Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton - hope he stays for years 21:25 - Dec 3 with 7462 viewsGreenbay

Of course we should vent our feelings about the manager and the team - especially when we play some great football and then throw it all away.
After all we have to get rid of our frustrations somewhere!
This is a great place to do it and exchange ideas.

But to dismiss Warburton (as some have suggested especially when we lose) at the end of the season is nuts - totally nuts.
Even if we were relegated (and it won't happen) I would keep him - absolutely.
The question is - will Warburton want to stay?
He doesn't need the money. He does it cos his heart is in it.
And most of his philosophy is great.

He hasn't got the cash to spend unlike many Premier League clubs and some in the Championship.
How many of those Premier managers would survive in the Championship. Very few.
Warburton has the task of trying to spin gold from straw.

Remember when he came on board - following the disasters of previous years?
We have had huge financial problems, trying to improve a training ground, and a falling down stadium.

He was given a massive long-term task which he accepted.
1. That is - as we all know only too well - buy or hire low and sell high.
2. At the same time develop a team that is competitive at this level.

Yes let us all dream about a top 6 finish. That's what we all want but let's be realistic.

Warburton has done a fantastic job.
In just over 18 months he's had to dismantle a team - cos the wages were too high, create another last year which included loans - and we did well - and this year another new team - mainly youngsters - and we actually own them.
And in 45 minute bursts (especially the last 3 games) we have produced some of the best football that QPR has delivered in decades.

At the same time the owners have finally bought (to be developed) a big training ground.

This is not a 2/3 year project - it's a project for 5-10 years.
If we have success earlier than that - then great.
Of course we suffer especially when we play well as we did against Brentford and then Bristol City - and then lose.
But this is professional sport - fine margins.

Improvement comes by small margins.
Look at the British cycling team - a laughing stock not so long ago.
But by small margins they improved and are now one of the best in the world.

Is Warburton the man to lead us?
I believe he is. It's a long-term mission.
As long as the dressing room backs him - and we see small marginal gains then I hope he stays with us for a very long time.
This year the gains have been good.
Goalkeeper, right-back and left-back - all new (Dieng, Kakay, Hamaleinen) and progressing. Add Dickie.
We're not there yet - but we are on the right track.
Chair, Willock, BOS (until he goes) along with Carroll.
And I'm looking forward to seeing Bettache.
Then Dykes - he'll get there but give him time.
Bonne I hope and young Kelman.

We've got a lot to look forward too. And yes it's going to be a very bumpy ride, very frustrating but what we all saw in the last 3 games and in spells earlier this season was exciting and riveting.

Let's back Warburton and the team which hopefully is going to develop into a terrific side with one or two additions.

I rest my case.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 21:58 - Dec 3 with 4185 viewsParkRoyalR

Great post - lots of positives this season too for me,

Borehamwood last season thought there was no way we were staying up but he played the market very well,

Losing Eze and his superb game management was a huge loss this year,

Losing Amos + Manning this year unexpectedly has held us back but add a defensive minded Left Back and give Bettache some game time and we're not far off imo.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 22:08 - Dec 3 with 4160 viewsT_Block

Agree.Team and manager above all need support

Keep buying young-selling high.

Make our fans reactions to results the positive exception to the extent others notice
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 22:43 - Dec 3 with 4094 viewshook_hoops

Excellent post, well said.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 23:58 - Dec 3 with 3980 viewsgigiisourgod

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 22:43 - Dec 3 by hook_hoops

Excellent post, well said.

Agreed, obviously we do not want to turn into the Brentford justice league mentality, but we are currently 17th, I think if Warburton gets us finishing 16th come May (which I am hopeful he will) think it is another outstanding season. The bigger picture is the squad is getting younger, the recruitment is getting better, the team is becoming more experienced and we are finally heading back in the right decision. The levels of damage done in the last 5/8 years this was never going to be a quick turnaround. I know there are frustrations, often repeated frustrations and of course there are areas that should be criticised which have been expressed well, but surely the bigger picture is (albeit relatively) rosy.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 01:28 - Dec 4 with 3913 viewstimcocking

Thus far, he's been two thirds excellent manager one third somebody who seems to have never actually played the game himself.

Not a single part of me has thought we should be getting rid though. People just seem to have unrealistic expectations. We've never gone a season, to my memory, when there haven't been people calling for our manager's head, whoever it is and however we're doing.

