Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread 07:48 - Apr 7 with 43373 viewsSpaceman_P

Is a Devonshire pasty better than a Cornish one? too much cider in your glass, too much petrol in your car.

The long trip on a Tuesday night, doesn't sound good on paper, the relegation battle is nigh.

Marti will be fuming and Xavi (the calm before the storm). Serious words will have been had, hopefully heads will have been smacked (not with Ilias' rocks mind).

Sorry Monkey, I am going to take the reigns on this one. You did very well, a great effort, the team let you down yesterday. How can they disrespect both Monkey and Marti in the way they did?

Not feeling too confident with this one, plus I will be working and will miss the stream.

But you know the guys, they do have it in them. But we can't underestimate the Country bumpkins.

Plymuffs 0 - 1 QPR The goal coming from either Willock or Chair, just because they owe us one. Although I would like to see the Danish Messiah finally grab a goal and hopefully resurrect the teams spirits.

tight game!! tighter than discos' prose and tighter than Taylor Richards' agent.

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 01:03 - Apr 10 with 2601 viewsMonkey_Roots

15 games without a goal, 4 for the season… that’s not a championship striker. He has more yellow cards than goals ffs.

He looks like a beast, a total nightmare to play against, but it doesn’t pan out that way - he gets bullied, hardly competes for aerial balls, rarely assists and doesn’t score - how is anyone defending that?

His performance was better tonight, he managed to raise it up to ‘lacklustre’ from his previous performance of ‘pathetic’.

He gets credit for playing whilst being desperately ill, I loved that he did that, but facts are facts, and IMHO, he is a bit useless as a striker… playing with 10 men.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 01:07 - Apr 10 with 2565 viewsHooping_Mad

I thought Dykes hooked it back over with his boot not his head to Field.

They pressed us all night when they lost possession, at one point their left back just wondered out of position and we didn't even try to overload that side, Smyth blasting it straight at the keeper when anyone with a brain slots it in the corner.

Lyndon isn't the reason we dropped points to be fair to him tonight, his did get into some useful positions but we were awful down the left all night, kept going short time after time when we should have mixed it up, we could have pressed them hard as a unit but couldn't be arsed. Chair clearly needed resting after SW, I think Marti has his favourites and sometimes he sticks with them when he shouldn't

Survival or not we still need major work and some more fresh ideas.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 02:16 - Apr 10 with 2450 viewswombat

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 01:07 - Apr 10 by Hooping_Mad

They pressed us all night when they lost possession, at one point their left back just wondered out of position and we didn't even try to overload that side, Smyth blasting it straight at the keeper when anyone with a brain slots it in the corner.

Lyndon isn't the reason we dropped points to be fair to him tonight, his did get into some useful positions but we were awful down the left all night, kept going short time after time when we should have mixed it up, we could have pressed them hard as a unit but couldn't be arsed. Chair clearly needed resting after SW, I think Marti has his favourites and sometimes he sticks with them when he shouldn't

Been back a while and funnily enough expected the usual dykes was shat posts even though he had a decent game , worked his arse off created space for others but still gets hammered for his performance , for me starts all the games left , dosnt help the team constantly changing strikers every single week marti.

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 06:22 - Apr 10 with 2240 viewsParkRoyalR

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 02:16 - Apr 10 by wombat

Been back a while and funnily enough expected the usual dykes was shat posts even though he had a decent game , worked his arse off created space for others but still gets hammered for his performance , for me starts all the games left , dosnt help the team constantly changing strikers every single week marti.

Combat, your post, particularly last sentence nails it.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 06:57 - Apr 10 with 2146 viewsGaryBannister86

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 06:22 - Apr 10 by ParkRoyalR

Combat, your post, particularly last sentence nails it.

I've been a defender of Dykes but think he has been pretty poor recently.

The main reason I have defended him was shown again last night however, and is the part of Parky's argument I agree with - we play much better when he starts than when anyone else starts up front. And he must be a contributor to that.

I think.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 08:49 - Apr 10 with 1914 viewsbaz_qpr

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 01:07 - Apr 10 by Hooping_Mad

For the goal the goal he did hook it across. Not the earlier one where he miss headed it from 30 inches.

To be fair he had a better 2nd half and put in a shift (1st half seemed to be saving himself for the euros)

There was a moment which perfectly encapsulated his season where he took down a long ball brilliantly mid way in their half then ran 30 yards in the opposite direction giving the ball away in our own half.

His problem, and it's not going to change is his anticipation and reading of the game is amatuer at best, never seems to make a run, pull a defender away, lose his man etc Would have been disappointed if Frey had not had a brace last night if playing
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 09:44 - Apr 10 with 1789 viewsParkRoyalR

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 08:49 - Apr 10 by baz_qpr

For the goal the goal he did hook it across. Not the earlier one where he miss headed it from 30 inches.

