Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 71773 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 12:46 - May 23 with 2048 viewsE17hoop

General Election Thread on 12:29 - May 23 by dmm

Fair enough, and you're certainly better read than I am when it comes to Labour.

I have a different view to yours on Corbyn and Labour. How Corbyn was treated by his party is one of a number of reasons I will not be voting for Labour in this General Election.

I respect that completely and I wouldn't tell anyone to vote for any party - it's an individual choice based on that person's lived experience and context. I experienced antisemitism as a member of the Labour Party under Corbyn's watch and resigned from the party. I didn't vote for Labour in 2019 as a result.
[Post edited 23 May 12:57]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

General Election Thread on 12:56 - May 23 with 1997 viewsE17hoop

General Election Thread on 11:49 - May 23 by Esox_Lucius

Did you even bother looking at the video?

I've watch it 3 times in total.

Have you read the Labour Together Review I linked above?
https://www.labourtogether.uk/all-reports/general-election-review-2019

I try and find an evidence base where I can make decisions from; that means watching, listening, and reading things which are written by every tribe.

Labour Together have been accused of being Centrist dilletantes and an extension of Starmer. Al Jazeera, the publishers of The Labour Files have been accused of not giving insight, but to purely further their profile and the attitude to Israel of its owner, the Qatari state.

We have to acknowledge the editorial narrative in all the media we read, see and hear and base our own opinions on that which we consume.

Ultimately, I accept I can't change anyone's mind and wouldn't want to on issue of political choice.

General Election Thread on 13:20 - May 23 with 1913 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 12:32 - May 23 by JamesB1979

Thanks will watch this. But you don’t think Starmer has done well and the right thing by getting rid of the anti-semitism in the Labour Party? It just seems that way from the outside.

The Forde Report (unredacted) demonstrates that the issue of anti semitism within the PLP under Corbyn was almost inexistent. It was a weapon used by Starmer et al to remove all the left leaning MP's in the party. This lead to more Jews being expelled from Labour by Starmer than any other leader before him. As a knight of the realm, a WEF stalwart and a forerunner of the Trilateral Commission, I have deep reservations as to his purpose as PLP leader. The funding from Israel may well play a large part in his purging of the left leaning MP's as they are majorly on the side of Palestine and Netanyahu wants no opposition to his genocide. His refusal to support a ceasefire was after a 30 minute phone call to Netanyahu according to a number of media outlets at the time so that, coupled with the very large sums of money he, and his shadow cabinet have received from private healthcare companies has almost certainly signalled even more privatisation within the NHS.
[Post edited 23 May 17:34]

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 13:35 - May 23 with 1869 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 12:46 - May 23 by E17hoop

I respect that completely and I wouldn't tell anyone to vote for any party - it's an individual choice based on that person's lived experience and context. I experienced antisemitism as a member of the Labour Party under Corbyn's watch and resigned from the party. I didn't vote for Labour in 2019 as a result.

That's terrible E17, and completely understandable as to why you left Labour. Antisemitism should have no place in a political party.
General Election Thread on 13:56 - May 23 with 1813 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Obviously Labour will win the election but it will be fun to watch them be every bit as useless as the Tories over the next few years. Just listening to Mrs Balls on Radio 4 set out how anyone who crosses illegally in a boat will be eligible for asylum under them - that's certainly going to deter them, isn't it!
General Election Thread on 14:45 - May 23 with 1708 viewsQPR_Jim

General Election Thread on 13:56 - May 23 by Wegerles_Stairs

Obviously Labour will win the election but it will be fun to watch them be every bit as useless as the Tories over the next few years. Just listening to Mrs Balls on Radio 4 set out how anyone who crosses illegally in a boat will be eligible for asylum under them - that's certainly going to deter them, isn't it!

To be fair, if you've not been deterred by handing over a load of money to a shady people trafficker or the potential death crossing the channel in a small boat, I doubt your eligibility for asylum is going to make a blind bit of difference. Oooh you'll be ineligible for asylum when you get there... bothered. Should stop wasting time on them and focus on the people traffickers.
General Election Thread on 14:48 - May 23 with 1700 viewsderbyhoop

You get a different perspective on UK when viewing from within the EU. And, yes, I should get a postal vote. My pension is dependent on how UK economy performs.
It seems that Tories have been in power for 14 years and the country is in a far worse state than in 2010. If they can't sort it out in 14 years, do you really want to trust them with another 5?
Labour are uninspiring but seem a world away from Corbyn, McDonnel, Long-Bailey. If they win, as seems likely, they will inherit a poor financial outlook with little room for manoeuvre.
Some parts of UK may vote LibDem if the driver is # GTTO.
Reform are a bunch of grifting nutters, led by some of the biggest grifters in politics.
Greens seem to have been infiltrated by cranks.

