Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell Bootham Crescent 08:51 - Jan 22 with 2182 viewshook_hoops

Lovely little video of memories of Bootham Crescent, York City's old ground. A nice glimpse of Johnny Byrne. Reminds me of how sad I'll be when we eventually have to leave Loftus Road.

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 09:06 - Jan 22 with 2140 viewsNorthernr

Made an effort to get this one ticked off a couple of seasons ago, saw them lose at home to Oxford. It was v old school.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 09:09 - Jan 22 with 2135 views2Thomas2Bowles

Their new ground is not too dissimilar

Just got to make new memories.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 09:14 - Jan 22 with 2121 viewsKonk

York was one of my favourite away days. Loads of good pubs, easy walking distance from the City centre and the train station, friendly fans. After all they've been through, I guess we have to be grateful they have a club to support, but it's very sad seeing yet another club leave their inner-city home for an out-of-town location. Good luck York.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 09:43 - Jan 22 with 2062 viewsterryb

Thank you.

That was a beatiful tribute.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 09:58 - Jan 22 with 2032 viewsmikeygunn

Went a couple of times. York v Carlisle and York v Kettering. The coldest ground I’ve ever been to! But one with character, as others have said, loads of good pubs. Now I’m in Pickering and my work base is just near by, I’ll have no excuses not to visit the new one!
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 10:08 - Jan 22 with 2021 viewsstevec

That’s nice.

Is John Byrne in our hall of fame yet? If Clive can drag himself away from Come Dine with me perhaps he’ll run us a list.

* hoping he hasn’t got a finger emoji
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 10:57 - Jan 22 with 1963 viewsstowmarketrange

I went there for a game against Halifax Town in the 90’s.Nice ground and as konk said,lots of decent pubs around.And York is a lovely city when it’s not flooded.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:12 - Jan 22 with 1934 viewsEastR

Doesn't matter which club you support, that tribute folks is why we all love football

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:17 - Jan 22 with 1923 viewsBoston

York on the move...well they are the Nomads.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:18 - Jan 22 with 1921 viewsqprxtc

Our last trip up there:

I was too young to do this one on a school night. I never got to go there as my rule is new grounds are only counted if Rangers play there and it’s a proper fixture. Friendlies don’t count.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:22 - Jan 22 with 1910 viewsNorthernr

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 10:57 - Jan 22 by stowmarketrange

I went there for a game against Halifax Town in the 90’s.Nice ground and as konk said,lots of decent pubs around.And York is a lovely city when it’s not flooded.

One of my favourite places in the UK. Can get a bit hairy Saturday nights when half the north east seems to decamp there but a beutiful city with great pubs.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:46 - Jan 22 with 1859 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Thanks for sharing.
A beautiful tribute.
Also enjoyed the highlights of our win there in 1984 just before we signed John Byrne who played well against us.
Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to watch us play there as I was too young to go up north in 1984.

Why did they have to move grounds?
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:50 - Jan 22 with 1853 viewsqueensparker

I went to a Brentford away game there in 1992 with some of my Brentford mates as was living in Leeds at the time. We were pretty much the only away fans.

Was a great day, a lovely place York. The toilets in the away end were an open air enclosure with a concrete wall/ditch you pissed up against in full view of the terrace. Old school.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 12:04 - Jan 22 with 1827 viewsKonk

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:50 - Jan 22 by queensparker

I went to a Brentford away game there in 1992 with some of my Brentford mates as was living in Leeds at the time. We were pretty much the only away fans.

Was a great day, a lovely place York. The toilets in the away end were an open air enclosure with a concrete wall/ditch you pissed up against in full view of the terrace. Old school.

I saw a very drunk bloke put his tray of chips down on the floor between his feet and then have a piss against that wall/into the trough. Nice. It's one of those away days where everyone seems to get very pi ssed.

As others have said, York is a great city. We had a client in York, and used to love it midweek when it was a lot quieter. The Ouse is a bit of a bast ard - loads of times our client got flooded/almost flooded, and we used to have to do all their work for them. Somewhere I always recommend to overseas visitors.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 12:26 - Jan 22 with 1785 viewsToast_R

Always a sad moment when a stadium is closed. All that energy over the years from thousands of people. So many emotions and so many memories.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 13:15 - Jan 22 with 1721 viewsThe_Beast1976

Leave Loft Road? Never!

You meet very fans who prefer their club's new ground to their old ground. Such a sad state of affairs. Progress is shite, particularly so when it's solely in the same of money
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 13:17 - Jan 22 with 1713 viewsSheffieldHoop

[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 15:49]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 13:27 - Jan 22 with 1706 viewsNorthernr

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 13:17 - Jan 22 by SheffieldHoop

[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 15:49]

The only thing I would say about the sponsorship is at least Kit Kat's were created in and manufactured in York. Probably not any more, like everything else, but it was at least local.

This is the sort of cup tie we never get any more. What an absolutely belting Saturday Third Round day out that would be.

The back of the main stand has a unique look, sort of a wooden holiday chalet feel to it.

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 15:34 - Jan 22 with 1586 viewsgazza1

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:18 - Jan 22 by qprxtc

Our last trip up there:

I was too young to do this one on a school night. I never got to go there as my rule is new grounds are only counted if Rangers play there and it’s a proper fixture. Friendlies don’t count.

Me too, got to be there when the rangers are there or it doesn't count, never been there, I was playing at the time so didn't get to most games during that era.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 17:42 - Jan 22 with 1518 viewsSonofNorfolt

The good thing about going there in '84 is that we managed to get the last train back to Kings Cross and still get the tube home.

RE; Rules of watching. Mel's Official FIFA Groundhopping Ones.

Whilst preferable watching one's own team it is NOT essential as you'll never get to do 'em all otherwise.
As long as you've seen some of the game from inside the stadium, it counts.
Personally, Brentford, Harrogate and Wimbledon evade me for now but I have been to every other ground that has held league football at some stage and are still in use.
These can be places like Stalybridge Celtic's excellent Bower Fold that saw league football in the 1920's.
These are easy, however doing all the German, Italian, and Spanish ones becomes a bit of a bug ger.
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 18:14 - Jan 22 with 1475 viewsBoston

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 09:09 - Jan 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Their new ground is not too dissimilar

Just got to make new memories.

What’s the big black box end all about?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 18:19 - Jan 22 with 1467 views2Thomas2Bowles

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 18:14 - Jan 22 by Boston

What’s the big black box end all about?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 14:10 - Jan 23 with 1279 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 11:18 - Jan 22 by qprxtc

Our last trip up there:

Jesus, Fereday was quick wasn't he!
Farewell Bootham Crescent on 14:25 - Jan 23 with 1253 viewsThe_Beast1976

Farewell Bootham Crescent on 14:10 - Jan 23 by dodge_stoke_r

Jesus, Fereday was quick wasn't he!

Couldn't he run 100m in 11 secs or something like that?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024