Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 122853 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 05:14 - Jul 3 with 1882 viewsPlanetHonneywood

General Election Thread on 21:13 - Jul 2 by StJude82

Ed Davey's the man! A whole host of ludicrous stunts (including a fine bungee jump) but couldn't be bothered to hear out the post masters and postmistresses over the Horizon scandal (allegedly). Got to vote for that.

Its as if the election was called in the middle of Ed's gap year, but he's decided to carry on regardless. Today's stunt is a cameo teaching English to poor kids, before an all night rave on the beach.

Someone tell him he needs to vote as the election is tomorrow, but his diary currently has him down to do the dangerous bike ride from La Paz to Corico.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:02 - Jul 3 with 1705 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Ed Davey's the man! A whole host of ludicrous stunts (including a fine bungee jump) but couldn't be bothered to hear out the post masters and postmistresses over the Horizon scandal (allegedly). Got to vote for that.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

General Election Thread on 09:44 - Jul 3 with 1637 viewsDiscodroids

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

General Election Thread on 09:56 - Jul 3 with 1617 viewsDannyPaddox

General Election Thread on 00:02 - Jul 3 by rbee

Help him get registered for a Postal Vote, no photo ID required

Would have been a good idea a week or two ago. Alas too close to Election Day now to apply for postal vote.

Another thing you can apply for if you have no photo ID is a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’. But again too late to do it for tomorrow’s election.

Hopefully Col’s neighbour has found an old bus pass.
General Election Thread on 10:19 - Jul 3 with 1559 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 05:14 - Jul 3 by PlanetHonneywood

Its as if the election was called in the middle of Ed's gap year, but he's decided to carry on regardless. Today's stunt is a cameo teaching English to poor kids, before an all night rave on the beach.

Someone tell him he needs to vote as the election is tomorrow, but his diary currently has him down to do the dangerous bike ride from La Paz to Corico.

I am thinking of switching to Lib Dems from intended Labour. They have toned down the stop brexit policy that killed them last time and to go after him for the Post Office scandal when its obvious that others deliberately covered things up seem a bit desperate.

I have enjoyed his campaign and he has raised some awareness for the thousands of family carers out there.
General Election Thread on 10:32 - Jul 3 with 1508 viewsHAYESBOY

General Election Thread on 10:19 - Jul 3 by essextaxiboy

I am thinking of switching to Lib Dems from intended Labour. They have toned down the stop brexit policy that killed them last time and to go after him for the Post Office scandal when its obvious that others deliberately covered things up seem a bit desperate.

I have enjoyed his campaign and he has raised some awareness for the thousands of family carers out there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68222915#:~:text=Sir%20Ed%20Davey%20was%2

He certainly did not take it seriously at the time.
[Post edited 3 Jul 10:35]

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 10:36 - Jul 3 with 1502 viewsdmm

On the eve of tomorrow's general election, I just had to post this...

General Election Thread on 11:10 - Jul 3 with 1408 viewsSonofpugwash

Are you sure you want to do this?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 11:11 - Jul 3 with 1408 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 10:36 - Jul 3 by dmm

What a shameful record of greed and incompetence spread over 14 years.I hope every b@stard one of them end up with p45’s by Saturday morning.
My post has just arrived with two identical letters personally addressed to me from our local prospective Tory candidate.They can’t even get that right,and if they’ve sent me the same letters,how many others have received similar duplicate mail?
I have two letters for them too,FO.
[Post edited 3 Jul 11:25]
General Election Thread on 13:18 - Jul 3 with 1244 viewshubble

General Election Thread on 10:19 - Jul 3 by essextaxiboy

I've been thinking what an incredible missed opportunity this has been for the Liberal Democrats. If ever there was a time for a straightforward, centrist party, this was it. And I think many of us would welcome the opportunity to vote for such a party. But the LDs seemed to have lurched the left themselves, and at the same time, it's hard to take Ed Davey seriously.

There's certainly no party that I feel represents my views on how this country should be governed, and like others have said on here, I feel a spoilt ballot paper - i.e. 'none of the above' - is the only option for me. By voting, I think you enter a tacit agreement to be governed, and I certainly do not wish to be governed by either the Tories or Labour.
[Post edited 3 Jul 13:20]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election Thread on 13:47 - Jul 3 with 1180 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 13:18 - Jul 3 by hubble

I've been thinking what an incredible missed opportunity this has been for the Liberal Democrats. If ever there was a time for a straightforward, centrist party, this was it. And I think many of us would welcome the opportunity to vote for such a party. But the LDs seemed to have lurched the left themselves, and at the same time, it's hard to take Ed Davey seriously.

There's certainly no party that I feel represents my views on how this country should be governed, and like others have said on here, I feel a spoilt ballot paper - i.e. 'none of the above' - is the only option for me. By voting, I think you enter a tacit agreement to be governed, and I certainly do not wish to be governed by either the Tories or Labour.

