Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post office / Horizon show 19:46 - Jan 2 with 28961 viewsRangersDave

Christ, what great 'real' drama.

When i first heard about Horizon, waaaay back in the day, and even then with my rudimentary understanding of glitches, viruses, 'computer says no' etc, i knew there was something wildly 'fishy' about it.

Thoroughly recommend it to you all.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Post office / Horizon show on 15:56 - Jan 5 with 2862 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Post office / Horizon show on 15:46 - Jan 5 by flynnbo

He's no mug; he only wants to reinvent himself as the good guy.

I doubt he‘ll be playing himself in the next BBC scandal miniseries…
Post office / Horizon show on 16:51 - Jan 5 with 2778 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 15:41 - Jan 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can anyone shed any light on the thinking behind Nadhim Zahawi‘s appearance on it?

He was on the committee so guess it was to add more realism, it's basically word for word what he said as well, the clip of it is on the documentary

Over 50 people have come forward since the drama went to air, this is far from over
When you think how long Hillsborough has gone on for, this is going to be the same

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67894818
Post office / Horizon show on 16:52 - Jan 5 with 2770 viewsMick_S

Post office / Horizon show on 16:51 - Jan 5 by daveB

He was on the committee so guess it was to add more realism, it's basically word for word what he said as well, the clip of it is on the documentary

Over 50 people have come forward since the drama went to air, this is far from over
When you think how long Hillsborough has gone on for, this is going to be the same

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67894818

Good.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Post office / Horizon show on 18:33 - Jan 5 with 2698 viewsNorthantsHoop

If not already on this thread here is the petition that has been raised to strip former Post Office CEO Paula Vennells of her CBE https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/strip-paula-vennells-of-her-cbe
Post office / Horizon show on 20:51 - Jan 5 with 2588 viewsQPunkR

Post office / Horizon show on 15:41 - Jan 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can anyone shed any light on the thinking behind Nadhim Zahawi‘s appearance on it?

It absolutely threw me!

QPR - "shit but local"

Post office / Horizon show on 22:06 - Jan 5 with 2515 viewsloftboy

Post office / Horizon show on 18:33 - Jan 5 by NorthantsHoop

If not already on this thread here is the petition that has been raised to strip former Post Office CEO Paula Vennells of her CBE https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/strip-paula-vennells-of-her-cbe

Signed that yesterday, best “two fingers to her” would be to get the compo settled ASAP

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Post office / Horizon show on 22:13 - Jan 5 with 2498 viewsRs_Holy

Post office / Horizon show on 18:33 - Jan 5 by NorthantsHoop

Signed!… thanks for posting 👍
Post office / Horizon show on 09:07 - Jan 6 with 2352 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Apparently the Police are now opening a criminal investigation into whether the Post Office committed fraud in their prosecutions of Post Masters.

1. Why has it taken them so bloody long?
2. Surely the Police don’t instigate investigations because of a drama on ITV?
Login to get fewer ads

Post office / Horizon show on 09:23 - Jan 6 with 2327 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Post office / Horizon show on 09:07 - Jan 6 by Beckenhamhoop

Apparently the Police are now opening a criminal investigation into whether the Post Office committed fraud in their prosecutions of Post Masters.

Why does it take a three part drama to get the right thing done in this country.

Bread and circuses,
Post office / Horizon show on 09:57 - Jan 6 with 2258 viewsmart_Goblin

Post office / Horizon show on 15:56 - Jan 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

I doubt he‘ll be playing himself in the next BBC scandal miniseries…

Sorry just downgraded by mistake due to fat thumb. Supposed to be up grade
Post office / Horizon show on 10:00 - Jan 6 with 2253 viewsPaddyhoops

Post office / Horizon show on 09:23 - Jan 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Why does it take a three part drama to get the right thing done in this country.

Bread and circuses,

The government don’t want it investigated Baz. It would mean the little people may get justice. We can’t have that.
Post office / Horizon show on 10:23 - Jan 6 with 2229 viewsterryb

Post office / Horizon show on 09:07 - Jan 6 by Beckenhamhoop

The investigation started in January 2020 according to the Met. Therefore it has been going for four years, but I doubt that they put much effort in.

