Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is your second sport. 22:21 - Jun 3 with 5777 viewsqpr_1968

or even first over football.....

including chess, darts, ludo and fishing....you get what i mean.

mine is tennis, not grass......even though i love watching it.
but playing, its got to be a hard surface....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

What is your second sport. on 09:51 - Jun 15 with 1175 viewshantssi

Golf, playing and watching (used to love going to the PGA at Wentworth but they’ve moved that to September now).
Love a day at the cricket.
Rugby but unfortunately there’s no team down here to watch. Love watching the Barbarians at Twickenham.
Got back into the gym a few years back as I chucked on loads of weight during lockdown, put on over 2 stone!
Not sure if this counts but love walking, South Downs is on my doorstep and the New Forest not too far. Go to the Lake District at least once a year and try to do another mountain region as well each year.
What is your second sport. on 09:59 - Jun 15 with 1154 viewsSimonJames

Fishing (been doing that for 54 years)

Rugby (played for 30 years, supported Bath for 45 years)

Strength training (started again last year after a 35 year hiatus) - nowhere near the weights I was doing in my 20's, but now pretty strong for 59.

Slightly better than average at playing pool combined with beer drinking.

I was a league darts player 40 years ago (3 dart average of 97)... nowadays, on the once-every-five-years that I play, I can barely get three throws in a group!

100% of people who drink water will die.

What is your second sport. on 10:42 - Jun 15 with 1125 viewswelwynranger

Since i retired in 2022.
Golf three times a week.
Joined the sniors group we have competitions every monday..
Play with 3 friends that i met in the group every Wednesday and Friday..
A Spurs fan, A Wolves fan and a Rugby fan.
Plenty of laughs and banter on the course and a drink after.
But have just renewed my season ticket Rangers still number one .
Then Now Always
What is your second sport. on 11:50 - Jun 15 with 1096 viewsLutonianR

In terms of playing mine is definitely darts, as I both play 3 times a week (only once a week over the summer though) and run a league here.

To watch though I mainly like F1, NFL, darts, cricket, & tennis.
What is your second sport. on 13:51 - Jun 15 with 1035 viewsLazyFan

After Football it would be ...

6-a-side Football
5-a-side Football
7-a-side Football
Cage Football
Kick About Football
Three-sided Football
Football Manager Moblie
Shrovetide Football
eSports Football

So, including Football, that's 10 sports I follow.

Who says I am not diverse and inclusive!

zzzzzzzzzz

What is your second sport. on 14:20 - Jun 15 with 996 viewsHayesender

After football, test cricket.

Used to love boxing, sportsnight, massive British championship fights and world title fights on terrestrial tv. But like alot of sports, it's become a bit of a circus now. All these fights out in Saudi etc have killed it for me.

Every summer I try to get into rugby league, and fail miserably

Poll: Shamima Beghum

What is your second sport. on 15:06 - Jun 15 with 980 viewsjoe90

In terms of ‘proper’ sport, cricket would be my other interest.

Aside from football - specifically QPR - I’m into skateboarding/rollerblading both doing it - going to sessions at my local skatepark and have traveled the country, Europe, US and Australia/NZ to skate. There was even a long period in my 20’s when I didn’t follow football at all and was completely dedicated to skating. Growing up watching skate videos have more really good exposure to music and other culture that I otherwise wouldn’t have had.

I don’t do any travelling for skating now I have a family/full-time job, but still follow it and try and get out as much as I can, but it takes a real toll on your body. The slams hurt so much more and take much longer to recover. Plus, I can’t afford to be injured.

[Post edited 15 Jun 15:07]
What is your second sport. on 23:22 - Jun 15 with 911 viewsMatch82

What is your second sport. on 02:44 - Jun 15 by FredManRave

This type of thread always amazes me with the lack of mentioning Basketball, specifically the NBA. I think there's been one mention of Basketball in the UK, and that's it.

Sport, in general, is about the adrenalin rush, the moments of seeing something unbelievable achieved by athletes that have trained, almost their entire lives to get to that level.

So, as a fan of any sport, I would assume you are looking for those "out of the seat" moments of high quality and "edge of the seat" moments when with seconds left in the game the result is still unknown.

NBA has all of this and more. I'm sure people will mention the time outs and the fact that a 48 minute game time can last over two hours, but if you're looking for elite athletes, playing at the highest level, with probably an average of 40 (complete guess) out of your seat moments, of appreciation of either attack or defence and not knowing the result when there are, literally seconds left on the clock, then this is the sport.

I'm watching the NBA finals as I write this (another time out!) but what an entertaining sport to watch.

Just my opinion, by the way, not saying that I know better than anyone else....

