Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread 14:40 - Jun 23 with 14194 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I‘m Balkan at the thought of this.

1-1
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:11 - Jun 25 with 1518 viewsNed_Kennedys

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 09:01 - Jun 25 by TheChef

1-1 again.

Only alleged change so far for tonight is Gallagher in for TAA

A concerning lack of respect from within for Southgate as every one of his team selections have been leaked days beforehand in this tournament.
If it’s true then it’s another poor team selection from him. Gallagher has come on and run around a lot but he’s surely behind Wharton and Mainoo for the defensive midfield role next to Rice.
And to persist with Foden on the left for the third game in a row when it clearly didn’t work in the other two shows stubbornness and inflexibility.

Would still expect a 2-0 win which will then give Southgate a reason to remain unchanged in the next round.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:14 - Jun 25 with 1501 viewsHayesender

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 09:01 - Jun 25 by TheChef

1-1 again.

Only alleged change so far for tonight is Gallagher in for TAA

Good God!

I bet Southgate wears a condom when he //anks

Poll: Shamima Beghum

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:16 - Jun 25 with 1500 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 09:42 - Jun 25 by DannyPaddox

Yes England have officially qualified but whereas a win could see a knockout game against Georgia, Slovakia, or The Isle of Man etc, any dropped points could see a round of 16 clash with Germany. England have to go for it tonight. As do Slovenia. Alas an important point to remember is Southgate has no bottle. Initially I thought of this as a dead rubber but could be a very interesting night.

What does having no bottle even mean?

At the moment we'll be playing one of Austria, France or Holland in the next round
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:42 - Jun 25 with 1434 viewsPunteR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:11 - Jun 25 by Ned_Kennedys

A concerning lack of respect from within for Southgate as every one of his team selections have been leaked days beforehand in this tournament.
If it’s true then it’s another poor team selection from him. Gallagher has come on and run around a lot but he’s surely behind Wharton and Mainoo for the defensive midfield role next to Rice.
And to persist with Foden on the left for the third game in a row when it clearly didn’t work in the other two shows stubbornness and inflexibility.

Would still expect a 2-0 win which will then give Southgate a reason to remain unchanged in the next round.

You don't agree with the team selection but you still think we'll win.?
I'm gonna lay off Southgate. Yeh maybe his football style is suited more for the qualifiers rather than the business end of the tournament but I'm not digging the negative press atm. I'm not as invested as I used to be, so maybe I've chilled out more.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:47 - Jun 25 with 1419 viewsbosh67

We're through to the knock outs without kicking a ball. Watching Croatia throw away their chances in the last minute of their last two games and still have a vague chance of getting through on 2 points is amazing. At least, in theory, our lot can go out and play without too much pressure tonight because in reality it doesn't matter who we play in the last 16. Whoever it is, a better team or not, we have to actually turn up.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:53 - Jun 25 with 1385 viewsNed_Kennedys

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:42 - Jun 25 by PunteR

You don't agree with the team selection but you still think we'll win.?
I'm gonna lay off Southgate. Yeh maybe his football style is suited more for the qualifiers rather than the business end of the tournament but I'm not digging the negative press atm. I'm not as invested as I used to be, so maybe I've chilled out more.

Yeah I think we’ll win: we’ve been very poor for both games so far against lower ranked opposition and still got results so no reason for that to change tonight:

It’s the following matches where much more competitive challenges await and decent managers show what they are made of.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:07 - Jun 25 with 1332 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:47 - Jun 25 by bosh67

We're through to the knock outs without kicking a ball. Watching Croatia throw away their chances in the last minute of their last two games and still have a vague chance of getting through on 2 points is amazing. At least, in theory, our lot can go out and play without too much pressure tonight because in reality it doesn't matter who we play in the last 16. Whoever it is, a better team or not, we have to actually turn up.

I think they have to try and win the group and I think they will

As it stands Portugal, Germany, France and Spain are all in the other half of the draw although France should end up in our half if they win tonight. If we come 2nd we play Germany, 3rd and it's Portugal
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:23 - Jun 25 with 1304 viewsDannyPaddox

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:16 - Jun 25 by daveB

At the moment we'll be playing one of Austria, France or Holland in the next round

In the off-chance this a genuine question I’ll give as straightforward of an answer as I can. Having no bottle means being without courage, not having the aptitude or inclination to take a risk to the point where it becomes counterproductive. If Southgate had any bottle (though this is now overlapping with tactical nous) England would have got to the World Cup Final in 2018 and won the Euros in 2020. He failed in both by playing it safe. He has no bottle.
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:51 - Jun 25 with 1226 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:23 - Jun 25 by DannyPaddox

In the off-chance this a genuine question I’ll give as straightforward of an answer as I can. Having no bottle means being without courage, not having the aptitude or inclination to take a risk to the point where it becomes counterproductive. If Southgate had any bottle (though this is now overlapping with tactical nous) England would have got to the World Cup Final in 2018 and won the Euros in 2020. He failed in both by playing it safe. He has no bottle.