Out of interest, where do you get your information on what party policy is?

I found this useful, albeit time consuming: https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/
[Post edited 3 Jul 13:52]
General Election Thread on 13:59 - Jul 3 with 1129 viewshubble

General Election Thread on 13:47 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

From reading their manifesto, Baz.

General Election Thread on 14:14 - Jul 3 with 1108 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 13:59 - Jul 3 by hubble

From reading their manifesto, Baz.

Well, i'm no fan of the Lib Dems and won't be voting for them either, but you've complained on one hand about not wanting to be governed by Labour or the Tories but rallied against the largest party calling for PR.

So I'm racking my brain to find what they've said that could be so Left wing that it would put you off voting for the solution to your main gripe.
General Election Thread on 14:37 - Jul 3 with 1035 viewsJuzzie

General Election Thread on 13:47 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Just done the full survey (all questions) and the result wasn't surprising so at least that gives me confidence of how I intend to vote.

It was interesting to see that most, not all, policies are by-and-large positive ones.
So why is this country in a mess??

I get it that sometimes party's/MP's etc want to strive for certain things but those targets may not be met but not for the want of trying, but when MP's/party's clearly get nowhere near their targets, or even try to, do complete u-turns and so on then there must be some kind of consequence to this.

I remember Andrew Neil asking Liz Truss (before she was PM) what the total number of starter homes built in 2014 was (target was 200,000) and she was struggling to answer and he said "it's easy to remember, it's zero". This is the kind of thing they should be held accountable for because you are winning elections on policies you simply cannot carry out or have no intention to. That's tantamount to simply lying.

EDIT;
It was also interesting to see from that website that out of 316,000 completed surveys nationally it appears that the following would be the result if everyone voted in that manner;

Lib Dems 26.6%
Green 24.5%
Labour 23.1%
Con 13.6%
Reform 10.4%
SNP 1.2%
Plaid Cymru 0.6%

Clearly this isn't going to happen come Friday (and it is just a small portion of the electorate) so what is wrong? Why is there such a disparity in what people appear to want and how they vote?
As I've mentioned before, love that youtube footage of a reporter asking blue-rinsed ladies in Guilford about certain policies and they all agreed they were good and supported them then the looks on their faces was hilarious when they were told they were Labour policies.

[Post edited 3 Jul 16:15]
General Election Thread on 14:50 - Jul 3 with 969 viewsBluce_Ree

Well, f**k.

I fully intended to vote but I haven't posted my vote and so I guess that's that.

None of the local candidates looked right to me. Bunch of c**ts.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

General Election Thread on 15:00 - Jul 3 with 942 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

61% of current Labour support is primarily motivated by reasons that will not apply in three days' time.

General Election Thread on 15:08 - Jul 3 with 923 viewsStainrod

Would be hilarious if it were not so damaging how the Tories and their media friends have sought to dump this all on Davey. He was assured by his civil servants and by the Post Office that Horizon was working properly. When he realised that was bollocks he become the first politician to hold his hand up and apologise. The Tories were still insisting until relatively recently that there wasn't an issue - a lie repeated by many of Davey's Tory successors even tho by then they WERE fully aware there was a problem.

As for the stunts, if our Tory supporting press ever gave fair coverage to the Lib Dems Davey wouldn't have to engage in stunts. Compare how much coverage he got compared to the acres of uncritical publicity for Farage until the Mail etc belatedly woke up to the very obvious fact that a good showing for Reform would stuff the Tories.

Why do you think Davey does these stunts? Its the only way to get any coverage. He is not stupid: he knows the press will take the piss, but he rightly calculates that its better to be laughed at than ignored. If the only way to get attention for how water companies pump thousands of tones of raw sewage into our rivers is to swim in a shit-infested river, so be it.

There have many general elections where the Lib Dems had far more support than Farage has ever had yet they got a fraction of the coverage that Reform enjoy. Go figure.
General Election Thread on 15:18 - Jul 3 with 883 viewsStainrod

General Election Thread on 13:18 - Jul 3 by hubble

I don't see think the Lib Dems have moved to the left particularly Hubble but almost everywhere they can win they are fighting against a sitting Tory MP so they have to emphasise where they think the Tories have gone wrong (crashing the economy under Truss, presiding over an NHS crisis, lack of apprenticeships etc).

Isn't it more that since Cameron left the Tories have moved ever further to the right - if you have a Conservative prime minister who just parrots "stop the boats" and only seems interested in courting wealthy pensioners then a centre party is going to appear relatively left wing by comparison.
General Election Thread on 16:11 - Jul 3 with 772 viewsdmm

Sunak might lose his seat as current polling shows him ahead of the Labour candidate by less than 1% of predicted votes. He'd be the first ever sitting PM to lose his seat in a GE. Wouldn't that be delicious?!
General Election Thread on 16:17 - Jul 3 with 748 viewsrobith

General Election Thread on 16:11 - Jul 3 by dmm

Sunak might lose his seat as current polling shows him ahead of the Labour candidate by less than 1% of predicted votes. He'd be the first ever sitting PM to lose his seat in a GE. Wouldn't that be delicious?!