Ps He still owes Clive an apology over that derogatory remark, which was uncalled for. Set pieces Mark; set pieces.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 07:29 - Dec 4 with 3805 viewscaliforniahoop

I like
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 08:13 - Dec 4 with 3731 viewsDieByYourSide

Don’t disagree with OP but 16th would not be an “outstanding” season, come on. Reminder we’ve spent £8m this Summer.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 08:40 - Dec 4 with 3662 views2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah we needed another thread...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 08:54 - Dec 4 with 3666 viewsnix

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 08:13 - Dec 4 by DieByYourSide

Don’t disagree with OP but 16th would not be an “outstanding” season, come on. Reminder we’ve spent £8m this Summer.

We have but we've also lost £16 million's worth. And we all know that the £8 million was spent on players that have potential for this division and possibly the one above, in my view, in terms of Willock at least and maybe Dykes, rather than being the finished article right now. We've also lost some experience in Hall, Rangel and Pugh, although I think it was the right decision to let them go. Additionally, we've had a lot of new players combined with almost zero time on the training pitch, which means it's much harder to gel them together.

And we've been really unlucky to lose Amos so early in the season. He was just becoming the player we needed: closing down space, pace and a good tackler, as well as having the vision to move and ability to move the ball quickly. Unfortunately we still have a thin squad and Cameron, Carroll and Ball just have more deficiencies than Amos: Carroll is just not as physical, and doesn't tackle plus he has a tendency to move the ball slowly at times, although can pick out a lovely pass; Ball doesn't tackle as much, has less pace and doesn't always have the execution creatively; Cameron would be perfect apart from his age. I'd love to see Mass in this team, I think we'd improve immensely with his ability to tackle, close down space and make himself available.

It just feels like if we could have a bit of luck, so there wasn't someone standing in that exact spot to clear it off the line with the goalie beaten, or some better reffing decisions, we could have a couple of decent wins which would give us a bit of confidence. We're still a tiny bit tentative at times going forward: passing when we should shoot, not gambling when the cross is launched, which I think changes in a confident team.

I don't think we're at the point where we should be calling for Mark's head. He has had a really challenging couple of seasons, bringing in so many new players, losing Ebs and Amos this season, dealing with the implications of Covid in terms of no fans and so little time on the training pitch. I know that affects all teams but more in a less settled and experienced squad.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 9:43]
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 09:45 - Dec 4 with 3581 viewsfrancisbowles

So Greenbay.

Bearing in mind that he is out of contract at the end of the season and the club will need to start planning for then......

Do you think the club should offer him a new contract at Christmas, even if results don't pick up before then?
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:31 - Dec 4 with 3531 viewsTheChef

Well I certainly hope he stays for a while, at least another couple of seasons.

But he'll ultimately get judged on results, just like any other employee.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 10:35 - Dec 4 with 3523 viewsmcqpr10

I like warbs. Been so frustrating the last two games seeing us play well and get nothing. Lots to like about our play but lots to improve. But let's remember the budget he's working with. We all can see we need a leader at the back and more athleticism and leadership in centre mid but these players cost money! As does a wells or hughil up top.

That said, can we please get a couple of players who head the ball away!
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:35 - Dec 4 with 3423 viewsGreenbay

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 09:45 - Dec 4 by francisbowles

So Greenbay.

Bearing in mind that he is out of contract at the end of the season and the club will need to start planning for then......

Do you think the club should offer him a new contract at Christmas, even if results don't pick up before then?

Absolutely Francis.
He should be given a 2 and a half year extended contract.

In that way he feels comfortable - not because of the money as he doesn't need it - but getting a thumbs up from the Board shows confidence in him.
If someone backs you/us - don't we all feel better?
The players then know that he's here to stay and continue to play for him as they do now.

What worries me is that he won't sign.
However I think he will.
He's a man on a mission and wants to see the 'rewards' (as he often says).

Remember Alex Ferguson. The Man Utd. Board showed their confidence in him and look what happened after a few years.

OK we're a Championship team but watching the side develop (by small margins as I said in the original post), see the training facilities improve at our new place and finally get a decent stadium - well isn't that exciting?

Of course there's going to be frustrations - daft defeats, daft draws - but if you're using a graph and we see those small marginal improvements - and we are all committed including us fans (along with our inevitable moans and groans as we do on here) it will all be worth it.

Remember the target - a financially stable club, a decent stadium, a team we all enjoy watching (40 minutes per game at the moment) and one day playing the big boys even if we become a yo-yo club between the Premier and the Championship.
In other words no daft buying as we did before.

