Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts post Birmingham 10:22 - Mar 30 with 8162 viewshopekillsyou

Looking at our record since Marti took over, If we average points per game, it’s 35 over 25 games or 1.4 points per game.
On that basis we would have 54.6 points ( rather than 43) after 39 games which would make us 10th ( where Middlesbrough currently sit…) and long shots for the playoffs.
So ( deep breath…) assuming we are now going to be safe this season ( I think we need 53 points to be absolutely sure and if we maintain the current points per game ratio we should get there) we only need marginal changes to the squad to become a promotion chasing side.
Impressed by Bacuna yesterday - he stood out in an otherwise poor Birmingham side. Good role model for Armstrong who was surprisingly disappointing ( well…apart from playing a part in setting up THAT goal…)
Should Marti play Anderson, Chair and Willpck together - all players who want a lot of the ball? I’m not sure. I guess a good problem for a manager to have.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 16:03 - Mar 30 with 2046 viewsBluce_Ree

We're still weighed down with a lot of players who just aren't up to the standard we need to even think about the play offs or anything like that but the big change between Ainsworth and Marti is that Ainsworth was happy to give the opponent the ball for most of the game whereas now we hold onto it. Ainsworth's overall tactic of giving up possession is the dumbest thing ever and he's definitely going to be remembered as one of our very worst managers.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Thoughts post Birmingham on 16:12 - Mar 30 with 2031 viewsT_Block

Yes 48 points will keep us up with our superior goal difference
Thoughts post Birmingham on 17:00 - Mar 30 with 1887 viewsgazza1

Really, I think we are short in two areas....GK & Striker. I am sure that will be our priorities.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 17:14 - Mar 30 with 1840 viewsLblock

Returning to yesterdays game…..

That ref was a bit of a tvvat was he not?
Sam Field was denied a blatant penalty when going for the rebound on Chairs header - very very obvious pull back to my eyes at the time

Brums goal came from the ref basically turning the ball over for them.
From a nonsense stop of the game for a non head injury he pulled us back when in attacking possession and deep into our own half. From that we gave up possession lamely but it wouldn’t have happened without the ref.

Following on from the WBA volleyball save I’m really hoping we get the rub of the green from refs over the next seven games

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Thoughts post Birmingham on 17:32 - Mar 30 with 1776 viewsWatfordR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 17:14 - Mar 30 by Lblock

Sam Field was denied a blatant penalty when going for the rebound on Chairs header - very very obvious pull back to my eyes at the time

From a nonsense stop of the game for a non head injury he pulled us back when in attacking possession and deep into our own half. From that we gave up possession lamely but it wouldn’t have happened without the ref.

Following on from the WBA volleyball save I’m really hoping we get the rub of the green from refs over the next seven games

Yeah he was. I couldn't understand at the time that drop ball being taken from about 10 yards from their dead ball line to the half way line, allowing Brum to push up and press the restart. If that's another new rule this season, I've missed it and haven't seen another incident remotely like it.

When they won a free kick just after, I was sitting there fully expecting they would score from it. In fact, I thought he'd give us the free kick to try and level up what appeared to be an obvious rickett by the ref .
Thoughts post Birmingham on 17:32 - Mar 30 with 1775 viewsHoopstar

I was semi-impressed with the ref first half, did seem to give everything a foul though and it was a wonder someone didn't take a dive in one of the boxes. He totally lost the plot second half however - no idea what was going on, could have sown the AR in front of Stan Bowles stand was laughing at a few of the comments going the refs way with that drop ball.

Additions wise - don't think it seems likely/sensible that Hayden would come in as a perm? Just turned 29 so hardly the profile and a tad expensive? Has been great for us however, reads the game at this level brilliantly.

Desperately need a regular starter with pace watching a breakaway around the 35th minute and it took 15-20 seconds for any of our forward midfielders to get up the pitch in support of the attack.

If we do stay up agree strikers and a new keeper (please) are the priorities, but I would still love us to go in for Rudoni if Hudds went down. Need someone breaking into the box like he does, only scored 1 in 10 in a poor Hudds team but always impressed by him when I see him and a missed opportunity when he was leaving AFC Wimbledon.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 18:08 - Mar 30 with 1707 viewsdmm

How long has it been since we had a genuine midfield maestro who could truly boss the centre of the park? I think we have to go back to Ale Faurlin to find one.

Of course, I agree a striker and keeper will be priorities and players to replace Illy and Willy. But, I'd love it if we could unearth another Faurlin.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 18:20 - Mar 30 with 1667 viewsLondon_Pride

Thoughts post Birmingham on 18:08 - Mar 30 by dmm

How long has it been since we had a genuine midfield maestro who could truly boss the centre of the park? I think we have to go back to Ale Faurlin to find one.

