Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Promotion Ambition 15:54 - Jun 3 with 6680 viewsMyke

While we are all getting excited about next season and feel we have a genuine shout at the play-offs at least, what happens if we actually get promoted? We realistically have three players who may survive in the prem - Dieng, Dickie and Chair - so basically we are left with two options: Either we abandon all we have achieved and throw silly money at established premier league players who have no interest in anything except the money (sound familiar)? Or, we can do a Norwich and endure a miserable season in the top flight, in the hopes that we will bounce straight back up again the following season? Neither is a particularly pleasant scenario - is there an in between somewhere, where getting back to the prem may actually be enjoyable>?
Promotion Ambition on 15:55 - Jun 3 with 3263 viewstoboboly

I will take 7th this year and an FA Cup final win.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Promotion Ambition on 16:01 - Jun 3 with 3243 viewsJuzzie

If we were ever to go up in the foreseeable future we'd have to just take the beatings, come down, strengthen the squad, try again. Keep doing that until we have a squad ready to sustainably stay up and not just 17th each year.

Biggest hurdle is our ground. Depending on what happens with FFP, we cannot survive at LR, sadly.
Promotion Ambition on 16:03 - Jun 3 with 3223 viewsDorse

I'd settle for promotion and a decent kit for the Prem rather than the striped Bretton-style abomination foisted on us by the slobbering oaves* from Nike last time.

* Oaves? Oafs? Whatever.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Promotion Ambition on 16:03 - Jun 3 with 3223 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If we did get promoted I think you'd have to argue that we had more than three players good enough for the step up.

Either way, I don't see it right now. Johansen joining would put us in with a shout, even then we'd probably need a couple of more additions and the fitness record as last year.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Promotion Ambition on 16:05 - Jun 3 with 3206 viewsdavman

I'd love our lot to romp the Championship, but then decline to be promoted.

Clearly, not gonna happen, so the alternative is to romp this league and then stick with the same squad and let whatever will be, be. I have always wondered how we'd have fared if we stuck with the 2010-1 team instead of Tony's supermarket sweep and subsequent Warnock sacking...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Promotion Ambition on 16:10 - Jun 3 with 3161 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Same as Davman.

Spend fck all, have a good time at away days, enjoy the occasional win, come back down with enough dosh to pay for the training ground / stadium then repeat.

My only remaining QPR bucket list item is to see them play away in Europe.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 16:12]
Promotion Ambition on 16:15 - Jun 3 with 3135 viewsDannytheR

Feels a bit early to be deciding which of our players won't cut it in the Premiership the season after next...

(That said, you could argue our whole experience with Warnock was that you break up newly promoted teams for supposed upgrades at your peril.)
Promotion Ambition on 16:29 - Jun 3 with 3074 viewsLazyFan

At the moment IMHO I only see Dieng and Willock as Prem class. JoJo if we sign him may be in that category. Chair still needs to improve, he might make it. Dickie needs more pace to make it, he might improve too.

From a Championship perspective, we have progressed immensely since the team was ripped up and started anew.

Assuming we keep all our players and get JoJo, a RB and a LB in, I think we should consider ourselves serious challengers for 6th position. Warbs did say he expects 2-3 more in after Chazza. I trust Evil Les and Darth Hoos to work their magic.

zzzzzzzzzz

Login to get fewer ads

Promotion Ambition on 16:50 - Jun 3 with 2994 viewsMyke

Promotion Ambition on 16:03 - Jun 3 by BrianMcCarthy

If we did get promoted I think you'd have to argue that we had more than three players good enough for the step up.

Either way, I don't see it right now. Johansen joining would put us in with a shout, even then we'd probably need a couple of more additions and the fitness record as last year.

Who else Brian? - Willock has the potential to be as good as his bro possibly. Jo jo, much lauded on here has been rejected (twice) by Fulham as a prem player. Chaz obviously can't cut it at that level anymore.
Promotion Ambition on 16:53 - Jun 3 with 2984 viewsderbyhoop

If, and its a mighty big IF, we manage to get promoted at the end of next season, we'd obviously have quite a few players capable of playing in the PL.
As well as the 3 mentioned in the OP, I'd add Field, Willock and Dykes. On the basis of what we saw this year and development potential.
The ones you'd think wouldn't be good enough are the older generation - Wallace, Adomah and Austin.

For me, I'd look at strengthening 2 or 3 positions; accept that we are highly likely to come straight back down; but use the 2/3 we brought in and use parachute money to add a couple more better than what we'd have. If it's a Norwich strategy, so what!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Promotion Ambition on 16:56 - Jun 3 with 2966 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It’s not going to happen but dreaming is fun.
Promotion Ambition on 17:12 - Jun 3 with 2901 viewsPinnerPaul

Promotion Ambition on 16:56 - Jun 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s not going to happen but dreaming is fun.

Bookies reckon we have about a 12% chance of making it next season so not ENTIRELY fanciful!
Promotion Ambition on 17:28 - Jun 3 with 2840 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Promotion Ambition on 17:12 - Jun 3 by PinnerPaul

Bookies reckon we have about a 12% chance of making it next season so not ENTIRELY fanciful!

Is that Promotion or Playoffs?
Promotion Ambition on 17:38 - Jun 3 with 2768 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Promotion Ambition on 16:10 - Jun 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Same as Davman.

Spend fck all, have a good time at away days, enjoy the occasional win, come back down with enough dosh to pay for the training ground / stadium then repeat.

