Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Field 07:23 - Mar 7 with 3345 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Has never hidden during the past 18months of absolute dross, sometimes carrying the midfield on his own so thoroughly deserved his goals last night.
Great to see him getting into the box and finishing chances.

Well played, sir.
Field on 07:31 - Mar 7 with 2873 viewsChrisNW6

Most consistent player in many years and his performances in the last few weeks have been brilliant. He would be my priority in any upcoming contract negotiations.

Putting himself in POTY territory once again.
Field on 07:38 - Mar 7 with 2826 viewsMalintabuk

First name on the sheet for me and as rightly said never hid, never threw a injury get out through the absolute dross of the past.
For me the most important player in our squad
Field on 07:53 - Mar 7 with 2729 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Delighted for him.

He's been off form for a while and I worried that he'd never make it at defensive midfield in a Cifuentes team as he clearly does not want the ball there, pointing always for it to go left or right as long as it's not to him.

The move further forward has helped him, though. Not as much pressure there in terms of receiving and playing quickly and under pressure.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Field on 08:00 - Mar 7 with 2695 viewsPaddyhoops

Field on 07:38 - Mar 7 by Malintabuk

First name on the sheet for me and as rightly said never hid, never threw a injury get out through the absolute dross of the past.
For me the most important player in our squad

Outstanding as always. Great depth in the squad now .
Willock , Colback and Armoall didn’t start.
Field on 08:01 - Mar 7 with 2686 viewsloftboy

And he celebrated against his boyhood club.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Field on 08:06 - Mar 7 with 2640 viewsRangersw12

He's improved immensely over the last few weeks and that suspension came at the right time to give him a break .

Brilliant performance
Field on 08:15 - Mar 7 with 2569 viewsgazza1

A top professional, a proper player.

Been a 'rock' since he has been here, it has been very tough season for him this year, played some good stuff last few games.

He appears to be much better going forward as well, using the ball much more positively. Maybe the Manager/Coach and some of the new players have been giving him some forward thinking education.

Very good last night. Well done to him.
Field on 08:17 - Mar 7 with 2554 viewsdmm

Cifuentes has a bit of a quandary ahead of Boro now. Who does he pick out of Field, Hayden and Colback? I'd bench Colback to bring on later in the game. You couldn't omit Field after last night.
Login to get fewer ads

Field on 08:36 - Mar 7 with 2473 viewsgazza1

Field on 08:17 - Mar 7 by dmm

Cifuentes has a bit of a quandary ahead of Boro now. Who does he pick out of Field, Hayden and Colback? I'd bench Colback to bring on later in the game. You couldn't omit Field after last night.

Tough call for MC.....he may find a place for all 3. It depends on how MC looks at the situation.

Good problem for MC & his team.
Field on 09:00 - Mar 7 with 2381 viewsHunterhoop

Field on 07:53 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Delighted for him.

He's been off form for a while and I worried that he'd never make it at defensive midfield in a Cifuentes team as he clearly does not want the ball there, pointing always for it to go left or right as long as it's not to him.

The move further forward has helped him, though. Not as much pressure there in terms of receiving and playing quickly and under pressure.

His (in)ability on the ball has been grossly overstated. It has become a narrative that I simply don’t agree with. He isn’t poor on the ball. Compare him to central midfielders past and present we’ve had at this level. He is streets better than most on the ball. He simply fell into the trap many others in the team did, including the full backs, Dozzell, even Colback, of playing it safely, which often meant square or backwards…and this was the case for half a season. Last season he was POTY and his goal at Burnley kept us up.

Off the ball, he is genuinely exceptional. Watch him. He is far better than both Hayden and Colback out of possession. He is far better than Derry was, far better than the likes of Holloway, etc from years gone by. Off the ball he is the best “6” we have had in decades. It’s not sexy so it gets overlooked. Given how bad our defence was last season he was the sole reason we stayed up.

Re-signing him is the number one priority.
Field on 09:09 - Mar 7 with 2338 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Field on 09:00 - Mar 7 by Hunterhoop

His (in)ability on the ball has been grossly overstated. It has become a narrative that I simply don’t agree with. He isn’t poor on the ball. Compare him to central midfielders past and present we’ve had at this level. He is streets better than most on the ball. He simply fell into the trap many others in the team did, including the full backs, Dozzell, even Colback, of playing it safely, which often meant square or backwards…and this was the case for half a season. Last season he was POTY and his goal at Burnley kept us up.

