Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone’s fav striker 22:08 - Feb 17 with 4492 viewswombat

Yep Lyndon dykes , thought he was superb today , won a shed load of headers some great lays offs , helped by chair being more central at time , yes he don’t score many but he is invaluable to us in that role .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Everyone’s fav striker on 08:16 - Feb 18 with 1078 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 01:17 - Feb 18 by johncharles

You say fitness is an issue. Lyndon does 90minutes 3 times a week

Does 90 minutes of what though? I’m sure he’s a lovely guy, good physicality, is capable of putting the hard yards in, but ultimately he offers very little as an attacking threat. Our strikers and midfield have been really poor for two seasons and it is no coincidence that things are starting to improve now that Marti has brought some actual quality into the side.

Dykes will have a part to play this season, because we are still short of a quick, agile, goalscoring striker. The 3 we have will have to do for this season, but if we stay up, I fully expect a new striker in the summer and Dykes will be looking for pastures new.
Everyone’s fav striker on 08:45 - Feb 18 with 1005 viewsGaryBannister86

I've always had a decent amount of time for Dykes because he adds so much more to the team (thank goodness!) than goals.

But, having been there yesterday, I was really disappointed in him in the first half.

I wanted him replaced, but then in the second half I thought he was excellent at doing everything that I think he brings to the team.

Generally, much better from Willock yesterday, bar the finshing. Andersen really grew into it.

Cook - if he plays every game for the rest of the season, we have a real chance. Thought he was so good yet again.

A word for my favourite Gloves salesman - good save by him in the first half I thought, fair dos. Made himself big, which of course is definitely one thing he can excel at. Passing as hopeless ever, of course.

Interesting that I thought the away end was quite close after half an hour to turning on the players en masse (although may have just been my bit, was a bit in the corner) and the goal came at a rather opportune time in that respect. Pivotal moment?
Everyone’s fav striker on 08:48 - Feb 18 with 977 viewsstevec

Four seasons and he’s hit double figures once with Charlie guiding him along.

It’s simply not good enough.
Everyone’s fav striker on 08:50 - Feb 18 with 974 viewsParkRoyalR

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:46 - Feb 17 by Burnleyhoop

Win more headers than Dykes ever will. Score more goals than Dykes. Has more positional sense and awareness than Dykes ever will. You don’t need to run around a lot to score a goal. Remember Charlie Austin? Used to be a bricklayer and run like one.

Just what does Dykes actually do other than run around a bit. The guy is utterly clueless and has been for two seasons.

An international striker picked ahead of better players by a very astute Manager in Steve Clarke who understands football is a team game and you need players who compliment each other's styles and suit your preferred formation and tactics.

Or whack it over your three 10's for Armstrong + Smyth to chase after it U12's style.
Everyone’s fav striker on 08:55 - Feb 18 with 958 viewsParkRoyalR

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:54 - Feb 17 by Burnleyhoop

It fell apart, Brian, for the same reason it did the last time he came on. We dropped deep protecting a lead and left him isolated up front on his own, trying to cover the entire back four.

Would be interesting to see more of him when we are in the ascendancy and slinging crosses in for him to attack, which he has shown he is capable of. Dykes and Armstrong never attack anything coming into the box. Always on their heels and is part of the reason Chair gets frustrated when looking for a target to aim at.

Sorry Burnley, not wishing to provoke but...'Chair looking for a target to aim for...how can you do this when head is always down when you receive the ball and you're looking at your right foot the whole time?

If you see Frey's movement based on one run to near post, how have you not noticed the difference is Andersen playing with his head up and passing to his attackers in the box?

Compare Andersen and his assists in the last 2 games to Chair + Smyth!
Everyone’s fav striker on 09:14 - Feb 18 with 908 viewsDorse

Wasn't sure about Dykes' work yesterday but I tend to view it as a team performance. I don't criticise him for not scoring: when we won anyway, so his personal goal-tally is irrelevant. I don't doubt he made mistakes (first half air shot was appalling) but his work meant Dickie couldn't link up with their midfield and this put a real spanner in the works.

I know Dykes isn't a patch on some of the monsters we've played in his position - even in recent years, forget the legends! - but right now he's got the shirt and is being asked to play in a certain way. Yesterday it worked: it hasn't always and it's really irritating. Either way, we got the points and we're in a with a shout. Last 6 games netted us 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss (11 from 6). Dykes has been available for all of them. Goals or not something is working.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Everyone’s fav striker on 09:20 - Feb 18 with 895 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 08:50 - Feb 18 by ParkRoyalR

An international striker picked ahead of better players by a very astute Manager in Steve Clarke who understands football is a team game and you need players who compliment each other's styles and suit your preferred formation and tactics.