My only remaining QPR bucket list item is to see them play away in Europe.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 16:12]

Don't forget to buy a return flight now Baz
Promotion Ambition on 17:39 - Jun 3 with 2784 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Promotion Ambition on 16:50 - Jun 3 by Myke

Who else Brian? - Willock has the potential to be as good as his bro possibly. Jo jo, much lauded on here has been rejected (twice) by Fulham as a prem player. Chaz obviously can't cut it at that level anymore.

Well, I suppose my point is that either if we only have three players next season capable of starting the following season in the Premier League we probably won't go up in the first place.

Promotion Ambition on 17:59 - Jun 3 with 2714 viewsPinnerPaul

Promotion Ambition on 17:28 - Jun 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is that Promotion or Playoffs?

7/1 for promotion.
Promotion Ambition on 18:01 - Jun 3 with 2702 viewsgazza1

There is so much strange and unreal stuff by Posters ...... probably not 'real' football people.

Of course we want to get promoted next season, everyone at the Club on the footballing side, bar none, will want promotion. I would also suggest that 99.9% of them think that we may have a chance, 2/3 more proper decent signings and we will be in with a proper chance.

And posters here are saying, refuse it, we will get beatings and so on.....promotion will build our club to that greatness we has several years ago and stop supporters from other teams laughing at us (it doesnt bother me if they laugh at us btw).

Madness, Promotion is paramount to us to build our club into a force in football again.
Promotion Ambition on 18:06 - Jun 3 with 2665 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Promotion Ambition on 18:01 - Jun 3 by gazza1

There is so much strange and unreal stuff by Posters ...... probably not 'real' football people.

Of course we want to get promoted next season, everyone at the Club on the footballing side, bar none, will want promotion. I would also suggest that 99.9% of them think that we may have a chance, 2/3 more proper decent signings and we will be in with a proper chance.

And posters here are saying, refuse it, we will get beatings and so on.....promotion will build our club to that greatness we has several years ago and stop supporters from other teams laughing at us (it doesnt bother me if they laugh at us btw).

Madness, Promotion is paramount to us to build our club into a force in football again.

What’s a real football person?
Promotion Ambition on 18:08 - Jun 3 with 2663 viewsgazza1

Clive Whittingham
[Post edited 3 Jun 2021 18:09]
Promotion Ambition on 18:13 - Jun 3 with 2642 viewsMyke

Promotion Ambition on 17:39 - Jun 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, I suppose my point is that either if we only have three players next season capable of starting the following season in the Premier League we probably won't go up in the first place.

Fair enough I take your point your making. But let's say, for the sake of argument, we finished sixth with our current squad (including Jojo) and then made it up via play-offs. We can exclude Wallace, Barbet, Jorgi, Kakay, Carroll Ball, Jojo, Chaz,Dykes, Adomah and So Dieng, Dickie and Chair. Possibly Willock and Field (based on development potential ) and sin e, I think
Promotion Ambition on 18:31 - Jun 3 with 2580 viewswood_hoop

Yes please with both hands.

I am sure lessons have been learnt from the last time we where there, would also like us to give it a damn good go at staying there if it did happen, yo yo may be on the cards but again a big IF we ever get there, cross each bridge as it comes with style dignity and grace, I want our club on every one's lips but not in the same catergory as the 6 who tried hard to wreck our beloved game.
Promotion Ambition on 18:35 - Jun 3 with 2566 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Promotion Ambition on 18:13 - Jun 3 by Myke

Fair enough I take your point your making. But let's say, for the sake of argument, we finished sixth with our current squad (including Jojo) and then made it up via play-offs. We can exclude Wallace, Barbet, Jorgi, Kakay, Carroll Ball, Jojo, Chaz,Dykes, Adomah and So Dieng, Dickie and Chair. Possibly Willock and Field (based on development potential ) and sin e, I think

If - and I think it's a big if and I refuse to get over-excited as it might ruin my enjoyment of the season - we finished sixth and were good enough to win the Play-Offs then I think it could only be because most of Barbet, deWijs, JoJo, Dykes and Austin as well as the five you mentioned all played at near-Premier League standard, so they would be worthy of a shot at the Premier League, with maybe one or two quality additions.

I'm not sure that's likely to happen, though.

Promotion Ambition on 20:02 - Jun 3 with 2441 viewskensalriser

When we're comfortably in the top six with at least 20 games gone I might start thinking about it.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Promotion Ambition on 21:24 - Jun 3 with 2323 viewsDWQPR

What a pleasant read when compared to post/pre season last year and the year before when we were contemplating the loss of Eze, Hugill, Wells, Hall and at that time potentially Manning and BOS and along with the bookies we were thinking that survival would be a good outcome. Now we seem to be a couple of shrewd signings away from potential promotion and I don’t disagree with that. Players that are likely to survive in the PL could well include players that we thought were struggling to cope with the championship, the likes of Wallace, Dykes and Barbet to name a few. But pretty much every player has grown in the last five months in terms of ability and confidence. I suggest that the most important member of the club that will make or break a season in the PL is the manager. And I think Warburton will cope well enough.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Promotion Ambition on 21:48 - Jun 3 with 2269 viewsdaveB

We are miles away from the Prem but clubs like Leeds, Palace, Burnley, Southampton and Leicester have shown you can go up and do well it doesn't have to be miserable.

There is a hell of a lot to do though before we worry about this, If we finish higher than this season we've done well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024