Since moving to the US I've gone back and forth on basketball.
On the one hand it still has incredible iconic moments like buzzer beaters. But because of the nature of the action, give or take a 50% chance that any possession is going to result in a score, it's effectively incredibly low stakes for each possession until the last 5 minutes of the game, so it's kind of hard to get really worked up and dialed in until then. And probably no more than 30% of games are really still close by that point.

If you're watching a game and it is one of the dramatic ones, then it's up there in terms of entertainment with any other sport. But the fact that there's a lower likelihood it will happen AND if it doesn't, almost none of the game has been exciting AND when it is dramatic, by definition it drags on with a timeout every other play, I can see why it turns some people off. It would be like if 70% of football matches a team was 3-0 up by halftime, the rest of the game would just feel like going through the motions a bit.

Personally it's still my second favourite US sport after the NFL (which I enjoy even more than football these days) but I can see why it doesn't get the same amount of love.
Login to get fewer ads

What is your second sport. on 23:40 - Jun 15 with 907 viewsnumptydumpty

My second sport is actually SEX

I am extremely proficient in this often unappreciated sporting activity.

Won't say anything inappropriate but second is not the position I come in - APPARENTLY !!!

Got to go.

Duty calls !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

What is your second sport. on 12:29 - Jun 16 with 836 viewsEsox_Lucius

Participate(d) to a decent level: Squash, Football, Cricket, Archery.
Enjoy watching, in no particular order,: Cricket, NFL/NCAAF, F1. MotoGP, Baseball, Speedway.

The grass is always greener.

What is your second sport. on 12:55 - Jun 16 with 809 viewsNorthernr

I like rugby league again after yesterday.
What is your second sport. on 14:17 - Jun 16 with 764 viewsSonofpugwash

Boxing.
Some good stuff in the offing - in all divisions.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

What is your second sport. on 16:24 - Jun 16 with 728 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gaelic Football. Inter-County football is going through a great period at the moment. Lots of attacking and counter-attacking. Fairly even competition with lots of teams on a paror close to it. Club football in Cork is variable, some of it great to watch, some of it turgid, but overall still very enjoyable.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What is your second sport. on 22:58 - Jun 16 with 663 viewsMyke

My children have rekindled interest in sports I used to enjoy back in the day. My daughter is into show-jumping which I used to love watching and do again after a 30 year hiatus. My son plays Gaelic and Hurling at a decent level (for Sligo) and I enjoy watching him play The fact that Sligo are involved in a second-tier tournament that they can compete in has whetted my appetite too, as realistically they were never going to win Sam.
Used to play a lot of Table Tennis in my late teens/ early 20's, and have started a club in the school which is good fun.
What is your second sport. on 02:37 - Jun 17 with 624 viewsjtuck

Playing:

1. Running. Everything from Cross-Country to Road to middle distance on the track. Ran 3000 Steeplechase for Thames Valley Harriers in National League. Then got bad knee, had arthroscopic surgery and told by doc in my 30s to quit running altogether.

2. Football: captain of 3rd XI for Burlington Danes in late 70s. Very average up-and-back midfielder who shouted a lot and clapped my hands. V good 5-a-side and even did a bit of Futsal in last few years after my knee did not absolutely fall apart.

3. Hiking: got into this just before lockdowns and had marvellous 2 years plus walking all over the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in the Los Angeles area. But the knee blew up again and doc told me to knock it off. Still great Indian Summer of my sporting life.

Watching:

1. Football: obviously never miss a game on QPR +, shout out to Jacob Tingle, but also follow MLS, LAFC is my team and standard is so much better than when I first started living in USA 25 years ago. And watch endless Premier League, even while hating the way it is run.

2. NBA: truly fantastic sport and highly misunderstood by many. Fan of the Clippers, the other team in LA after the Lakers. Tried really hard to like NFL and MLB and really don't.

Coaching:

Coached middle school Football, X-Country and Track & Field. Also coached and reffed in AYSO, soccer youth leagues when my sons played.

LAranger

What is your second sport. on 09:44 - Jun 17 with 550 viewsGalacticR

After football, I’m a massive NFL fan, been 49ers fan for about 30 years. Growing up used to go Wimbledon speedway every week. Also have Ice Hockey and boxing on my list. Did used to watch Basketball but haven’t really payed much attention to it the last couple of years.
What is your second sport. on 09:55 - Jun 17 with 549 viewsNoelmc

Playing

Have been involved with wheelchair tennis for over 40 years and still try to play twice a week. I also played wheelchair basketball until my late-thirties but gave up to concentrate on the tennis which is a more inclusive sport as I can play with able-bodied friends.

