Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? 10:32 - Feb 7 with 7357 viewshubble

Don't you think this has been a fascinating season so far, indeed, perhaps the most fascinating for many years?

When it started, I imagine most of you, like me, were relying on a huge amount of hope. Because that was all we had really, versus the cold hard reality of a manager who was not only clearly completely out of his depth, but actively undermining the group psyche of the entire squad.

What I mean is that his core strategy seemed to be a bizarre Haka-style bravado, in place of anything resembling tactical analysis, positional awareness, or how to get the best out of a bunch of underperforming and dispirited players. Not long into the season, my impression was that the players pretty much downed tools in exasperation at what was going on. Indiscipline became rife, injuries multiplied. And as each game went by, we looked worse and worse and were soon teetering over the abyss.

Nevertheless, the fans kept turning up, hoping perhaps that their sheer collective will would lift the team above the level of being utterly dire. Surely the board would act? But when we went into the first international break and the manager was still in place we looked doomed. A large proportion of fans were crying out for that patron saint of teams in trouble: St. Colin of Warnock. For who else could save us? Who else would even come, for that matter? The list of alternative names of potential managers who might be crazy enough to take over did not look pretty.

And then a whole series of unexpected things happened. It seemed our owners finally awoke from their long stupor and realised that they could actually generate cash through naming rights. This was the start of a domino effect of events: Ainsworth was sacked, Amit resigned, Hoos became chairman and temporary CEO and, then, most incredible of all, a manager with genuine pedigree arrived. A foreign manager who spoke impeccable English: intelligent, eloquent, articulate, with fresh ideas, genuine experience, including, incredibly, a stint working with Millwall. How was this possible????

From the moment he arrived, the gloom lifted. The players were clearly revitalised. Players who had been resigned to the shadows came back into the light and started to shine: Willock in particular. A talisman in past seasons. Everything began to improve. And after a couple of creditable draws and a narrow defeat, we won three games on the spin. Amazing!

But this was a Herculean task, and inevitably the energy required to achieve escape velocity from the League 1 black hole seemed too much, even for a man of Marti Cifuentes' abilities, and we began to falter. But the remarkable events hadn't finished. A brand new CEO arrived, again, seemingly out of nowhere, young, with bright ideas, untarnished by the moldering Rangers legacy of old. But even he told us: there's no money for new players.

So we went into January with low expectations, and yet still the hope that our new coach could perform a minor miracle and turn things round. But with no injection of new players, how could this under-performing bunch survive? The end of January approached... Clearly there was no one coming in.

And then.... boom: Michi Frey (Who the f...?), well, better than nothing.... but no, there was more: Isaac Hayden - wow - a classy midfielder... WTF? But no, there was more: Joe Hodge, and young Ireland international from Wolves, a genuine talent.... WOW!

Suddenly things looked very different. Yet still we headed up to Ewood with our record there of no wins since 1999 glaring at us. Maybe a draw would do. No, we won!

And then, Lucas Andersen signed on as well.

So, here we are, with a completely different mindset from three months ago: comparing performance tables with, not just a modicum of genuine hope, but also admiration.

And this is why supporting a team like QPR is such a niche experience; something appreciated only by true connoisseurs of the beautiful game. Something mainstream armchair fans simply cannot understand. To stick to a belief in something as arbitrary as a 'football team', and not only that, but one that apparently rarely delivers the vicarious hit so craved on a weekly basis by the mainstream addicts, would appear, on the surface, to be some kind of perverse madness. But to those ITK (i.e. all of us who follow Rangers), this is why we do it. Because we are - whether by luck or judgement, it does not matter - football aficionados. And seasons like this are our pay-off. To be savoured like a fine wine, with all its unexpected depths and flavours and nuances.

Of course the season could still end up with the massive downer of relegation. But I don't think it will. I think we will survive, and then in years to come, we may even look back at this season as a remarkable turning point in the strange, chequered yet beautiful  history of Queens Park Rangers.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:41 - Feb 7 with 4567 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Imagine this;

A last minute Taylor Richards goal at Coventry on the last game of the season to leapfrog Millwall and send them down and put us into safety.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:58 - Feb 7 with 4493 viewsjoe90

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:41 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Imagine this;

A last minute Taylor Richards goal at Coventry on the last game of the season to leapfrog Millwall and send them down and put us into safety.

Followed by an undisclosed contract extension? It would be very QPR.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:12 - Feb 7 with 4428 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:58 - Feb 7 by joe90

Followed by an undisclosed contract extension? It would be very QPR.

I was hoping more for a £10m bid from birmingham haha
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:16 - Feb 7 with 4402 viewsPeterHucker

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all?

In a word, no!

I was at Blackburn and the second half was great fun, but to quote Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction, "let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet."

Yes we've signed 4 players, 2 of whom looked alright in the 30 minutes we've seen of them so far.

Yes we're a bit better since Cifuentes took over, but we are still averaging just 1 goal per game, which is not enough to stay up.

We've won 2 of the last 10 matches and we are still in the bottom 3.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:24 - Feb 7 with 4347 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:16 - Feb 7 by PeterHucker

In a word, no!

I was at Blackburn and the second half was great fun, but to quote Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction, "let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet."

Yes we've signed 4 players, 2 of whom looked alright in the 30 minutes we've seen of them so far.

Yes we're a bit better since Cifuentes took over, but we are still averaging just 1 goal per game, which is not enough to stay up.

You had to go and spoil it didn't you
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:31 - Feb 7 with 4315 viewsPeterHucker

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:24 - Feb 7 by CroydonCaptJack

You had to go and spoil it didn't you

😆
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:37 - Feb 7 with 4276 viewscolinallcars

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 10:41 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Imagine this;

Then, with seconds remaining, Begovic has to go off injured. Richards goes in goal and saves a stoppage time penalty.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:14 - Feb 7 with 4114 viewsstevec

I’ll reserve judgment until the seasons done.