I mean that's a small technicality because of Balfour's shenanigans in the 1906 election
General Election Thread on 16:24 - Jul 3 with 715 viewsHAYESBOY

General Election Thread on 10:36 - Jul 3 by dmm

Not a word wrong.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 17:06 - Jul 3 with 599 viewshubble

General Election Thread on 14:14 - Jul 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Well, i'm no fan of the Lib Dems and won't be voting for them either, but you've complained on one hand about not wanting to be governed by Labour or the Tories but rallied against the largest party calling for PR.

So I'm racking my brain to find what they've said that could be so Left wing that it would put you off voting for the solution to your main gripe.

Well yes, Baz, if instating PR was the only issue, I might vote for them.

But to answer your question, I disagree with most of their policies as outlined in their manifesto, including, but not limited to, those on the economy (wishy-washy and uninspiring), energy (dangerously naive), green issues/climate (ditto) and immigration. They're far too close to the Greens on most of these for my liking.

I'd even consider voting Labour if they weren't in hock to all sorts of causes I disagree with, which I have outlined earlier in this thread. Plus they have an ignorant loudmouth as deputy leader. From 1979 to 1997 I voted Labour in every election, but they were a very different party in those days.

I think most British people want sensible and practical policies that are grounded in reality, without idealism or pandering to minority (often relatively extremist) interests.

The Tories have run this country into the ground and although they are supposedly right wing, they have rarely institued genuinely conversative policies. On the contrary, they have increased government interference in our lives; meddled disastrously with the economy and in the process made the rich richer and the poor poorer - and I'm not just talking about Liz Truss - I'm talking about the insane amount of borrowing predicated on ever-increasing stealth taxation, and how they handled the lockdowns (Labour would have been worse though, apart from the blatantly criminal aspects, which seem rife in the Conservative party); presided over a huge and largely unregulated increase in immigration; presided over a badly fudged withdrawal from the EU; and increasingly followed what are to my mind globalist agendas, to the detriment and destabilisation of this country... I could go on...
[Post edited 3 Jul 17:35]

General Election Thread on 17:31 - Jul 3 with 551 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 17:06 - Jul 3 by hubble

But to answer your question, I disagree with most of their policies as outlined in their manifesto, including, but not limited to, those on the economy (wishy-washy and uninspiring), energy (dangerously naive), green issues/climate (ditto) and immigration. They're far too close to the Greens on most of these for my liking.

I'd even consider voting Labour if they weren't in hock to all sorts of causes I disagree with, which I have outlined earlier in this thread. Plus they have an ignorant loudmouth as deputy leader. From 1979 to 1997 I voted Labour in every election, but they were a very different party in those days.

I think most British people want sensible and practical policies that are grounded in reality, without idealism or pandering to minority (often relatively extremist) interests.

The Tories have run this country into the ground and although they are supposedly right wing, they have rarely institued genuinely conversative policies. On the contrary, they have increased government interference in our lives; meddled disastrously with the economy and in the process made the rich richer and the poor poorer - and I'm not just talking about Liz Truss - I'm talking about the insane amount of borrowing predicated on ever-increasing stealth taxation, and how they handled the lockdowns (Labour would have been worse though, apart from the blatantly criminal aspects, which seem rife in the Conservative party); presided over a huge and largely unregulated increase in immigration; presided over a badly fudged withdrawal from the EU; and increasingly followed what are to my mind globalist agendas, to the detriment and destabilisation of this country... I could go on...

That is a hell of a post. Good luck tomorrow.
General Election Thread on 17:44 - Jul 3 with 527 viewsStainrod

General Election Thread on 17:06 - Jul 3 by hubble

Well you say you want a better Lib Dem party.

But from what you have said here you basically support Reform, or at least their policies.

If you want unfunded tax cuts and a clampdown on immigration then they are your party with the Tories your second choice (second because they talk about cutting immigration while actually increasing it which makes them the worst of the lot on this issue IMHO because it is so lacking in honesty).

The Lib Dems don't believe tax cuts are currently affordable (and virtually every serious economist agrees with them).

On the economy they would improve the trade deal with Europe so we weren't so restricted in trading with our biggest partner - fixing what you rightly describe as the Tories badly handled withdrawal from the EU.

On immigration they believe in better education and training for British workers to tackle the problem at source.
General Election Thread on 17:48 - Jul 3 with 523 viewsflynnbo

General Election Thread on 16:24 - Jul 3 by HAYESBOY

Not a word wrong.

Saw him live in April. Amazing stamina.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024