Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan 22:15 - Jan 18 with 3799 viewsMyke

August 23rd 1975. When I saw that performance (I presume it was MOTD), I was hooked. I know for some of you it is a right of passage since you were born, or simply geography. But what are your earliest memories?
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 22:49 - Jan 18 with 2057 viewsjeffranger

Started watching about 1958 & me dad taking me, and been hooked ever since, remember seeing Arthur Longbottom scoring near the halfway line but can’t remember year but roundabout 58/60ish, if anyone remembers please let me know
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 22:53 - Jan 18 with 2048 viewsdixiedean

My parents were from Latimer Road area and actually met at Rangers. Dad took me to my first game in 66/67 season. It’s in the blood
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 22:58 - Jan 18 with 2031 viewsQPR_John

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 22:49 - Jan 18 by jeffranger

Started watching about 1958 & me dad taking me, and been hooked ever since, remember seeing Arthur Longbottom scoring near the halfway line but can’t remember year but roundabout 58/60ish, if anyone remembers please let me know

Arthur Longbottom now there's a name from the past. Like you it must have been the late fifties when I first started going but for no other reason than the ground was on the White City Estate. Remember playing on the grass bank at the back of the SAR terrace more than watching the game. Most of my mates drifted off to the more fashionable clubs but I stayed for some reason. Got my first season ticket in the new SAR stand and have had one ever since
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 22:58 - Jan 18 with 2032 viewsSuperhoop83

QPR 3 Derby County 0 was my first match in February 1982.

I'd been a fan since early 1978 as a friend supported them. I quickly became hooked and he promptly emigrated to New Zealand!

The earliest result I can recall was a 3-0 win at Newcastle - I was clearly a glory hunter.

Suffering since 1978.

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:06 - Jan 18 with 2014 viewscharmr

Dad took me aged 10 Derby home facup 1970, hooked.

Not even sure I even knew who QPR were, it was all Leeds, ch#%*#a and West Ham.

Bonded with my Dad, met friends I still speak to and got to see parts of the country I never would have with great days out. Seen so much live football in every type of ground and seen great footballers. Brilliant life experiences.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 23:07]
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:12 - Jan 18 with 1995 viewsMyke

Common denominator seems to be Derby so far!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:17 - Jan 18 with 1984 viewsjeffranger

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 22:58 - Jan 18 by QPR_John

Arthur Longbottom now there's a name from the past. Like you it must have been the late fifties when I first started going but for no other reason than the ground was on the White City Estate. Remember playing on the grass bank at the back of the SAR terrace more than watching the game. Most of my mates drifted off to the more fashionable clubs but I stayed for some reason. Got my first season ticket in the new SAR stand and have had one ever since

Yep the muddy grass bank, lived on scrubs lane & went to Christopher Wren School
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:22 - Jan 18 with 1979 viewsaston_hoop

My Dad told me I supported QPR. I didnt know there was a choice. This was the first goal I ever saw 'in person' at the age of 6. I remember every second of that day.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 00:12 - Jan 19 with 1934 viewsMyke

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:22 - Jan 18 by aston_hoop

My Dad told me I supported QPR. I didnt know there was a choice. This was the first goal I ever saw 'in person' at the age of 6. I remember every second of that day.

Continuing the Derby County theme. My son is adopted from Russia. A fairly protracted affair during which my GP was heavily involved. Eventually, got him home safely and when we went for his first check-up, my GP told me jokingly that if I forced my son to be a QPR fan he would report me to Social Services! And he is a Derby County fan! Now 16 years later, my lad and his twin boys play on the same local team, not a QPR or Derby fan between them.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 00:20 - Jan 19 with 1929 viewsstowmarketrange

My mum asked her mate at work if her husband would take me to a football match,and he happened to have a season ticket in South Africa Rd.October 1970 was my first game,but I don’t remember who it was against.
No ties to any club as my dad only ever talked about money ruining football and he hadn’t been to a game since the 50’s,and I think that was Fulham,but seeing as he lived just over the north side of Wandsworth bridge it could’ve been the scum.
Living in Roehampton meant all 3 teams were easily reachable by bus,so I guess I was just lucky that I chose QPR.Especially so in the 70’s and 80’s when it was great to see us beat all the top teams,and Chelshite got relegated 3 times.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 08:11 - Jan 19 with 1818 viewsdutch

Dad from Latimer Road, mum from White City. My father took me first time in 1966 , no idea who we were playing just remember walking round the ground, eating monkey nuts and dad liking Mark Lazarus. Then he died a couple of months later, aged just 41, so even though we now lived on the Watling Estate I stayed with QPR.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 08:32 - Jan 19 with 1787 viewsQPROslo

I moved into the area, Barlby Road, and went to my 1st game at Loftus Road I think, 16 August 75. First game of the season and we outplayed and beat Pool 2-0. It has never got better than that 1st season!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 08:51 - Jan 19 with 1761 viewsericgen34

I moved to Kensal rise from France in 1987. I fancied going to see one of the famous english football games. The local newsagent at the crossroad of Clifford Gardens/Chamberlayne Road told me 'here is QPR and I dont even consider any other team'. First trip to Loftus road - I dont remember which game - was fantastic. Great atmosphere, great game, cool shirt and one of my heroes, Mick Jones, was there. I was hooked
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 09:01 - Jan 19 with 1741 viewsozexile