Off the ball, he is genuinely exceptional. Watch him. He is far better than both Hayden and Colback out of possession. He is far better than Derry was, far better than the likes of Holloway, etc from years gone by. Off the ball he is the best “6” we have had in decades. It’s not sexy so it gets overlooked. Given how bad our defence was last season he was the sole reason we stayed up.

I'm a huge fan, too. Not as much as you maybe Hunter, but a huge fan nonetheless.

And I didn't comment on his ability or otherwise on the ball, to be fair. I think he's ok in that department, no more, but certainly no less.

He just didn't want the ball off the keeper or centre-backs when he was playing at 6 under Cifuentes, is my point. You could see him every time pointing to the ball carrier to pass it to his (Field's) left or right. And that won't do under Cifuentes' preferred style, where the pivot has to comfortable facing his own goals too.

He looks more comfortable away from that spot imo. And can also play centre-back!

He has one more year to run, but I'd love to see him get a new deal.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Field on 09:17 - Mar 7 with 2276 viewsPhilmyRs

Field on 09:09 - Mar 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm a huge fan, too. Not as much as you maybe Hunter, but a huge fan nonetheless.

And I didn't comment on his ability or otherwise on the ball, to be fair. I think he's ok in that department, no more, but certainly no less.

He just didn't want the ball off the keeper or centre-backs when he was playing at 6 under Cifuentes, is my point. You could see him every time pointing to the ball carrier to pass it to his (Field's) left or right. And that won't do under Cifuentes' preferred style, where the pivot has to comfortable facing his own goals too.

He looks more comfortable away from that spot imo. And can also play centre-back!

He has one more year to run, but I'd love to see him get a new deal.

I agree with this.

I like Field too but playing just in front of the back 4 he is limited - picking up the ball and moving it progressively forward is something he’s not suited to. He’s side ways or back usually. The greater willingness to go longer from the keeper - sometimes to Jimmy D, sometimes to Frey has helped massively too. Not so vital for him to link up directly from the keeper, he can pick up loose balls and has a bit more freedom.
Field on 09:32 - Mar 7 with 2213 viewsPaddyhoops

Field on 08:00 - Mar 7 by Paddyhoops

Outstanding as always. Great depth in the squad now .
Willock , Colback and Armoall didn’t start.

Armoall? 🤦🏼‍♂️. I meant Armstrong.
Field on 10:18 - Mar 7 with 2074 viewsCamberleyR

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Field on 10:38 - Mar 7 with 2015 viewsParkRoyalR

Field on 09:17 - Mar 7 by PhilmyRs

I agree with this.

I like Field too but playing just in front of the back 4 he is limited - picking up the ball and moving it progressively forward is something he’s not suited to. He’s side ways or back usually. The greater willingness to go longer from the keeper - sometimes to Jimmy D, sometimes to Frey has helped massively too. Not so vital for him to link up directly from the keeper, he can pick up loose balls and has a bit more freedom.

Not being sarcastic but we're not Man City playing in the Champions League,

We're in the Championship where without players like Field + Dunne you turn in performances like Stoke Away on a Tuesday night,

I get your point but Field when facing forward can pick a pass and is under-rated on the ball (like Dunne is, who showed Chair last night how to beat your man on the outside and put in a superb pin-point cross on your weaker foot)

Field is a must starter for me and either Colback or Hadyn be the preferred option to take the ball when they're facing our defence.
Field on 11:28 - Mar 7 with 1880 viewsMalintabuk

Superb post and echos what I think. I'm amazed that he is still here, and I think he is only still here because, for the past 2 years, who would want anyone from our basket case of a club.
Think now there will be several suitors for some of our players
Field on 12:03 - Mar 7 with 1786 viewsPhilmyRs

Field on 10:38 - Mar 7 by ParkRoyalR

Not being sarcastic but we're not Man City playing in the Champions League,

We're in the Championship where without players like Field + Dunne you turn in performances like Stoke Away on a Tuesday night,

I get your point but Field when facing forward can pick a pass and is under-rated on the ball (like Dunne is, who showed Chair last night how to beat your man on the outside and put in a superb pin-point cross on your weaker foot)

Field is a must starter for me and either Colback or Hadyn be the preferred option to take the ball when they're facing our defence.