In Engkand, those are the choices.
Not inspiring, is it?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 15:25 - May 23 with 1596 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 12:46 - May 23 by E17hoop

There is no excuse for anti semitism at all,but sometimes criticism of Israel and it’s policies gets mistaken for the former.Especially by those in the media with an agenda.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 15:32 - May 23 with 1572 viewsJamesB1979

General Election Thread on 15:25 - May 23 by stowmarketrange

There is no excuse for anti semitism at all,but sometimes criticism of Israel and it’s policies gets mistaken for the former.Especially by those in the media with an agenda.

But there is an anti-Semitic element in the marches. If I was part of a march and the EDF were part of it, I wouldn’t go the next week. So for me, it may primarily be aimed at Israel but there is also an acceptance of the anti semitic element
General Election Thread on 15:35 - May 23 with 1569 viewsE17hoop

General Election Thread on 15:25 - May 23 by stowmarketrange

You could have stopped after 'at all'. I'm not in the media and trust me, it's not right to hold Jews collectively responsible for actions of the state of Israel.

General Election Thread on 15:41 - May 23 with 1544 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 15:32 - May 23 by JamesB1979

But there is an anti-Semitic element in the marches. If I was part of a march and the EDF were part of it, I wouldn’t go the next week. So for me, it may primarily be aimed at Israel but there is also an acceptance of the anti semitic element

I don’t doubt that a lot of the marches are attended by people who are anti semites,and the police should do more to clamp down on these people.But when people are gathered together as a mob,some are led astray,similar to what we witnessed at Wembley in another thread.
I repeat though,all racism is wrong and it doesn’t matter who the victims are.
General Election Thread on 15:42 - May 23 with 1528 viewsJamesB1979

General Election Thread on 15:41 - May 23 by stowmarketrange

I don’t doubt that a lot of the marches are attended by people who are anti semites,and the police should do more to clamp down on these people.But when people are gathered together as a mob,some are led astray,similar to what we witnessed at Wembley in another thread.
I repeat though,all racism is wrong and it doesn’t matter who the victims are.

Yeah to me that’s no excuse. If you attend and see it. Either call it out or don’t go again. Otherwise you’re complicit.
General Election Thread on 15:44 - May 23 with 1523 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 15:35 - May 23 by E17hoop

You could have stopped after 'at all'. I'm not in the media and trust me, it's not right to hold Jews collectively responsible for actions of the state of Israel.

I don’t and nor should anyone else,but criticism of the state of Israel and it’s actions should not be seen or used as antisemitism.
General Election Thread on 15:50 - May 23 with 1490 viewsJamesB1979

General Election Thread on 15:44 - May 23 by stowmarketrange

I don’t and nor should anyone else,but criticism of the state of Israel and it’s actions should not be seen or used as antisemitism.

That I agree with.
General Election Thread on 15:50 - May 23 with 1492 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 15:32 - May 23 by JamesB1979

Sorry Clive
[Post edited 23 May 17:18]
General Election Thread on 15:52 - May 23 with 1476 viewsNorthernr

General election thread, not Israel Gaza thread I beg of you all.
General Election Thread on 15:54 - May 23 with 1460 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 15:52 - May 23 by Northernr

Sorry Clive.
General Election Thread on 17:11 - May 23 with 1328 viewsSheffieldHoop

Just a competition to see who the biggest Blairite (Liar) is

Tories have proven themselves to be a bunch of aspirational Blairites, fully on board with the New Labour consensus, making the same arguments, reaching the same conclusions, just in a slightly harsher tone. Driving immigration to make the GDP line creep up.....while ignoring everything else turning to shit.

Labour candidate was on my doorstep before the by-election last year. All sounded pretty normal and sensible. 2 minutes on google suggested he'd been feeding me a load of shit. Just completely lying to my face about his views across a number of issues.

Reform isn't even a proper political party, something weird about that lot, think they exist to reinforce the idea that the Tories are the only realistic Right-of-centre option.

Lib Dems completely fell off, up north at least. I was raised in a Liberal (As in Liberal party pre-Lib Dem) family and tbh they're just a posher, less radicalized version of Labour in my experience. Still basically Commies at heart, even if they don't admit it themselves. Infiltrated by cranks and unlikely to do anything positive any time soon.

As for what's happening with the Greens.....That's been coming out of that part of the Country (And more still to come) for a long time. I know because I lived there around 10 years ago. The fact everybody outside the region (And quite a few within) chooses to ignore it is deeply concerning. Entire towns dominated by groups of people that even the authorities in Pakistan found too problematic. It's no coincidence they're here now, doing what they are doing, all in the name of peace and love obvs.