Yes let's complain on this website - got to proverbially kick the cat when things go wrong. We all need an outlet for our frustration.
But let's back Warburton and his team.
I'm very optimistic.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:46 - Dec 4 with 3400 viewscpgerber

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:35 - Dec 4 by Greenbay

Absolutely Francis.

In that way he feels comfortable - not because of the money as he doesn't need it - but getting a thumbs up from the Board shows confidence in him.
The players then know that he's here to stay and continue to play for him as they do now.

However I think he will.

Remember Alex Ferguson. The Man Utd. Board showed their confidence in him and look what happened after a few years.

OK we're a Championship team but watching the side develop (by small margins as I said in the original post), see the training facilities improve at our new place and finally get a decent stadium - well isn't that exciting?

Of course there's going to be frustrations - daft defeats, daft draws - but if you're using a graph and we see those small marginal improvements - and we are all committed including us fans (along with our inevitable moans and groans as we do on here) it will all be worth it.

Remember the target - a financially stable club, a decent stadium, a team we all enjoy watching (40 minutes per game at the moment) and one day playing the big boys even if we become a yo-yo club between the Premier and the Championship.

Yes let's complain on this website - got to proverbially kick the cat when things go wrong. We all need an outlet for our frustration.
I'm very optimistic.

Any manager not signing a new contract is bonkers. Why walk away with nothing when you can get a nice golden handshake if eventually you are fired?

Unless of course you absolutely hate the job, which I don't think applies to Warbs.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 12:44 - Dec 4 with 3313 viewsgigiisourgod

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 08:13 - Dec 4 by DieByYourSide

We have also recouped 20M, lost Hugill and Wells (both on prem money/or certainly more than what we are currently paying), ‘sold’ comfortably the best LB at the club and would be amazed if BOS is still playing for us in Feb (as a fully committed QPR player). It’s a transitional period and we have to be patient. Yes, there is an argument Manning should still be at the club but I can’t disagree with the standards Warburton is trying to instil (bigger picture again). ‘Respect the best interests of the club, if you don’t then f**k off, we will work with someone that wants to benefit QPR’.

He has taken over a bag of shit (no disrespect to Holloway who I also thought did a great job in trying circumstances) and has us not a million miles away from being a Competitive team at this level who are a pleasure to watch (as well as frustrating as fu*k).

Agreed, that feel Luongo would be useful in this squad. Think Clive’s interview last season was very telling when Luongo wasn’t involved and Clive asked why, and it transpires that basically Luongo had to go, believe due to wages? Now, at first, I thought this was frustrating, another manager coming in not knowing the players at the club as well as the fans, it transpires later in the interview that Warburton had tried to sign Luongo once or maybe twice before at previous clubs. The way Warburton kept his council, compared to managers in the past, think is a good example of the restrictions Warburton is under and how his mentality of getting on with it and doing what is best for the club has been first class. Would love to see him given another 2/3 years and see where he can take us. Would also love to see us start defending properly, like everyone else...
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 13:04 - Dec 4 with 3273 viewsloneranger1

So well put.... great post, thanks for lifting the spirits! Let's hope we can play some good stuff and get a result at Huddersfield this weekend as the club keeps moving in the right direction
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:42 - Dec 4 with 3204 viewsWestbourneR

I really like Warburton and I would definitely not get rid of him now or for a long time in the future. The big picture benefits of his as manager is too beneficial for the club - it's what he offers in the round that really matters at our stage. Brings through players, develops players, works properly within the budget - he's invested in building up the club.

That said, tactically, managers very rarely change their spots and resolve built in definicienies in how they approach the game.

Warbs is no exception, he will always be tactically flawed. Warbs issue is that his teams will always play nice football but be soft and easy to beat. We seem the same pattern pretty much twice a week and I dare say we will if he's here in 5 years time.

All managers, even the best eg. Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho, have tactical identity that rarely shifts even if I can harm success.

So for me, Warbs is brilliant but don't expect us to ever become grizzled and hard to beat ever under his tenure. We'll always be this way - but hopefully with steadily better players.

One thing I do have to question is can he motivate at half time? He's not the kind of manager who strikes me as having a great feel for energising words. He's a bit... square, serious.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:54 - Dec 4 with 3186 viewsTheChef

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:46 - Dec 4 by cpgerber

Any manager not signing a new contract is bonkers. Why walk away with nothing when you can get a nice golden handshake if eventually you are fired?