What risk would you have taken in those 2 games to win them?
When you look at his bench for that Croatia game not sure who else he brings on or what else he can change, it wasn't a great squad.

I thought he was too slow to make changes against Italy and when he did they were the wrong one but in both games if we take our chances we win both of those games, Kane missed a sitter against Croatia.

I just think that criticism of him in a bit over the top and unfair and said as if the players on the pitch have no influence at all over the result, is just on the manager.

It always intrigues me that Southgate gets slated for these 2 games yet Euro 96 when we didn't make a single change in that semi final leaving goal scorers on the bench ahead of penalties that Venables was never really questioned
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:04 - Jun 25 with 1198 viewsQPROslo

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:23 - Jun 25 by DannyPaddox

Because of our results in qualifying and in tournaments up to now I've largely had no major criticism of Southgate, but so far this tournament England have looked severely disjointed to me, worse than I remember. I can not believe we'll beat many sides left in the tournament unless he makes changes, like I suggested in a previous post or otherwise. As we are into the next round the best opportunity to try and practice the changes has got to be this evening.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:12 - Jun 25 with 1166 viewsDannyPaddox

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:51 - Jun 25 by daveB

When you look at his bench for that Croatia game not sure who else he brings on or what else he can change, it wasn't a great squad.

I thought he was too slow to make changes against Italy and when he did they were the wrong one but in both games if we take our chances we win both of those games, Kane missed a sitter against Croatia.

I just think that criticism of him in a bit over the top and unfair and said as if the players on the pitch have no influence at all over the result, is just on the manager.

It always intrigues me that Southgate gets slated for these 2 games yet Euro 96 when we didn't make a single change in that semi final leaving goal scorers on the bench ahead of penalties that Venables was never really questioned

Croatia: Wouldn’t have started Kane. He looked unfit even during the anthems. Seriously. He was sweating like he just eaten a bad kebab. I thought I was maybe reading too much in to it but after 15/20 mins you could see he was way off his game. I think he was unwell. Should have either started with Vardy or brought him on a lot earlier than 100+ minutes. But the given back then was Vardy was past it and Kane was the nation’s hero. Would have taken bottle to make that decision (see Ramsey, Hurst & Greaves, 1966) Southgate doesn’t have that bottle. There was also something going on to the right of England’s defence. All the Croatia threat was down the left. Something tactically should have been done to stop this happening. In the midsts of time I can’t remember what the solution should have been - possibly double up on whoever was coming down the left for Croatia.

Italy: most rank average Italian side in decades. There for the taking. Shouldn’t have got as far as the lottery of penalties. Even then didn’t he do that classic error of bringing people off the bench in the last minute to take pens who then missed them.

Haven’t watched either game since but those are my recollections.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:12 - Jun 25 with 1165 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think we are letting the players off the hook too easily personally.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:20 - Jun 25 with 1119 viewsNed_Kennedys

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:04 - Jun 25 by QPROslo

Because of our results in qualifying and in tournaments up to now I've largely had no major criticism of Southgate, but so far this tournament England have looked severely disjointed to me, worse than I remember. I can not believe we'll beat many sides left in the tournament unless he makes changes, like I suggested in a previous post or otherwise. As we are into the next round the best opportunity to try and practice the changes has got to be this evening.

Absolutely: we are already through so tonight should be about resting players so they are fresh for the knockout rounds (as Spain did) and trying an alternative on the left. Be brave with the team selection: he can always go back to his favourites if it doesn’t work.

To me it doesn’t matter who we play in the next round: if you are serious about winning the tournament and then you’ll have to beat a number of the best teams at some stage.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:23 - Jun 25 with 1103 viewslassel

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 10:16 - Jun 25 by daveB

Maybe I’m reading it wrong - you need a Harvard doctorate it seems - but it looks more likely to be Slovakia in the next round if we win the group and Austria vs Spain?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:24 - Jun 25 with 1095 viewskensalriser

If England lose this one I'm voting Reform and everybody can f** off.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:55 - Jun 25 with 1021 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:12 - Jun 25 by DannyPaddox

Croatia: Wouldn’t have started Kane. He looked unfit even during the anthems. Seriously. He was sweating like he just eaten a bad kebab. I thought I was maybe reading too much in to it but after 15/20 mins you could see he was way off his game. I think he was unwell. Should have either started with Vardy or brought him on a lot earlier than 100+ minutes. But the given back then was Vardy was past it and Kane was the nation’s hero. Would have taken bottle to make that decision (see Ramsey, Hurst & Greaves, 1966) Southgate doesn’t have that bottle. There was also something going on to the right of England’s defence. All the Croatia threat was down the left. Something tactically should have been done to stop this happening. In the midsts of time I can’t remember what the solution should have been - possibly double up on whoever was coming down the left for Croatia.

