives. A number they can choose from. Would like to see that. Then we'll have the Philip Schofield & his apprentice scandal. Some great British TV forthcoming, I'm sure.

Yeah convenient one for the media to get their teeth into.

It's like the Daily Mail, find something for people to get angry about.

Nice timing as well just into the New Year, get everyone wound up.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Post office / Horizon show on 14:36 - Jan 9 with 1333 viewsJuzzie

Post office / Horizon show on 13:29 - Jan 9 by wood_hoop

Will she hand herself in to the local police station to be arrested and charges brought against her?
Post office / Horizon show on 14:41 - Jan 9 with 1315 viewsradfords

Clearly there needs to be compensation paid to the victims of this. What happened to the “stolen money’ if there was no theft ? The possible explanation is offered in the story. It was put into a holding account and written back as profits. In this case both Fujitsu and Post Office need to reveal if this was the case and who got those profits. This will have provided, in all probability, bonuses for Executives of either or both companies. These bonuses should be repaid and also any funds from the holding account.
The easy solution for the politicians is to pay compensation from taxpayers funds. The punishment must fit the crime and both corporations and executives should repay all benefits they derived from their behaviour.
Post office / Horizon show on 14:42 - Jan 9 with 1314 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 14:19 - Jan 9 by SheffieldHoop

nope no, I'm not gonna bite
Post office / Horizon show on 15:20 - Jan 9 with 1239 viewsSheffieldHoop

Post office / Horizon show on 14:42 - Jan 9 by daveB

nope no, I'm not gonna bite

Haha Dave, I wasn't fishing, sorry if it came across that way.

However, do find it funny that ITV characterizes criticism from Joey Barton of their football coverage as "abuse" while trashing this woman's life, work & reputation in an effort to protect their old boss.

Post office / Horizon show on 15:32 - Jan 9 with 1203 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 15:20 - Jan 9 by SheffieldHoop

However, do find it funny that ITV characterizes criticism from Joey Barton of their football coverage as "abuse" while trashing this woman's life, work & reputation in an effort to protect their old boss.

it's not really protecting anyone, the story is out there, has been for 20 years so not as though you can hide it, the drama was based around when the MP got involved and the court cases started which was after Crozier left and Paula Vennels was in charge so wouldn't have made much sense to feature him. I think the idea was to show how it affected real people rather than focus on who was or wasn't to blame.

You'd hope this public enquiry gives us answers on who was to blame for it all but like Hillsbrough this is years away from being over

I hope Jeff Pope does one on Grenfell next
Post office / Horizon show on 15:37 - Jan 9 with 1186 viewsSonofpugwash

Hmmmmmm....wouldn't it be an election year by any chance?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Post office / Horizon show on 15:53 - Jan 9 with 1156 viewsSheffieldHoop

Post office / Horizon show on 15:32 - Jan 9 by daveB

it's not really protecting anyone, the story is out there, has been for 20 years so not as though you can hide it, the drama was based around when the MP got involved and the court cases started which was after Crozier left and Paula Vennels was in charge so wouldn't have made much sense to feature him. I think the idea was to show how it affected real people rather than focus on who was or wasn't to blame.

You'd hope this public enquiry gives us answers on who was to blame for it all but like Hillsbrough this is years away from being over

But didn't the post office discover the bug as far back as 2002? Prosecutions and suicides ensued. Vennells joined in 2012. I've no doubt she's complicit in the scandal....but appears to be taking a disproportionate amount of blame, which has been caused by ITV and their presentation of the scandal, right? Some of the social media stuff I've seen over the last few days is pretty harsh. Certainly abusive. Why is ITV selective in what social media abuse they will and will not generate, address, find acceptable etc?

Edit; Yeah, just checked - In 2000, there were six shortfall convictions that relied on Horizon data. Forty-one subpostmasters were prosecuted in 2001, and 64 in 2002. Vennells joined a business where prosecuting based on dodgy data was already the practice.
[Post edited 9 Jan 16:06]

Post office / Horizon show on 15:57 - Jan 9 with 1146 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Post office / Horizon show on 15:32 - Jan 9 by daveB

ITV have done a good few justice dramas recently. Good work.
Post office / Horizon show on 16:03 - Jan 9 with 1122 viewsloftboy

Post office / Horizon show on 15:53 - Jan 9 by SheffieldHoop

But didn't the post office discover the bug as far back as 2002? Prosecutions and suicides ensued. Vennells joined in 2012. I've no doubt she's complicit in the scandal....but appears to be taking a disproportionate amount of blame, which has been caused by ITV and their presentation of the scandal, right? Some of the social media stuff I've seen over the last few days is pretty harsh. Certainly abusive. Why is ITV selective in what social media abuse they will and will not generate, address, find acceptable etc?

Edit; Yeah, just checked - In 2000, there were six shortfall convictions that relied on Horizon data. Forty-one subpostmasters were prosecuted in 2001, and 64 in 2002. Vennells joined a business where prosecuting based on dodgy data was already the practice.

I actually said to my Mrs today “ she’s going to end up topping herself” with all the attention she get ting .
She’s definitely complicit with the cover up but there’s far more people involved that aren’t getting mentioned , the investigators to start with who surely must have realised something was amiss when all the post masters gave the same “we were told we were the only ones”

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Post office / Horizon show on 16:09 - Jan 9 with 1106 viewsW4Hoop

Post office / Horizon show on 15:20 - Jan 9 by SheffieldHoop

It seems to me that Paula Vennells has done a pretty effective job of trashing her own reputation.

Just when she thought she was coasting into a comfortable retirement with a portfolio of lucrative sinecures, her past caught up with her. She's had to drop her board seats at Imperial Healthcare Trust and Morrisons, her sanctimonious glow as an Anglican priest and now her CBE. Given her shameful role in persecuting people she knew to be innocent she doesn't deserve a shred of sympathy. Perjury is a criminal offence and there is plenty of prima facie evidence that it has been committed in this case.
Post office / Horizon show on 16:13 - Jan 9 with 1094 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 15:53 - Jan 9 by SheffieldHoop

Yeah I think the first case was late 90's which was pre dates Crozier I think, he joined around 2004 from memory although might be wrong, no idea what Crozier knew or didn't know to be honest but the show was focusing more on the court cases which were later when they could have just admitted the error but continued to go after these people. It's a bit of a stretch to blame ITV for what Paula Vennels did, again this is all in the public domain, there was nothing in that drama that wasn't public knowledge already. Some of the script was taken directly out of public records

Not sure what you mean about the social media thing, is that this Joey Barton row? I've tried to ignore it to be honest but think they responded due to the amount of abuse the 2 pundits were getting on the back of joeys tweets
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024