Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers 12:08 - Aug 3 with 11918 views1BobbyHazell

Been reading the pre season threads without getting too much involved but with a week to go and excitement/fear building it's time to get stuck in.

One thing that really strikes me is a lot of us seem to be having trouble letting go of our modus operandi of the last few years. I've just read one thread where someone is demanding the purchase of 6 new players!! F**king ell. Has it really only taken a few years to become such spoilt brats? Have we really already forgotten Summer 'Spending' that involved the likes of solely free transfers like John Curtis (Jesus, remember him!?) and Zesh Rehman, or being in a celebratory daze when we some how managed to raise the 300k for Lee Camp just before The Money Men arrived?

We're fortunate enough to still have some dough so we don't have to go back to the old day's financial restrictions but maybe we should still appreciate that the days of demanding that we plug every perceived weakness in our squad with an instant satisfactory purchase are over, and good job an' all.

I wanted Clement for whatever reasons but now I'm well behind what we are trying to do. Long term plan means just that, it is not all about where we finish this year, more what type of squad we start to build ('start' being the operative word, these things take more than a few months/1 season), what type of football we install as a philosophy (at senior and academy levels), how we deal with and recover from the transition from being a club that had a higher wage bill than Champions League finalists losing near to a quarter of a billion pounds in 3 years to being one with a vastly reduced wage bill and transfer budget that is trying to claw back a few quid without the bottom totally falling out on the pitch, and generally what we put in place off the pitch to provide any chance of mid to long term 'success' - whatever your definition of that may be.

The club and the team is undergoing a massive transformation. We're lucky enough to be able to buy a few promising younger players (which in itself is well worth being grateful for) and hopefully in time that will turn into a squad ready to challenge for promotion and more importantly, as we should all now by know, have a decent shot at staying there without losing 70 million quid a season.

Patience Grasshoppers.

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 12:15 - Aug 3 with 6187 viewsbosh67

I am looking forward to this season. I don't think or expect us to tear up trees and bounce back to the Prem at the first attempt but I am hoping for a style of football worthy of the QPR name. Hopefully attacking with flair and solid at the back. I think there is a much more ambitious selection of players now. They may not be as experienced as the ones that left but I feel they will play with a lot more heart.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 12:15 - Aug 3 with 6126 viewsAddinall

Well said Hazell.Some comment on here is unbelievable!
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 12:25]
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 12:21 - Aug 3 with 6093 viewsadhoc_qpr

I can't wait for the season to start, despite some worries about the state of the club.

There's been some good, some bad and am awful lot of hot air so far this summer - it will be nice to get down to business!
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 13:01 - Aug 3 with 5980 viewsFWB

I'm so pleased to see Bobby say that. We're trying to go back to running Rangers the old way and it won't work overnight. But the rewards could be great if we show patience. I've seen three great Rangers teams play - Alec Stock's in the 60s, Gordon Jago's/Dave Sexton's in the 70s and Terry Venables' in the 80s. Every one of those teams was made up of home grown players, cheap buys from lower divisions and the odd smattering of class, a maverick nobody wanted normally.

We're right at the start of a new cycle. It could fail to live up to previous cycles and I doubt it'll match the best of them but it'll give us an honest side that is identifiably QPR, something we haven't had since Ollie's day. Please give them all a chance to get working together and support them in their efforts.

You never know, it might be quite a ride.

Right. That was my first post on any board bar the QPR list for the best part of a decade, so I'll get back in the box now.

FWB
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 13:32 - Aug 3 with 5869 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good post, Bobby.

I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 13:43 - Aug 3 with 5792 viewsJigsore

accidentally gave the down arrow, sorry. Totally agree, squads aren't built in a season

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:03 - Aug 3 with 5688 viewsQPR_John

Well 1BH have to agree and that does not happen very often.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:17 - Aug 3 with 5623 viewsrunningman75

I am still waiting for our new signing from Man Untd who can follow in the footsteps of Park and Ferdinand ( Rio).
Login to get fewer ads

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:21 - Aug 3 with 5609 viewsBushman

I broadly agree with the OP but still dont understand why we have gone from throwing loads of money at the problem to (relatively) nothing??

Investing in young players with something to prove is the way ahead instead of relying on loans?

BTW Isn't building a strong defence & then introducing the other components rule 1 in football management?

Frustrating

[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 14:21]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:35 - Aug 3 with 5544 viewsDeepcutHoop

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:21 - Aug 3 by Bushman

I broadly agree with the OP but still dont understand why we have gone from throwing loads of money at the problem to (relatively) nothing??

Investing in young players with something to prove is the way ahead instead of relying on loans?

BTW Isn't building a strong defence & then introducing the other components rule 1 in football management?

Frustrating

'Relatively nothing' is an odd way to look at our transfers so far this summer.