10 years of watching this carcass slowly rotting from the inside, I’m not convinced cutting the disease out and resurrecting the animal can be carried out in the space of half a season.

Good luck to Marti, the new CEO and hopefully a tighter knit of trusted players can pull us out of this mess.

I do have greater hopes for the future now irrespective of which league we’re playing in next season.
Login to get fewer ads

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:19 - Feb 7 with 4082 viewsted_hendrix

As things stand and bearing in mind our current league position the last thing I was thinking about this season was savouring it.

In the main It's been dreadful.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:35 - Feb 7 with 4017 viewsE15Hoop

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:19 - Feb 7 by ted_hendrix

As things stand and bearing in mind our current league position the last thing I was thinking about this season was savouring it.

I think this thread is separating the "glass is half full" people out from the "glass is half empty" proponents !

I'm with Hubbs: Momentum is a big thing in football, as it is in any aspect of human endeavour, and we've now got genuine positive forwards motion.

That in itself is something to genuinely savour after the chaos we've all endured over these past couple of years in particular.

I do believe that we could go on a two points per game average run now, which would get us to 60 points and mid-table mediocrity -How good would that be, after all the angst of the last 6 months??
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:36 - Feb 7 with 4001 viewsbosh67

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:19 - Feb 7 by ted_hendrix

This but at least we have a half decent coach and a few new half decent recruits let's hope. Yes, savouring isn't exactly the word for it right now.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 13:36 - Feb 7 with 3806 viewsRangersw12

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:35 - Feb 7 by E15Hoop

I think this thread is separating the "glass is half full" people out from the "glass is half empty" proponents !

I'm with Hubbs: Momentum is a big thing in football, as it is in any aspect of human endeavour, and we've now got genuine positive forwards motion.

That in itself is something to genuinely savour after the chaos we've all endured over these past couple of years in particular.

I do believe that we could go on a two points per game average run now, which would get us to 60 points and mid-table mediocrity -How good would that be, after all the angst of the last 6 months??

It would be a miracle if we got up to 60 points and if it happend Marti should get EFL manager of the year and a statue in Batman Close !
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 13:38 - Feb 7 with 3795 viewsjohnhoop

A season to be savoured? For the most part, for those who only make it to home games, it’s been more of a season to be endured, with the exception of the odd bright spots like Stoke, Hull and Millwall.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 13:38 - Feb 7 with 3802 viewsPhildo

Can’t say it’s been enjoyable- will still need some good fortune to hang on and if that happened it would be more a feeling of relief rather than savour.

Chelsea palace millwall and Brentford starting to slowly circle the drain does provide some light relief though.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 13:49 - Feb 7 with 3732 viewsLongsufferingR

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 12:35 - Feb 7 by E15Hoop

I don't think it's a case of "glass half full", I think it's case of questioning what was actually in the glass to make anyone believe this has been a season to savour.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 13:50 - Feb 7 with 3715 viewsBoston

"Strange, chequered yet beautiful"...yeah, I've got hundreds of 'em, from the late 60's on, wife thinks I'm mad.
[Post edited 7 Feb 13:51]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 13:58 - Feb 7 with 3675 viewsJuzzie

I'll savour this season like I'd saviour a toxic relationship.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 14:01 - Feb 7 with 3663 viewsStanFan

Too early to tell. Loving the positivity at the moment but this club has let me down too often for me to trust it.

Problem is that however hard I try to tell myself that, I can't help getting swept along and ending up gutted.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 14:18 - Feb 7 with 3562 viewsTheChef

If we somehow stay up I will feel relieved.

If we go down it'll be disappointing but I'll mainly be shrugging my shoulders as the direction of travel the last few years has pretty much led to this point.

If we win all our remaining games then yes, I might consider savouring it!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 15:23 - Feb 7 with 3405 viewsTomS

I see where the OP is coming from, but savoured? Nahhh.

To savour an experience, you usually look back fondly.

This campaign is more like comparing an adrenaline rush to stress.

One is good for you and is an experience that is reflected upon fondly. Think going on a rollercoaster, where you know you'll be fine at the end of it. The other isn't at all good for your well-being.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 15:33 - Feb 7 with 3342 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 11:16 - Feb 7 by PeterHucker

In a word, no!

Never too early to start getting your dicks in a row!

That said, like you, it's a little too soon to be getting too excited. Some dicks might be getting a case of premature ejaculation at the thought of the Swiss Matterhorn running amok but however we look at it, we're looking better placed now than we were for a long time, and you do feel we're still in control of our destiny.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 16:08 - Feb 7 with 3211 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Even if we stay up, it certainly won't be a season to savour. Relief would probably be more accurate, followed by the usual hope that we've finally turned a corner.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 16:27 - Feb 7 with 3159 viewsdaveB

A week ago the season was over, anyone thinking we had a chance needed a reality check, what a difference 1 win makes
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 16:31 - Feb 7 with 3144 viewsPaddyhoops

Great post. Hopefully it will be a season of extremes. Horrendous first half . Excellent second .
Lot more reason for hope with the new loan signings .
Hayden and Hodge will be the difference . They look a cut above this level from the little I’ve seen .
Time will tell with Bentos and Gillian .
Might be a while before they get up to speed.
I thought we were gone a month ago .
We’ve got a huge chance now.
Is this, unexpectedly, a season to be savoured after all? on 17:03 - Feb 7 with 3000 viewstimcocking

If we stay up, yes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024