Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Cocktail? 18:59 - Aug 4 with 13496 viewsToast_R

While in the holiday season and all that.

I tried an Aperol Spritzer for the first time the last month and now I'm a huge fan. Just started my second bottle of Aperol at home. Pretty easy one to put together which also helps.
0
Favourite Cocktail? on 12:09 - Aug 6 with 2128 viewsrobith

Favourite Cocktail? on 11:54 - Aug 6 by nick_hammersmith

Location plays a massive part to this.

A Mohito in Havana is something else, and a rum punch in the Bahamas is pretty special


Yeah I'm not that into caiprinhas, but at a festival I go to in Porto they sell pints of them and it's the perfect thing to juice up your evening circa 1am
2
Favourite Cocktail? on 12:17 - Aug 6 with 2106 viewsA40Bosh

Favourite Cocktail? on 09:30 - Aug 6 by hubble

Love a picante margarita. Every time I’ve made them people say, ‘that’s the best cocktail I’ve ever tasted’….

Mescal, lime juice and agave syrup with crushed chilli and coriander (sieved and then shaken with crushed ice), tajin spice seasoning on the rim of the glass… try it.


When I worked for Soho House for 4yrs I used to love their picante variant ‘Picante de Casa’. Similar sort of thing.

Other than that I just love a pina colada beside the pool followed by whatever local lager 🍺 is on n tap at the pool bar

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

0
Favourite Cocktail? on 13:03 - Aug 6 with 2022 viewsW13R

Favourite Cocktail? on 12:17 - Aug 6 by A40Bosh

When I worked for Soho House for 4yrs I used to love their picante variant ‘Picante de Casa’. Similar sort of thing.

Other than that I just love a pina colada beside the pool followed by whatever local lager 🍺 is on n tap at the pool bar


Love any sort of daiquiri but especially coconut!

Just came back from Lanzarote a short while back and they served a lovely little tipple called Honey Rum made by Artemi......bloody lovely it was!
0
Favourite Cocktail? on 13:20 - Aug 6 with 1981 viewsTheChef

Favourite Cocktail? on 09:02 - Aug 6 by RBlock

Another vote for a negroni here - I like to play around with the sweet vermouth, loads of options there. Lillet Rose is my go to, which is a bit lighter than your Martini Rosso, or something like a Del Proffesore or an Antica Formula for something a bit heavier.

For a spritz, Aperol is great but it can get a bit sickly after a few IMO. Rather a Campari spritz, keeping that bitterness.

A caipirinha is great as well, a few of those in the sun will do the job.


Oh and a decent splash of Martini Rosso on the rocks is also great.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

0
Favourite Cocktail? on 14:58 - Aug 6 with 1887 viewslondonscottish

Favourite Cocktail? on 09:02 - Aug 6 by RBlock

Another vote for a negroni here - I like to play around with the sweet vermouth, loads of options there. Lillet Rose is my go to, which is a bit lighter than your Martini Rosso, or something like a Del Proffesore or an Antica Formula for something a bit heavier.

For a spritz, Aperol is great but it can get a bit sickly after a few IMO. Rather a Campari spritz, keeping that bitterness.

A caipirinha is great as well, a few of those in the sun will do the job.


I love a Negroni myself. And a Campari Spritz.

But my favourite Negroni alternative is the Spagliato which keeps the Campari and the vermouth but swaps out the gin for prosecco/crémant/cava etc

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

1
Favourite Cocktail? on 19:42 - Aug 6 with 1724 viewsBlackCrowe

Favourite Cocktail? on 14:58 - Aug 6 by londonscottish

I love a Negroni myself. And a Campari Spritz.

But my favourite Negroni alternative is the Spagliato which keeps the Campari and the vermouth but swaps out the gin for prosecco/crémant/cava etc


Oh yeah...quite partial to a paloma. Have had a couple of mild carnage nights on them.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

0
Favourite Cocktail? on 20:17 - Aug 6 with 1694 viewsMaggsinho

Given its prevalence on this thread a new chant of ‘We are the negroni boys’ for this season?
3
Favourite Cocktail? on 20:49 - Aug 6 with 1632 viewsTwoHalves

Favourite Cocktail? on 19:42 - Aug 6 by BlackCrowe

Oh yeah...quite partial to a paloma. Have had a couple of mild carnage nights on them.