I take your point about the defence though, and it is a concern.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:43 - Aug 3 with 5515 viewsAntti_Heinola

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:21 - Aug 3 by Bushman

Frustrating

Relatively nothing?

This is exactly what Bobby is talking about. We're still spending more then probably 90% of teams in this league!

Bare bones.

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 15:04 - Aug 3 with 5442 viewsadhoc_qpr

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 14:35 - Aug 3 by DeepcutHoop

'Relatively nothing' is an odd way to look at our transfers so far this summer.

I take your point about the defence though, and it is a concern.

So far we've spent:

£3.5m for the Swindon pair
£1m for Perch (might be a bit less)
£1m for Polter
£2.25 for Chery

£7.75m - which i guess would put us amongst the top spenders in the Championship?

Although we have recouped about £13m for Sterling, McCarthy and Caulker's loan fee too.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 15:40 - Aug 3 with 5377 viewsNorthernr

Top post and steals the thunder from the Charlton match preview somewhat.
Some of the posts on here and on Twitter I've found really surprising. People going at Fernandes yesterday asking why we're not going for Dwight Gayle like Fulham are, writing off Polter already after two friendlies.

I wonder if we talk a good game. It's something I've thought since Darnell Furlong's three games last year where the sdame people who used to slag Redknapp off for putting square pegs in round holes, never picking a youth teamer, were suddenly saying "well I wouldn't have started Furlong" and saying Karl bloody Henry should have played left back. Similarly there are still people who say our big problem last year was failure to strengthen in January, as if Redknapp had shown in any of his previous transfer windows that letting him add another 6 players would have improved things at all.

If you want the club to be run sensibly and sustainably, buying and scouting players from lower divisions, working on and promoting our youth players, playing a more attractive brand of football, getting the average age of the squad down then you've got your wish because that's what they're doing. But you can't do that in a couple of months, it might take us months or all year to get the squad into this new shape. Strikes me that people's patience isn't going to stretch much further than the Wolves game if we don't win two of the first three.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:06 - Aug 3 with 5315 viewsAntti_Heinola

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 15:40 - Aug 3 by Northernr

Some of the posts on here and on Twitter I've found really surprising. People going at Fernandes yesterday asking why we're not going for Dwight Gayle like Fulham are, writing off Polter already after two friendlies.

I wonder if we talk a good game. It's something I've thought since Darnell Furlong's three games last year where the sdame people who used to slag Redknapp off for putting square pegs in round holes, never picking a youth teamer, were suddenly saying "well I wouldn't have started Furlong" and saying Karl bloody Henry should have played left back. Similarly there are still people who say our big problem last year was failure to strengthen in January, as if Redknapp had shown in any of his previous transfer windows that letting him add another 6 players would have improved things at all.

If you want the club to be run sensibly and sustainably, buying and scouting players from lower divisions, working on and promoting our youth players, playing a more attractive brand of football, getting the average age of the squad down then you've got your wish because that's what they're doing. But you can't do that in a couple of months, it might take us months or all year to get the squad into this new shape. Strikes me that people's patience isn't going to stretch much further than the Wolves game if we don't win two of the first three.

Spot on and I worry about that too. People saying things like 'if we're going to challenge' or 'to get out of this league you need...'
My big concern is we may not start quickly. i really pray for Ramsey that he gets an early win because otherwise it'll get ugly on here, which will be a shame. I'm not convinced he's the man for us, yet, but we have to give him a proper crack of the whip.
People going on about transfers etc 'not being rocket science' make me despair - the job this summer has been enormous, and I'm actually pretty staggered that they (seem) to have done as well as they have.
I'll be more than happy with a fitter, sharper, faster, more adaptable team, some attacking intent home and away, and a clear eye on the future. If that means finishing 14th this season, or even lower, then fine, as long as it feels like we're moving forward - even if it means we have to take a step back to do it.

If you look at last season's table, 4 of the top 6 finished in and around mid-table the previous year (Bournemouth 10th, Watford 13th, Middlesbrough 12th, Ipswich 9th), one was in the league below (Brentford), another (Norwich) in the league above. I really don't care if we don't challenge this season to go up. What matters is righting a lot of wrongs, which'll take more than one pre-season. If we can then build on that next season - brilliant.

Bare bones.

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:14 - Aug 3 with 5280 viewsoldmeadoniansR

I don't mind if they lose the first five and then some more. I don't care if we are relegated, which I don't think we will be. The club is heading in a better direction than it has done for some time. It will invariably take time and we may be a bit short in defence and up top. But isn't it good to think youngsters may be given a chance to fill various holes. Blackwood, Greco Cox, Furlong, Kp. I am looking forward to finding out if they are good enough.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:17 - Aug 3 with 5268 viewsBklynRanger

A lot of the problem is going to be about (sorry I'm going to have to use this word) calibrating our expectations to the Championship. We can all remember how difficult the this league is, but that won't stop a lot of people lapsing into the belief that Ramsey has been allowed to bring in decent players and we should be doing better than we are unless we're in the top 6.