Unless of course you absolutely hate the job, which I don't think applies to Warbs.

Or he's got something else better lined up.

But this is definitely a project (sorry) which I think he'd want to see through. Unless he gets to the stage that we're still seeing the same issues and feels he can't do anything more to improve things. Although we'd probably be in the bottom three by then.

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:54 - Dec 4 with 3183 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 11:35 - Dec 4 by Greenbay

Absolutely Francis.

However I think he will.

I'm very optimistic.

I'm with you in principle but I don't see how they could offer him two years on top of his current contract, now. What happens if the rest of the season is terrible and we go south?

They would be stuck with him on a two year deal or have to pay two years comp to get rid.

I would think a one year extension, if things are not too bad at the beginning of January with an option to add another in the summer, provided we finish the season in a reasonable manner and stay in this division. That way we achieve almost everything that you mention but with less risk.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:59 - Dec 4 with 3169 viewsTheChef

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 14:54 - Dec 4 by francisbowles

I'm with you in principle but I don't see how they could offer him two years on top of his current contract, now. What happens if the rest of the season is terrible and we go south?

They would be stuck with him on a two year deal or have to pay two years comp to get rid.

I would think a one year extension, if things are not too bad at the beginning of January with an option to add another in the summer, provided we finish the season in a reasonable manner and stay in this division. That way we achieve almost everything that you mention but with less risk.

I thought a lot of managers worked on one year rolling contracts?

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 15:07 - Dec 4 with 3151 viewsloftboy

Even when losing 9/10 times we are playing pretty good football, MW has a plan and is still in its early stages, he is working under extreme financial controls compared with most other sides, I’d give him two more years for stability and to actually see if he succeeds.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 15:45 - Dec 4 with 3095 viewsPinnerPaul

Probably one for Clive who has this sort of stuff at his finger tips, but didn't Alan Pardew get some ridiculous contract from Newcastle - 8 years or something equally silly springs to mind - wonder how much he got when he left?
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 16:12 - Dec 4 with 3052 viewsbakerloo8

I like Warburton and think he's doing a decent job in trying circumstances. But this is a results game and if we're in danger of going down or close to he will probably have to go.
We all can see what he brings to the table, great at bringing through and improving players and we are very pleasing on the eye but he and we need to work on our deficiencies, to which we have plenty.
Warburton - hope he stays for years on 16:53 - Dec 4 with 2998 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 15:45 - Dec 4 by PinnerPaul

Probably one for Clive who has this sort of stuff at his finger tips, but didn't Alan Pardew get some ridiculous contract from Newcastle - 8 years or something equally silly springs to mind - wonder how much he got when he left?

He did.

And they gave Keegan a 10-yr deal.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 16:59 - Dec 4 with 2991 viewsgolborne

Warburton - hope he stays for years on 16:12 - Dec 4 by bakerloo8

I like Warburton and think he's doing a decent job in trying circumstances. But this is a results game and if we're in danger of going down or close to he will probably have to go.
We all can see what he brings to the table, great at bringing through and improving players and we are very pleasing on the eye but he and we need to work on our deficiencies, to which we have plenty.

But many clubs do. Do you think the BC fans were that enamoured in the first half the other night. I think many fans are falling into Sky Sports cliche world around our defence. It's far from perfect, but it's miles better and more solid than last season. Those gob8hites have penalties included in their set piece stats..Coventry was disastrous, Cardiff 2nd half not great, one individual mistake against Watford and a couple of gone on me holidays up the pitch for Wallace, but that was rectified at halftime. Preston was 2 pens. Arguably mistakes, but they troubled us little in open play. Forest were dangerous, but have one of the strongest frontlines in the league, it wasn't down to mistakes. The pen mistake by Dickie against Barnsley finished that game, so you can't count that as a disastrous defensive performance. Blackburn outplayed us all over the pitch (how dare somebody do that..) pure and simple. Last season, every time we were attacked, every time we had a set piece against us my heart sank. I don't get that feeling this season at all. Maybe against Cov only.
If we went down, and we won't, I'd hand him the job of getting us back up. Why do we deserve a new manager, why would I want some knuckle dragger to appease the people on here who want results over the beautiful game. They should take a look at their lives and really question whether they can hack being the supporter of a small club, one who many fans stick with because for the majority of the last 50 years we've tried to play the game the right way. I'm bored of the childish negativity without any real balance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024