Started dinghy sailing after I retired and enjoy racing against other sailors with disabilities once a week on a nearby reservoir.

Watching

I've been going to Loftus Rd since I was seven and I've had a season ticket since 1980.

Also enjoy watching tennis, rugby union, athletics and gaelic football (pleased with Donegal's revival this season). Loved boxing in the 70's and 80's but only watch the odd big fight now.
What is your second sport. on 10:27 - Jun 17 with 514 viewsMrSheen

Basketball is the one major team sport I've got no time for, perhaps because I hated it so much the few times I played it as a kid. All I got from it was a sore neck.
My two late loves are the NRL and most recently college football - the latter more than the NFL, perhaps it's the resemblance to the lower league in tradition and place rather than footloose players and even clubs. I find January and February the dullest sporting months, ONLY football, no League, College football, all-Ireland, very little cricket.
What is your second sport. on 12:42 - Jun 17 with 431 viewshantssi

What is your second sport. on 02:37 - Jun 17 by jtuck

Playing:

1. Running. Everything from Cross-Country to Road to middle distance on the track. Ran 3000 Steeplechase for Thames Valley Harriers in National League. Then got bad knee, had arthroscopic surgery and told by doc in my 30s to quit running altogether.

2. Football: captain of 3rd XI for Burlington Danes in late 70s. Very average up-and-back midfielder who shouted a lot and clapped my hands. V good 5-a-side and even did a bit of Futsal in last few years after my knee did not absolutely fall apart.

3. Hiking: got into this just before lockdowns and had marvellous 2 years plus walking all over the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in the Los Angeles area. But the knee blew up again and doc told me to knock it off. Still great Indian Summer of my sporting life.

Watching:

1. Football: obviously never miss a game on QPR +, shout out to Jacob Tingle, but also follow MLS, LAFC is my team and standard is so much better than when I first started living in USA 25 years ago. And watch endless Premier League, even while hating the way it is run.

2. NBA: truly fantastic sport and highly misunderstood by many. Fan of the Clippers, the other team in LA after the Lakers. Tried really hard to like NFL and MLB and really don't.

Coaching:

Coached middle school Football, X-Country and Track & Field. Also coached and reffed in AYSO, soccer youth leagues when my sons played.

Burlington Danes in the London Old Boys League?
Played for Old Manorians between about 76 to 91.
Another sport I watch is gymnastics (obviously never tried it!) as my daughter was a pretty decent regional gymnast ( now a qualified coach) and it’s on the telly whenever the Worlds, Europeans or Olympics are on.
What is your second sport. on 13:22 - Jun 17 with 383 viewsGroveR

Rugby. Played (badly) for 20yrs and I've been coaching (equally badly) my eldest lad's age group since U5s to now (U15s). As a front-rower this mainly consists of how to get away with crafty digs in the scrum and at the breakdown (when you eventually arrive there).
What is your second sport. on 13:26 - Jun 17 with 381 viewsGroveR

What is your second sport. on 19:54 - Jun 4 by SK_hoops

Best tables in West London you say? Do you have to become a member?

I'd recommend looking at Acton snooker hall as well - great tables and cheap. Spend a few weeks playing snooker on a full size table and once your eye is on, you'll muller anyone at pool.

https://londonsnooker.co.uk/?page_id=280
What is your second sport. on 13:45 - Jun 17 with 362 viewsTrom

What is your second sport. on 05:43 - Jun 4 by UPPERLOFTNZ

Disc (frisbee) golf, Started playing to rehab a shoulder, now addicted. One of the fastest growing sports on the planet and soooo much fun! here in NZ a lot of courses are free to play, so an amazing way to get out walk a few KMS and meet some new people. Even met another R's fan!

The local disc golf course is in Croydon (Lloyd Park) for any Londers. Free to play.

There's another 18-hole course near Wembley (not free) and another 9-hole course in Morden.

It's a great sport and highly addictive.
What is your second sport. on 13:59 - Jun 17 with 341 viewsSpongeParr

Formula 1.

I used to go racing around the south of England with my kart. Loved it. Staying over in my campervan, setting up the kart, making new friends there and then obviously the racing. No buzz quite like accelerating towards 70mph and then out braking someone.

I have been to Silverstone 6 or so times, been Austin and Spa to watch it as well.

F1 and Football doesn't usually mix though. Not that many people when I was racing watched football and most of my mates who love football, don't like f1.

I never watch it but love playing Squash. A 30 minute game and you end up aching for days. It's full on, great for agility and good fun. Really quick turnover in the game, short sharp sprints. Great fun and more intense than playing tennis.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024