Of course, I agree a striker and keeper will be priorities and players to replace Illy and Willy. But, I'd love it if we could unearth another Faurlin.

I don’t think that we have seen the best of Anderson yet. If he stays next year, he could go on to be better than Faulin.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts post Birmingham on 19:04 - Mar 30 with 1561 viewskensalriser

Thoughts post Birmingham on 17:14 - Mar 30 by Lblock

Totally egregious when he pulled up play during our attack and put us 40 yards back for the restart. Incomprehensible.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thoughts post Birmingham on 19:18 - Mar 30 with 1510 viewsmart_Goblin

If we are going to nitpick as it appears some are, I think teams are targeting Paal now and sending a lot of high ball his way. The player gets the run on him and beats him every time .

Slowly, Marti is weeding out the players who don’t meet his standards. I wonder if in the summer , if we stay up , Marti might look at upgrading at left back ?
Thoughts post Birmingham on 19:19 - Mar 30 with 1506 viewsMrSheen

Thoughts post Birmingham on 14:28 - Mar 30 by saxbend

I wasn't impressed with any of Birmingham's players. I thought the whole team was dreadful. Maybe Paik and Ruddy might make our bench. Bacuna scored with a great finish but he was a Hoilettesque possession sink for most of the game.

I must have been watching a different game! I thought he was terrific yesterday, always demanding the ball and getting them going forward, I can’t believe he wasn’t closed down more directly. Colback made his life a little more difficult when he came on and Bacuna hobbled off later. I think the verdict on Rowett becoming too negative is harsh too. Even with his best player forced off, Stansfield had a shot into the side netting that looked in from my seat and they had that late free kick just before Jimmy’s goal I could hardly bear to watch. If Bacuna’s OK and they set up like that again I can see them chiselling out a couple of wins.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 19:54 - Mar 30 with 1437 viewsdmm

Thoughts post Birmingham on 18:20 - Mar 30 by London_Pride

I don’t think that we have seen the best of Anderson yet. If he stays next year, he could go on to be better than Faulin.

I like Andersen a lot and think you may be right that we've not yet seen him at his best. But as a 10 he's a different type of player to Faurlin who was an 8.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 20:29 - Mar 30 with 1358 viewsToast_R

The whole setup seems a whole lot more professional since Marti came in. The players look aligned rather than the way they looked under Ainsworth which seemed to be a disjointed rabble sniggering behind the managers back a bit. Don't know if that's true obviously.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 02:42 - Mar 31 with 1155 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Thoughts post Birmingham on 10:27 - Mar 30 by paulparker

Marti has done well but I wasn’t that impressed with us yesterday bar the goal I thought we lacked intensity and composure and we couldn’t of moaned if that game finished 1-1
What I will say with Marti is he has us set up not to concede and we do look a hell of lot more organised in defence and midfield, one thing I do hope is that we start doing something with corners as they are quite poor and have been for sometime
Also plus points for ditching Dozzell & Kakay though

He’s working with what he’s got mate, i.e., one hand tied behind his back. If we stay up, I think you’ll agree, next season could be fun.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 06:35 - Mar 31 with 1100 viewsnumptydumpty

Thoughts post Birmingham on 02:42 - Mar 31 by daveinmelbourne

He’s working with what he’s got mate, i.e., one hand tied behind his back. If we stay up, I think you’ll agree, next season could be fun.

Next season transfer window will be interesting, providing we stay up, which is looking hopeful now.

Who he gets in, will be as telling as who leaves.

Think Dykes, Kakay, Dozzell, Begovic, Cannon the most likely to leave.

Some mention Paal. I think he is reasonable but he may face competition from a new signing perhaps. Hope somehow we can retain both Hayden and Hodge also as think both can add something although am unsure we will be able to achieve this.

I think two wins will do it, considering our goal difference advantage also, but sure if we get two more wins, we will also get at least one more draw minimum elsewhere.
From where we were though Cifuentes has performed a minor miracle.

The results as well as the style of play is light years from where we were and all the squad are buying into this new Marti style culture.

Last season and the first half of this season, Birmingham taking the lead - that would have been the end of the game and we would probably have ended up losing three nil. The fightback and passion has not been isolated to the odd game either.

Also, am hopeful with the new set up above the manager. To see potential in Dunne at Right Back also, probably not many others could have foreseen that working.

Love Les, but it was time for a new broom. Hoos as well, for me also has worked hard for ourselves but it was time for a change and the fact the owners have brought in this new man at the top, who is incredibly young but so far, I have high hopes.

Was it down to him and Marti combined to get the four new players in and to get Dozzell off our books also, that would have been a hard sell, but it worked.