Or whack it over your three 10's for Armstrong + Smyth to chase after it U12's style.

Or play quality balls into the box to a striker that actually attacks the front post and has a vastly better goal scoring record than your current incumbents. Frey isn’t in the building because Dykes and Armstrong were banging them in for fun, I’d suggest it was quite the opposite. Dykes and Armstrong have a role to play, but scoring goals isn’t one of them. Disrupting defences, yes, but neither are particularly good at finding killer passes or contributing in a way that Anderson did yesterday.

Kakay and Hamilinen are internationals. They’re not up to much either. You select from the pool you have at your disposal. Dykes is usually on the bench when the “better” strikers are available.
Everyone’s fav striker on 09:21 - Feb 18 with 887 viewsLordPork

well according to the majority of the Bristol City supporters he was one of out best players.

Won the majority of headers coming his way and engaged their back line continually giving them no room

have a read of their Forum, I don't think they'd misread his performance.
Login to get fewer ads

Everyone’s fav striker on 09:37 - Feb 18 with 830 viewsParkRoyalR

Everyone’s fav striker on 09:20 - Feb 18 by Burnleyhoop

Or play quality balls into the box to a striker that actually attacks the front post and has a vastly better goal scoring record than your current incumbents. Frey isn’t in the building because Dykes and Armstrong were banging them in for fun, I’d suggest it was quite the opposite. Dykes and Armstrong have a role to play, but scoring goals isn’t one of them. Disrupting defences, yes, but neither are particularly good at finding killer passes or contributing in a way that Anderson did yesterday.

Kakay and Hamilinen are internationals. They’re not up to much either. You select from the pool you have at your disposal. Dykes is usually on the bench when the “better” strikers are available.

Burnley you posted he won no headers, then maybe one, then DMM posted he won a game leading high of 6,

You hav'nt noticed that Anderson has been the difference and if you re-watch even the 2 minute Sky Highlights for just our home games this season you will see numerous examples of Dykes being on his toes and making runs ahead of his man to the near post,

Only difference being instead of a precision pass from Andersen you'll see Smyth whack it to the opposite corner flag and Chair play his solo round the pole half time game and take too many touches,

Dykes did so much good yesterday but unless he scores many of our fans just don't see it or just change the facts to suit their argument.
Everyone’s fav striker on 09:53 - Feb 18 with 793 viewsLadbrokeR

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:02 - Feb 17 by Ned_Kennedys

Now that Dozzell has been fecked off its obvious that some are happy to have Dykes as their new scapegoat. A few on the match thread taking great pleasure from the Bristol Ciry commentators criticising him.

Most of those who have posted on here who were actually at the game seem to think he did ok: that’ll do for me. He’s here til at least the end of the season and will no doubt contribute positively to our relegation fight.

Lets be honest we don’t really need Dozzell to leave in order to criticise Dykes.
Everyone’s fav striker on 10:03 - Feb 18 with 770 viewsgazza1

Our levels of expectancy for LD is very low (it has got to be).....he was average yesterday, he won a few headers and laid off a few balls (well done), did not look like scoring. Doubt that he will be selected next Saturday.

I listened to the Bristol feed yesterday (only one I could get), Tony Thorpe thought he is a very poor CF, laughed when he fell over in the first half trying to have a shot.
Everyone’s fav striker on 10:36 - Feb 18 with 678 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 09:37 - Feb 18 by ParkRoyalR

Burnley you posted he won no headers, then maybe one, then DMM posted he won a game leading high of 6,

You hav'nt noticed that Anderson has been the difference and if you re-watch even the 2 minute Sky Highlights for just our home games this season you will see numerous examples of Dykes being on his toes and making runs ahead of his man to the near post,

Only difference being instead of a precision pass from Andersen you'll see Smyth whack it to the opposite corner flag and Chair play his solo round the pole half time game and take too many touches,

Dykes did so much good yesterday but unless he scores many of our fans just don't see it or just change the facts to suit their argument.

I’ve watched pretty much every game for the last two seasons and have been a Rangers fan for more than 40 years. You really telling me that Dykes won more headers than anyone else on the pitch yesterday? More than any of the centre halves, including our own? Not having it.