Dad from East Acton so I had no choice. He use to go after the war. First game 14th Feb 1981. 1-1 v Notts County. Don't remember much other than Burridge swinging on the crossbar.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 09:02 - Jan 19 with 1741 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Born in Colindale. My Dad and all his friends were Rangers season ticket holders. My first game was apparently a 4-0 win over Bolton in '71 with Rodney scoring two. I wasn't even a year old. I don't think I was brought regularly for another few years.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 09:11 - Jan 19 with 1732 viewsstevec

Middlesbrough at LR 1966. Up the muddy bank on SAR, coaxed down the steps, pushed and pushing through the crowd to the front, up on a box and there in front of me, retrieving a ball in the kickabout, Rodney Marsh standing ten feet tall. Magic.

Properly hooked at an Easter game v Cardiff, the Morgan twins running riot, remember being crushed and starring sideways at a huge equally packed School end and the marvel this game brings to grown adults.

Great to see someone hooked at the Derby cup game, beating a team with Dave Mackay in it, that’s special.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 09:44 - Jan 19 with 1689 viewshantssi

Would be late ‘60’s I think, family holiday to Dawlish, we were playing Torquay away in a pre-season friendly. My dad (season ticket in F Block, long since passed) thinks it was Phil Parkes first game for us.
Didn’t have any choice he was from a supporter as was his dad, I’ve inflicted it on my son although my daughter could not be less interested!
At Wembley in 2014 after an hour I said to him “welcome to the club”, the rest they say is history!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 10:06 - Jan 19 with 1675 viewsterryb

The first time I saw Rangers was the television highlights of the 4-1 league cup semi final at Brum. In the flesh was a 0-0 draw at Brisbane Road shortly after the West Brom match.

At that time I was a 14 year old who mixed watching Chesham United with going to various first division games in London. Liverpool happened to be my favourite league club at the time, but I must have had an inclination about my future loyalties as I never travelled on the District Line to south west London!

At home to Norwich in August 1967 was my first time at The Bush & it was the following years relegation that got me hooked!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 10:16 - Jan 19 with 1662 viewssoops

It was in the blood. I remember crying on my 6th birthday in 1973 cos my Dad was taking my brother to a game but I had to stay home and have a party 😆
We then moved to Ireland so I didn’t see my first game til we moved back 3 years later. First game of the 76/77 season I think, home to Everton. I was so excited I nearly fainted. Hardly saw a thing through the throng on the Loft, we lost 4-0 and missed a penalty. Just about sums up the subsequent 45 years 😄
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan (n/t) on 10:41 - Jan 19 with 1634 viewsqueensparker

[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 10:42]
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 10:43 - Jan 19 with 1627 viewsqueensparker

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 08:51 - Jan 19 by ericgen34

I moved to Kensal rise from France in 1987. I fancied going to see one of the famous english football games. The local newsagent at the crossroad of Clifford Gardens/Chamberlayne Road told me 'here is QPR and I dont even consider any other team'. First trip to Loftus road - I dont remember which game - was fantastic. Great atmosphere, great game, cool shirt and one of my heroes, Mick Jones, was there. I was hooked

That newsagent is still there mate, go there all the time!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:09 - Jan 19 with 1598 viewsericgen34

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 10:43 - Jan 19 by queensparker

That newsagent is still there mate, go there all the time!

Ah nice! Surely not same guy though? We used to call him 'owright mate' as it was his usual greeting :-)
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:47 - Jan 19 with 1565 viewshantssi

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 09:02 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Born in Colindale. My Dad and all his friends were Rangers season ticket holders. My first game was apparently a 4-0 win over Bolton in '71 with Rodney scoring two. I wasn't even a year old. I don't think I was brought regularly for another few years.

Not sure you’d recognise Colindale now Bri.
I got back there every couple of months to see mum and appears to be more high rises every time!
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:47 - Jan 19 with 1565 viewsMrSheen

My Dad had no interest in football as he'd never played it in Tipperary, but I was football potty from when I could walk. An uncle on my Mum's side was/is a die-hard fan and took me to Rangers - Oxford United in February 1970, before my sixth birthday. I cried when I heard Rodney Marsh wasn't playing and we lost 2-1. Unfortunately, it was before I got my first pair of specs and I was so short-sighted I couldn't see more than a few rows ahead, and nothing at all on the pitch!

Apart from a trip with another now ex-uncle to see a 2-0 win over Fulham in 1973, that was it for nearly a decade as I drifted off to become a Leeds glory-hunter at the worst possible time. It wasn't until I started going with school-friends after relegation in 1979 that I really became hooked, though it was almost instant. My first game as an independent visitor was a 1-1 draw with Wolves in the League Cup. As I went to school in Ealing I might have become a Brentford fan instead, but it was an hour from Dollis Hill to LR and two hours to Griffin Park.
First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 11:52 - Jan 19 with 1549 viewshantssi

First time watching QPR / Reason why you became a fan on 23:22 - Jan 18 by aston_hoop

Bloody hell, was that Peacock bursting down the left?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024