Talking of ‘carnage nights’ involving cocktails, my Spurs mate and I found ourselves embroiled in an altercation on the train back from Margate after a disastrous Bank Holiday visit to the Bali Hai discotheque in the late 70’s, spending the night as guests of Ramsgate police as a result.

Harvey Wallbangers were in vogue at the time and I would conservatively estimate that at least ten each were consumed (together with several bottles of Holsten Pils lager).

The experience put me off cocktails for many years until I undertook a few trips to Cuba in the late 90’s/early 00’s where, channeling the spirit of Ernest Hemingway, I was introduced to the mojito by a dancer in a folkloric group in Baracoa.

Salud, dinero y amor!
1
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Cocktail? on 21:22 - Aug 6 with 1593 viewsMrSheen

Favourite Cocktail? on 20:17 - Aug 6 by Maggsinho

Given its prevalence on this thread a new chant of ‘We are the negroni boys’ for this season?


Got carried away by this thread and tried Noilly Prat instead of sweet vermouth in tonight’s Negroni. Gin, Campari, Noilly Prat, Fernet Branca, Angostura…deliciously bitter.
1
Favourite Cocktail? on 21:38 - Aug 6 with 1564 viewsMick_S

Rangers win = Negroni for the rest of the season. Cheers.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

0
Favourite Cocktail? on 06:37 - Aug 7 with 1414 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Mohito with fresh mint and brown sugar on the glass (Cuban style I think).

I drink them rarely though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

1
Favourite Cocktail? on 10:07 - Aug 7 with 1331 viewsnick_hammersmith

Favourite Cocktail? on 20:49 - Aug 6 by TwoHalves

Talking of ‘carnage nights’ involving cocktails, my Spurs mate and I found ourselves embroiled in an altercation on the train back from Margate after a disastrous Bank Holiday visit to the Bali Hai discotheque in the late 70’s, spending the night as guests of Ramsgate police as a result.

Harvey Wallbangers were in vogue at the time and I would conservatively estimate that at least ten each were consumed (together with several bottles of Holsten Pils lager).

The experience put me off cocktails for many years until I undertook a few trips to Cuba in the late 90’s/early 00’s where, channeling the spirit of Ernest Hemingway, I was introduced to the mojito by a dancer in a folkloric group in Baracoa.

Salud, dinero y amor!


Wasn't Hemingway partial to the Daiquiri?
1
Favourite Cocktail? on 10:19 - Aug 7 with 1313 viewsTwoHalves

Favourite Cocktail? on 10:07 - Aug 7 by nick_hammersmith

Wasn't Hemingway partial to the Daiquiri?


I think he was partial to a lot of things!
1
Favourite Cocktail? on 10:36 - Aug 7 with 1286 viewsRBlock

Favourite Cocktail? on 10:07 - Aug 7 by nick_hammersmith

Wasn't Hemingway partial to the Daiquiri?


Yup - although a slightly tailored one without any sugar, because he was diabetic. Had it with maraschino liqueur and grapefruit juice.
2
Favourite Cocktail? on 11:25 - Aug 7 with 1245 viewsrobith

Favourite Cocktail? on 20:17 - Aug 6 by Maggsinho

Given its prevalence on this thread a new chant of ‘We are the negroni boys’ for this season?


jesus, I couldn't imagine the crowd on negronis. We had a work Christmas party where there were basically unlimited free negronis all night and we're still dealing with the emotional fall out almost 3 years later
5
Favourite Cocktail? on 12:16 - Aug 7 with 1212 viewsRangersw12

Long Island Iced Tea

I do confess that drinking a pitcher of it to myself at Ipswich away last season was a mistake though
1
Favourite Cocktail? on 12:29 - Aug 7 with 1183 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Favourite Cocktail? on 10:07 - Aug 7 by nick_hammersmith

Wasn't Hemingway partial to the Daiquiri?