Now that the establishment appear to have washed their hands of the Post Office, that may change!
Post office / Horizon show on 11:32 - Jan 6 with 2170 viewsderbyhoop

Post office / Horizon show on 12:42 - Jan 3 by W4Hoop

Computer Weekly deserve credit for originally publishing this story, but a trade paper was never going to achieve national recognition. The main broadcasters dipped in and out of the story over 20+ years. Only Private Eye stuck with it, through fortnightly reports, year in, year out, in their "In the Back" investigative journalism section.

Many media outlets simply couldn't believe that an institution which (pre-privatisation) was considered trustworthy could be so mendacious and cruel. The entire board at the time should face criminal prosecution, especially Chief Executive Paula Vennells who has never had to answer for disgracefully and knowingly persecuting over 700 entirely innocent postmasters.

Amen to that.
I remember Computer Weekly reporting the scandal in the early 2000s.
The scale of the underhanded treatment of innocent people has, I believe, never come to light until recently. The TV programme really brought it home to the public. The minimal numbers who have received compensation and the scale of that compo is a disgrace.

Paula Vennels and her team should be prosecuted and stripped of honours. Lying to Parliament would be enough. But I can't see this Govt being prepared to sanction such a punishment for their mates.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Post office / Horizon show on 13:42 - Jan 6 with 2109 viewsBedford_R

My missus and I watched all four episodes back to back not going to bed until 2 a.m. Angry, couldn't sleep.

What I also find astounding is that the crap software was throwing up these financial errors when no money was going missing. A lot of postmasters paid the post office money back that they had not stolen. So the post office got hundreds of thousands of not millions that it was not owed. That sounds like fraud or embezzlement or whatever the legal term is. And all this extra money they got never showed up in their books anywhere?

I signed that petition about the CEO and her CBE. Fujitsu need to be held account also - a company I will NEVER work for or with me being in the IT industry.

Hope the postmasters affected do get justice after all this time. And when the CEO loses her CBE Alan Bates should be knighted...
[Post edited 6 Jan 13:44]

RMH_R Reborn

Post office / Horizon show on 14:24 - Jan 6 with 2072 viewsjohnhoop

Post office / Horizon show on 13:42 - Jan 6 by Bedford_R

My missus and I watched all four episodes back to back not going to bed until 2 a.m. Angry, couldn't sleep.

What I also find astounding is that the crap software was throwing up these financial errors when no money was going missing. A lot of postmasters paid the post office money back that they had not stolen. So the post office got hundreds of thousands of not millions that it was not owed. That sounds like fraud or embezzlement or whatever the legal term is. And all this extra money they got never showed up in their books anywhere?

I signed that petition about the CEO and her CBE. Fujitsu need to be held account also - a company I will NEVER work for or with me being in the IT industry.

Hope the postmasters affected do get justice after all this time. And when the CEO loses her CBE Alan Bates should be knighted...
[Post edited 6 Jan 13:44]

What I find perplexing is that if these sub-postmasters had been stealing the money, which they obviously weren’t, the forensic accountants certainly wouldn’t have had too much trouble locating it in their bank or savings accounts.
The fact that they never did find anything surely ought to have been an indication that no theft had taken place.
Post office / Horizon show on 14:55 - Jan 6 with 2026 viewsCateLeBonR

Post office / Horizon show on 11:32 - Jan 6 by derbyhoop

Amen to that.
I remember Computer Weekly reporting the scandal in the early 2000s.
The scale of the underhanded treatment of innocent people has, I believe, never come to light until recently. The TV programme really brought it home to the public. The minimal numbers who have received compensation and the scale of that compo is a disgrace.

Paula Vennels and her team should be prosecuted and stripped of honours. Lying to Parliament would be enough. But I can't see this Govt being prepared to sanction such a punishment for their mates.

2 episodes in now. It makes you realise what a bad job the news/media have done in presenting this story to the public. Or a good job depending on which way you look at it.
Post office / Horizon show on 07:02 - Jan 7 with 1857 viewsHantsR

Post office / Horizon show on 09:49 - Jan 3 by elnombre

I've been an Eye subscriber for longer than I can remember, but I think they would credit that hotbed of investigative journalism, 'Computer Weekly' for breaking the Horizon scandal story originally.