The renaming of the stadium amongst other things enabled us to pay off Ainsworth and I feared we had no opportunities to get rid of him, let alone even get in one new player.

So to get in a new progressive manager and four players that have all added depth and quality has also been a minor miracle.

Appreciate if we had not won on Friday, all of our words would be more guarded, but there seems a togetherness about the squad now, shown by the absolute delight of every player towards Jimmy's winner on Saturday.

I guess as the advertising slogans would go if Carlsberg did last minute winners, then a twenty five yard volley from a limited, but wholehearted defender, close to becoming a fans favourite, then that moment was our Carlsberg moment.

One other thing that have noticed , both home and away, the attendances as well as the support for the team has been incredible. The fans have definitely been the twelfth man, whereas for 18 months, we all just turned up, out of duty, but the enthusiasm and passion from all of us was completely drained from every pore !!

I had hated going along for some time, more like something I had to do as wished to do, and especially the home form, which had been about as bad as I have ever known it, over a consistently long period.

Onwards and upwards.

Four points from the next two games and I believe we can almost relax.

Cmon you Rrrs !!!
[Post edited 31 Mar 6:35]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Thoughts post Birmingham on 07:47 - Mar 31 with 1039 viewsdm97

Watched it back a couple times. Thought brum were bizarrely open, especially for a Rowett team. Think it’s interesting how much PR guys like him get for being hard to beat, but when you look all the underlying numbers and just use your eyes - Marti has done just that to us, not that the British sports media has the ability to give a foreign coach credit in the way they would if he was a 60 year old merry go round manager.

If it wasn’t for McKenna doing probably the best managerial job ever at this level, Marti would be in the running for MOTS without doubt.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 08:39 - Mar 31 with 977 viewsgazza1

Thoughts post Birmingham on 19:18 - Mar 30 by mart_Goblin

If we are going to nitpick as it appears some are, I think teams are targeting Paal now and sending a lot of high ball his way. The player gets the run on him and beats him every time .

Slowly, Marti is weeding out the players who don’t meet his standards. I wonder if in the summer , if we stay up , Marti might look at upgrading at left back ?

Paal is one of our best footballers.....and a very decent player.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 08:58 - Mar 31 with 941 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Thoughts post Birmingham on 06:35 - Mar 31 by numptydumpty

Next season transfer window will be interesting, providing we stay up, which is looking hopeful now.

Who he gets in, will be as telling as who leaves.

Think Dykes, Kakay, Dozzell, Begovic, Cannon the most likely to leave.

Some mention Paal. I think he is reasonable but he may face competition from a new signing perhaps. Hope somehow we can retain both Hayden and Hodge also as think both can add something although am unsure we will be able to achieve this.

I think two wins will do it, considering our goal difference advantage also, but sure if we get two more wins, we will also get at least one more draw minimum elsewhere.
From where we were though Cifuentes has performed a minor miracle.

The results as well as the style of play is light years from where we were and all the squad are buying into this new Marti style culture.

Last season and the first half of this season, Birmingham taking the lead - that would have been the end of the game and we would probably have ended up losing three nil. The fightback and passion has not been isolated to the odd game either.

Also, am hopeful with the new set up above the manager. To see potential in Dunne at Right Back also, probably not many others could have foreseen that working.

Love Les, but it was time for a new broom. Hoos as well, for me also has worked hard for ourselves but it was time for a change and the fact the owners have brought in this new man at the top, who is incredibly young but so far, I have high hopes.

Was it down to him and Marti combined to get the four new players in and to get Dozzell off our books also, that would have been a hard sell, but it worked.

The renaming of the stadium amongst other things enabled us to pay off Ainsworth and I feared we had no opportunities to get rid of him, let alone even get in one new player.

So to get in a new progressive manager and four players that have all added depth and quality has also been a minor miracle.

Appreciate if we had not won on Friday, all of our words would be more guarded, but there seems a togetherness about the squad now, shown by the absolute delight of every player towards Jimmy's winner on Saturday.

I guess as the advertising slogans would go if Carlsberg did last minute winners, then a twenty five yard volley from a limited, but wholehearted defender, close to becoming a fans favourite, then that moment was our Carlsberg moment.

One other thing that have noticed , both home and away, the attendances as well as the support for the team has been incredible. The fans have definitely been the twelfth man, whereas for 18 months, we all just turned up, out of duty, but the enthusiasm and passion from all of us was completely drained from every pore !!

I had hated going along for some time, more like something I had to do as wished to do, and especially the home form, which had been about as bad as I have ever known it, over a consistently long period.

Onwards and upwards.

Four points from the next two games and I believe we can almost relax.