The point I’m making is if we play a pragmatic way, like I’d argue we’ve done a bit more of recently and don’t overplay at the back, Field is great. No coincidence that his best run where he really stood out was under Ainsworth who was anti playing out. If we were to play to what I think is the Manager’s preferred style and always look to pass out and Field needs to receive in tight areas and build from the back, he’s no way near as effective and not as suited as others. His goal scoring and ability to press and get into the box raises potential for him to fulfil a different role though too
Field on 12:12 - Mar 7 with 1746 viewsParkRoyalR

Field on 12:03 - Mar 7 by PhilmyRs

The point I’m making is if we play a pragmatic way, like I’d argue we’ve done a bit more of recently and don’t overplay at the back, Field is great. No coincidence that his best run where he really stood out was under Ainsworth who was anti playing out. If we were to play to what I think is the Manager’s preferred style and always look to pass out and Field needs to receive in tight areas and build from the back, he’s no way near as effective and not as suited as others. His goal scoring and ability to press and get into the box raises potential for him to fulfil a different role though too

Agree with all your points but my concern with Marti initially was that he was a purist who was wedded to say a 4-3-3 preferred formation with a squad at that time without midfield players who suited a 3 and losing our edge by benching players who were supposedly weaker in possession (Field + Dunne)

I agree Field isn't comfortable receiving the ball when facing the Centre Backs as doesn't have that half-turn in his locker like Hadyn + Colback,

But his so many other attributes offset this weakness and this is where Cook + JCS can do more by using him as that wall type pass and then stepping up themselves with the ball as Dickie did to such good effect and Dunne is prepared to do,

My concern initially with Marti is we're in the £1m - £2m price range for players and you have to adapt your tactics to suits the skillsets in this price range, which he is now successfully doing.
Field on 12:45 - Mar 7 with 1639 viewswestberksr

pretty much this.....

Field has been the most consistent player at the club since he joined; whilst also watching a conveyor belt of shite midfielders line up next to him.

delighted that any sign of a dip in form is behind him (possibly down to frustration and exhaustion of carrying the team) and he is now more comfortable in the Marti team shape & style.

a real asset to the team
[Post edited 7 Mar 12:47]
Field on 13:12 - Mar 7 with 1515 viewsnix

Field on 12:45 - Mar 7 by westberksr

pretty much this.....

Field has been the most consistent player at the club since he joined; whilst also watching a conveyor belt of shite midfielders line up next to him.

delighted that any sign of a dip in form is behind him (possibly down to frustration and exhaustion of carrying the team) and he is now more comfortable in the Marti team shape & style.

a real asset to the team
[Post edited 7 Mar 12:47]

Yeah, he definitely looks enlivened after the rest, having Hayden alongside him and much more movement in front of him. We didn't have anyone making decisive movement or runs to pass onto earlier in the season.

Looking at us yesterday our movement has improved massively. We had been really static but players like Anderson and Frey are not afraid of the ball and Chair and Willock look livelier for not having to create everything in the final third any longer.
[Post edited 7 Mar 18:30]
Field on 18:09 - Mar 7 with 1299 viewsPetros

Stroke of genius, pushing him forward: turns out that the assets which make him a great tackler - anticipation, courage, sharpness - also make him something of a goal poacher. Those two last night were Bryan Robson-ish.
Field on 19:15 - Mar 7 with 1226 viewsbarbicanranger

Per the original post - he has played with some absolute dross and still done himself proud. Amazing to see what having a good partner in the middle does for him.
Field on 19:45 - Mar 7 with 1167 viewsNorthantsHoop

Give him a new contract asap.
Field on 20:49 - Mar 7 with 1076 viewsHarbour

Very happy for him always gives 100% never hides. Has improved like Jimmy under a proper coach.
Field on 11:03 - Mar 8 with 884 viewsbosh67

Field on 19:45 - Mar 7 by NorthantsHoop

Give him a new contract asap.

Definitely the kind of character we need at this club. His interviews are excellent and he comes across as an extremely intelligent man. A role model for others in work ethic and application. Playing further up the park massively suits him and he is extremely quick for a tall player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024