It seems to be partly a result of the positive way that these signings are described and partly just a lack of patience. For example, by mid October I fully expect to be lying on my sofa at half ten in the morning listening to Brett Angel wax lyrical and incomprehensible about Charon Chery. And if that doesn't happen I'm going to want some fcuking answers! And the answer most likely will be that he's getting marked out of the game by some wiley old midfielder and he can't be a world beater every week or he wouldn't be with us in the Championship.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:42 - Aug 3 with 5205 viewsPhilmyRs

So let me get this right, if you thought Ramsey made a mistake in picking the no Football experience Furlong against Arsenal and Crystal Palace (where he was arguably the weakest player on the pitch) and you questioned the decision not to buy a striker in January, a position we clearly should have addressed in pre-season let alone January, it makes you an anti-youth team and pro always buying players supporter? E.g. in the Harry mould?

‘But you can't do that in a couple of months, it might take us months or all year to get the squad into this new shape’. Exactly. You can’t say I want a younger, hungrier team, then raid our youth team and suddenly the problems fixed. If the players aren’t of sufficient ability then you can’t just throw them in and fix a problem.
Getting young, hungry players into the team will more than likely be achieved by sensible and good purchases (spending money), like what we’re doing presently. It will be sometime before a decent group of youngsters emerge via our shambolic academy.

I like what we’re doing now, I wouldn’t have picked Furlong last season (Hull apart) and I would have bought a striker in January, yet I’d still ‘want the club to be run sensibly and sustainably, buying and scouting players from lower divisions, working on and promoting our youth players, playing a more attractive brand of football, getting the average age of the squad down’. In short, the Furlong examples a poor one.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:48 - Aug 3 with 5183 viewsNorthernr

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:42 - Aug 3 by PhilmyRs

So let me get this right, if you thought Ramsey made a mistake in picking the no Football experience Furlong against Arsenal and Crystal Palace (where he was arguably the weakest player on the pitch) and you questioned the decision not to buy a striker in January, a position we clearly should have addressed in pre-season let alone January, it makes you an anti-youth team and pro always buying players supporter? E.g. in the Harry mould?

‘But you can't do that in a couple of months, it might take us months or all year to get the squad into this new shape’. Exactly. You can’t say I want a younger, hungrier team, then raid our youth team and suddenly the problems fixed. If the players aren’t of sufficient ability then you can’t just throw them in and fix a problem.
Getting young, hungry players into the team will more than likely be achieved by sensible and good purchases (spending money), like what we’re doing presently. It will be sometime before a decent group of youngsters emerge via our shambolic academy.

I like what we’re doing now, I wouldn’t have picked Furlong last season (Hull apart) and I would have bought a striker in January, yet I’d still ‘want the club to be run sensibly and sustainably, buying and scouting players from lower divisions, working on and promoting our youth players, playing a more attractive brand of football, getting the average age of the squad down’. In short, the Furlong examples a poor one.

I don't think it is. He picked Furlong because we had nobody else through injuries and suspensions. It had been said for ages that in such situations we should pick a youth teamer and yet when it happened people said Karl Henry should have played there.

And yeh I think the whole "should have bought a striker in January" stuff is rubbish too. We had one, Vargas, who he never picked up front. The previous January we let Redknappgo out and add three strikers, and he brought in Doyle, Maiga and Will Keane. Charlie Austin was a great signing, other than that every time we went into the transfer market with Redknapp looking for a striker we bought a fcking dog. Two years previous he'd gone out in the January transfer market to save us and came back with Chris Samba, Loic Remy, Jermane Jenas and Andros Townsend - the four of them cost us a mint, only two of them were any good, and we went down anyway regardless with results barely improving after they arrived. Why on earth would letting him do that again have yielded a different result?

Our transfers under successive managers with a handful of notable exceptions - Austin, Phillips, Dunne - have merely raised our wage bill and lumbered us with poor players that we then struggle to move on. Why the solution to this is 'buy more players' I don't quite understand.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:54 - Aug 3 with 5157 viewsdaveB

The last time people tried to run the club sensibly buying and scouting from lower divisions and selling our best players for a good price we all staged protests on the pitch and on South Africa Road calling for blood.

We always seem to want the opposite of what we have. Under Redknapp it was non stop moans about not playing youth team players, now we're seeing meltdowns as we might have to play a youth team player against Charlton. Poor Furlong written off as he had a bad 10 minutes against one of the best players in the world.

Playing youth teamers and doing things the old QPR way sounds great until we lose a few games then we'll want something different.

