| Tourism and Trains 14:43 - Jan 21 with 9745 views | Boston | Who the fck uses the word tube? I never did, my mates never did, it was always the Underground. I’m sure back in WW2 that may have been the common description for this means of travel but, like ‘bobbies on bicycles, two by two’, it’s ancient history. Back me up or re-educate, I’m forever telling North American tourists that the word ‘tooob’ went down with the Ark. [Post edited 21 Jan 2020 14:44]
|  |
| |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 14:47 - Jan 21 with 5668 views | Snipper | I work on the Underground, and I never call it the tube. I also hate the word customers. They’re passengers/punters. |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 14:54 - Jan 21 with 5638 views | dannyblue | West London born and bred but I take the choob. I can’t be relied upon though. Mum was American and I enjoy saying orEgano rather than oregARRRno. Prefer rocket to arugula though, while I’m on the subject. Why use Italian when you’ve got a perfectly good English word? |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 14:57 - Jan 21 with 5633 views | SimonJames | I stopped using the phrase "The Tube" when it became a telly programme. I say "passengers" ... or lemmings. |  |
| 100% of people who drink water will die. |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:25 - Jan 21 with 5576 views | Boston |
| Tourism and Trains on 14:54 - Jan 21 by dannyblue | West London born and bred but I take the choob. I can’t be relied upon though. Mum was American and I enjoy saying orEgano rather than oregARRRno. Prefer rocket to arugula though, while I’m on the subject. Why use Italian when you’ve got a perfectly good English word? |
Rocket = Roquette. The same as many common vegetables, the name depends whether your country / chefs / cookery book writers were more influenced by Italy or France. |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:27 - Jan 21 with 5562 views | smegma | I work at Shepherds Bush tube station. |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:31 - Jan 21 with 5546 views | smegma |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:25 - Jan 21 by Boston | Rocket = Roquette. The same as many common vegetables, the name depends whether your country / chefs / cookery book writers were more influenced by Italy or France. |
Do you eat zuchini?? |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:33 - Jan 21 with 5532 views | Mick_S | Coriander is NOT Cilantro. |  |
| Did I ever mention that I was in Minder? |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:35 - Jan 21 with 5515 views | Metallica_Hoop | I always call it the tube, though I'm aware parts are 'overground' and others 'Cut and shut'. I heard a kid as I cycled past last week (4/5 ageish) call the siren in the distance a 'neenaw' which made me smile as we haven't used them for about 15 years. [Post edited 21 Jan 2020 15:36]
|  |
| Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent |
|  | Login to get fewer ads
| Tourism and Trains on 15:45 - Jan 21 with 5472 views | BrianMcCarthy |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:35 - Jan 21 by Metallica_Hoop | I always call it the tube, though I'm aware parts are 'overground' and others 'Cut and shut'. I heard a kid as I cycled past last week (4/5 ageish) call the siren in the distance a 'neenaw' which made me smile as we haven't used them for about 15 years. [Post edited 21 Jan 2020 15:36]
|
In Dublin, I've heard kids call the ambulance the 'beebaw'. On-topic, I think I switch between saying 'underground' and 'choob'. |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:01 - Jan 21 with 5424 views | Konk | It’s always been the tube in our family. I also quite often hear/say ‘Tube’ in relation to stations e.g. “Come out of Archway tube, turn right...”. |  |
| Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:03 - Jan 21 with 5417 views | BlackCrowe | Tube |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:06 - Jan 21 with 5403 views | CroydonCaptJack | I have always called it the Tube to differentiate it from the other railways. No big deal is it? |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:11 - Jan 21 with 5376 views | Konk |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:06 - Jan 21 by CroydonCaptJack | I have always called it the Tube to differentiate it from the other railways. No big deal is it? |
Tube driver or Underground Train driver? |  |
| Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:13 - Jan 21 with 5371 views | Cliff | It's always been the tube in my family |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:21 - Jan 21 with 5341 views | dannyblue |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:25 - Jan 21 by Boston | Rocket = Roquette. The same as many common vegetables, the name depends whether your country / chefs / cookery book writers were more influenced by Italy or France. |
Ahah! Now I know. There must be an old English word somewhere too. Reminds me of a great article which explains why a true feminist should not use the word vagina (from latin for sheath, ie a word defined by the penis) but instead a wonderful old English word with its roots in protonindoeuropean words for creation. |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:22 - Jan 21 with 5340 views | Boston |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:11 - Jan 21 by Konk | Tube driver or Underground Train driver? |
I’m going Tube I’m going Underground |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:28 - Jan 21 with 5320 views | runningman75 | I would say tube though important to differentiate that for underground trains only and not for the London Overground which I also travel on regularly. |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:55 - Jan 21 with 5279 views | PlanetHonneywood |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:33 - Jan 21 by Mick_S | Coriander is NOT Cilantro. |
While we’re on the subject, let’s go back a step....it’s herbs with an ‘h’ not ‘erbs with an ‘h’!! After all: the Eagles didn’t sing about ‘otel California or Pharrell sing his ‘eart out to urge us to be ‘appy. |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 17:13 - Jan 21 with 5233 views | R_from_afar | A female friend comes from Bristol and is softly spoken, with quite a strong local accent. She was once heard to say "herbs" without pronouncing the "h" and since then, goes by the nickname 'Erbs. |  |
| "Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1." |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 17:21 - Jan 21 with 5211 views | LythamR |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:22 - Jan 21 by Boston | I’m going Tube I’m going Underground |
And i'm down in an underground station at Midnight! hmmm |  | |  |
| Tourism and Trains on 17:30 - Jan 21 with 5187 views | Nov77 | alan brazil says 'tube' quite a lot. |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 17:47 - Jan 21 with 5136 views | Boston |
| Tourism and Trains on 16:55 - Jan 21 by PlanetHonneywood | While we’re on the subject, let’s go back a step....it’s herbs with an ‘h’ not ‘erbs with an ‘h’!! After all: the Eagles didn’t sing about ‘otel California or Pharrell sing his ‘eart out to urge us to be ‘appy. |
Oooh, worra 'bout filleting (phill-it-in) fish, filet (fi-la) surely! |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 17:48 - Jan 21 with 5131 views | Boston |
| Tourism and Trains on 15:31 - Jan 21 by smegma | Do you eat zuchini?? |
Not if I can help it. |  |
|  |
| Tourism and Trains on 17:49 - Jan 21 with 5128 views | Benny_the_Ball | Tube or Underground, both are used interchangeably by myself, family and friends. Trains is used to describe overground rail services. |  | |  |
| |