To be fair he had a better 2nd half and put in a shift (1st half seemed to be saving himself for the euros)

There was a moment which perfectly encapsulated his season where he took down a long ball brilliantly mid way in their half then ran 30 yards in the opposite direction giving the ball away in our own half.

His problem, and it's not going to change is his anticipation and reading of the game is amatuer at best, never seems to make a run, pull a defender away, lose his man etc Would have been disappointed if Frey had not had a brace last night if playing

Baz, honestly did you go to or watch Frey v Birmingham?

Based on that display the only brace that's lads getting is the same one as Douglas Bader.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 10:21 - Apr 10 with 1672 viewscolinallcars

Right, who's doing the next match thread ? I know we say every match is the most important of the season but if we win v Hull that might be enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 10:24 - Apr 10 with 1647 viewshubble

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 10:21 - Apr 10 by colinallcars

Right, who's doing the next match thread ? I know we say every match is the most important of the season but if we win v Hull that might be enough.

Well, recent tradition dictates that you don't change a thread-starter unless they lose, so it's over to Spaceman again, I think. He's got a great track record after all, something like W4 D2 L1, off the top of me head.
[Post edited 10 Apr 10:25]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 13:29 - Apr 10 with 1453 viewsParkRoyalR

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 00:04 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

It's not groupthink, Parky, it's my own opinion.

You're naturally entitled to have a different view, and I appreciate that you had a different physical view than me tonight, but please don't tell me that I'm not capable of forming my own opinion. You're better than that.

Fair point Brian, apologies,

Just frustration with gifting 2 points was compounded by coming on here and seeing Dykes yet again getting more criticism than anyone else, even gets criticised on the Begovic thread ffs.

I'm sure some of his detractors last night have a few drinks fall asleep during the game + then post their re-set narrative / opinion based on what they usually think.

Someone posted Dykes never anticipates, never makes a run etc, I mean if that poster re-runs the Leicester assist he does everyone of those, as he did last night when setting up Smyth for what should have been a goaI.

I thought was on his toes all night including near post run + shot which should have been a corner, altho some of our crossing last night it's no wonder he sometimes isn't sure whether to stick or twist, Chair particularly guilty of one late on where just didn't get his head up but just smashed in an aimless cross.

Anyhow apologies again!
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 13:37 - Apr 10 with 1401 viewsTheChef

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 13:29 - Apr 10 by ParkRoyalR

Just frustration with gifting 2 points was compounded by coming on here and seeing Dykes yet again getting more criticism than anyone else, even gets criticised on the Begovic thread ffs.

I'm sure some of his detractors last night have a few drinks fall asleep during the game + then post their re-set narrative / opinion based on what they usually think.

Someone posted Dykes never anticipates, never makes a run etc, I mean if that poster re-runs the Leicester assist he does everyone of those, as he did last night when setting up Smyth for what should have been a goaI.

I thought was on his toes all night including near post run + shot which should have been a corner, altho some of our crossing last night it's no wonder he sometimes isn't sure whether to stick or twist, Chair particularly guilty of one late on where just didn't get his head up but just smashed in an aimless cross.

Anyhow apologies again!

Dykes only scores from Kakay crosses.

And sadly that ship has sailed

He does have my sympathy that his game is based on getting on the end of crosses, and basically all our attacking/wide players don't really bother with that.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 14:42 - Apr 10 with 1284 viewsDeanoMD

Are we all still arguing about Dykes?

Bottom line is he played better last night all round, assisted with the goal and set up other chances, best we've seen from him in a while. Is that amazing and brilliant? No, but it's an improvement which is all you can really ask for at this point, if it lifts his confidence and he plays better for the last four games then I'm on board with that, he certainly can't get any worse than he has been over recent months.

Overall we were better than Saturday and we should have won, how many times have we said that this season? But that's the way it's going for us currently. I don't think we've really played well since West Brom.

I'm more concerned with Marti's sudden infatuation with Unc's, love him but he shouldn't be in the squad now and certainly shouldn't be getting on in front of Hodge, Cannon, EDB, JCS etc. in a game like that last night.

As for Begovic, well we knew this would happen at some point and it's quite possibly not the last mistake he will make.

To finish on a positive we got another point and kept that gap between us and the bottom three, it was hugely important not to lose last night and I'll take another point all day long on Saturday.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:33 - Apr 10 with 1189 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 13:29 - Apr 10 by ParkRoyalR

Anyhow apologies again!

No bother at all, Parky.

Take it easy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:39 - Apr 10 with 1134 viewsqprninja

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 14:42 - Apr 10 by DeanoMD

Are we all still arguing about Dykes?

Bottom line is he played better last night all round, assisted with the goal and set up other chances, best we've seen from him in a while. Is that amazing and brilliant? No, but it's an improvement which is all you can really ask for at this point, if it lifts his confidence and he plays better for the last four games then I'm on board with that, he certainly can't get any worse than he has been over recent months.