Edited...
[Post edited 3 Jan 23:22]

I think that's correct although I'm surprised that in the last week or so, I've not read or heard any mention of Richard Brooks' journalism on the subject outside Private Eye? I've also been a subscriber for decades and have boxes full of old issues at Hantsr stately mansion. ( alongside old QPR programmes) Anyway, although I felt I knew the case pretty well, I found the TV serial and documentary quite riveting as the brilliant, natural acting brought home the misery inflicted on all those innocent folk and the astonishing behaviour of the Post Office and Fujitsu. I think it will be a huge, overdue boost to the subpostmasters' campaign. The power of drama.
[Post edited 7 Jan 7:06]
Post office / Horizon show on 08:33 - Jan 7 with 1792 viewsBedford_R

Panaroma programme about the scandal originally broadcast in April 2022:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0016t20/panorama-the-post-office-scandal

Computer Weekly update on their long running investigations into it:-

https://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Post-Office-Horizon-scandal-explained-eve
[Post edited 7 Jan 16:28]

RMH_R Reborn

Post office / Horizon show on 16:33 - Jan 7 with 1567 viewsBedford_R

Couple more useful inks about the scandal.

Nick Wallis - one of the journalists who has been investigating the scandal for years has his own website on the subject:-
https://www.postofficescandal.uk/

There is a charity set up to help the sub postmasters who have suffered at the hands of the Post Office and the Horizon IT system:-
https://www.horizonscandalfund.org/

RMH_R Reborn

Post office / Horizon show on 17:34 - Jan 7 with 1500 viewsGroveR

Post office / Horizon show on 15:48 - Jan 5 by Northernr

Yeh I'm sure, but I did genuinely think it was an actor who's spent his entire life waiting for Nadhim Zahawi to arrive in a script somewhere.

"Right, if Nadim doesn't take it, get me Omid Djalili's agent on the phone"
"But he's Iranian, not Iraqi"
"Close enough..."
Post office / Horizon show on 17:35 - Jan 7 with 1500 viewswood_hoop

Am I just too cynical.....

[Post edited 7 Jan 17:38]
Post office / Horizon show on 19:26 - Jan 7 with 1395 viewsnumptydumpty

Unbelievable

Ex colleagues of mine worked for as they called it CAMP FUJITSU

But junior staff changing postmaster books remotely that was just seen as the postmaster s errors.

Fujitsu and Post Office cover up and tactics to delay the case or implicate innocent people to protect a "Brand".

Total Bullsh*t

Worked for a similar project for a similar package for M o D in 1990 when it was ICL. All the programmers were straight out of university and consistently claiming 90 hour weeks and we were told just to authorise their timesheets.

That was mad enough

A friend worked for Fujitsu, ten to fifteen years ago and was not allowed to talk about any aspect of his work and he never did but the nickname of CAMP FUJITSU, you start to wonder

They and chiefs at Post Office all should be held accountable and imprisoned. Utter disgrace.

Corporate affairs is a very murky and dirty industry at the top level but this is an extreme case but corruption of the highest level.

Awful awful people around that think they are all that. Sorry they are not !!
[Post edited 7 Jan 19:28]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Post office / Horizon show on 19:30 - Jan 7 with 1377 viewsnumptydumpty

Post office / Horizon show on 20:02 - Jan 3 by mart_Goblin

A priest telling people lies ?

Surely not?

Quelle surprise !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Post office / Horizon show on 22:30 - Jan 7 with 1283 viewsCiderwithRsie

Post office / Horizon show on 16:33 - Jan 7 by Bedford_R

Couple more useful inks about the scandal.

Nick Wallis - one of the journalists who has been investigating the scandal for years has his own website on the subject:-
https://www.postofficescandal.uk/

There is a charity set up to help the sub postmasters who have suffered at the hands of the Post Office and the Horizon IT system:-
https://www.horizonscandalfund.org/

Nick Wallis's Radio 4 series (which has been running on-and-off since 2020) is available (all 21 episodes so far) on BBC Sounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09jstz2
Post office / Horizon show on 23:23 - Jan 7 with 1260 viewsdaveB

Post office / Horizon show on 09:23 - Jan 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Bread and circuses,

you are right it shouldn't take a drama to wake people up but something done as well as this which shows how it affected real people is powerful and has made a difference.

Dramas about Stephen Lawrence and Hillsborough had a similar affect
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024