Havana is a great city to go to for venues where cocktails claim to have been invented. El Floridita,where Hemmingway regularly got soaked, claimed to be the birthplace of daiquiris. La Bodiquita for mojitos and I forgetthe place for Cuba Libres.

Anyway, when I was there 20 odd years ago, cheap as chips to get sloshed of an afternoon.

Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

1
Favourite Cocktail? on 16:16 - Aug 7 with 1111 viewsBlackCrowe

Favourite Cocktail? on 12:29 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Havana is a great city to go to for venues where cocktails claim to have been invented. El Floridita,where Hemmingway regularly got soaked, claimed to be the birthplace of daiquiris. La Bodiquita for mojitos and I forgetthe place for Cuba Libres.

Anyway, when I was there 20 odd years ago, cheap as chips to get sloshed of an afternoon.


Not trying to one upmanship but i was first there in '98 and my mate and i went to the courtyard of the Nacional one our first night to do the done thing of having a Montecristo and a mojito when Muhammed Ali's wife came up and asked if they could share our table. It was a surreal next hour or two.

Separately, you can get into a lot of trouble in Havana and we had a damn good crack at it though thankfully all went well but certainly got a few stories to tell. Superb times.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

3
Favourite Cocktail? on 16:38 - Aug 7 with 1084 viewsjoe90



Nothing beats a blue lagoon on a hot summers night.
0
Favourite Cocktail? on 16:46 - Aug 7 with 1066 viewsTwoHalves

Favourite Cocktail? on 16:16 - Aug 7 by BlackCrowe

Not trying to one upmanship but i was first there in '98 and my mate and i went to the courtyard of the Nacional one our first night to do the done thing of having a Montecristo and a mojito when Muhammed Ali's wife came up and asked if they could share our table. It was a surreal next hour or two.

Separately, you can get into a lot of trouble in Havana and we had a damn good crack at it though thankfully all went well but certainly got a few stories to tell. Superb times.


Our ‘surreal hour or two’ occurred at the poolside of the Hotel Sevilla in Havana. My lot were similarly enjoying a mojito or two when a weird bloke with a wig started pissing everyone off playing a ukulele and bothering young women. It was Gary Glitter (don’t shoot the messenger).
0
Favourite Cocktail? on 16:48 - Aug 7 with 1058 viewsTwoHalves

Favourite Cocktail? on 16:38 - Aug 7 by joe90



Nothing beats a blue lagoon on a hot summers night.


Is that next year’s shirt?
2
Favourite Cocktail? on 16:55 - Aug 7 with 1041 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Favourite Cocktail? on 16:16 - Aug 7 by BlackCrowe

Not trying to one upmanship but i was first there in '98 and my mate and i went to the courtyard of the Nacional one our first night to do the done thing of having a Montecristo and a mojito when Muhammed Ali's wife came up and asked if they could share our table. It was a surreal next hour or two.

Separately, you can get into a lot of trouble in Havana and we had a damn good crack at it though thankfully all went well but certainly got a few stories to tell. Superb times.


Wow, you ain't topping that!!

I was cycling from Guantanamo to the resort just past Havana. Bloody knackered by the end, so for the last couple of days, I thought I'd head back to Havana and have some R&R in the Nacional.

However, one of the Cubans riding with us, invited me to have dinner with his family in his part of town. Rude to say no. So, I suggested we start with a few in the bar at the Nacional. 'I'd like to, but they won't let me in!' was his reply and despite my, bollox to that, he did not want to cause a scene. So, off we go in one of those big old yank cars that double as a taxi.

What a night! Not many gringos get to see this side of Havana. The whole street just meandered in and out of peoples' houses at will. I arrived with a 24-pack of Buccaneros, which got demolished and replaced by neighbours. In the end, Lord knows how many people wandered into eat and drink, and I even wandered into a neighbour's house uninvited for a beer.