Overall we were better than Saturday and we should have won, how many times have we said that this season? But that's the way it's going for us currently. I don't think we've really played well since West Brom.

I'm more concerned with Marti's sudden infatuation with Unc's, love him but he shouldn't be in the squad now and certainly shouldn't be getting on in front of Hodge, Cannon, EDB, JCS etc. in a game like that last night.

As for Begovic, well we knew this would happen at some point and it's quite possibly not the last mistake he will make.

To finish on a positive we got another point and kept that gap between us and the bottom three, it was hugely important not to lose last night and I'll take another point all day long on Saturday.

I think Uncs went on at that stage as more of an experienced head for a defensive last few mins, rather than for attacking. Obviously it was then rather unfortunate that he scored an OG, but that was more Begovic's fault.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:44 - Apr 10 with 1092 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:39 - Apr 10 by qprninja

I think Uncs went on at that stage as more of an experienced head for a defensive last few mins, rather than for attacking. Obviously it was then rather unfortunate that he scored an OG, but that was more Begovic's fault.

I think you're probably right.

Chair looked wrecked. We didn't have another wide player on the bench. Adomah had the experience.

I wasn't happy to see him come on, but there was a logic to it. And I'm not sure there was another option.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:55 - Apr 10 with 1012 viewsMonkey_Roots

Funny thing was, when Uncle came on, I said to my mate 'I'd absolutely love it if he scored to cap off his time with us, keep us up etc'.

He did score.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:58 - Apr 10 with 995 viewsParkRoyalR

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:33 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

No bother at all, Parky.

Take it easy.

Good man!
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 16:06 - Apr 10 with 966 viewslassel

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:44 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I think you're probably right.

Chair looked wrecked. We didn't have another wide player on the bench. Adomah had the experience.

I wasn't happy to see him come on, but there was a logic to it. And I'm not sure there was another option.

We did have Willock and Smyth in the pitch though so we could have easily looked to Dixon-Bonner or Hodge to replace Chair.

As it is it was a mistake from Marti but in his defence Adomah has been out of sight out of mind for so long it’s easy to have forgotten how off the pace he is.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 16:36 - Apr 10 with 891 viewsHooping_Mad

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 02:16 - Apr 10 by wombat

If you read my post again I don't call him shat to be fair do I?

If you want to take aim at one of his many detractors then I couldn't care less, but could if you're going to quote me then at least read the post.

I've been as diplomatic as I can be in regard to our CF but his return for us has been poor since he arrived and it's getting worse not better, if we can't discuss it constructively here then where should we?

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 17:01 - Apr 10 with 847 viewsManinBlack

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 15:39 - Apr 10 by qprninja

Adomah was a surprising sub in view of his lack of recent game time. When I used to play I was always taught that if you are at the back post you should never assume that all the players in the middle will make contact with the ball when crossed in. Always be prepared they all miss it and be ready to react. Sadly Adomah didn't seem to have this in mind as he was caught on his heels unprepared. His slow reaction might be down to lack of game time as much as age.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 17:31 - Apr 10 with 794 viewsE15Hoop

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 22:45 - Apr 9 by kensalriser

Hull have won once in their last seven, we're capable of getting a result there.

I'm with you on that, KR.
Plus people seem to be forgetting that we already dispatched them successfully on our patch this season.
I think we'll pull a lot of positives out of the energy and intent that we showed last night, even if our finishing is still clearly in need of some urgent attention.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 17:39 - Apr 10 with 779 viewskernowhoop

I have not read all 17 pages of comments, but has anyone said how well Chris Willock played when he came on? He looked fresh and ready to run at people. Yes, there was an over-ambitious long-range shot but I thought he looked good.
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 18:11 - Apr 10 with 736 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 23:56 - Apr 9 by ParkRoyalR

Brian, was stood right in front of those, have to disagree, likewise Loft for Words groupthink he's on his heels, for a deflected cross?

A true striker is anticipating that and making the run regardless. I'd be more understanding if he made a run to the front post and the ball went far, or visa versa. However, what he did in that instance was stand and watch an 18-year-old defender clear a slow, looping cross from underneath his own cross bar.

You were impressed by Dykes elbowing a defender for no reason in the middle of the park. I'd have been more impressed if he'd put the ball and said defender into the net.

Now, in the interest of fairness, I will give you that he performed better than Frey and Armstrong did against Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday respectively. However, this is saying much as they were very poor in those matches. What I'm not accepting is that Dykes was "outstanding"; he was average at best.

That all being said, let me be clear that Dykes wasn't the reason we didn't win yesterday. That was largely down to poor finishing from Smyth and an almighty clanger from Begovic.
[Post edited 10 Apr 18:23]
Pilgrim and Bare It - Plymouth Vs QPR Match Thread on 18:38 - Apr 10 with 677 viewsderbyhoop

Agreed but why was Uncs facing towards goal, rather than side on or facing upfield.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024