Italy: most rank average Italian side in decades. There for the taking. Shouldn’t have got as far as the lottery of penalties. Even then didn’t he do that classic error of bringing people off the bench in the last minute to take pens who then missed them.

Haven’t watched either game since but those are my recollections.

Italy were something like 39 games unbeaten, beat a good Belgium and Spanish teams to get to the final they were a good side in great form. Not much in the game in the night both teams had good spells a draw was about right and if we score our penalties we win as Pickford saved 2 of them

As for dropping Kane for the semi final that wouldn't have been brave would have been a mad call. Ramsey didn't drop Greaves in the 66 world cup he got injured, no way would he have dropped him if he was fit and had started all the games.
England just didn't have the team or the squad in 2018 to win that, even if we squeaked past Croatia we'd have got battered in the final
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jun 25 with 1015 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:23 - Jun 25 by lassel

Maybe I’m reading it wrong - you need a Harvard doctorate it seems - but it looks more likely to be Slovakia in the next round if we win the group and Austria vs Spain?

I think we get the group d 3rd place but isn't very clear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cyddrvlg3j9o
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jun 25 with 1014 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:12 - Jun 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think we are letting the players off the hook too easily personally.

On that subject...

Or is it just players walking on to a coach?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 13:19 - Jun 25 with 940 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jun 25 by TheChef

On that subject...

When you display any kid of character or emotion to the UK press as an England player you get hounded to death (Gazza).

I’d come out in a burkha.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 13:31 - Jun 25 with 890 viewslassel

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jun 25 by daveB

I think we get the group d 3rd place but isn't very clear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cyddrvlg3j9o

You’re spot on infact that right now it would be Austria

However if England were to put several past Slovenia tonight it would become Slovakia in the next round and if Czech Republic were to win we would play them.

So best bet is for Gareth to not try and sit back on a 1-0 tonight and hope the Czechs don’t beat Turkey.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 13:51 - Jun 25 with 806 viewskensalriser

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jun 25 by TheChef

On that subject...

Time for a Venn diagram: football fans and body language experts.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 13:52 - Jun 25 with 799 viewsSydneyRs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 11:51 - Jun 25 by daveB

While it looked like Kane missed a sitter v Croatia, it was actually a fantastic save by the keeper who got a touch on it. Kane actually did everything right. Fine margins.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 14:44 - Jun 25 with 634 viewshubble

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 12:55 - Jun 25 by daveB

Italy were something like 39 games unbeaten, beat a good Belgium and Spanish teams to get to the final they were a good side in great form. Not much in the game in the night both teams had good spells a draw was about right and if we score our penalties we win as Pickford saved 2 of them

As for dropping Kane for the semi final that wouldn't have been brave would have been a mad call. Ramsey didn't drop Greaves in the 66 world cup he got injured, no way would he have dropped him if he was fit and had started all the games.
England just didn't have the team or the squad in 2018 to win that, even if we squeaked past Croatia we'd have got battered in the final

Narr, I'm not having that Dave. I was at Wembley that night and Italy were there for the taking. Everyone man, woman, child and pigeon present could see that we needed to go for the throat and finish them off. So what does Safegate do? Nothing. He changes nothing at all, and exactly like the games we've had so far in this Euros, he tries to defend a 1-0 lead. Inevitably, Italy eventually score on 67', and only then does Safegate make his first subs. It was absolutely pathetic.
[Post edited 25 Jun 14:44]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 14:57 - Jun 25 with 568 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 14:44 - Jun 25 by hubble

Narr, I'm not having that Dave. I was at Wembley that night and Italy were there for the taking. Everyone man, woman, child and pigeon present could see that we needed to go for the throat and finish them off. So what does Safegate do? Nothing. He changes nothing at all, and exactly like the games we've had so far in this Euros, he tries to defend a 1-0 lead. Inevitably, Italy eventually score on 67', and only then does Safegate make his first subs. It was absolutely pathetic.
[Post edited 25 Jun 14:44]

what changes should he have made then?

All very well saying go for the throat, we had chances to go 2-0 up
I thought he should have made a change earlier but not sure there was an obvious one,
I do think taking off Rice was a mistake but we had lost the midfield battle so could understand it
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 15:01 - Jun 25 with 546 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Slovenia 🇸🇮 Match Thread on 14:57 - Jun 25 by daveB

what changes should he have made then?

All very well saying go for the throat, we had chances to go 2-0 up
I thought he should have made a change earlier but not sure there was an obvious one,
I do think taking off Rice was a mistake but we had lost the midfield battle so could understand it

What chances did we have to make it 2-0? I honestly can't remember.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024