I'm more bothered about what's happening in Oldham or Dewsbury than Israel or Egypt personally. That might seem uncool amongst a Southern crowd, to care about those people and what's happening to their towns, but I do. Would happily vote UKIP/Brexit Party, partly in solidarity with my compatriots in those abandoned Northern towns, and also just to reiterate the message of "Go fck yourself" to the powers that be. But seems that's not going to be an option this time. So I'll probably be writing Cnts on my ballot. Lying Cnts.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 17:33 - May 23 with 1259 viewsHayesender

We seem to be five pages in, and no one has called anyone a leftie c××t, a right wing little Englander facist c××t, or any other sort of c××t yet. I applaud you all

Poll: Shamima Beghum

General Election Thread on 17:44 - May 23 with 1227 viewsJamesB1979

General Election Thread on 15:52 - May 23 by Northernr

Sorry.
First voted in 1985 as a naive 18 year old on 17:47 - May 23 with 1227 viewsBeckenhamhoop

First voted in 1985 as a naive 18 year old on 23:00 - May 22 by Stainrod

It is fine to spoil your ballot as long as you understand a) it is a deeply conservative (small c) action because you are basically saying that altho’ you are mildly pissed off you have no plan, idea or motivation to do anything about it, and b) the candidates who do see that just think “what a c@nt”.

I don’t really get the faux sophisticated / cynical “they are all as bad as each other” argument. It’s either advanced by people who are either a) lazy and can’t be arsed to take responsibility for being a citizen and form a view or b) (not remotely saying this is the case with you, clearly) too thick to have an opinion but it makes them look passably intelligent

It’s not faux sophistication to be revolted by all the mainstream options. I have a strong sense of what it means to be a communitarian/citizen (31 years of public service and counting) and have very strong views about politics. I did Politics at A level aged 18. I’ve always had a very keen interest in it and have followed it closely for 40+ years. I’m perfectly entitled to reject Lab/Con/LibDem/Green and the appalling Workers Party of GB. None of them speak for me.
First voted in 1985 as a naive 18 year old on 17:50 - May 23 with 1218 viewsWatford_Ranger

First voted in 1985 as a naive 18 year old on 17:47 - May 23 by Beckenhamhoop

It’s not faux sophistication to be revolted by all the mainstream options. I have a strong sense of what it means to be a communitarian/citizen (31 years of public service and counting) and have very strong views about politics. I did Politics at A level aged 18. I’ve always had a very keen interest in it and have followed it closely for 40+ years. I’m perfectly entitled to reject Lab/Con/LibDem/Green and the appalling Workers Party of GB. None of them speak for me.

Do any of them ever really speak for any of us? There’s never been a perfect political party for me in my lifetime. I just pick the one that’s closest or, thanks to our archaic voting system, has the best chance of beating the one that’s least close.
General Election Thread on 17:54 - May 23 with 1205 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 14:48 - May 23 by derbyhoop

You get a different perspective on UK when viewing from within the EU. And, yes, I should get a postal vote. My pension is dependent on how UK economy performs.
It seems that Tories have been in power for 14 years and the country is in a far worse state than in 2010. If they can't sort it out in 14 years, do you really want to trust them with another 5?
Labour are uninspiring but seem a world away from Corbyn, McDonnel, Long-Bailey. If they win, as seems likely, they will inherit a poor financial outlook with little room for manoeuvre.
Some parts of UK may vote LibDem if the driver is # GTTO.
Reform are a bunch of grifting nutters, led by some of the biggest grifters in politics.
Greens seem to have been infiltrated by cranks.

In Engkand, those are the choices.
Not inspiring, is it?

'Grifting nutters' is quite a harsh term to apply to Reform UK members. I can only name a handful of Reform UK people, and some like Ben Habib and Laurence Jarvis always seemed pretty decent to me.
General Election Thread on 17:57 - May 23 with 1194 viewsW4Hoop

I spent years as an official guide in the Palace of Westminster. Remembering when King Edward 1st first consulted with the Shires, or the issues behind the Great Reform Bill was the easy bit. Far harder was explaining the contribution to democracy made by 900+ unelected peers, or convincing cynical visitors that most MPs are not the conniving schemers the media picture them to be.

We may as well accept that under our FPTP system only one of two parties can form a government. There are only a handful of constituencies where tactical voting can move the dial. Nevertheless it is important to vote, even if you have to hold your nose while doing it.
First voted in 1985 as a naive 18 year old on 17:59 - May 23 with 1179 viewsBeckenhamhoop

First voted in 1985 as a naive 18 year old on 10:22 - May 23 by Gus_iom

The leader of the SDP does!

Actually some quite good stuff in here and, you’re right, he supports the SuperHoops!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024