Cmon you Rrrs !!!
[Post edited 31 Mar 6:35]

Paal was beaten in the air by Laird throughout the game. It's a real flaw in his game - I remember it happening against Huddersfield too.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 09:26 - Mar 31 with 912 viewsnix

Thoughts post Birmingham on 07:47 - Mar 31 by dm97

Watched it back a couple times. Thought brum were bizarrely open, especially for a Rowett team. Think it’s interesting how much PR guys like him get for being hard to beat, but when you look all the underlying numbers and just use your eyes - Marti has done just that to us, not that the British sports media has the ability to give a foreign coach credit in the way they would if he was a 60 year old merry go round manager.

If it wasn’t for McKenna doing probably the best managerial job ever at this level, Marti would be in the running for MOTS without doubt.

I was listening to a fairly sensible Championship podcast on YouTube the other day and they were saying exactly that about Cifuentes, that he was in the running for MOTS if he manages to keep us up, alongside McKenna.

Personally I'm pleased if there's not too much hype about him. I'd love to see him have a whole season with a bit of cash and a full pre-season.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 09:59 - Mar 31 with 894 viewsMrSheen

Thoughts post Birmingham on 07:47 - Mar 31 by dm97

He may have concluded that they don’t have the defensive steel to grind their way to safety. They’re not going to be able to draw six so why not try to win two or three?
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:05 - Mar 31 with 802 viewsgazza1

I didn't think that we played that well yesterday, a few players did not perform to standard (Frey, Willock, Field(first half), Anderson) BUT we created chances and if we score 2/3 of those chances then we win comfortably - make chances and we have a chance to win!!! Excellent to win although we have played better recently. Fair play to the players who did find it tough yesterday because they all put 'big shifts' in to get us the 3 points.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:26 - Mar 31 with 778 viewsmart_Goblin

Thoughts post Birmingham on 08:39 - Mar 31 by gazza1

Paal is one of our best footballers.....and a very decent player.

I like Paal but I respectfully disagree.
He’s a good player and I like him but he isn’t one of our ‘best players’ imo.

Teams are targeting him and he’s losing his dual game after game now . Stoke, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and now Birmingham have deliberately kept the ball away from our other defenders when going long .
It’s no coincidence and not necessarily Paals fault. But it’s a concern and won’t have gone unnoticed.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:32 - Mar 31 with 772 viewsManinBlack

The Tottenham manager made a valid point yesterday that at this stage of the season there is so much tension whether it is winning the league, getting in the top 4 or avoiding relegation that playing well is secondary to getting 3 points. It is no different in the Championship when it comes to promotion or relegation.

It is all about results now and not performances so why anyone would expect QPR v Birmingham to be a classic is a mystery to me. There was far too much at stake for it to be anything other than a tense, nervy affair. It probably won't be much different against Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth. What we want are wins now even if they are ugly and dull.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:39 - Mar 31 with 761 viewsgazza1

Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:26 - Mar 31 by mart_Goblin

I like Paal but I respectfully disagree.
He’s a good player and I like him but he isn’t one of our ‘best players’ imo.

Teams are targeting him and he’s losing his dual game after game now . Stoke, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and now Birmingham have deliberately kept the ball away from our other defenders when going long .
It’s no coincidence and not necessarily Paals fault. But it’s a concern and won’t have gone unnoticed.

it opinions basically, no issues.

I have never seen him 'roasted' this season, picked every week, club not signed anybody else to replace him but signed a player as cover (Larkeche). When I say best footballer I mean he knocks a nice ball, very comfortable on the ball, gets forward & supports forwards very well, strikes a tidy shot and gets in good positions. All very good attributes. He will be our LB next season because he is decent.

I am not so sure clubs are targeting him either.....it was only last season at Millwal(a) when he was outstanding 'in the air' and posters commented generally how well he defended. Yes he is short but I still think he is not bad in the air & full backs these days are generally not like the old full backs, they are expected to be good attackers and users of the ball.
Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:43 - Mar 31 with 750 viewsParkRoyalR

Thoughts post Birmingham on 13:39 - Mar 31 by gazza1

it opinions basically, no issues.

I have never seen him 'roasted' this season, picked every week, club not signed anybody else to replace him but signed a player as cover (Larkeche). When I say best footballer I mean he knocks a nice ball, very comfortable on the ball, gets forward & supports forwards very well, strikes a tidy shot and gets in good positions. All very good attributes. He will be our LB next season because he is decent.

I am not so sure clubs are targeting him either.....it was only last season at Millwal(a) when he was outstanding 'in the air' and posters commented generally how well he defended. Yes he is short but I still think he is not bad in the air & full backs these days are generally not like the old full backs, they are expected to be good attackers and users of the ball.

Gazza,
Need to be careful when giving stating your opinions are facts,
Only a few days a go you stated as a fact Marti would start Jack Colback against Birmingham.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024