The chances of the fans staying patient enough for this new era to work are zero. You'll be seeing banners calling for big Sam by the end of September
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 17:08 - Aug 3 with 5105 viewsNeil_SI

I'm thoroughly looking forward to the season and have been pleased with the work we've done over the summer. It's a big job, it could go right or wrong, but I'm encouraged by what I've seen and excited by the unknown.

It's the unknown that puts me on the edge of my seat. I've not looked forward to a season as much as this one in years. It could quickly turn sour of course, but hopefully it won't.

It's about time our football club became about skills again, and not driven by money or greed. Never be afraid of hard work or where it can get you.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 17:15 - Aug 3 with 5078 viewsYorkRanger

I support the original post. My expectations this season are for one of rebuilding and hopefully a mid table finish. A decent cup run (unlikely) would be a nice distraction.

Lots of people seem to want their cake and eat it. The rebuilding to date seems sensible. Sure we are short in a couple of positions, but the mix of the squad looks decent with some exciting prospects signed as well.

Besides who can't get excited about Diakite being back

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 17:35 - Aug 3 with 5017 viewsthemodfather

i doubt ramsey has it imo....we seem to be "banking" as much as possible for any ffp fine?
low key signings.....too late to learn now....pre season means very little, of late we have had dire pre seasons and they mean little unless you get in a "cup" thing....
so we dont know our line up, formation or many of the new players..there's the issue, a few games and we'll soon know, hit the ground running...1st target 50pts...2nd?? 75pts and p/offs?? mid table, yeah if we can build on it. ssn reckon 17/24 championship sides have been prem lge so all would fancy themselves...
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 17:52 - Aug 3 with 4964 viewsstevec

I think I might cut out and frame this thread and come mid October, if we've taken another coshing and Ramsey out is echoing around the place, we'll see if you're all still singing from the same song sheet.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 17:53 - Aug 3 with 4952 viewsPhilmyRs

Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 16:48 - Aug 3 by Northernr

I don't think it is. He picked Furlong because we had nobody else through injuries and suspensions. It had been said for ages that in such situations we should pick a youth teamer and yet when it happened people said Karl Henry should have played there.

And yeh I think the whole "should have bought a striker in January" stuff is rubbish too. We had one, Vargas, who he never picked up front. The previous January we let Redknappgo out and add three strikers, and he brought in Doyle, Maiga and Will Keane. Charlie Austin was a great signing, other than that every time we went into the transfer market with Redknapp looking for a striker we bought a fcking dog. Two years previous he'd gone out in the January transfer market to save us and came back with Chris Samba, Loic Remy, Jermane Jenas and Andros Townsend - the four of them cost us a mint, only two of them were any good, and we went down anyway regardless with results barely improving after they arrived. Why on earth would letting him do that again have yielded a different result?

Our transfers under successive managers with a handful of notable exceptions - Austin, Phillips, Dunne - have merely raised our wage bill and lumbered us with poor players that we then struggle to move on. Why the solution to this is 'buy more players' I don't quite understand.

This post has been edited by an administrator

The ‘had no choice’ line regarding Furlong runs a bit thin with me. Against Hull I agree, in fact I supported the decision, but both Arsenal and Palace he had the option to move Clint inside and start with Ned at right back. Palace particularly, it was such a poor decision given his struggles against Arsenal to expose him at right back to one of the most difficult and tricky wingers (Bolaise). His subsequent decision to sub him at half time showed it was probably a mistake too. There’s a time and place to begin a so called transformation in style, approach and personnel. I didn’t think a relegation fight was it.

Because past Managers have wasted money, bought players for positions we didn’t particularly need, shouldn’t automatically mean if there’s a weakness up front it shouldn’t be addressed. I’d happily of missed out on Mutch and Niko for a decent striker — e.g. one player rather than 2. As a minimum in the top flight you need 3 striker options, we had 2 if you include Vargas, plus an unfit Zamora. It was a major problem, no doubt.
Trouble adjusting to the new Rangers on 18:09 - Aug 3 with 4911 viewsBushman

I could have told anyone that the shortermism of Hughes,Rednapp and Tony F buying there way out of trouble wasn't going to work,but to be fair I like most people was encouraged by last summer signings,although Caulker & Mutch didn't work out and Fer was injured or played out of position.

I think we have spent relatively little compared to the wages that have been paid out last year £75.3m?? plus signing on & transfer fees

And we have the Strling money, Philips Money, Austin money, Parachute Payments ?

£3.5m for the Swindon pair
£1m for Perch (might be a bit less)
£1m for Polter
£2.25 for Chery

£7.75m and Yes £75.3 million pounds in wages....Unbelievable

So yes what we have spent isn't relatively much to what we were spending

I don't see why we dont go for a Derry like experienced Captain and a blend of youth & experience.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2015 18:44]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024