How many assists / goals has Dykes racked up this season? For a so called international striker it is nothing short of abysmal. Defend him all you like, he is a very poor striker at this level, maybe not the worst we have had, but not far from it.

I hope he scores a hatrick next week and shuts me up, but I won’t be putting my mortgage on it and I don’t think you would either.
Everyone’s fav striker on 10:38 - Feb 18 with 667 viewsRangersw12

I must have watched a different as to me he didn't win a single header and was his usual ineffectual self
Everyone’s fav striker on 10:46 - Feb 18 with 649 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 10:03 - Feb 18 by gazza1

Our levels of expectancy for LD is very low (it has got to be).....he was average yesterday, he won a few headers and laid off a few balls (well done), did not look like scoring. Doubt that he will be selected next Saturday.

I listened to the Bristol feed yesterday (only one I could get), Tony Thorpe thought he is a very poor CF, laughed when he fell over in the first half trying to have a shot.

And the comments weren’t based on his performance in the game, but across his contribution for QPR throughout this season.

His “air” shot says it all really.
Everyone’s fav striker on 11:52 - Feb 18 with 570 viewsLadbrokeR

Everyone’s fav striker on 10:46 - Feb 18 by Burnleyhoop

And the comments weren’t based on his performance in the game, but across his contribution for QPR throughout this season.

His “air” shot says it all really.

In his defence he defends when required and is probably better than Armstrong at doing this. I don’t think his link up play is anything to write home about. All said his primary role is a striker and his job is scoring goals.
Everyone’s fav striker on 12:05 - Feb 18 with 529 viewsmart_Goblin

Ah, the Lyndon Dykes quandary.

Hard to disagree with most of the criticism of him. He doesn’t score enough goals plain and simple. It’s ultimately what he’s there for so dropping him over the last few games was right in my opinion.

But I can’t be a hypocrite and say it’s ok for Sinclair not to score goals as he adds other things to the team and then not acknowledge what Lyndon adds too. I deliberately watched the Dykes/Dickie battle closely yesterday and it was about even but he won some important knock downs in there and I think Dickie didn’t cover himself in glory either.
He gives his all every match and even Anderson praised his movement to create space for Chair. I think a lot of his contributions go a little unnoticed.

However the air shot was embarrassing yesterday so I’m torn.
I think the Bristol City co commentator yesterday was being very disrespectful and playing lip service to their fans. I wonder if he’d say it to his face ?
He was also asking for football karma to get him and it did . Prick.

I think Rotherham will sit deep to start with on Saturday as that’s how teams beat us at Loftus Road which means he won’t start Sinclair and Dykes will start. He’s someone I really want it to work for (same with SA) but he has to take chances if he gets them now . It could be the difference between him going to the Euros or not which must be in the bs m of his mind.
Everyone’s fav striker on 12:19 - Feb 18 with 503 viewsStanisgod

Everyone’s fav striker on 12:05 - Feb 18 by mart_Goblin

Ah, the Lyndon Dykes quandary.

Hard to disagree with most of the criticism of him. He doesn’t score enough goals plain and simple. It’s ultimately what he’s there for so dropping him over the last few games was right in my opinion.

But I can’t be a hypocrite and say it’s ok for Sinclair not to score goals as he adds other things to the team and then not acknowledge what Lyndon adds too. I deliberately watched the Dykes/Dickie battle closely yesterday and it was about even but he won some important knock downs in there and I think Dickie didn’t cover himself in glory either.
He gives his all every match and even Anderson praised his movement to create space for Chair. I think a lot of his contributions go a little unnoticed.

However the air shot was embarrassing yesterday so I’m torn.
I think the Bristol City co commentator yesterday was being very disrespectful and playing lip service to their fans. I wonder if he’d say it to his face ?
He was also asking for football karma to get him and it did . Prick.

I think Rotherham will sit deep to start with on Saturday as that’s how teams beat us at Loftus Road which means he won’t start Sinclair and Dykes will start. He’s someone I really want it to work for (same with SA) but he has to take chances if he gets them now . It could be the difference between him going to the Euros or not which must be in the bs m of his mind.

It was Tony Thorpe who knows a thing or two about goalscoring, although I do agree that he was a bit out of order actually saying outright that he didn't know what exactly Dykes brings to any football team ! Couldn't believe my ears and apparently it's not the first time he has dug him out. Even if you think it you don't normally come out with it on air.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024