Got a cab home, another experience in a car where brakes were lacking. Sat and did like you in the bar. But felt a little uneasy, as I had an experience you don't normally get.

All people were equal in Cuba under Fidel, just that some were more equal than others!!

Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

2
Favourite Cocktail? on 17:34 - Aug 7 with 1010 viewsnick_hammersmith

Favourite Cocktail? on 12:29 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Havana is a great city to go to for venues where cocktails claim to have been invented. El Floridita,where Hemmingway regularly got soaked, claimed to be the birthplace of daiquiris. La Bodiquita for mojitos and I forgetthe place for Cuba Libres.

Anyway, when I was there 20 odd years ago, cheap as chips to get sloshed of an afternoon.


Had steak and lobster in the Floridita, like being in a timewarp from the late '50s

Lifted back the tablecloth to see how the table was and got a perfect simile for how Cuba is as a country!

What an amazing place, I hope once Trump goes they can't start to work with the US again to get some help
0
Favourite Cocktail? on 17:48 - Aug 7 with 990 viewsBlackCrowe

Favourite Cocktail? on 16:55 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Wow, you ain't topping that!!

I was cycling from Guantanamo to the resort just past Havana. Bloody knackered by the end, so for the last couple of days, I thought I'd head back to Havana and have some R&R in the Nacional.

However, one of the Cubans riding with us, invited me to have dinner with his family in his part of town. Rude to say no. So, I suggested we start with a few in the bar at the Nacional. 'I'd like to, but they won't let me in!' was his reply and despite my, bollox to that, he did not want to cause a scene. So, off we go in one of those big old yank cars that double as a taxi.

What a night! Not many gringos get to see this side of Havana. The whole street just meandered in and out of peoples' houses at will. I arrived with a 24-pack of Buccaneros, which got demolished and replaced by neighbours. In the end, Lord knows how many people wandered into eat and drink, and I even wandered into a neighbour's house uninvited for a beer.

Got a cab home, another experience in a car where brakes were lacking. Sat and did like you in the bar. But felt a little uneasy, as I had an experience you don't normally get.

All people were equal in Cuba under Fidel, just that some were more equal than others!!


Yeah this sounds in a similar vein to us. We were walking down some deserted back street early evening but it was dark. Some guy started asking if we wanted to change money or something and was being persistent but not at all threatening. Out of the shadows appeared to (i assume) secret police who started being the crap out him. A window opened from one of the houses and a guy beckoned us in to escape the mayhem. It turned out to be a speakeasy of some sort...amazing place and within 10 mins we were sat up at the bar with him, a mute prostitute and her mother. The evening unravelled big time from then on. Superb fun.

Havana (back then at least)...expect the unexpected.

Things didn't really let up in Trinidad or Varadero either. But i took a large 2 foot cutting of an amazing cactus from a hotel driveway, wrapped in a sopping wet towel and took it on the flight back home. 28 years on it still thrives and even flowers every three or 4 years.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

2
Favourite Cocktail? on 18:24 - Aug 7 with 957 viewsnick_hammersmith

Favourite Cocktail? on 17:48 - Aug 7 by BlackCrowe

Yeah this sounds in a similar vein to us. We were walking down some deserted back street early evening but it was dark. Some guy started asking if we wanted to change money or something and was being persistent but not at all threatening. Out of the shadows appeared to (i assume) secret police who started being the crap out him. A window opened from one of the houses and a guy beckoned us in to escape the mayhem. It turned out to be a speakeasy of some sort...amazing place and within 10 mins we were sat up at the bar with him, a mute prostitute and her mother. The evening unravelled big time from then on. Superb fun.

Havana (back then at least)...expect the unexpected.

Things didn't really let up in Trinidad or Varadero either. But i took a large 2 foot cutting of an amazing cactus from a hotel driveway, wrapped in a sopping wet towel and took it on the flight back home. 28 years on it still thrives and even flowers every three or 4 years.


10 hours later "anything to declare?" at Heathrow ;D
Just this stinking lump of agave wrapped in a towel !!
3
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026